Start by marking “The Gendered Society” as Want to Read:
The Gendered Society

The Gendered Society

Featuring a timely new chapter on gender and politics, the fifth edition of The Gendered Society explores current thinking about gender, both inside academia and in our everyday lives. Michael Kimmel challenges the claim that gender is limited to women's experiences--his compelling and balanced study of gender includes both masculine and feminine perspectives.

Kimmel makes
Paperback, 5th Edition, 528 pages
Published December 28th 2012 by Oxford University Press (first published January 20th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Gendered Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gendered Society

Christoph
An okay introduction to the topic of gender and society. Kimmel is especially good in showing how (cis)masculinity is not neutral and also gendered. He also debunks a lot of stereotypes and conservative, antifeminist arguments with evidence from empirical, sociological studies.
The book unfortunately sticks to a gender binary. Gay and lesbian masculinities/femininities are discussed, but trans* issues and examples are almost completely ignored. Written in 2000, the book and described examples, t
Brittany Bennett
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
This is possibly the most important book I've ever read. It completely changed the way I think about gender and the way our society views gender norms. I highly recommend it to everyone; it will make you think about things in a totally different way.
Kat
Oct 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new gender studies recruits, especially men
This book was obviously written to be a textbook for a 200-level sociology class, and as such it is very accessible (for scholarly writing) and also very broad in scope. Still, it's a delight to finally read a pro-feminist work on gender that treats men and masculinity as something as worthy of investigation as women and femininity. I'm really excited to read some of Kimmel's work that focuses more on masculinity specifically.
Anna
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only problem with this book is that it only shows American context. Witch is understandable, since this is the context it was written for, but for European (Polish specificly) people things look slightly different sometimes.
Alexander
As an observation of the state-of-gender, this work is solid. Stats and figures are cited heavily in an effort to show that American men and women are socialized to navigate the world in vastly different ways. I was unimpressed with the analysis of LG(BTQIA+) persons and found that many quotations were weak or reified the stereotypes the work attempts to critique. Kimmel- albeit unintentionally- proves that gender is an unstable framework. Our communities need only to push against assumed ways o ...more
Audrey
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this textbook for my 300 level Sociology of Gender class. I thought it was excellent. But beware! The chapters start off with an explanation of theories that are later critiqued, but many of my students missed the critique and thought that those theories were the point of the chapter.
Greg Stoll
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got sent a copy of this book because it uses a version of my same-sex marriage map, so when I got it I flipped through to find it and then set it aside. David read through it and liked it a lot, so I decided to give it a read through, and it's really quite good!

The author's main points are:
- gender differences are quite exaggerated - there's much more variability inside a gender than between them. (think of two bell curves with slightly different means, or something like that)
- It sure seems l
Andy
Intersting book on gender differences that may or may not exist. The writing style is clear and concise, not at all overly scientific, even when discussing various studies. The examples for the hypotheses are often interesting, but sometimes just a little too long and detailed; this is distracting in some chapters, e.g. because you forget what point the author really wanted to make when discussing countless sexual practices in different cultures.

Overall, definitely recommendable to everyone who
Brian's Book Blog
I wish this had been less wordy. The author is great, an expert in the field of gender, but man does he use 50 words when 20 could do.

He also has a habit of telling 2 pages worth of data, just to follow it with, but that's now how things are now.

All-in-all it is probably one of the better books I have read for a college course, but still it's a college text book.
Isaiah
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting read. It was used in a sociology of gender class I was taking. It is a book that should be read with Gender Psychological Perspectives. They are both great books and one aids the other become an amazing resource. There are many points in this book that made me angry (mostly the inaccuracies), but that is why another source is needed.
Carlos
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was simply amazing and would suggest it as required reading for everyone who thinks that sexism is a thing of the past. It was incredibly eye opening (even for a so-called feminist) to all aspects in which one fails to see the destructive influence of sexism. It brought all points of view and raised issues that I didn't even know existed. Definitely a must read for anyone.
Peter Owens
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kimmel again asks the right questions, ones that should change the way we think about gender and related social constructs.
Anne Holly
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching-related
Certainly one of the more interesting gender studies texts, and a great rounding out of the field by the heightened awareness of masculinity studies.
Grant
Aug 26, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for a Sociology class I'm taking this semester. I'll post on it soon.
Hallie Huffman
Better as it progressed. Slow starter, since the beginning felt overly technical.
Michelle
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, balanced. Unique perspective about gender inequality *causing* gender differences instead of vice versa.
Aimee Wilson
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites!
Sam
Aug 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book, and it opened my eyes to many gender issues that I'd never considered before.
Chelsea
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was for a class but it was actually intriguing.
Cassandra
Kimmel is cute and got me all excited about gender and stuff.
Vivienne
Sep 10, 2014
mechanicalsix
Jun 11, 2013
Crazyarms777
rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2018
Katherine
May 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Gendered Society Reader
  • Just One of the Guys?: Transgender Men and the Persistence of Gender Inequality
  • Deep Secrets: Boys' Friendships and the Crisis of Connection
  • Our Sexuality
  • Women and Human Development: The Capabilities Approach
  • Homophobia: A Weapon of Sexism
  • The Birth of Pleasure
  • Hey, Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets
  • The Truth That Never Hurts: Writings on Race, Gender, and Freedom
  • Feminist Theory Reader: Local and Global Perspectives
  • Coercion: Why We Listen to What "they" Say
  • Do Muslim Women Need Saving?
  • Feminist Thought: A More Comprehensive Introduction
  • Vom Wesen der Wahrheit
Michael Scott Kimmel is an American sociologist, specializing in gender studies. He is among the leading researchers and writers on men and masculinity in the world today. The author or editor of more than twenty volumes, his books include The Politics of Manhood, and The History of Men (2005).

His documentary history, "Against the Tide: Pro-Feminist Men in the United States, 1776-1990" (Beacon, 19