Start by marking “The Motivation Manifesto” as Want to Read:
The Motivation Manifesto

The Motivation Manifesto

The Motivation Manifesto is a poetic and powerful call to reclaim our lives and find our own personal freedom. It’s a triumphant work that transcends the title, lifting the reader from mere motivation into a soaringly purposeful and meaningful life. I love this book.” — Paulo Coelho

The Motivation Manifesto is a pulsing, articulate, ferocious call to claim our personal
Published October 28th 2014 by Hay House, Inc. (first published April 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Motivation Manifesto, please sign up.
Matej Latin It's a good book. Starts off very well but gets a bit slow towards the end. Could easily be shorter by a few chapters. If you're looking for a book to…moreIt's a good book. Starts off very well but gets a bit slow towards the end. Could easily be shorter by a few chapters. If you're looking for a book to find motivation—this is the one. One crucial thing I learned from it: Motivation is a choice.(less)

Start your review of The Motivation Manifesto
Curtis
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read lots of self-help books and had hit my limit, so I had no desire to read this when I first heard about it. Honestly, it was only that I liked Brendon's energy in his videos combined with the particular offer (the book plus a 12 week video course for $7) that made me pull the trigger. And I loved it -- both the book and the video series.

Critical reviews seem to focus on a lack of practical advice in the book. First, there is some solid advice, particularly some very pointed questions
Ryan Murdock
Mar 28, 2015 rated it did not like it

This book was very painful to read, and I found little of practical value in it. Just a lot of "motivational" talk, vague buzz words, fluffy back patting, and long rambling pages of emotional language that seemed meant to disguise the lack of content.

I also dislike the new age "we" language: "we need to claim OUR personal power", "we need to defeat OUR demons", etc. That's very much like saying, "we need to scratch OUR nose". I didn't realize it was owned collectively.

I got this book as part of
Ben Willmore
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very inspiring book. One of the best personal development books I can remember reading.

My main criticism is that it could use some guided process to help elicit your goals and the qualities you want to live by instead of just telling you to write them down. I'd also like more real world day-to-day examples of how to put these ideas to use... things that take the conceptual 10,000' view and bring them down to ground level.

I will re-read the portions of this book that I've highlighted every
Nina Harrington
Brendan Burchard has had enormous success as a self-made business coach and speaker and is clearly well tuned to the needs of an audience who will pay 1000s of dollars to attend his presentations.
I have read his work for many years and followed some of his courses.
And therein lies the problem with this book. He expects his readers to just sit back and be fed what they already have heard a hundred times before and pay for the privilege.
Not all of us find endless lectures and sermons from a
Christine
Dec 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
It's as if someone free associated a self-help book into existence after skimming Paradise Lost.

Which I would be completely into if it had philosophical coherence. After all, it took a lot of motivation to arise off of the burning lake and fly through the entire multiverse to fuck around with Adam and Eve.

High points of the book were:

1. Complaining about elitism while also complaining about the unwashed masses.
2. Complaining about conformity while using vague buzzwords like "Now" and "Love."
Annie Hurley
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help-books
Ever feel like you need someone to sit you down and give you a pep talk to supercharge your life into action? Reading The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Burchard is kind of like that. Squared. Cubed, even.

"We must ask if our desires to feel safe and accepted are in fact enslaving us to popular opinion—and to boredom."

If you ever felt like you were destined for a greater existence but felt conflicted or overwhelmed about taking the necessary actions, this book is so for you. You might want to
Lucas Berghuis
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: brainfood
First of all, let me say this: Brendon Burchard should be listened to, not read. Brendon has the uncanny ability to raise your energy levels and motivation in every single talk he gives. As he states in the book, it is one of his main goals in any interaction. It is what he does best and it is what has made him successful. However, writing is not his strongest suit. I want to emphasize I am still a fan of Brendon Burchard, just not as an author.

That being said, many people still love the
Mary
To me, this was just a standard motivation self-help book. I didn't really see anything new in it, except random bits of scholastic language that made me question who the book was written for. Also, I would really appreciate it if self-help books that came with the moral of "Act now!" would preclude it with a "After you've done a preliminary amount of research".
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is a reason I started reading this 2 years ago, & never got farther than 7%.

