Start by marking “The Mechanical Theater” as Want to Read:
The Mechanical Theater

The Mechanical Theater

(Chroniker City #2)

A Chroniker City Novella

Petra Wade’s older brother, Solomon, has always dreamed of being an actor. Instead, he works grueling shifts in the clockwork city’s boiler rooms to help support his large adopted family. When Le Theatre Mecanique holds an open call for their upcoming performance, he decides to audition. However, the only role he is suitable to fill is that of the t
ebook
Published June 9th 2015 by Harper Voyager Impulse (first published April 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Mechanical Theater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mechanical Theater

Marlene
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

I finally picked The Mechanical Theater out of my towering TBR pile because I liked the first full-length novel in the Chroniker City series, The Brass Giant, enough that when I noticed that the second full-length novel in the series, The Guild Conspiracy, is coming out next month, and I wanted to catch up.

And I needed at least one short book this week. So here we are.

Although The Mechanical Theater definitely takes place after The Brass Giant, the events i
Liz
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
A Goodreads Giveaway Book

I was delighted to win Brooke Johnson's novella, Le Theatre Mecanique through a goodreads first reads giveaway.

This is a quick, well-written read. Johnson creates a beautiful Victorian steampunk world in which Solomon Wade and his small adventure in the theatre take center stage.

A great new world in YA science fiction, I would recommend Johnson's novella to anyone interested in this genre.
R. A. Desilets
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guys - you know how much I adore Clockwork Giant?

I like this more.

While it is steampunk, instead of being this epic adventure, it is a realistic, refreshing story. The characters and their motivations are simplistic, desires that we experience in real life. It made the characters more believable and more tangible.

Solomon, our MC and the brother of Petra from Clockwork Giant, was done insanely well. His core desire is to join the theatre, but also be able to save his youngest sister from the ill
Beth Cato
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, ebook, steampunk, romance
I needed an enjoyable, easy read to make up for another book-in-progress being a big disappointment. I opened up The Mechanical Theater and found exactly what I needed. The cast features good people trying to do their best under stressful circumstances. Solomon is a good man, a good brother, and an aspiring actor. He doesn't hesitate to take on multiple jobs if it means the money will help keep his sister alive... and at the same time, he accepts a menial job at La Theatre Mecanique so he can wo ...more
David Riehl
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-books
All I've got to say is this was a quick and enjoyable read. Once again, you were pulling for a lot of the characters, like Solomon, Dahlia, and especially Emily, who was suffering from pneumonia. And there was only one antagonist, that person being Damien. Overall, this was a really enjoyable read!
Damian Trasler
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eoghann Irving
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas, steampunk
By setting Le Theatre Mecanique is technically steampunk, but the story itself really isn't. That's because this novella is set in the same world (and I believe features one or more characters from) the authors novel The Clockwork Giant.

So don't go in expecting all the over the top elements that steampunk often denotes. What we're looking at here is a small and sweet tale about a young man struggling to look after his family and to follow a dream he has.

I'll call the setting Victorianish just to
Daniel Swensen
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Le Theatre Mecanique is a tight, compact tale of a man working hard to fulfill his dream, with a leavening of Shakespeare-love thrown in for good measure.

A tie-in to the Chroniker City series, La Theater Mecanique features one of the characters from that book, Solomon Wade, a man with many obstacles in his path. He wants to join the theater and act, but he has a family to support, a brutal job to hold down, and an ill sister in need of medication.

Brooke Johnson does an excellent job of stackin
Nancy
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A charming glimpse of Petra's family and her brother Wade's devotion to caring for their sister Emily by working 24 hour shifts at the boilers and taking on every other odd job that he can. The wonderfully intricate steampunk details bring the city to life and provide a welcome addition to this continuing story!
Leslie Rush
Tabby
May 12, 2016
jan simpson
Jun 11, 2017
Brooke Johnson is a stay-at-home mom and tea-loving writer. As the jack-of-all-trades bard of the family, she journeys through life with her husband, daughter, and dog. She currently resides in Northwest Arkansas but hopes to one day live somewhere more mountainous.

Chroniker City (2 books)