Start by marking “Blades of Magic (Crown Service, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blades of Magic (Crown Service, #1)

Blades of Magic (Crown Service #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  1,779 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
Alternate Cover edition here

It is not a peaceful time in the Algardis Empire. War is raging between the mages and seventeen-year-old Sara Fairchild will be right in the middle of it.

She just doesn't know it yet.

Published March 31st 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Blades of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blades of Magic

Sylvia Mercedes
The Kickbutt Heroine Fantasy Genre is pretty much my favorite. It's a genre with lots of tropes, but they're tropes I can't get enough of -- particularly the trope of a strong young heroine with a secret and unusual power she is only just discovering. There are infinite ways to handle this trope, making it feel fresh, but it's full of universal relevance at the same time. (How many of us women need to realize that WE also have unusual power we haven't yet begun to discover?)

Blades of Magic is a
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Blades of Magic is a young adult fantasy. I usually avoid young adult reads, but I picked this one up for free from Amazon and deiced to give it a go.

I was soon drawn into a world full of unexpected things, a variety of different magics, and a young character who has a backbone, a sense of honor, and strength. The writing was easy and fluid allowing me to get immersed in the story. The world is vast and we only get a taste. Their are hints of a complex political situation which created a civil
Gary Sundell
I enjoyed this first book in this series. Looking forward to reading more about Sara, the young battlemage and her friend the archivist, Ezekial.
James Davis
Jan 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-truly-awful, bad
This book couldn't decide what its plot was. There were about seven plots jammed together in a haphazard, Frankensteinian fashion. The characters were jarring and abrasive, with no redeeming qualities. This was an ignoble beginning to 2015's reading list.

Some basics: if you're going to give your main character superpowers that have severe drawbacks to counter them, introduce them in balanced fashion. If your main character had a life of wealth and privilege and is suddenly brought low, for the l
Rachel
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
First, the good: There is a sense of a larger world here, with hints at some complexity in the political situation that created the civil war that serves as the story's backdrop. There is an interesting variety of magic (more on this later) and mentions of an unexpected past that informs the culture that main character Sara lives in.

The mediocre: The basic story is of the often-used "special young person sets off on a quest to right family wrongs" variety, with a side of "chosen one who doesn't
FictionForesight
May 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dan-s
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

Review:

Blades of Magic was a book with so much potential…but ended up being a disappointment. Set in the fantasy world of the Algardis Empire, the daughter of a disgraced military leader tries to find out what happened to her father who was executed on the battlefield for a mysterious act of treason. The more the protagonist, Sara, finds out, the more dangerous and mysterious her life becomes.

The Good:

The best thing about this book was the magic! Each
Jonel Boyko
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the beautiful world of Sandrin, a magical place where the most unexpected things happen and where your imagination runs away with you.

Edun’s breathes life into this remarkable story. Her easy and fluid writing style allows you to immerse yourself fully in the story at hand. She creates a remarkable world that is larger than life at times. The mix of magic and humanity completes the picture for this unforgettable tale. It’s exciting and adventuresome, taking you a fast paced ride. The
Stacey Brutger
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DESCRIPTION:

She just doesn't know it yet.

Sara is the daughter of a disgraced imperial commander, executed for desertion. Sara is also the best duelist and hand-to-hand combatant in Sandrin. She lives quietly with her family's shame but when challenged about her family's honor, her opponent inevitably loses.

On the night she finds out her father'
Sharon Michael
Dec 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I liked this well enough to be thinking it would end up being a 'keep to re-read' which doesn't happen too often with me. A lot of things to like, characters, interesting world and storyline although the plot was pretty standard. That was until the last 10 pages or so, as it ended as an absolute cliffhanger, just as the characters were stepping forward into a major battle.

Cliffhanger endings are a personal major issue for me, hate them. Won't be re-reading, won't be reading any more of what is a
Jason LaVelle
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy cow! This book was a crazy, hot, violent mess of awesomeness! Love it. While I miss my Ciardis stories, this was a great change of pace. If you think you know Algardis, you ain't seen nothin' yet! Sara will totally knock your socks off(then kick your a$& and take your weapons)!
Terah Edun
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
description

NOW AVAILABLE

Amazon
Kaleena ★ Reader Voracious
3.5 stars, solid first installment to a new fantasy series featuring magic and intrigue.

