Start by marking “As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride” as Want to Read:
As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  41,540 ratings  ·  7,237 reviews
From actor Cary Elwes, who played the iconic role of Westley in The Princess Bride, comes a first-person account and behind-the-scenes look at the making of the cult classic film filled with never-before-told stories, exclusive photographs, and interviews with costars Robin Wright, Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, and Mandy Patinkin, as well as author and s ...more
Audiobook, 8 pages
Published October 14th 2014 by Simon Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about As You Wish, please sign up.
Jennifer Yes! Completely real and I was able to get a signed copy at showing of The Princess Bride (quote-along) and an exclusive interview with Cary Elwes…moreYes! Completely real and I was able to get a signed copy at showing of The Princess Bride (quote-along) and an exclusive interview with Cary Elwes himself about the book and his life after The Princess Bride! So far the book has been really good.(less)

Raeleen Lemay
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, nonfiction
*4.5*

I'm so mad at myself for waiting so long to read this.

This book was absolutely delightful, and made me love The Princess Bride even more than I already did. So many of Cary's stories about quirky, unusual things that took place behind the scenes (but are noticeable in the finished film, if you know where to look) make me excited to re-watch the movie yet again.

The only downside was the format. I loved getting little asides from the other cast members and director, but they were inserted so
Diane
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was the perfect audience for this memoir. I have probably seen the movie "The Princess Bride" 100 times, and I've read William Goldman's book so often that the cover is torn, the binding is broken and some pages are falling out.

Oh, and the song "Storybook Love" played at my wedding. So yes, I am a fan.

"As You Wish" is the story of how the movie "The Princess Bride" got made. Cary's perspective is the main one, but other cast and crew members shared anecdotes and behind-the-scenes stories abou
Carol.

Three stars? Inconceivable!

--I do not think that word means what you think it means--

It's true; it is barely conceivable that one could not adore "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of the Princess Bride." But despite a deep and lasting fondness for the movie (of course I own a copy), this was a mixed adventure, much like a stroll through the Fire Swamp. Despite containing fencing, giants, and the miracle of a sleeper hit, I found it lacking in fighting, revenge and true love.

I spe
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
25th anniversary

I am so tempted to give it 5 stars just for how much I love learning any new tidbit about this movie. I am such a Princess Bride fan girl. This is me when I found out the book existed.

New girl

THIS movie cover is my favorite -- see how the title is the same upside down?
upside down

The book covers how the different actors came together to be part of movie. Cary talks about his nervousness and how sweet he was on Robin.
holding hands

Cary talks about how grueling learning the swordplay was.
Just for fun, here is a link to the fam
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is a deeply affectionate, engaging story of the making of the film The Princess Bride, as told by Wesley Cary Elwes. It includes frequent sidebar comments from many of the other actors, the director, Rob Reiner, and others involved in creating this classic tale of pirates and princesses, wizards and giants, swordfighters and devious Sicilians. True love. And fights to the death.

description
As You Wish is told in a chatty, anecdotal style, and is unremittingly positive in tone (no dirty laundry being a
Bradley
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, by far and away, one of the warmest "let's get together and talk about the making of my favorite movie" books I've ever read, but I really need to remember that it's really nothing more than that. :)

I've already heard, from what seems like millions of sources, that Princess Bride touched them deeply and how it always seems to be a personal favorite film for each of us.

Hell, I find myself being one of those people. I LOVED the film. It has fantastic writing, great pacing, great acting,
MLE
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I have to say, first of all, that I love the Princess Bride. It's one of the few stories where I love the movie as much as I love the book. I can't remember the first time I watched it, whether it was on tv, or I rented it by chance from our local movie place. My sister, who is not a fantasy fan, loves this movie. Her best friend from high school loves this movie. When my sister had to give a speech at said best friend's wedding it was from the Princess Bride, and how they used the movie in the ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
Ok so I absolutely love this movie and did enjoy hearing all of the behind the scenes stories!! But oh my goodness that felt like reliving the entire process of making the movie... it was just more info than I ever cared to know. I was pretty bored in a lot of areas, buuuut can't bring myself to give a book about the making of The Princess Bride less than 3 stars.