And it's not because I lack motivation.
Majeed
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be required reading for all the worlds children. An understanding of these concepts at a young age may help us have a better world going forward.
Natacha Pavlov
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
"Greatness belongs to those who have mastered their internal world."

"No clarity, no change; no goals, no growth."

One of the most challenging things about this book was trying not to highlight practically every other line (lol!) I first came across Brendon Burchard's work a few years ago via a video presentation. I instantly appreciated his contagious enthusiasm and energy, as well as his down-to-earth, honest vibe.

'The Motivation Manifesto' was my second read by the motivational author, the
Michael
Beautiful

This book is so cleverly written yet so easy to understand and truly makes an impact on you. I recommend this for everyone. So inspirational.
Heidi The Reader
Brendan Burchard writes like a modern Neville Goddard or Florence Scovel Shinn. He reaches for ultimate truths and gets pretty close most of the time. When he's close to the truth: the writing makes sense and touched a deep place in my mind and heart, but at other times, I felt like I was reading a bunch of high minded nonsense that would never be applicable in my car-needs-gas, child-needs-food, cats-need-attention, husband-is-on-Minecraft-again, messy and hopelessly disorganized real life. ...more
Alaeddin Hallak
The key message in this book:

Fear drives much of human behavior, but so does a desire for freedom. By learning to conquer the former and strengthen the latter, we can boost our motivation, achieve our goals and create not just a better life for ourselves, but a better world to live in.
Rob Thompson
About the book: The Motivation Manifesto explains the fundamental driving forces of human nature and how these either help us realize or keep us from our life’s goals. In a few easy steps, you’ll learn how to inspire and increase your own levels of motivation to live a happier life.

About the author: Brendon Burchard is a world-famous personal development trainer, bestselling author and founder of personal development program, High Performance Academy. American television host Larry King has
Shae
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When people think of self motivational books, they often say "once you read one, you read them all." In a sense that is the truth, however this book has a wonderful play on words that makes you think out of the box with your self discovery situations.

What was enjoyed from this book is the author's poetic writing. The mood and tone of the book is courageous and are parts that draw you in like you are fighting a gallant battle of self discovery and change. If you want to read a motivational book
Duncan Bahr
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Motivation Manifesto does more than motivate!

The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Burchard, motivates through encouragement to reclaim our agenda and the prose is largely easy to follow -- though occasionally and surprisingly for a self-help book -- high-brow. However Burchard's Manifesto is far more than the typical work on the subject. It is also a spiritual and self strengthening work that subtly draws upon both American national and culturally western canon to get through to the reader.
Adam
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh.

This book reads like a sales letter written by Ayn Rand and I have the feeling the author might take that as a compliment.

He draws on social justice icons, but then characterizes whole groups of people as "weaklings." The sections on fear/oppression are about as nuanced as the motivational speaker from Donnie Darko.

Written like his boyhood dream is becoming John Galt, it rang false. Not for me.
David Geschke
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read all year, one of the best books I've EVER read. I'm sure I'll read this book and refer back to it many more times. It's the first book by Brendon Burchard I could get through. I've tried reading some of his prior works without success, but this book might give me the impetus to go revisit some of his previous writings. Extremely well written & thought provoking. If you like the "self help" genre, this is a must read :)
Niége
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: tech-biz
I absolutely dislike self-help books, and this one didn’t seem much like one so I thought I’d give it a try.
The book had some interesting ideas on how to keep yourself motivated and enjoy situations and people close to you better.
On every chapter it gets to an interesting point and then it starts unraveling on repetition of the same speech it was just delivered.
The author keeps rambling on about God, The Creator and a Higher Faith. He’s careful not to speak to an specific god or religion, so
Richard Felix
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
To me personally what’s mentioned in this book is not new regarding Self motivation n self help, there’s other books that are more effective and applicable this is more for someone new to this, had trouble understanding the book it’s written like it’s a old book from decades ago like Shakespeare ( not bad) to me it’s new and has amazing wisdom and quotes, am familiar with the author he’s a highly professional wise practitioner teacher of self improvement to me I wouldn’t recommend to this book
James Stephens
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are lacking motivation or just need a boost, this book will help you find that boost to succeed. Everyone in the corporate world should read this book. If you are an entrepreneur or a creative mind and you are stuck in a rut then use the techniques in this book to find your motivation and overcome fear and procrastination.
Ron Wroblewski
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I read the book and watched the 16 series course. This is a keeper - I will use it to prepare speeches and review sections periodically. It covers 9 Declarations to live your life by - including keeping to your agenda, defeating your demons, not breaking integrity, and amplifying love in your life.
Sandra Heinzman
I listened to the Audible version of this and got a lot out of it. I am now a Brendan Burchard fan, and am reading another of his books. I am sure I will read this one again, because I know I'll get even more/different out of it the next go round. It has been a life changer for me, in terms of motivation. Thanks to one of my online Beachbody groups for reading/recommending it!
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Motivation Manifesto meets my Christian Faith on most, but not all, points.

