Start by marking “God's Play” as Want to Read:
God's Play

God's Play

Sixteen-year old Toby was trained by a family of hunters to kill shape-shifters — but he has a unique weapon in his arsenal. With a touch of his hand, Toby can lift the magical protection shape-shifters use to disguise themselves as human. It’s an unusual skill for a hunter, and he prefers to kill monsters the old-fashioned way: with a blade.

Because of his special skill, T
ebook
Published September 18th 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published September 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about God's Play, please sign up.
Phoebe Prince I had some ideas for the world, but with different characters. I started to work on other stories, so God's Play is a stand alone at the moment (until…moreI had some ideas for the world, but with different characters. I started to work on other stories, so God's Play is a stand alone at the moment (until I can make the sequels work out).(less)

Liviania
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
H.D. Lynn's debut novel GOD'S PLAY is the story of Toby, a hunter; William, a shapeshifter; and Cassie, a Gorgon. Although it is mostly Toby and William's story, with Cassie's point of view thrown in to explain who some of the many characters are.

I thought Cassie was very interesting. She's an older monster, one of the oldest, and had to live in isolation due to her abilities. She's terrified by Toby, who has the ability to lift the Veil in addition to being a monster hunter. The Veil is a bit o
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
3.5

*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sixteen-yr-old Toby comes from a long line of hunters. However, Toby is different from all the other hunters in his family and elsewhere. With a touch he can lift the Veil the monsters use to hide from humans and reveals their true face. His mother doesn’t want him to tell people about his ability. Instead she trains him as a regular hunter with a preference for knives over guns. When a hunting mission goes wrong and T
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Although this book did have one of my pet peeves (multiple first person POVs), I still found it really easy to read and I enjoyed the storyline and reading about the characters.

Unlike most multiple first person books, I found each of the main characters in this book to be really well-written and interesting. I particularly liked the relationship that formed between Toby and William and I would have
Alice
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
God’s Play, is a novel with different viewpoints that enrich the content of the story. It shows the history of William and Toby, a hunter and shifters. Their fates are bound due to an accident in which both will have to find out who is planning to ambush hunters while if behind all this Cycle.

Well, I must start by saying that the title caught my eye, and I decided to give it a try. He needed something fancy these days. I do not regret is very entertaining if you are looking for this type of genr
Casia Courtier
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
There are a lot of things that I liked about H.D. Lynn's God's Play, but unfortunately it wasn't a book that grabbed me completely.

H.D. Lynn developed an interesting world where the monsters of old are alive and well in our modern times. The first generation of monsters are more human now than the younger generations, who can change from their human to monster form. I liked how the history of the world is told through two different viewpoints. There is the hunter viewpoint where all monsters are
Tracy
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, teen

Not enough gods,iffy pacing and development, and not enough chemistry in this teen paranormal story about a world with shapeshifters and hunters. It took me over 2 weeks off and on to finish this. I liked the premise about a world with shapeshifters, aka monsters, forced to take human form to live in the "normal" world by the creation of a magical Veil, but there are rebellious factions among the shapeshifters who resent the Veil's presence and attack humans, and there is a secret organ
Lady
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Monsters Within

This book was an awesome read! The characters are all very unique and well written. There are no sex scenes but the sexuality is fluid and malleable such as it should be. People love each other for themselves not what happens to be between their legs. I find this incredibly believable in a race of immortals and what's more I find it enviable. Everyone should always be free to love without judgment as long as it is reciprocated and does not harm the object of said affection. Th
Maria Beltrami
The ancient gods and the ancient monsters are back, protected by the Veil, a spell that allows them to pass for human. Dedicated to their elimination are the Hunters, a kind of secret society whose members exercise vigorously to kill as many monster as possible. Among the Hunters stands out Toby, who has the unusual characteristic of being able to lift the Veil, thus unmasking the monsters.
But who actually is Toby, and most importantly, who are his real friends?
Great urban fantasy in which the m
Amanda G. (Nellie and Co.
Oct 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sometimes, you get books that just really really don't take your fancy, and I was surprised to find that Gods Play was in fact one of those books. I wasn't sure to begin with whether it would be a LGBT romance between the main characters, I wasn't exactly sure on what the plot itself would be and I really wasn't sure I was ready for shifters, animals, witches and powers and it turns out that I really wasn't with this novel.

I got around 25% in and at this point, I wasn't connected to anyone, I wa
Diane Lynch
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
God's Play by H.D. Lynn 3 of 5 Stars

Sixteen-year-old Hunter, Toby, has an unusual gift of lifting the Veil and revealing shape-shifters. After an ambush that killed his mother and colleges, Toby is rescued by a Jackal shifter named William. Together they hunt down the wolf that killed Toby’s mother; simultaneously, others are searching for Toby because of his ability to lift the Veil.

Diane Lynch
3 of 5 Stars

Toby is a brave hero. He knows he is different and tries to hide it. He loved his mother and is determined to avenge her. I liked that,
Lara Hues
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm 40% done with this book and while the writing is really good, descriptive and visual, I'm afraid I have to stop for one simple reason.
Too much swearing.
I can handle some language in my books, but my curiosity regarding the outcome of the story is outweighed by my discomfort.
Maybe I'll try to finish it later, meanwhile, I'm starting a new book.
Also, the POV switches are a little bit much, though I think POV changes tend to be that way, and all things considered LYNN does a fantastic job.
If
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Toby is born into a family of.monster hunters--those who track and kill bloodthirsty shapeshifters. Although trained and skillful in attack, Toby' s gift is catalyzing the shift: in his presence, at his touch, shifters resume their not-human forms, unavoidably. During a plotted ambush, Toby' s uncle and mother are killed, and Toby himself is taken captive--by a shapeshifter.
Karla
This book didn't do it for me. I found it dragged on and went nowhere fast. I tried a few times to read the book, putting it down only after a few pages.

Didn't connect with the characters, dialogue was boring. Limited world building.

Elizabeth
DNF at 80% because the loan expired. WOuld have gladly finished and review otherwise.
Victor
May 12, 2017
Bless
Nov 17, 2016
  • The Other Lamb
  • Fractured Earth (The Actuator, #1)
  • Zhukov's Dogs
  • Hapenny Magick
  • Fifteen (The Dreamwalker Diaries #1)
  • Untaken
  • The Gateway Through Which They Came
  • The Lure of Fools (The Age of the Infinite, #1)
  • Homunculus and the Cat
  • The Tower Must Fall
  • The Naked Writer
  • The Accidental Superheroine
  • Lex De Mortuis (Division Zero, #2)
  • The Girl Without Magic (Chronicles of Maggie Trent, #1)
  • The Traveler's Wake
  • How to Date Dead Guys (The Witch's Handbook, #1)
  • The Undead: Playing for Keeps
  • Myths of Mish (Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles #2)