If you REALLY love this movie and/or want to know everything Cary Elwes ever thought, then check this out.
Nancy
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember seeing "the Princess Bride" at the dollar movie at the end of 1987. I loved it completely and wondered why I'd never heard of it. Of course, I was smitten by Westley. I bought the book at the campus bookstore before I graduated the following year. The movie has since become a classic and my children quote it better than I ever did.

The actor playing Westley grew up and wrote a memoir on the making of this epic movie. I do not use epic lightly. Cary Elwes a little known actor who was ju
Trish
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with a few things in life, I discovered The Princess Bride late in life, this past week to be exact. However, from the first scene onwards I was enthralled and in love. Therefore, and because Ginger said it would be immensely funny and insightful, I had to read this book (I'm usually too sceptical about memoirs or making-of books). It tells the story of how Rob Reiner made the movie adaptation of William Goldman's The Princess Bride as told by "Wesley" aka Cary Elwes, with the kind "help" of ...more
Bekka
Jun 13, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Kay

★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Wonderfully narrated by many of the stars from the movie, reading their contributions. I did miss Billy Crystal and Mandy Patinkin’s voices, but it is still a wonderful listen.

Even if you only liked The Princess Bride, and didn’t love it like I did, you'll enjoy this book. CE said he wrote it from his heart, and that comes through on every page.

Sorry... can’t write more, I’m off to re-watch the movie.

Cindy Newton
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, non-fiction
If you're a die-hard Princess Bride fan, you'll eat this up with a spoon. This is a light-hearted, charming account of the making of the movie from Cary Elwes' (Westley's) point of view. It's a definite love-fest between and about the cast members--no dirt dished here! That's okay, because we don't really want to think about our beloved PB characters being nasty to each other. There's plenty of awed admiration for everyone from the young, star-struck Cary, who was only 23 at the time of the film ...more
Estelle
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for the book itself, and 1 additional star for the wonderful narration.
It was just lovely, heart warming and funny. I listened to the whole thing with a big smile on my face and sometimes tears in my eyes.
If you're a fan of the movie, you HAVE to listen to the audiobook. Just make sure you've got the dvd ready once you're done!
Noetic_Hatter
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film, memoirs, pop-culture
Finished this one on the day I bought it. I'm thinking about buying it again, this time on audible so I can hear the author read it. For some reason, nearly everyone of the Andre stories – – of which there are many – – kept making my eyes fill with tears.
Meagan
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
First things first. If you're not a fan of The Princess Bride, (inconceivable!), then I wouldn't bother reading this book. Even if you're a big film buff or really enjoy entertainment memoirs, I'd say skip it. This isn't some Hollywood tell-all or insightful exploration of the movie business. There aren't juicy anecdotes about celebrity misbehavior. There aren't big technical explanations about filmmaking. Instead, this is a big, gushy, enthusiastically nostalgic love letter to The Princess Brid ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

A happy, cute, sweet (insert sugary words here) non-fiction story about the making of the classing movie, The Princess Bride.

Honestly, I don't what I was expecting. There is no juicy dish here, nothing out of the ordinary. Just a great group of actors who genuinely seemed to love each other talking about the rather mundane aspects of filming said movie. The most exciting part of the story was when Cary Elwes broke his toe.

A must read for The Princess Bride superfans, but just a mildly pleasant
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Before I start my review, I want to mention that As You Wish is the perfect audiobook for a road trip between St. Louis, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas. I was traveling with my daughter and husband, and we were all entertained by Elwes' memories of the making of the film. It's really not that easy to find a book that works for all three of us, but this was an absolute hit. I can't recommend it enough and if you're already a fan of the movie, I'm sure that you'll love it even more.

Though it sta
Debbie Zapata
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturdaymx
First of all, if by some odd chance you have not seen the movie The Princess Bride, GO WATCH IT BEFORE YOU READ THIS BOOK. At least five times, if not five dozen. Then you can come read As You Wish and see the movie in your head while you read. You can say to yourself "Okay, let me go watch again to see if I spot the USS Coral Sea baseball cap in the little boy's bedroom!" And "Westley really was knocked unconscious when
the Duke hit him on the head with the hilt of his sword?!....I thought it wa
Reese Copeland
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book on the behind the scenes stories of a great movie. Lots of candid stories from all the cast, but mostly from Elwes. Filled with funny, serious stuff and a passion for doing a great film, detailing the pride and insecurities of the actors.
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
If somehow you have managed over the last 28 or so years managed to miss The Princess Bride stop what you're doing and get it. Maybe you can find it on line or available on your cable system...go ahead, the rest of us will wait. Go watch it.....