Blades of Magic follows Sara Fairchild, daughter of disgraced former gladiator and Commander for the Empress Vincent Fairchild. It's been months since her father was labeled a deserter and executed, but Sara and her mother never really were told why. After uncovering the mystery surrounding her father's death extends beyond the military's willingness to disclose the circumstances, she joins the mercenaries an
Richa
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, for-review
Originally posted at City of Books

Blades of Magic is an intriguing start to the Crown Service series, with lots of action and an awesome protagonist. This series is set in the same world as Terah's Courtlight series, but way back during the Initiate Wars. I found it pretty interesting to see a different perspective on things, though I hope to see more of the world in the coming books.

Sara spends her time fighting in the streets to uphold her family honour, after her father was killed for suppose
Nikki
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My copy was provided by Netgalley.

Sara is the daughter of a disgraced imperial commander, but it's not like it's her fault. She loves her father, but she didn't force him to desert his army. Yet that's the way people see her family and so she shall forever be looked upon in disgust. Sara is a battle mage, but she can't find a job to help her family because no one will hire her. No one trusts her, but Sara needs to make some money to help support her mother.

When Sara is offered the chance to joi
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a copy of this audiobook for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

Man, I love audiobooks. I'm really into them now, and they make me so happy. If my eyes are tired, I can still immerse myself in a book! Take an exciting story, add a talented narrator, and you have Blades of Magic. Listening to this book made me even more excited about audiobooks as well as the fantasy genre.

Sara pulled me into her story right away. I was mystified by her father's death and wanted to find ou
AudioBookReviewer
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Blades of Magic audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Blades of Magic by Terah Edun is the first in a series called Crown Service. Sara is a Fairchild. Her father was a well-known family of battle mages. These are mages with the power to strengthen themselves to improve their abilities. Sara’s father was executed as a traitor and she’s determined to find out why. In the meantime, her family’s standing in the community has fallen and her friends have dese
Carrie Slager
[Full disclosure: I received a free ebook copy from Terah Edun in exchange for an honest review.]

I was very excited to get started on Terah Edun’s Courtlight spin-off trilogy and I admit that I had very high expectations because of an excerpt I read from chapter one. Fortunately, the rest of the book turned out being just as good, sometimes even better.

Sara Fairchild kicks butt quite literally. She’s a battle mage, meaning that her fighting skills are unparalleled and she also has a certain magi
The Intrepid Fox
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had a lot of 'eh' feelings with this book. In truth, it's rating is more of a 2.5, but I just rated 2 for the sake of it. The book starts out with the main character, Sara Fairchild, whose in a bit of a squabble. She kind of irked me a few pages in just for her lack of humanity, or lack of feeling when she was killing (I guess when your a battle mage you have that lack of emotion). I just thought it was a bit disturbing. Especially during her last kill (Simon) in that chapter...

'Everyone knew
A.K. Lindsay
Apr 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Normally, I like books that start off in the middle of action. I like to jump into a scene, get my blood pumping, and learn just enough about the main character to keep me turning the pages. Although Ms. Edun starts us off in the middle of a fight scene, I'm left cold and, even, bored.

I don't connect with Sara. In the story, she says she'll kill anyone who belittles her family (even if such belittlement occurred three
eyes.2c
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
Another extraordinary novel from Edun!

Once more a mesmerizing novel from the very talented Terah Edun. The moments of surprise, the twists and turns as the story of Sara Fairchild unfolds held my complete attention.
Edun now gives us the back story to the Initiate Wars that 'divided Algardis society.'
Sara Fairchild is the daughter of a disgraced and executed Commander and Battle Mage of the empress's armies accused of desertion. Sara is herself a Battle Mage. Trained from her early years by her
Laura Greenwood
I was a beta reader for Blades of Magic.

After the execution of her father, Sara and her mother ended up in the worst parts of Sandrin. Though as a battle mage, Sara has been training to fight for her entire life, she has now been banned from earning her living from fighting. When she takes a watcher position she meets Ezekiel, a curator for a black marketeer. But Sara wants to know why her father was executed, and the pair break into the mercenary guild, when it turns out that Sara needs to find
BookLoversLife
This is my first Terah Edun book but it definitely won't be my last. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You are brought into the story right from the start and its pretty much a non stop, action packed, roller coaster.

I loved the MC Sara. She was totally kick ass. Despite what everyone thinks about her father, she knows that deep down if he did desert then he had a really good reason to. I admired her faith in him and her tenacity to prove him innocent.

I also love Saras' powers. The idea of her powers,
Euonym
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
If I had to choose one word to sum this up, I'd probably have to go with 'meh'. It was well enough, I suppose, for an easy, I-don't-have-to-think-at-all kind of read, but I was a bit insulted as to how much I DIDN'T have to think. I felt like I was being led by the hand through the Not So Wild Land Of Fantasy Tropes:
Talented, unbeatable super badass heroine- check
Insta-friendship with an odd but hidden talented male lead-check
A troubled past and a father to avenge- double check.

