Start by marking “Promises Kept (The McBride Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promises Kept (The McBride Brothers, #1)

Promises Kept

(The McBride Brothers #1)

Lady of marriageable age with two young boys, in need of husband.

I am a good cook and hard worker.

Victoria Eastman grew up in a Texas saloon—an experience that made her tough, resourceful, and determined to forge a new life. So she places an ad in a gentleman's newspaper... and soon finds herself a suitable arrangement on a farm in Promise, Wyoming. Only problem is that he
Published August 25th 2015 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Promises Kept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises Kept

Start your review of Promises Kept (The McBride Brothers, #1)
Dorine
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Historical Western series
Recommended to Dorine by: Dottie
Rated 3.5 - A historical western mail-order bride novel with a surprise twist creates expectations for the rest of the series. Western historical fans will rejoice in a new series to follow, especially since the third book will release April 2016.

TBR Challenge 2016 – Theme: Recommended Read (a book that was recommended to you). Follow the discussion on this review and this challenge with other bloggers at my site .

Victoria Eastman places an ad in the newspaper for a husband, hoping for a posi
Mjspice
Jan 12, 2021 marked it as avoid
Shelves: bigotry
Author is a Trump supporter and wrote a cookbook for "deplorables". M to the E to the Double S.

Cathy Cermele
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a new to me author,so I wasnt sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I enjoyed the characters immensely and loved the storyline.

I loved the inner strength of Victoria Eastmen and her determination to protect two little boys in her care.
I admired Colt McBride for his determination, too.

This is a fast paced book that held my interest from the first page to the very last page. It has a several characters that are as entertaining as the two main characters.

It's a story of letti
Terri
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I won a copy of this book as part of a giveaway on Goodreads in exchange for my honest opinion.

This will be short review.

Fans of romance will enjoy this story. Fans of something a little different may not. What this story delivered was a solid romance albeit rather predictable. While this is not necessarily a bad thing sometimes you just want the story to stray from the usual formulas.

I like this story however I was not blown away
Hallie Szott
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review is also posted on Book by Book.

Scarlett Dunn’s Promises Kept, the first book in her McBride Brothers series, certainly offers a promising Wild West romance. Packed with action and adventure in addition to the undeniable attraction and romance, Dunn’s novel would not let me stop reading. Victoria Eastman travels across the country for a husband, as well as a stable home, but nothing seems to turn out as expected. With danger seeming to lurk at every turn, her prospects for home and fa
Anna
Sep 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
I have a few questions...

1) Why is a man still considered a "good Christian" if he has sex with prostitutes when the prostitutes themselves are shunned from "good Christian" society because of their occupation?

2) Why is being a "red-blooded man" who "has needs" considered a sufficient reason for his lack of self control for men while women are blamed for both their actions and his?

3) Why is it okay for a man to undress a woman with his eyes but wrong for a woman to stare at a man with non-sexual
Sue Pethick
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't generally read books in this genre, but Promises Kept was a very pleasant surprise!

The main character, Victoria Eastman, is on the run from a shameful past and desperate to make a new life for herself and two orphaned boys, but at every turn she's in danger of having her secrets revealed. As the book progresses, she learns she must put aside her prejudices in order to find not only love but the forgiveness she so desperately needs.

The author kept the pace lively with lots of twists and
Cynthia Marcano
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
What I Loved...

Victoria is a very likable heroine. I thought she was well written. Most of the characters were extremely well written and I could see them all so clearly as I was reading. The attraction between Victoria and Colt was great and I enjoyed their love story. Romance is what I look forward to the most in book and I wasn't disappointed.

What I Liked...

You can't have a cowboy in a book and not expect some showdown action...

Continue Reading
Claire
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Full of foul immoral values. The main male character sees no problem with filling his"needs" with harlots at the saloon. He claims to have faith, prays, goes to church, and is described as a good man of character, even while seeing no problem with his continuing sexual immorality. The main female character is repeatedly alone in his room, on his bed with him, even letting him partially undress her and nearly sleeps with him before their wedding. He pulls back last minute, but multiple times he s ...more
Jamie Brown
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scarlett Dunn kept the events wanting you to read more until you realize you have read the entire book before you know it.

