Start by marking “Ferals (Ferals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ferals (Ferals, #1)

Ferals

(Ferals #1)

A sinister threat. A city in danger. A boy with the power to command the crows. Ferals is the first book in a dark, action-packed trilogy that’s part The Graveyard Book, part Batman, and all high-octane adventure.

Blackstone was once a thriving metropolis. But that was before the Dark Summer—a wave of violence and crime that swept through the city eight years ago, orchestr
Published April 28th 2015 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ferals, please sign up.
Online Eccentric Librarian The very basic aspect of a feral is to communicate with a type of animal. But the crows are especial and the abilities go far beyond just…moreThe very basic aspect of a feral is to communicate with a type of animal. But the crows are especial and the abilities go far beyond just communicating. So really, he only knows 10% of what it means to be a feral and will have to learn a whole lot more as the story progresses.(less)

Faye, la Patata
You know what's really hard? It is to read a book from a certain demographic that gave you a migraine, just right after you read another book from the same category that made you fly the heavens because of absolute ecstasy. There is always that voice in your head comparing the two, asking why is it like this when the other one did it better? More often than not, your mind fools itself to think that the book is actually worse than it is. I know I have to take that into account, but I can't deny that my feelinhard? ...more
Lex
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty good. Fast paced book. Finished it within one night shift. Lol.
Justine
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book even though it could be too childish at times for me. I know I probably would've really loved the book when I was in second grade. I can't really say too much about it because of spoilers but I would recommend it to younger people that like fantasy, and people who like animals.
Bee

Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

This book was so awesome! I started this right before I went to bed. I snuggled up under my blanket (it was winter and cold when I read this), thinking I'd read a bit to see if it was something I liked and before I knew it, it was almost three hours later and I was more than 60% through. I forced myself to go to sleep and yes it was painful to do. Ferals is fantastic.

Eight years ago, a wave of violence and crime called the Dark Summer s
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ferals by Jacob Grey is the new middle grade read that is sure to please young readers looking for a darker and grittier story. The writing in Ferals is filled with great atmosphere as the young hero Caw discovers his ability as a Feral and sets out to rescue his friend and city from the evil clutches of The Spinning Man.

The Boy Who Could Call the Crows

Caw is a brave and clever young hero with the ability to call the Crows to him when he needs help. Raised by three crows
Brenda Waworga
That was such a fun story!! started this with low expectation since im not a huge Middle Grade reader.. i found myself surprised how much i enjoyed the story

i love the idea about Feral! (people who can control and speak to certain animal) its so freaking cool and the main character is loveable 😍😍 i also love the banter between him and his crows (yeah the crows here are pretty sassy and i love it)

However its indeed a very light story 😁

Adventure, mystery and mag
Lottie Berinson
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found myself wishing it was real.
Cheryl
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
My nephews will really enjoy this book. This is a great thing as I picked this book up for them in mind. However, I did not really see too much similarity to the Batman reference. I thought that this book was in its own way different from Batman and this is a good thing. I like different.

Caw is someone that the readers can connect with. He is the underdog that turns into the hero. Plus, he has a cool ability to be able to communicate with crows like a horse whisperer.in addition, I liked the na
Dawn
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heroes for the younger generation which will grow up with them as the story progresses . Well written, fast paced and interesting and likeable characters. The orphaned Caw and the crows especially with his new friends the brave Lydia., Crumb and Pip and their animals. I can see why this has been snapped up by 31 countries and film makers already. it would make an awesome film if it is done right. Good versus evil, Caw has so much to learn. Interested to read more:)
Maggie Bryngelson
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Can I just say, the names in this book, were so ironic, and so badly made that I basically cringed on every page as it mentioned people;s names. I mean, there's a kid named Caw, who can talk to crows. And what are his crow's names? Oh their names are Screech, and Milky. I did somewhat enjoy the story though, even if it had god-awful names.
Anna (BooksandBookends)
I received a free copy of this book by the book's publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Caw keeps having the same dream/nightmare every night. He's being thrown out of a window by his parents and then is saved by crows. The thing is, it doesn't feel like a dream, it's more of a memory to be precise. Living without his parents, Caw's sole companions are three crows. Living and finding food with his three crow companions is day to day life until everything changes. Why can Ca
Evelina
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was an OK middle grade read, however, it is strange that its publisher made the connection between it and The Graveyard book or even Batman. Perhaps it has something to do with how Caw, the child protagonist, grew up without his parents and was raised by crows, just like Bruce Wayne lost his mother and father and Nobody Owens was raised by dead souls on the Graveyard. But it might have been better that the connection hadn’t been made because once the reader hears those word before having la ...more
KristinaSkjoe
Was it a good book? Yes.
Did I like it? Yes
Will I read the next one? Yes
I actually liked this book more than I thought I would, and I love the plot of the series.

For me the book is a little short, I would have liked to be longer and more detailed. But all in all it was a good book :)
Gergana
Dec 20, 2014 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me
Read from September 26 to 27, 2015, DNF
Ahhh, pretty cover...helas, it was not meant to be.
Dani
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
As soon as I saw the cover of this book I immediatly felt attracted to it. I wanted to buy it but unfortunately I couldn't; a few months later my girlfriend gave me the ebook version and I just devoured every page.

I have to be honest, this book is amazing!
The whole concept of Ferals and the extraordinary powers was brilliant.
Jacob has created a dark and gritty atmosphere and I could feel it right from the first page. I was hooked and I loved every second of it.

