Start by marking “Death of a Cupcake Queen (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Cupcake Queen (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #6)

Death of a Cupcake Queen

(Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #6)

As the food and cocktails columnist for the Island Times, Hayley Powell attends a lot of events—but this one will be murder…

On the eve of her high school reunion, Hayley dreads seeing the trio of mean girls who used to torment her: Sabrina Merryweather, Nykki Temple, and former prom queen Ivy Foster. These days Ivy wears a different crown as the cupcake queen—and flaunting
Published May 26th 2015 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Cupcake Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Cupcake Queen

Berit☀️✨
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was probably one of the very best cozy mysteries I have ever read!!! Fantastic characters, so well-developed, so likable, so absolutely believable. This was just such a fun and easy read. Haley was just so relatable, I enjoyed her relationship with her kids, her man, and her friends. The mastery kept you guessing until the very end. I also enjoyed all the recipes in the book, unfortunately I don't cook, but they made me not to.
Jonathan
Excellent, this series has become one of my favorites. Highly recommend!
Nicole
Events from the past are brought into the present day in this fun 6th cozy in the Hayley Powell series, loved it! :-)
Nancy H
I really like this series, and this is another excellent entry. The plot is very good, the characters are good, and the only issue I have with this particular story is the stereotyped librarian. I was a school librarian for many years, and my library was a vibrant, fun place, with lots of great projects, excellent learning taking place, and yes, noise! - all of which I encouraged. The days of librarians shushing everybody are long gone - and should be in fiction, as well. I also did not treat my ...more
Lisa Morin
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this wasn't my favorite book in the series, it was still a very good story.
High school reunions can be killer and Haley's certainly was. When the cupcake queen is found dead, there are plenty of suspects and Haley plans on solving this one.
The reason I like this series is because of the humor and well developed characters. To me, this is a comfort series that I can turn to when I need a good laugh. The author brings the characters to life and I feel like I know all of them.
Paula Adams
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Haley some how gets involved in planning their high school reunion along with a couple of the mean girls, one of which is a cupcake baker/queen. The columns the Haley writes are a hoot, I can't believe her friends and family speak to her after reading it. The recipes sound yummy. There is a surprise ending, I never figured entirely who the killer was.
Jenni Schell
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cannot get enough of this series. I just fly through each book. The characters are warm and funny and there is always a great mystery. I can't wait for more.
Denise
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Another great book in the series.

I'm binge reading the series. On to the next one. So far, all have been great. Hope you enjoy the series too.
Sue Ross
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book in the Haley Powell food and cocktails mystery, there is a high school reunion and everybody is there to attend. Haley’s three worst enemies, aka, the mean girls are on the planning committee with Haley. When one of them turns up dead, there are unanswered questions from years ago about how a semi
famous actor died 20 years ago. Clues lead back to the mean girls. Did the death of the cupcake queen tie into that death so many years ago?
Lee Hollis is a master at mystery. She makes her
Ranie Elias
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the funniest mystery book I ever read...it was fast paced, interesting and comical...it will keep you laughing and guessing till the end. I highly recommend it, to everyone!
Dawn Frazier
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, as I have all of the others in this series. They are just so much fun!
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
When Hayley Powell is railroaded into providing food for her high school reunion, she doesn't expect that the only other person with food will be murdered before the cupcakes are even set out. One of the mean girls in school, Ivy Foster, is found murdered in the kitchen of the club where they're holding the reunion. While several people aren't surprised - Ivy was not a nice person and even had no problem fighting with her husband in public - someone hated her enough to bash her head in. And Hayl ...more
Darlene
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This cozy mystery was a great whodunit, and which had a lot more going on than what first appeared!

Hayley Powell is a single mom of two teenagers, who works for the local newspaper. Her boyfriend is a veterinarian, and she writes a culinary column in the local newspaper. With her high school’s forthcoming 20-year reunion, Hayley is not looking forward to seeing some of her classmates. You know the ones, the snobby girls who made everyone else’s life miserable! Somehow, Hayley ends up getting rop
Paula Ratcliffe
Kathleen Chrisman
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hayley Powell and her best friend Liddy are willing to help with the class reunion that is only a few days away. unfortunately, the three mean girls from high school are also working on the plans which quickly become a lot of work with little help. At the reunion one of the mean girls is found dead and her husband is taken into custody. But, it looks like someone is trying to get rid of the mean girls one by one. Can Hayley gather all of the clues to help her brother in law find the real killer ...more
Laura Ruetz
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is still an enjoyable mystery with the very relatable and likable Hayley Powell. She is down to earth, smart and I just find her easy to relate to. She is the shining light in all of the books. I felt the plot on this one was a bit too convoluted and it made muddled up the last 1/4 of the book.
Lorraine
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I almost put this down after a few chapters because it sounded like a bad version of Sweet Valley High. But, it did get more interesting toward the end. I'll give this series one of two more tries. They are fairly fluffy entertainment.
Sandra
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good cozy mystery. Generally I like mysteries that have their roots in the past and this one does.

