Start by marking “The Seals on the Bus” as Want to Read:
The Seals on the Bus

The Seals on the Bus

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  2,242 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
This hilarious new version of the beloved children's song "The Wheels on the Bus" will have young readers errping and roaring and honking along.

"The seals on the bus go "errp, errp, errp"
All through the town."

Two children and their parents board a city bus on their way to a party. At the next stop, who should get on but a group of seals, who holler "errp, errp, errp" at th
Published April 1st 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Seals on the Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seals on the Bus

Celeste
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Worked well for baby rhyme time, but probably better for those a little older. With my group, I usually have several older siblings, so it was still good for the whole crowd. I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations are my favorite part, with the looks of terror and surprise on everyone's faces at all the animals on the bus. And also at the end when the adults say, "help, help, help!". Very funny.
Brittany
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun book to make animal noises to. However, I was a bit let down when I realized that it wasn't just the seals on the bus. The other animals....boring. A busload of seals would have made such a better story. Ha!
Heidi-Marie
This is perfect for Animal Sounds! Fun, engaging, and playing on a familiar song. The pictures are as entertaining as the idea each page brings across.

3/2/10 & 3/4/10: Both groups loved this book. Parents sang along in both groups. The larger Tuesday crowd got a little riled from it, but they really enjoyed it. With the smaller Thursday group I had learned to slow down and ask some questions to involve the children even more than in just the singing of the new sounds. (And the shy girl sang
Jeff
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gets a really strong 4 from me. It's a good quality book and story. I enjoyed the book, at the same time, it didn't blow me over either... But it's definitely a book I could see having fun reading to - and with - preschoolers or kindergartners.

As one might expect from the book's title, "The Seals on the Bus" is a play on the traditionally well-know children's song - "The Wheels on the Bus". I like how this book uses animals (and animal sounds and noises) to enhance this particular bus
David
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A jaunty spin on the song "The Wheels on the Bus," this delightfully silly sing-along, read-aloud picture book is sure to amuse youngsters & animal aficionados alike. Seals, of course, do not go round & round like their predecessors the wheels. They go "errp errp errp." The tiger on the bus goes "roar roar roar," & the geese go "honk honk honk." When the many rabbits on the bus go "up and down," complete mayhem erupts, as, by this time, the bus is filled with seals, rabbits, geese, & ...more
jacky
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
The clever idea of this book got me to bring it home to read to Natalie, but I was a little disappointed with how well it was executed. The silly aspect of all the animals on the bus was great and I liked that there was a nice mix of animals (I get so bored with cows, ducks, and horses). But, I liked the use of "seals" instead of "wheels" and found that the other animals weren't as clever. I also thought that the sounds could have matched better. The "hiss" of the snakes was a bit like the "whis ...more
Camille Ryckman
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brief summary A bus full of animals retell the classic wheels on the bus.
Annotation - a fun rendition of the classic that is fun for both the reader and the child
Age appropriateness - This is good for children 0-5 years
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - This is a fun story to retell and sing.
Phonological awareness - the sing song rhythm makes it easy to hear the various sounds.
Opinion - This is a fun book to read aloud and you can add animals if you like but it is pretty
Tim Protiva
Different animals--including seals, tigers, geese, rabbits, monkeys, and more--make their own sounds as they ride all around the town on a bus. Awesome to use in Storytime!
Krista Lockwood
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
No awards.

This book is for ages pre-k to first grade.

This book takes a classic nursery rhyme and turns it into something new. This book is all about different types of animals including seals, geese, rabbits, skunks and more that go onto the bus. The book still has the same rhyme pattern as the original but it just as animals in it. This is a fun book to have and it can be very interactive with the students. One thing the book doesn't mention is where are all these animals going. Are they going
Julie Barrett
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Seals on the Bus by Hort_ Lenny - Karas_ G. Brian
Cute children's story about all kinds of animals and how their sounds and actions in the bus make them go all around the town.
Children will like learning what sounds the animals make.
Rebecca
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is absolutely adorable and very funny, too. My only complaint is the classic one for Fox in Socks: it's very easy to get tongue-tied when reading it aloud. (Of course, most little kids seem to enjoy that part too...)
Jessica
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
Award:

Grade:Toddler

Summary: Everyone knows "The wheels on the bus". This is an adorable version that has cute little seals. Perfect for young children.

Review: A sweet little twist on a classic song for children. It has adorable illustrations. Definitely a good book.

