Start by marking “Death by Coffee (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death by Coffee (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #1)

Death by Coffee

(Bookstore Cafe Mystery #1)

When Krissy Hancock and her best friend Vicki decide to open a bookstore café in their new town of Pine Hills, they decide to call it "Death by Coffee," after Krissy’s father’s most famous mystery novel. Little do they know how well the name fits…

On their very first day of business, Brendon Lawyer huffily takes his coffee…to the grave. It seems he had a severe allergy to p
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published May 26th 2015 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Death by Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Coffee

Sallee
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I started to read this book and found myself really disliking the main character, Krissy. I kept reading, hoping this would change but it didn't. I found that I disliked how she stuck her nose in and very brashly asked people questions about the murder that happened. To them she was a stranger and I was surprised that she got any answers at all. I agreed with the victim's mother-in-law about calling the police on her. She did not go about gathering information very well and was very off-putting ...more
Paige  Bookdragon
Look, it was okay in the beginning. I laughed out loud with some dialogues, the characters were a hoot, the story is my cup of tea blah blah blah.

Then someone died and it all went sour.

Dialogues went bad, characters went stupid and the story just became boring. I'm not sure but maybe the intelligence and the sense of humor just died along with the murdered character.
Apr 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Disappointing. The lack of character development really bothered me as cozy mysteries are as much about the characters as they are about the mystery. It also bothered me that the main character didn't come up with creative reasons to talk to suspects, but asked them outright questions about the murder, and they actually answered. My biggest complaint was the amount of pages describing the bathroom habits of the main character's cat. (5/1/15)

I received an ARC from NetGalley, which is great becaus
Kelly-Marie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommendations, 2018
5 Stars 🌟 🌟🌟🌟🌟 what can I say I’m a sucker for a good cozy mystery.
Nicole Overmoyer
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
The best part about this book? It taught me that bitter coffee is much improved if you put a cookie (or some Nilla wafers... it was all I had) in it.

The not so best part about this book? Pretty much everything else. But I was interested and it was a fast enough read that I plowed through and finished it. Just not my thing.

(I received a copy of "Death by Coffee" through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest & original review.)
Barb
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Krissy and her best friend, Vickie, have given up their busy California lives and moved to the midwest to open a bookshop/coffee house. On their first day of business, a rather nasty customer turns up dead moments after taking his coffee to his office across the street from the shop. The police are calling it an accident, but there are others in town who think it's murder, including Krissy. She has always been intrigued by puzzles, which she attributes to the fact that her father is a well-known ...more
Julie
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I received a complimentary copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Death by Coffee is a cozy mystery by new author Alex Erickson. Part of the attraction of a cozy mystery is the quaintness of the setting—generally a small town. Death by Coffee got that right! Pine Hills is the small town where Krissy and Vicki open a book and coffee house after leaving the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles. Pine Hills is filled with odd and cantankerous characters who bring some color to
Cindy H.
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm baffled this is actually a series?!?! This was my first cozy and what a disappointment! I didn't think I'd really like a cozy but I didn't think it would be so genuinely stupid.
I read this for a challenge prompt, otherwise I would have bailed immediately. And the twist?? Ridiculous
This book was really a stretch, I don't care how small your town is.....UGH!!
Quenya
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Just no – not for me
I think this is the first time in a long time that I have been reading a book and thought “Who wrote this?” and not in a good way. The main character is totally annoying and her love interest (a cop) comes off as a wet blanket that lets anyone walk over them. Her best friend Vicki is a much more interesting character and I wanted to hear more about how Krissy and her became friends.

I couldn’t figure out why Krissy was so interested in the victim’s death. It wasn’t an interest
Remie
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Angie
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

I love coffee and I love books, so of course I had to give Death by Coffee a read! Sadly, I didn't love it. There wasn't nearly enough coffee or books, and Krissy was a really bad amateur sleuth (and a bad barista and bookseller, to be honest). She's new in town, running a bookstore/cafe with her BFF, when one of their first customers turns up dead soon after ordering one of their coffees. Brendon Lawyer wasn't well liked, but the police have deemed it an acci
Mark Baker
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, mystery
Best friends Krissy and Vickie have moved to Pine Hills and opened a bookstore and coffee shop. They’ve even named it Death by Coffee after one of Krissy’s dad’s bestselling mystery novels. But they find themselves in a real life mystery on their first day in business when a customer buys a cup of coffee, takes it to his office across the street, and dies. Krissy will have to act fast to clear their shop of any wrong doing in the crime.

The book sounded like fun, and I really wanted to like it, b
AngryGreyCat
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Death by Coffee by Alex Erickson is the first cozy I have read in a while and I picked it out on impulse due to the theme. The idea is really fun, a bookstore cafe with some puzzles and cats thrown in. The side characters are a quirky lot of the comical and theatrical variety. The victim is the guy that everyone could do without, not too many tears shed here and the plot had enough clues and misdirection to make it interesting. My issue was with the protagonist, Krissy. She is beyond pushy and b ...more
Carolyn Injoy
Death by Coffee by Alex Erickson I received a free kindle copy of Death by Coffee by Alex Erickson, published by Kensington Books from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this entertaining cozy mystery five stars. I enjoyed Krissy's attempts to solve what she believes to be a murder. Can she solve it before the killer gets to her?