This book
Lilian Flesher
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-reads
I received a copy of this from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The main character is a young boy named Caw, who at the tender age of 5 was kicked out of his home by his parents. He survived with the help of crows, he survived by foraging for food. He kept himself secluded until events took a turn, this involved a prison break and an attack by the escapees on a young girl called Lydia. Caw saves her and befriends her.

Caw realises the prisoners ar
D.J.
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley to read in exchange for a review. I read it on the long commute to and from a conference in London. I was quickly absorbed in the book, almost lost in deep in the richly textured folds of the plot, so much so that when the conductor asked me for my ticket I actually jumped in fright. It wasn't until that point that I realised just how loud the other passengers on the train were being. If you want a book to get lost in then I highly recommend Ferals!

I
Totoro
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
i simply loved the idea at first, and honestly it didn't change much throughout the book, i loved crows, the idea of animals talking, (they were cute too :) especially Screech.) and the bond between humans and animals.
i say my love for the book didn't change, and it was that, just love. like when you eat a cupcake there's no challenge, no ups and downs, not much excitement, simple. frankly i like a little emotional roller coaster once in a while and i just accepted the fact that Ferals was
Alexander Draganov
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a second time in a row I give a book five star rating when curious about the negativity of some of the voters. "Ferals" is an excellent fantasy story with unique setting and very original idea for superpowers of the characters. The plot is similar to Harry Potter, but few of the top books in this segment of the genre /middle grade and young adult/ aren't. Despite this the characters are likeable and interesting, the descriptions good, the action better and the villain chilling. I found nothi ...more
Edgar Perez
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
pretty good pace, interesting plot.
I loved the idea of having an animal whisperer for every specias.

I was complete story.
but i'd surely like to see the next intallment.
let's wait until 2016

CJ Janzen
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good start to what looks to be an interesting YA series.
Sara
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, junior-books
I really found this one poorly written. The language did not catch me.
NENE
Sep 26, 2019 added it
Justin
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cool-covers
Ferals Book Review

by Jacob Grey

I give this book 3.5 crow talkers out of 5. What? I liked it...

Ferals Alternate Book Cover

First of all, let's start with the book cover. The cover above is absolutely beautiful (the one above.) I say its one of my favorite covers of all time. The color palette is tight, the typography plays into the scene and helps create an effective ambiance. In fact, it was the cover that attracted me to the book initia
Christian Daulat
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I suppose just looking at the cover of this book explains that it isn't the most adult book around, but it is readable, and it is great. However, I wouldn't go anything above, "great."

I read this book over the summer, every once and a while, and I feel like this book is incredibly underwhelming. The fact that, the Spinning Man was going to take over the city, Caw's hometown, he didn't take it like a normal person. Even though he isn't a normal person. I feel like when he went up aga
Brooke Charlton
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ferals by Jacob Grey is a story revolving around Caw, a thirteen year old boy who can communicate with crows.

This story, I found quite clever. With the aspects of fereals and their powers, the execution and use of these powers were quite clever and interesting. I found myself invested in the abilities of the crow talker, the pigeon talker and others. And more over, I found even the main villains to be creepy because of their ferals and how they use them.
The story was good, however nothing spec
Saruuh Kelsey
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
((2.5 stars))

I'm really sad this book had so many insects in it, because I think it would have been amazing. But I just kept cringing and flinching at every scene with a tonne of spiders and roaches and I almost backed out of the book and stopped reading. I'm glad I didn't though, because the book itself grew in strength in the last half.

I liked Caw, but I didn't have that much of an opinion in him. Mostly I liked his interaction with the crows, and how he refused to back
A. Nixon
Sometimes I really wish that books came with 'bug' ratings, such as, "If you're not a fan of bugs, definitely avoid this read." Because I had some squeamish moments, not going to lie.

But, it's an interesting read. There's some solid world building and an interesting overall premise, although I think the balance of time and action is a little uneven. The later half of the book is a little too fast-paced (rushing from point A to point B while training option C) while the beginning drag
Just_me
Great story idea, not perfectly executed but enough drama for my 13 year old son to be happy with.
Noe M.E.
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Slow
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Alexander's Army (Unicorne Files, #2)
  • Hounacier (Valducan, #2)
  • Darkmouth #1: The Legends Begin
  • Undead Chaos (The Shifter Chronicles, #1)
  • Witches for Hire (Odds Jobs,  #1)
  • Accession of the Stone Born: Nine Realms Saga (Vigiles Urbani Chronicles Book 1)
  • Child of the Flames (The Seven Signs, #1)
  • The Man in the Long Black Coat (Dale Bruyer #1)
  • Javelin Rain (Reawakening Trilogy #2)
  • The Book of Storms (The Book of Storms Trilogy, #1)
  • Raw Power (Demon-Hearted, #1)
  • Dream Magic (Shadow Magic, #2)
  • The Case Of The Wicked Wolf (End Street Dectective Agency #2)
  • Akiri: The Scepter of Xarbaal
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • Grunt Life (Task Force Ombra #1)
  • A Sliver of Stardust (A Sliver of Stardust, #1)
  • Guns of Seneca 6 (Guns of Seneca 6, #1)
Little is known of the mysterious Jacob Grey. He is said to live in a big city in the USA, where he wanders the streets at night dreaming up his dark and twisted tales. He has a deep love of animals and even talks to crows himself . . . although no one knows if he understands their replies.

Ferals (3 books)
  • The Swarm Descends (Ferals, #2)
  • The White Widow's Revenge (Ferals, #3)