Start by marking “Bird Meets Cage” as Want to Read:
Bird Meets Cage

Bird Meets Cage

Dear Author,
He called himself Stardust, but one of my friends told me his name was Jean. I met him during the summer I worked at the cotton candy stand when the circus came through town.

He was made of big dreams, sunshine, and raw sense of being that I’d never known existed before him. His eyes were black as mud, his lips were the same color as the cotton candy I sold, and
Published August 11th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Bird Meets Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Meets Cage

Natasha
This story is the single most beautiful, flawlessly romantic story I've read (at least) all year.

Do you like romance? No, not the power-hungry, needy kind I so often find associated with the m/m genre. I'm talking romance. Romance so thick and surreal, it's practically tangible. Romance that starts as a hum, and then, within a moment, there's a full orchestra blaring in your ears. Romance that keeps you up at night thinking about the effect of a few simple word choices.

(This review is spoiler
☆ Todd
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
I really enjoyed this short, free story, but OMMFG, the 12 year separation. It made me want to strangle someone.

And the historical setting, from 1949 to 1961 set my queer teeth on edge. Stories where the MC's can't ever be open and honest in public are generally a huge no for me.

But this story totally worked for me from start to finish, which is a testament to just how gifted Anyta is as an author.

4.25 stars.
Jenni Lea

This is by far the best story of the entire Loves Landscapes event in my opinion. It was absolutely perfect. I want Anyta Sunday to write more stories like this. But then again, I don't as I want this to remain the special and magnificent story that it is.

Exina
Bird Meet Cage is the story of a first love, starting in 1949, when Nathan, aka Floss and Jean, aka Stardust, aka Blue first met. But at those times, Nathan was too young, and Stardust was too adventuresome to stay. After twelve years the circus comes to town again, but is there a chance for Nathan and Blue? Is Blue ready to settle down? Does Nate feel the same?

The story is nicely written – not a surprise as it is an Anyta Sunday story, and that was the main reason I’ve read it, despite the fac
Nick Pageant
Shelves: m-m
No gifs for this one - not many words either. I'm just stunned by this story. It was beautifully written, so romantic and sweet, I can't do it justice and I'm not going to try.

Thank you, Anyta Sunday, for the beautiful gift you've given all of us.

I hope everyone who hasn't read this yet will take the time and treat yourself. There's love on every page and in every carefully chosen word.

Bonus Points for Natasha's lovely cover art!
Lori
Shelves: bmbr-reads
This is possibly my favourite prompt of the event, so when it was chosen by one of my favourite authors I began an agonising wait....until, finally, today, I got to read, Bird Meets Cage. I was not disappointed.

While reading it I was transported back in time, my study disappeared and I was in the hot and humid circus field. The descriptions...oh, wow, the descriptions. Each sentence is beautifully crafted, almost lyrical in it's execution, creating the most wonderfully real atmosphere. Stardust
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Read this book twice: perfect prompt, stunning cover, sublime story.

Seventeen-year-old Nathan falls in love with a beautiful acrobat, but the circus comes to town just once a year, and Stardust always leaves. Stardust wants to fly, and Nathan's settled with his mom and sister.

When a bird wants to soar, the last thing he wants is a cage.

This is a coming-of-age story, a first-love story, a story of heartbreak, broken dreams, and abiding hope.

There is bleakness here, nostalgia, sadness;
Vivian
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you revel in tragic beauty, this story is for you.

For most of this story I felt bereft and forlorn. The setting and characters were engaging. The timeline was long and each update I felt how sad to be stuck in a moment and never leave it. So, as charming as the ending is I felt like Nathan spent years frozen, waiting, and a small part of me cried inside. The exquisite use of the prompt bumps this from 3 to 4 stars.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
“What if it is a repeat of ’49?”

Remember your first love?

Did you spend forever with them?

Did you think you’d spend forever with them?

Or was it just a moment that somehow became just a memory but one you can hold to forever?

Do you still think about them sometimes?

Wonder what could’ve been?

description

Bird Meets Cage is about the one that got away. Stardust and Floss meet at the wrong moment in time. They carve out a few memories, try to memorize one another, all those things that will have to sustain them
Ami

A good story can transport you inside the pages – make you feel like you are part of the characters’ lives or being in the world where they are. You feel like you can smell that green grass, or hear the noises on the street, just like the words on the page. Or in this case… the sound and smell of a circus.

Anyta Sunday’s second contribution to the Goodreads M/M Romance Group’s Annual Free Stories Event, “Love’s Landscape”, brought the circus to me … the smell of the dust, the sounds of p
Sheziss
“I’m the bird, and you’re the cage.”

It's a very sweet story. I enjoyed every minute of it.

However, I wasn't as captivated as I hoped I would be. It was beautiful and nice, but it didn't make my head spin.

There are many shorties that make me want more. That's not something strange, as as the definition itself says, most relationships need a big deal of pages to caress the reader's heart. But some stories just steal your heart with only a few pages. This one should have been one of those, but I
Dalia
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, historical

So, so beautiful and magical.
Somehow cage seemed to make sense. Because it was me. And I wanted to be the one that protected him; I wanted to be his home.
Sunny
4.5, rounded up because I'm still riding the feels.