Brendon does not directly reference his faith often, but you see it underlining most of this book. Listening to the audio version reminded me a lot of Napolean Hill's "Outwitting the Devil". Hill tells us the devil tries to get us to be apathetic and drift and be ineffective in building God's heavenly kingdom here on earth, to give up running race by degree and lack of purpose.

As I later read the print version, I was
Rebecca
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Tedious and preachy.
In a book about motivation, And he forgot to mention dopamine.
I just couldn’t take it seriously.
Amy
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've spent the last few days really digging into the content of this book! And WOW!! If you are looking for an absolute change, a higher meaningful standard of life, a glimpse of hope for the future, contemplating how you REALLY want to live/utilize/savor your life, or simply need inspiration for a more motivated purpose, this is the book for you! Get out your highlighters and colored pens, as you will be wanting to notate certain information that you most certainly are going to need and want to ...more
Adam
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
We often hear of or see books called the Bible of Prosperity or the Bible of Success because they are thorough comprehensive tomes of a particular subject. The Motivation Manifesto is best seen not so much as an Old Testament book that covers a lot of details that are ultimately not very useful for progress, but more like the New Testament gospels and books. Here we have the Gospel of Motivation, or Motivators - A Letter Written to the Unmotivated, or The Book of Motivations. This book could ...more
Lorrie
I somehow managed to make it two-thirds of the way through this book before I could even put into words what I feel about this book. And it's not pretty, so here goes.

For someone who purports to be a 'motivational' speaker, the author sure does have a unique way of going about his business. First off, the book is exactly as the title says, it's a manifesto, that's for damn sure... motivational? Um, hell no.

The whole book comes off sounding like the lunatic ravings of a petulant child who got a
Paige
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Keep in mind the 6 F’s of motivation: FORGET the past, FUEL the fire of your motivation (through ambition and action, not just hope), have FAITH in yourself, and strive for FANTASTIC things (not just a “I’m fine” kind of life), never forgetting that FREEDOM and FEAR are your primal motivators.

Advice from the book: Be patient. Being impatient can drain energy and motivation. When you’re feeling impatient, try asking yourself: “What could I do to calm myself down right now?” or “Why does this kind
Womanation: What is meaningful to you? 1 5 Mar 22, 2015 04:30PM

• The Rules of Wealth: A Personal Code for Prosperity
  • Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time
  • Be Obsessed or Be Average
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • Millionaire Success Habits: The Gateway To Wealth & Prosperity
  • Live It!: Achieve Success by Living with Purpose
  • Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
  • Spartan Up!: A Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Overcoming Obstacles and Achieving Peak Performance in Life
  • The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential
  • The Art of Seduction
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • Don't Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle: How to Break Free of Negativity and Drama
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Miracles Of Your Mind
BRENDON BURCHARD is the author of the New York Times bestselling book, THE CHARGE, and the #1 New York Times bestseller THE MILLIONAIRE MESSENGER. He is also founder of High Performance Academy, the legendary personal development program for achievers, and Experts Academy, the world's most comprehensive marketing training program for aspiring authors, speakers, coaches, and online thought leaders. ...more
“personal power is directly tied to personal responsibility, which most people avoid.” 29 likes
“We have patiently suffered long enough, hoping that someone or some kind of luck would one day grant us more opportunity and happiness. But nothing external can save us, and the fateful hour is at hand when we either become trapped at this level of life or we choose to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness and joy. In this ailing and turbulent world, we must find peace within and become more self-reliant in creating the life we deserve.” 29 likes