What does man do when he wants what someone else has, watches loved ones killed, and sees everything he has worked for being lost...HE FIGHTS FOR WHAT HE WANTS!

What does a woman do that loves her boys, has nothing and wants to have a home...She does what she has to, to get what she wants and needs in her life.

This story for a historical romance has it all...the cowboys, the b
Sandra
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Scarlett Dunn book, but it won't be my last. It was a easy to read,well written, interesting story about the west and a mail order bride. Lots of likeable characters in this book. And a hint of religion. I really enjoyed the historical/romance clean story. I could hardly stop reading it. Loved the ending, can't wait to read the rest of the series. I won my book from Goodreads Giveaways. FYI the story may make you hungry. ...more
rob
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

This was my first time reading this author's book. I will definitely have to check out more of her books.
Jan St Clair
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book!

I couldn't put this book down! Scarlett Dunn did a fantastic job! Love historical Christian fiction books. Read this series in order.
Rachel
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading Scarlett Dunn and I was not disappointed. A good start to her The McBride Brothers series. An even better mail-order bride story that has it’s own twist.
Shannon
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story. No racey scenes though. I said this about the third book in this series which I read first, which is that there are a lot of characters and it's hard to keep track of who is who. ...more
Tara Lee
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Historical Romances like Promises Kept by Scarlett Dunn. I love being able to see how things used to be even if through the eyes of a fictional romance. It's fun and it lets me forget the kind of world we're in now for just a little bit.

Victoria Eastman is a strong woman. For much of the book it seems like she doesn't even fathom just how strong she is. And to be honest, while I love the cover, according to the descriptions of her in the book it does her no justice. So here we have this g
Vera mallard
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Victoria works as the cook in a boarding house in St Louis, Missouri as the cook. She arrived with two small boys in tow claiming they were her brothers. That was not exactly the truth; she took the boys with her when she left a saloon in Abilene two years ago to save them from the orphanage.

She needs a husband to help her care for the boys, provide a home, and a father figure. The boys keep asking for a Pa. She won’t consider a cowboy, as one had almost raped her; she had nothing but bad troubl
Karen
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review copy provided via NetGallery in exchange for an honest review

Summary: Promises Kept

Victoria Eastman grew up in a Texas saloon--an experience that made her tough, resourceful, and determined to forge a new life. So she places an ad in a gentleman's newspaper. . .and soon finds herself a suitable arrangement on a farm in Promise, Wyoming. Only problem is that her would-be husband turns up dead the day she arrives.

Rancher Colt McBride is known for his true grit and business smarts. Yet when
Victor Gentile
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Scarlett Dunn in her new book, “Promises Kept” Book One in The McBride Brothers series published by Zebra introduces us to Victoria Eastman.

From the back cover: Lady of marriageable age with two young boys, in need of husband.

I am a good cook and hard worker.

Victoria Eastman grew up in a Texas saloon—an experience that made her tough, resourceful, and determined to forge a new life. So she places an ad in a gentleman’s newspaper… and soon finds herself a suitable arrangement on a farm in Promise
Sandra_d
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! If I could give this book 10 stars, I wouldn’t hesitate. Action, adventure, mystery, intrigue, love, hate, death, life, sacrifice, a beautiful and strong woman, a hunky and hot cowboy – this book has it all and then some. This clean but definitely not boring romance was a page-turner for me that was very hard to put down, and it is definitely on my ‘to read again’ list.

Victoria Eastman is raising two young boys and the boardinghouse that she works in, while providing a roof over their head
Leah
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Promises Kept” is an inspirational western historical romance, the first book in the “Mcbride Brother’s” series. It captured my attention immediately and the plot line moved at a steady pace. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and I felt that they were multi-dimensional; you were able to get a good picture of not just their dreams but their struggles as well. This was an easy read that was fun without the emotional entanglement. It was more like a fun Monday evening 30 minute episode, tha ...more
Melissa
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Victoria Eastman has given up on God and her prayers. Instead she focuses on taking care of Cade and Cody, twins that she rescued. With a past full of pain and despair, she feels God has forgotten her and her dreams of a home will never come true..