Beautiful...
A bit melancholy, but not depressing.

Such vivid imagery...the sights, the smells, the atmosphere.

Wonderful characterization...distinct personalities, consistently shown thru actions and dialogue. Special nod to Danny, here. What an awesome character :)

So many feels...all those emotions Anyta yanked out of me, so effortlessly, it seemed, and with an economy of words.

So very romantic.

I had quotes all picked out for this review, but th
Ann
Simply stunning.

I could feel every scene the author wrote. All the sights and sounds of the big top were so much more than just words and the atmosphere was perfect. So moody, but not depressing and a total fantasy with just enough reality to keep it grounded.

This wasn't an over the top romance with instant declarations of undying love. It was all the beauty and heartbreak of a first love and unfortunate realities. It was a real romance that only time and distance could make happen. I absolute
Giulio
I read it all in one breath, under a beautiful starry sky. Simply flawless, not a single word wasted.

A great story for a great prompt and an awsome cover.

Why are you standing there, looking so sadly at the stars?
—Because I want one to fall, to make a wish.
Eli Easton
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full of magic. Lovely, lyrical writing. Thank you, Anyta.
Cory
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books where I ask myself 'why did it take so long for you to read this???'.

A beautiful story told over a period of time with vivid descriptions and endearing characters. I really loved it!
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Sheri
~~~

Magical, Melancholy, Maudlin, Melodic.

What a strange mix this was. A romantic little read that hit all the right notes. Just what I needed.

Thanks again for the recommendation, Sheri.

~~~
Ele
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
~4.5 stars~

I don't know what I loved the most: the prompt or the actual story?

It was only my second read by Anyta Sunday, but the woman can turn me inside out. Tons and tons of feels.

Highly recommended. And free!
* A Reader Obsessed *
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-ll, mm-love, lgbt
A very original creation, having the title perfectly represent the love story.
Bittersweet and atmospheric - a melancholy tale of dreams made, lost and reformed to bring about quite a wonderful HEA.
Renée
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Decided to pop my Anyta Sunday cherry with a short story of hers. Stunning. Simply stunning. The writing is exquisite. The prose isn't smooth, but it's beautiful. I don't know if I could read a full length with the same prose.....

Definitely 5 stars for this gorgeous story.
Andrew Gordon
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
So it's a well documented fact (I think prior comments on the internet count as documents) that I'm a huge Anyta Sunday fan, so it's no shock I really liked this story. There is just something so sweet, yet sad, yet happy about this. Yes it's short, but this is a wonderful example of how you tell a touching story in just the right amount of words.

This is a must read. Quite beautiful and wonderful.
Sara
Dammit.
This made me like love adore a clown.
It don’t like clowns.
This made me hope.
The use of names has never kicked me so hard in the gut before.
This made me sob at my desk into my coffee on an early Wednesday morning.
I don’t like the circus but… but…
This was amazing.
I want the cover framed on my wall.
This was gorgeous.
And I fell in love with a clown.
Dammit.
Debbie McGowan
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story - not sure why, as it's not my usual kind of read (i.e. I am vehemently anti-circus, and animal exploitation in general). However, no animals were harmed in the writing of this kind of historical, sort of literary, almost contemporary and a little bit Beat beautiful story.

It's a love that shouldn't be. The title says it all. But will love prevail? Probably...

A great read - I'll be perusing more from Anyta Sunday.
Sunne
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I still have to write a review....but I actually don't know how to put my adoration for this little gem in words....

photo 43_zpsdaf237f8.jpg
Lost in a Book
*hangs head in shame*

I can't believe I didn't read this book because of its size. It's Anyta Sunday for goodness sake. Anyta. Sunday. *smh*
I just want to put her in my pocket and have her tell me stories all day long.

Loved. It.

Thanks CC!!
Kim
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was gorgeous--sad and sweet and lovely.
Adrianamae
Shelves: favorites
Such good storytelling. This story made me sigh when I finished.
Catherine
That was a beautiful, bittersweet tale.
Pjm12
Evocative, magical and beautifully realised.

Most enjoyable.

• Carte Blanche
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • East
  • Broken Phoenix
  • Fighting Dirty (Fighting Dirty, #1)
  • The Spy and His Boy
  • The Arroyo
  • Man of the Match
  • Life Drawing
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Bodies in Space
  • Billie Jean
  • The Case of the Insufferable Slave
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • Under Pretenses
Hey guys,

A bit about me: I'm a big, BIG fan of slow-burn romances. I love to read and write stories with characters who slowly fall in love.

Some of my favorite tropes to read and write are: Enemies to Lovers, Friends to Lovers, Clueless Guys, Bisexual, Pansexual, Demisexual, Oblivious MCs, Everyone (Else) Can See It, Slow Burn, Love Has No Boundaries.

I write a variety of stories, Contemporary MM R