"'Who'd ever heard of a book club competition? Without having to ask, I knew Rita had been the one to come up with it. No one else would have thought of so
Paula Adams
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just by the title you can guess what happens. But you don't know how or why or who. The co-coffeeshop owner wants to find out as she feels responsible even though no one else died. Lots of misadventures trying to get to the truth. Lots of lies being told that she and the police need to weed through. Some interesting characters. A couple of terrors of cats too.
Mary Brown
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Krissy Hancock moves to Pine Hills with her best friend, Vicki, to open a coffee/bookstore. They name the store “Death By Coffee”. They picked this name because that is the name of Krissy”s fathers famous mystery book. Krissy does not really like the name because she thinks it is a little morbid. And when the name becomes a reality, Krissy is ready to rename the place.

The first day that the shop is open a man comes in for a cup of coffee. He is not very pleasant and does not seem very impressed
Brianna Aguiar
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kristine
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

**I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.**

It has been a while since I have read a cosy mystery so this book seemed to be the perfect solution to that. Take two best friends who open a book/coffee shop, a handsome cop and a suspicious death and you have the makings of an interesting story. Right??

Well... unfortunately this one fell quite flat for me and it was all (or mos
Tess
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why would someone steal an EPI-PEN from someone? And then why would someone make sure that the person was exposed to the item that could be deadly?
Pine Hills has 2 new residents, and one of them jumps right in to attempt to solve a murder. Kristina and her best friend have moved from California to open a coffee/bookshop, which seems to be the in thing to do. How could a new resident get into so much trouble? Sticking her nose into other people's business, she might want to watch her back, she ma
Cat Tutt
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I felt like this book was a lot less lofty than many cozies. As in, she wasted time on Facebook and wasn't a stellar cook. She seemed somehow very imperfect, and real. That's kind of a double edged sword for me, because on the one hand I felt she was really relateable... on the other hand, I like it when cozy characters motivate me to cook or bake or attempt things they are passionate about and good at.

I think the thing I most have to say is that there was a huge twist I did NOT see coming, and
Sophie
Jan 19, 2018 marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
DNF. A bookstore cafe and a cat on the cover - I wanted to like this. If only it had been the least bit likable.
Dawn Frazier
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved it! Great start to a new series. I loved the setting, and great characters. I can't wait for the next one!
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not sure why it took me so long to try this series and it was really cute and fun.

Krissy and her friend Vicki thought it would be fun to open up a bookstore cafe and call it Death by Coffee, after one of her father's mystery books. It was cute until a man that just left her coffee shop ends up dead and then the words rang a bit too true. Though he didn't die by the coffee it still made her feel bad and it wasn't helping them get customers.

So Krissy feels that she needs to try and figure things
Stacie Amelotte
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Death by Coffee was an enjoyable, quick read that makes me want to read the next book. The mystery was good, the murderer was somewhat obvious, but the motive for why the murder was committed was actually very intriguing, the idea of it was typical, but the details broke the general mold of many cozy-mysteries, which was refreshing. The story did have some slow moments and I never felt that “must read “adrenaline like you get with some books. The cats, Trouble and Misfit sound exactly like my ca ...more
Mary Ann
New Series written by an Ohio author. This is book #1 and there were so many things that I just couldn't seem to get into the hatred of her cat, but still getting things for him that would make messes that the protagonist doesn't like to clean up. It also shows that there is a hatred of small towns and being the child of a famous parent. Just so many things that took time for me to get past.

Krissy and her old friend, have opened a coffee shop and bookstore, but when a man dies from a peanut all
Melissapalmer404
Book #32 Read in 2017
Death by Coffee by Alex Erickson

This is the first in a cozy mystery series, set in a coffee shop/bookstore. Two friends open up the coffee shop/bookstore and a customer ends up dying for a peanut allergy shortly after his purchase, even though the coffee did not have nuts in it. Shop owner Krissy decides to begin her own investigation. Of course, she gets herself into some hot water along the way. This was a good, quick read and I will continue reading the series.
Heather Withington
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful cosy mystery, Krissy and Vicki have just set up a new coffee come book shop when one of their customers dies shortly after buying a coffee. Was it an accident, or was it murder?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story, with a great and well written main character. It is an easy read with a reasonably predictable ending (although I didn't get it for a while).

A recommended read for anyone who enjoys fun, non-gory murder mysteries.
Erin L
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Just not good. The main character is a little unlikeable (holy judgey) and parts of the story seem really disconnected, like there was some last minute edits that cut out too much without anyone proofreading after. The kind of thing where a conversation has barely started before the main character is thinking it's gone on too long and she must end it.

Choppy, relies a little too heavily on stereotypes and you don't really feel as though you've gotten to know the characters.
Kerry
Jan 20, 2019 marked it as dnf
I'm just not caring about this one enough to keep going when I have library books piling in on me from all directions and I'm much more interested in reading those.
Lynda
Jun 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Absolutely lifeless.
  • Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • Death Crashes the Party (Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #1)
  • Twice Told Tail (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • An Intimate Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #3)
  • A Crime of Passion Fruit (Bakeshop Mystery #6)
  • Cheddar Off Dead (Undercover Dish Mystery #2)
  • Landslide
  • Prose and Cons (Magical Bookshop, #2)
  • Irish Stewed (Ethnic Eats Mystery #1)
  • Collateral Damage: An Annie Ogden Mystery
  • Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5)
  • Bookman Dead Style (A Dangerous Type Mystery, #2)
  • It Takes a Coven (Witch City Mystery #6)
  • Seduced by a Sinner (Destiny in Deadwood, #3)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • A Pinch of Poison (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #2)

Bookstore Cafe Mystery (7 books)
  • Death by Tea (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #2)
  • Death By Pumpkin Spice (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #3)
  • Death by Vanilla Latte (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #4)
  • Death by Eggnog (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #5)
  • Death by Espresso (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #6)
  • Death by Café Mocha (Bookstore Cafe Mystery #7)