Start by marking “Mindful Movements: Mindfulness Exercises Developed by Thich Nhat Hanh and the Plum Village Sangha” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Renowned teacher of mindfulness meditation Thich Nhat Hanh guides the reader through a series of gentle exercises created specifically to cultivate a joyful awareness of the body and breath.
Spiral-bound, 62 pages
Published July 28th 2008 by Parallax Press (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mindful Movements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindful Movements

Riobhcah
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, zen, yoga
What a beautiful and precious little book. Thich Nhat Hanh never ceases to amaze me that he can write so much meaning into his wonderful little books. The "mindfulness movements" that are the centre of this book are great low-stress exercises and definitely made me feel better when I was a little stressed. They don't take too long and are a great way to stop during the day and practice some mindful breathing. They will continue to be a part of my daily repertoire.
Nikki
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gem! I always enjoy Nhat Hanh's work. This one feels especially magical because of the beautiful illustrations included. The ten mindful movements then are described carefully in the book, or you can watch them on the accompanying DVD. I just found them to be a great way to really wake up into the body, to quiet the mind, and start the day. :)
Skathi
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this cute little thing! And the ten mindful movements! Just tried them after a crazy day, coming home exhausted and stressed out. Instead of collapsing on the couch with a thousand thougts whirling in my head I put on the dvd, did the program and felt grounded, calm and more like myself afterwards. The movements are lovely actually, feels good and does good :)
C.
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Although I practice yoga, I don't always have the time I would like, and this is a nice way to still check out and check in with myself. It has also proven a great way to engage my children. My toddler is especially willing to engage in the process with me, which is enjoyable for both of us. My son is a little more resistant, being 9, but he's capable of doing all of the poses, and when he's in the mood, it's a good way to relax together. The book is highly accessible ...more
Marissa Barbieri
Sep 03, 2008 marked it as to-read
This is a reprint (with DVD!) of a book that came out a decade ago from Thay and the other fine folks at Plum Village (where I'd love to spend time some day) Now entering my 5th month of both a)being extremely mindful of my movements and b)losing my shit, I figured it'd be good for me. I can't do a lot of yoga poses without fear of dislocating a hip or two, but these are fairly simple and gentle, so I think I'll be cool. As long as I don't have to cross my legs, which is now forbidden. :(
Melissa Fish
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful little book! This would be an excellent and thoughtful gift. It's just a little picture book/DVD with very easy exercises that bring your mind to the present and leave you with a long-lasting feeling of well-being.
Joe
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
10 mindful movements are described in detailed brevity. The illustrations are wonderful - very inclusive and welcoming. I'm hoping the book will be a great addition to my classroom library - the book as a whole is very kid-friendly. Will try the DVD with students soon.
Nickie
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll use this book and it's movements along with the dvd for teaching children and adults. Another way to bring attention to the body and mind and preparing for yoga and meditation.
Michael
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Not really calibrated to the kind of exercise I like. It's a little too quiet. That's probably the point. Good for kids though.
Nina
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reminder to live a mindful life.
Ame
Dec 04, 2008 is currently reading it
this caught my eye right away; I stayed within budget and got a dvd to boot!!
Megan
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas for movement practice with children or older folks. I may do some of these with my students during our "brain breaks."
Fiona
I enjoyed the exercises. Very calming.
Wenders
Randomproxy
Nov 14, 2015
Hollielf
Jun 06, 2014
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles
  • Developing Intuition: Practical Guidance for Daily Life
  • The Intuitive Way: A Guide to Living from Inner Wisdom
  • Riding Between the Worlds: Expanding Our Potential Through the Way of the Horse
  • Peaceful Piggy Meditation
  • Mandala Symbolism
  • I Once Was a Monkey: Stories Buddha Told
  • Fearless Creating
  • Shadowscapes Tarot
  • The Tao of Watercolor: A Revolutionary Approach to the Practice of Painting (Practical Art Books)
  • Animal Reiki: Using Energy to Heal the Animals in Your Life
  • The Big Questions: A Buddhist Response to Life's Most Challenging Mysteries
  • How To Live 365 Days A Year
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • Healing with Form, Energy, and Light: The Five Elements in Tibetan Shamanism, Tantra, and Dzogchen
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...
“If we bring mindfulness into every aspect of our life, we cannot help but experience life’s miracles.   THE FIRST MIRACLE is to be present and able to touch deeply the miracles of life, like the blue sky, a flower, the smile of a child.   THE SECOND MIRACLE is to make the other—the sky, a flower, a child—present also. Then we have the opportunity to see each other deeply.   THE THIRD MIRACLE is to nourish the object of your attention with full awareness and appropriate attention.   THE FOURTH MIRACLE is to relieve the suffering of others.” 0 likes