Victoria places an advertisement for a husband who would serve as a father to the boys, but she doesn't expect anything for herself. When she gets an answer from a farmer she believes he is the one and makes arrangements to travel to meet him.

Colt McB
Barb
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Victoria Eastman is desperate. She has two young boys to care for and is making little wages as a cook for a boarding house. She places an ad for a mail-order husband. What’s the harm? Men place ads for mail-order brides all the time. Of course, she doesn’t have any idea who is writing to her, asking for her to be his bride. She accepts the proposal, but decides to travel to Wyoming without her boys to check it out first. She finds, upon her arrival, that her intended has passed away. Colt McBri ...more
Stacy
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I can't say enough nice things about this book! I loved it! What made it even better was finding out there is going to be another; I am assuming there are going to be two more since there are two brothers! I cannot wait to read the next book! If you are a fan of inspirational historical romance books look no further! My favorite type of romance book is inspirational historical and if it involves mail order brides it is even better! I have always been fascinated by mail order brides because for o ...more
Veronica
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received access to this as an E-book from the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

As far as Christian, Historical Romance goes, this book is about as close to perfect as I have ever come across. The characters are gritty and believable. The plot has just enough tension to keep you on the edge of your seat but still resolves nicely in the end. The bad guy is just the right amount of bad and actually plays a part in the whole book. The only thing I would have liked better is i
Dee/ bookworm
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was clean, it was fast paced. It has some twists to the plot that were off the beaten path. I really liked how Victoria really tried to turn her life around and do right by the boys. They were a big responsibility for her. It was an intricate web of a story.

Promises Kept was one of those books that was hard to put down. And yes, it was, in places, predictable. But this one was rare. The author told the story from the view points of almost every major character. You
Rachel Carr
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from a goodreads giveaway.

I really liked this romance story. It had a good plot and character development which kept the story going for me. Romances are not my typical genre of choice, but this one was a nice surprise. It was well written from a grammatical standpoint and the plot moved along at a good pace which kept me interested. I'll be looking for the additional books in this trilogy!
Millie Lee
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Because I love novels set in the west, I wanted to like this book. However, I just couldn't get into it. Perhaps because I knew what was going to happen, and there were no surprises. I've read similar stories before.

I liked Chet Barlow (the farmer) and his helper old Bartholomew. Colt McBride was also a good character, as was Victoria. But when I put the book down and went back to it, I couldn't remember which was Colt and which was Chet.
Vera Wilson
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a Mail Order Bride type book, but the bride places and ad looking for a husband. An odd twist to this one, when she arrives finds out the one she is to marry is dead. But in a strange way he has provided for her.

Enjoyable read, and then at the end mentions next book to this series came out in Jan 2016. So now need to find it "Finding Promise"
Linda Supe Supe
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love stories about the old days in the West, and I really enjoyed this story. It had some unexpected turns and it's well written. Looking forward to more of Scarlett Dunn's books.

Linda Supe
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 13, 2016 08:46AM

• The Cowboy Who Saved Christmas
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • Sea Rose Lane (Hope Harbor, #2)
  • Messenger By Moonlight
  • Lady Claire Is All That (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #3)
  • Phantom Waltz (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #2)
  • Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing
  • Country Strong (Painted Pony Creek #1)
  • To Love a Texas Ranger (Men of Legend #1)
  • Roping the Wrangler (Wyoming Legacy, #2)
  • The Telegraph Proposal (Montana Brides #3)
  • Grand Encounters (Harvey House Brides)
  • A Reluctant Bride (The Bride Ships, #1)
  • Never a Lawman (Break Heart Brides, #1)
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • Saving the Mail Order Bride (Outlaw Mail Order Brides, #2)
  • The Mail Order Bride of Break Heart Bend (Break Heart Brides Book 2)
  • Heart of the Morning Star (Break Heart Brides Book 3)

The McBride Brothers (3 books)
  • Finding Promise (The McBride Brothers #2)
  • Last Promise (The McBride Brothers #3)