I can overlook tr
Dixie Conley
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received an electronic copy of this book, part of EPIC: Fourteen Books Of Fantasy, in exchange for an honest review.

The first part of this story was semi-interesting. The heroine beats up no-goodniks and then takes a job defending an inept curator and his magical artifacts. Things happen. But then the course of the story changes as does our heroine. She becomes even more self-entitled, sets out on a course of revenge and the plot becomes the standard fantasy mercenaries off to war. Then it end
Lake Reviews
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: terah-edun
I just love Terah Edun's books. I have read all of them and will keep on reading them. If you have read the Courtlight series Blades of Magic takes place in the same world however, it is before the Courtlight series began. Sara has had a hard life since her father was killed. She fights for everything she has and trust no one. But that will change as you read. Sara well still fight but she grows to have a friendship. She enlist to the military to unravel the mysteries surrounding the death of he ...more
Joood Hooligan
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought an ecopy of this book last year, when it was released, and it's been on my TBR shelf for a while.

Seeing a women, Sara, taking the roll of protector was something I enjoyed. Not only was she strong, but she was also quite smart. With this being a YA story, I felt she was a good influence on young women. I'd also like it known that Ezekiel is already my favorite, and I'd be very upset if anything were to happen to him.

The story itself is a bit repetitious, but it was still an enjoyable an
Toby Downton
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wasn't able to finish this book (I read half of it). It wasn't attrocious, but did very little for me by way of making me care about the characters (Sara the protagonist in particular) and what was going to happen to them. The prose was simplistic and annoying in parts, the last straw being when Sara "thought something in her mind". Ooofff....! Too many other books out there to continue with this, I only bought it as part of a 13-pack fantasy collection for a dollar or something. Lesson learne ...more
Abigail
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in this book something was always happening never a dull moment, you could alway picture what was happening although i must warn you it has a lot of violence in it. i found the book entertaining, gripping and wrote amazingly the only problem was how short it was and how long i have to wait for the next one i didn't realize how new it was because i got it on kindle the 3rd of april 4 days after being published. cant wait for the next book the story has only just begun.
Tabby Shiflett
A page turner! The latest Edun novel is a fantasy-filled, action-packed quest set in a familiar world. The main character Sara is headstrong and at times rash, but has a vulnerable side too. Her loveable sidekick Ezekiel is a wonderful complement, appearing weaker at first, but he has many strengths as well. Can't wait til the next one!
Donna
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
The whole book is a raging war internally as well as externally. Creative and intrigueing. No romance, but a fun and teasing friendship.
Share your Blogs!: YA FANTASY GIVEAWAY 1 4 Mar 31, 2014 02:23AM
  • Jade (Book of Deacon Sidequests, #1)
  • Concealed Power (The Healers of Meligna, #1)
  • Mistress of Masks (Catalysts of Chaos #1)
  • The Jewel of Dantenos: A Lee Starfinder Adventure from the World of The Godling Chronicles (The Godling Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Kindling
  • A Legacy of Light (The Dragon War, #1)
  • Ren of Atikala (Kobolds; Ren of Atikala #1)
  • Unbound (The Griever's Mark #3)
  • Wild Card (Raine Benares, #0.5)
  • Honor Found (The Spare Heir, #2)
  • Apprentice Swordceror (Blademage Saga, #1)
  • The Mating Heat (Werewolves of Montana, #0.5)
  • Reborn: Devil's Blood (Reborn, #4)
  • Warrior of Ice (Warriors of Ireland, #1)
  • Eden-West (Eden, #2)
  • Caller of Light
  • Dragonfriend (Dragonfriend, #1)
  • Cloud City (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8.5)

FIND ON FACEBOOK
NEWSLETTER SIGNUP
ASK A QUESTION

NEW RELEASE

Terah Edun's latest YA Fantasy novel, BLADES OF ILLUSION, published in December 2017.

Courtlight Series:

SERIES LINK

Crown Service Series:

SERIES LINK

Forthcoming: Algardis Series

Please don't email me through Goodreads. Send a message through my website, tumblr (preferred) or twitter account for a response.
More about Terah Edun

Crown Service (4 books)
  • Blades Of Illusion (Crown Service, #2)
  • Blades Of Sorcery (Crown Service, #3)
  • Blades Of Destiny (Crown Service, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99