Uses:
•Teach about seals
•Teach about listening
•Teach about parts of the bus
Shannon
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book. This would be great for a story time, if the kids in the group like to interact with the books. You could get them to make the noises along with the animals. And the kids at my library LOVE The Wheels on the Bus, so this might be making an appearance at my story time soon!
Andrew Oh
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-read
Same as wheels on the bus, but with different animals. Great for animal sounds. Good for toddlers.
Amy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tot-time-books
Wheels on the bus with a variety of animals!
Nessie
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Ooooh this one is fun!
Samantha
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love to sing during storytime, and this one is great! Kids love making the animal noises.
Sherri
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute picture book that my special ed students enjoyed. The sounds were fun but they wished for a rabbit sound instead of just saying the rabbits went up down.
Eliot Reads
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Favorite
Lisa Houlihan
Great fun to read with kids because you can bark like a seal and bounce like a bunny and roar like a tiger. The story doesn't follow the song or even make much sense: when the people flee the bus ("Help help help!") now full of sheep and snakes and seals and skunks, it's to a party where there is no calamity, but that doesn't matter as much as imitating the noises and pointing out that the monkey is tossing pizza dough and the sheep is squashing the man.
Leslie
Used this book in a demo storytime and I got the job! Fun version of the classic song.
Jenn Swanson
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was entertaining. My daughter and I really enjoyed it. She loved making the sounds and all the chaos in the pictures. I enjoyed the noise that the humans made. Would recommend.
Maggie Sideris
Jun 02, 2016 added it
Shelves: songs
Title: The Seals on the Bus
Grade Level: preschool- third grade
Summary: The Seals on the Bus is a play on the song 1CThe Wheels on the Bus 1D. The bus in this book has a family of four traveling on it, and while trying to get to their destination, they make many pit stops to pick up different animals. The book goes through all of the sounds the different animals make.
Review: The Seals on the Bus is a very fun and upbeat book. I thought It was very clever how they were able to change the words of
Karen
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pretty much everyone who has a child or ever was a child is familiar with "The Wheels on the Bus", but did you know there is a sequel -- and, no I don't mean the fifty-odd verses that seem to go with the original. The sequel is -- you guessed it! -- The Seals on the Bus.

The Seals on the Bus, written by Lenny Holt, illustrated by G. Brian Karas, Henry Holt and Company, 2000. Preschool to Early Elementary

The Wheels on the Bus is a fun song. The Seals on the Bus is a funny book. If you know the tun
Paul Candeias
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: imagination, animal
This book is definitely going to be one of my favorites. It is a great rendition of a classic children's song. This book could inspire different sorts of wheels on the bus variants. For this particular one with the use of animals children could be taught different animals and the noises they make.

Lesson: I thought of two activities that are connected first I would use the book during circle time and as I read the book have large animal pictures and as each animal was said I would either 1. Give
Beth
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I picked this up basically because I liked the punny title (I read a young adult novel this month for the same reason!). The idea is a pretty ordinary twist — there are animals on a bus instead of the usual wipers, doors, horn, and people from the song. Okay, maybe that’s not “ordinary” — I guess I say that just because every other picture book you find features animals. What made this stand out was the varied animals that were chosen to be on the bus (yikes; vipers on a bus??) — plus the subplo ...more
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: story times, 4-7 year olds
Recommended to Jennifer by: King County Library List
This zoological, colorful adaptation of "The Wheels On The Bus" will have kids rolling in the aisles and yelling to hear the story again. Fun animal sounds make this book a good candidate to share for preschool and kindergarten story times.

CIP:
Different aniamls--including seals, tigers, geese, rabbits, monkeys, and more--make their own sounds as they ride all around the town on a bus.

"Hop onboard." Kirkus Reviews
"Kids will love adding these zoological lyrics to the ever-expanding onomatopoeia o
Renate
This book is a take on the wheels on the bus, which many children are familiar with. The children had fun making all the animal noises of the animals that get on the bus-- a tiger, geese, monkeys, snakes, sheep, etc. The pictures are silly and fun.
There is fun rhyming song that can go with this- after you point out that seals rhymes with wheels.
Seals, wheels, these words, rhyme
We're rhyming all the time!
(Sung to the tune of Ski
Maria Burel
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think I’ve mentioned before that “The Wheels on the Bus” is one of Preschooler’s all-time favorite songs. We’re constantly on the lookout of new versions. In The Seals on the Bus, a family finds themselves amidst a noisy, traveling, zoo of seals, tigers, vipers, sheep, and more. The children are overjoyed, while the parents find themselves crying, “Help! Help! Help!” all around the town. Between the arrival of each new silly animal, the animal noises, and the fun illustrations, this quickly be ...more
Jennifer Heise
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: beekman
I checked this out for my son because when he was 2 and a half to 3 he came up with a version of "The Wheels on the Bus" which was basically different animals instead of bus parts. This reminded me of his version, and he liked it (at 4 and a half) enough to re-read several times. But I admit I liked his domesticated animal version better. Still, if your toddler/preschooler hasn't already come up with the concept on their own, they'll probably love this variant.
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Hello, Day!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • A Dog Is a Dog