Okay, caught up? Now you'll see why I recommend this book and what all we nerds see in this classic gem of a movie.

I learned a lot from this books which i got in audio read by the author. The first thing i learned is that for 28 years I've been mispronoun
Marianna Neal
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a wonderful and heart-warming experience! Obviously, a must-read for any fan of the movie, but also just such a positive look at everything that goes into making a film. It really was great to read about how much the cast and crew bonded throughout the filming process while also discovering so many behind-the-scenes stories.
Larry H
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

I was a freshman in college in 1987 when The Princess Bride was released in theaters. (Egads.) I didn't know what to expect from the movie, but I'm a big fan of noble quests, swashbuckling heroes, and true love, so it was no surprise I was completely enamored of it, and saw it twice more in the theaters. (What else was I going to do, study?)

Even though The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies of all time, it was only a modest box office hit. I had no idea 27 years
Tiffany Reisz
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glorious! We listened to it on audio and hearing Westley/Cary's voice for hours on end transported me back to my childhood when I didn't go a day without watching The Princess Bride. Such a joyful magical book. I can't recommend it enough.
MrsJoseph

There are no words to describe the sheer number of emotions I ran through while reading As You Wish. Extreme happiness, sheer amazement, incredulous laughter, sadness and actual tears. As You Wish is The Princess Bride of non-fiction. (See what I did there??)

Steve
I’m a huge, HUGE, HUGE fan of the movie. My kids have watched it with me year after year since its release on VHS in 1988 (I have since bought it on DVD, Blu-Ray, and Amazon Prime). I even quoted it during my son’s wedding reception earlier this year while I was giving my “best man speech”. I’ve watched it at least a dozen times with my young granddaughters, acting out many of the parts as we play afterwards (I’m usually Fezzik to their Buttercups). :D

Even still, I was hesitant to read this book
Jessica
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, own
A fun behind-the-scenes look at the making of The Princess Bride, as remembered by The Man in Black himself. That's right, our sweet Westley wrote about book about the making of the world's most quotable movie! The book is delightful in that there's no dirt dished, because there is none. No one threw temper tantrums, none of the co-stars hated each other and couldn't be in the same room after the director yelled, "Cut!" No, the filming was a big love-fest and so is the book.

Which is awesomely r
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Before I review this, I have a plea. Please, please, please listen to this as an audiobook! Not only will you get to hear the voices of The Princess Bride's cast, director, producers, and writer but you'll also hear Cary Elwes' fantastic impressions.

The book chronicles the making of The Princess Bride. This movie has become a cult classic, if by cult you mean everyone who loves it. That might be the world's largest cult!

Elwes is primarily self-deprecating and modest about his first big movie r
Marla Mei
I laughed, smiled and I may have teared up a bit. There wasn't a moment that made me miss the film I love any less. Thank you Cary Elwes for not only ruining me for all the other men because of your impeccable portrayal of Westley but most of all for bringing back all the memories.

Brb. Will watch again the movie.
  • What's So Funny?: My Hilarious Life
  • I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend
  • Up Till Now
  • Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography
  • Joss Whedon: The Biography
  • Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
  • As If!: The Oral History of Clueless as told by Amy Heckerling and the Cast and Crew
  • My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business
  • Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It
  • March: Book Two (March, #2)
  • Andre the Giant: Life and Legend
  • Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy: Four Women Undercover in the Civil War
  • Assisted
  • Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life And Career Of Warwick Davis
  • So That Happened: My Unexpected Life in Hollywood
  • The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story
  • Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII
  • Easy Street: The Hard Way
Cary Elwes is a celebrated English actor who starred in The Princess Bride before moving on to roles in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Glory, Days of Thunder, Twister, and Saw, among many other acclaimed performances. He will always be indebted to The Princess Bride, he says, for changing his life and giving him a career that has spanned decades. He lives in Hollywood, California, with his family.
“That particular take was the one that ended up in the film. So when you see Westley fall to the ground and pass out, that’s not acting. That’s an overzealous actor actually losing consciousness.” 20 likes
“Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautiful ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Pain. Death. Brave men. Cowardly men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles.” 14 likes