Start by marking “The Seals on the Bus” as Want to Read:
The Seals on the Bus

The Seals on the Bus

(Owlet Book)

This hilarious new version of the beloved children's song "The Wheels on the Bus" will have young readers errping and roaring and honking along.

"The seals on the bus go "errp, errp, errp"
All through the town."

Two children and their parents board a city bus on their way to a party. At the next stop, who should get on but a group of seals, who holler "errp, errp, errp" at th
Published April 1st 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Seals on the Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seals on the Bus

Celeste
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Worked well for baby rhyme time, but probably better for those a little older. With my group, I usually have several older siblings, so it was still good for the whole crowd. I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations are my favorite part, with the looks of terror and surprise on everyone's faces at all the animals on the bus. And also at the end when the adults say, "help, help, help!". Very funny.
Brittany
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun book to make animal noises to. However, I was a bit let down when I realized that it wasn't just the seals on the bus. The other animals....boring. A busload of seals would have made such a better story. Ha!
J.D. Holman
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, do my students ever love this book! It is a great read-aloud/sharing story that will have everyone singing.
Heidi-Marie
This is perfect for Animal Sounds! Fun, engaging, and playing on a familiar song. The pictures are as entertaining as the idea each page brings across.

3/2/10 & 3/4/10: Both groups loved this book. Parents sang along in both groups. The larger Tuesday crowd got a little riled from it, but they really enjoyed it. With the smaller Thursday group I had learned to slow down and ask some questions to involve the children even more than in just the singing of the new sounds. (And the shy girl sang
Jeff
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gets a really strong 4 from me. It's a good quality book and story. I enjoyed the book, at the same time, it didn't blow me over either... But it's definitely a book I could see having fun reading to - and with - preschoolers or kindergartners.

As one might expect from the book's title, "The Seals on the Bus" is a play on the traditionally well-know children's song - "The Wheels on the Bus". I like how this book uses animals (and animal sounds and noises) to enhance this particular bus
David
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A jaunty spin on the song "The Wheels on the Bus," this delightfully silly sing-along, read-aloud picture book is sure to amuse youngsters & animal aficionados alike. Seals, of course, do not go round & round like their predecessors the wheels. They go "errp errp errp." The tiger on the bus goes "roar roar roar," & the geese go "honk honk honk." When the many rabbits on the bus go "up and down," complete mayhem erupts, as, by this time, the bus is filled with seals, rabbits, geese, & ...more
jacky
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
The clever idea of this book got me to bring it home to read to Natalie, but I was a little disappointed with how well it was executed. The silly aspect of all the animals on the bus was great and I liked that there was a nice mix of animals (I get so bored with cows, ducks, and horses). But, I liked the use of "seals" instead of "wheels" and found that the other animals weren't as clever. I also thought that the sounds could have matched better. The "hiss" of the snakes was a bit like the "whis ...more
Camille Ryckman
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brief summary A bus full of animals retell the classic wheels on the bus.
Annotation - a fun rendition of the classic that is fun for both the reader and the child
Age appropriateness - This is good for children 0-5 years
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - This is a fun story to retell and sing.
Phonological awareness - the sing song rhythm makes it easy to hear the various sounds.
Opinion - This is a fun book to read aloud and you can add animals if you like but it is pretty
Vivian
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A rollicking ride on the bus with animals!
Tim Protiva
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-storytime
Different animals--including seals, tigers, geese, rabbits, monkeys, and more--make their own sounds as they ride all around the town on a bus. Awesome to use in Storytime!
Krista Lockwood
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
No awards.

This book is for ages pre-k to first grade.

This book takes a classic nursery rhyme and turns it into something new. This book is all about different types of animals including seals, geese, rabbits, skunks and more that go onto the bus. The book still has the same rhyme pattern as the original but it just as animals in it. This is a fun book to have and it can be very interactive with the students. One thing the book doesn't mention is where are all these animals going. Are they going
Jackie Sisley
The Seals on the Bus is a version of wheels on the bus that is a bit different from the one most of us know; this one features animals! This book is whacky and fun to read with children. It can be read normally or sung like the original song. Personally, I prefer to sing it as speaking it just feels weird and wrong. There is a wider variety of animals present throughout the book and some humans too. Young children get a chance to work on animal sounds throughout the book and they will likely lau ...more
Julie Barrett
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Seals on the Bus by Hort_ Lenny - Karas_ G. Brian
Cute children's story about all kinds of animals and how their sounds and actions in the bus make them go all around the town.
Children will like learning what sounds the animals make.
Nicole
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book!!!!! It's a fun rewrite to the Wheels on the bus that everyone will enjoy! I plan on reading this to my Toddler Tales this summer during Summer Quest (Summer Reading). The illustrations are great as well! I love the characters faces when something goes wrong. Great story time read!
Rebecca
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is absolutely adorable and very funny, too. My only complaint is the classic one for Fox in Socks: it's very easy to get tongue-tied when reading it aloud. (Of course, most little kids seem to enjoy that part too...)
Jessica
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
Award:

Grade:Toddler

Summary: Everyone knows "The wheels on the bus". This is an adorable version that has cute little seals. Perfect for young children.

Review: A sweet little twist on a classic song for children. It has adorable illustrations. Definitely a good book.

Uses:
•Teach about seals
•Teach about listening
•Teach about parts of the bus
Shannon
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book. This would be great for a story time, if the kids in the group like to interact with the books. You could get them to make the noises along with the animals. And the kids at my library LOVE The Wheels on the Bus, so this might be making an appearance at my story time soon!
Ms. Shoshana
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, song-books
Good story time read aloud - everyone already knows this tune! Fun animal noises, and the twist ending is great. Even at baby toddler story time, someone can usually point out why the people on the bus might want help!
Andrew Oh
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-read
Same as wheels on the bus, but with different animals. Great for animal sounds. Good for toddlers.
Katy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Great for a future storytime. Very fun animals. The skunks one is a little weird but I can't roll with it.
Valencia
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love animal sounds! Any book you can sing is great for storytime.
Amy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tot-time-books
Wheels on the bus with a variety of animals!
Jordan Turner
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is more of a fun read for early elementary, especially because of the repetitive words. I would say this book is more for illustration. Very cute!
Orion Kopf
Shelves: children-s-books
Ooooh this one is fun!
Samantha
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love to sing during storytime, and this one is great! Kids love making the animal noises.
Leslie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The kids LOVED this one at Story Time this morning. And my youngest granddaughters loved it when I shared it with them. Thanks for the idea, Jessica!
Miss Sarah
A cute version of the classic wheels on the bus song using animals on the bus instead. baby and up
Sherri
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute picture book that my special ed students enjoyed. The sounds were fun but they wished for a rabbit sound instead of just saying the rabbits went up down.
Milton Moon Louie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids knew how to react to the skunks! B
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Hello, Day!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • A Dog Is a Dog

Owlet Book (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sam, Bangs & Moonshine
  • Always Room for One More
  • Where Once There Was a Wood
  • In the Small, Small Pond
  • Aesop's Fables
  • Cactus Hotel
  • Unlovable
  • Dumpy La Rue
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions