Start by marking “The Whole & Rain-domed Universe” as Want to Read:
The Whole & Rain-domed Universe

The Whole & Rain-domed Universe

The Whole & Rain-domed Universe is Colette Bryce's much-anticiapted follow-up to Self-Portrait in the Dark. The book presents the reader with an extraordinarily clear-eyed, vivid and sometimes disturbing account of growing up in Derry during the Troubles, with many ghosts both raised and laid to rest.
Paperback, Picador Poetry, 51 pages
Published December 1st 2014 by Picador (first published September 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Whole & Rain-domed Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole & Rain-domed Universe

Rehan Abd Jamil
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
My morning awakening. Honest review from a poet's perspective.
Rebecca
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
(3.5) Many of these poems are about the author’s Irish family inheritance, both literal and figurative, as in “Heritance”:

From her? Resilience. Generosity.
A teacher’s gravitas.
Irish stew. A sense
of the ridiculous. High ceilings.

I loved the first line of “Signature” – “When I finally gave up and became my mother” – as well as the first stanza of “Derry”:

I was born between the Creggan and the Bogside
to the sounds of crowds and smashing glass,
by the river Foyle with its suicides and rip tides.
I tho
Samir Rawas Sarayji
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, poetry, irish-lit
What an awesome collection of poems! Intelligent and playful constructions, some in free verse and some with a rhyme scheme. I only wish the collection was bigger.
Kellyk
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, irish-studies
I had the great pleasure of taking a course in college titled "Contemporary Irish Women's Poetry", and we finished our course with the poetry of Colette Bryce. As an added bonus, Colette herself happened to be visiting the university as a poet-in-res, and she sat in on our last few classes. To say that she is insightful, warm, and a brilliant writer are all total understatements - every commentary she offered, both on her own poetry and on other poets we were reading, was a true and intuitive tr ...more
Natasha Borton
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Bryce presents a 'personal reckoning' of her life, family, environment and culture that is raw and cutting in places, putting Derry and the Troubles into a tangible poetic force for the reader. I'm particularly bowled over by her sense of place and space, highlighting the limitations and possibilities that are constantly at work between the writer and their origins.

Full Review: http://natashaborton.blogspot.co.uk/2...
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It's a tremendously good collection. Bryce summons up and conveys what it was like to grow up in Derry in the 1970s and 1980s, focussing on the family home but looking also at what was happening outside, exploring the contradictions between warmth and claustrophobia, her relations with her mother, violence both domestic and political, and finding new ways to be oneself in a stranded society.
Finn Longman
This didn't take me long to read at all, but I still felt like I got a lot from it. I'll probably go back and read the poems again; I'd like to get inside them a bit more.
Eibhlin