The title gives too much away, though, and there were several story lines that started but were never resolved.

There was a surprise twist at the end.
Becky haxton
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful read. One I got passed chapter two I was so engrossed into it
Emily Ann
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books are so addicting!
Kim j
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. This is what I expect a cozy to be. I love the characters and easy anyone can relate to them. The plot was great and a nice twist at the end!!!
Joey
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will I love this book. The story was very well written and it was real njoyable
Janet
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun! I am so enjoying this series. I recommend to those who love a cozy mystery, good characters and some laughs along the way. There's a funeral scene that definitely made me laugh - no spoiler!
Jen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Another funny mystery from Bar Harbor, Maine.
Misty
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
amazing. I really did not expect the ending. A really fun read as I have come to expect from Lee Hollis!
Doward Wilson
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is Book#6 in this wonderful, wacky and highly entertaining murder series. Hayley Powell is the office manager and writes a food and cocktail column for the local newspaper. A single mother of two who stays busy with her teenagers, house, food, job and the occasional murder; she is ditzy, down-to-earth and smart all at the same time. Her family and friends are crazy in a funny way and you end up feeling like you are there with them. I like how the background pulls you in with the description ...more
Jennifer Brown
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I seriously love this series! The main character and her friends and family are completely lovable and I'm so happy when I get to step into their world! I laughed many times (and got dirty looks from people) during this book.

It is Hayley and her friends 20th high school reunion. The "mean girls" are helping plan it (and pretty much taking over). One of them is murdered during it. There are seven new pups who make an appearance in this one with adorable names! And another mystery thrown in. Tons
Kathy Bryson
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
It may be a cliché that everyone hated high school, but the former prom queen in this story acts badly enough that no one’s all that surprised or dismayed by her untimely end. Hayley is drawn into investigating through her relationship with the sheriff and work with the local paper, even as she deals with her teenage children and other high school dramas like grades and prom. Light-hearted fare with a teasing who-dun-it that pulls from common experience.
Marilyn Slusher
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This was not one of the better writings of Lee Hollis. Hayley manages to get herself involved in the solving of another murder - the murder of one of the mean girls from her high school days. The characters were not realistic. It almost appears as if Sergio, the chief of police, lets Hayley solve the crime. She gathers evidence from one of the crime scenes, and we never know if she actually gives it to Sergio. I am hoping her next book is put together better.
Cheryl
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is 6th in the series about Hayley who writes a food and cocktail columnist for the newspaper. Since I jus tread book 4 and 5 it was fun to continues the story. In this bok Hayley is dreading seeing the 3 mean girls at her high school reunion. Former prom queen is now the queen of cupcake baking and is the first found dead. Hayley figures out what is going on. A little reminder of how past school days can affect the future.

• Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3)
  • Cracked to Death (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Florist Grump (A Flower Shop Mystery, #17)
  • Feta Attraction (Greek to Me Mystery #1)
  • Better Off Thread (An Embroidery Mystery #10)
  • Macaroni and Freeze (A Comfort Food Mystery, #4)
  • A Vintage Death (Keepsake Cove Mystery, #2)
  • The Final Vow (Living History Museum, #3)
  • Diamond Girl (The Country Club Murders, #6.5)
  • Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7)
  • Harvest of Secrets (Wine Country Mysteries, #9)
  • Vamps, Villains and Vaudeville (A Jazz Age Mystery #4)
  • Hero's Journey (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #1.5)
  • Éclair and Present Danger (An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #1)
  • Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4)
  • Shades of Wrath (Caprice De Luca Mystery #6)
  • Against the Claw (Lobster Shack Mystery, #2)
  • Shot in the Dark (Coffeehouse Mystery #17)
Lee Hollis is the pen name for Rick Copp and his sister Holly Simason.

Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Country Fried Redneck (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #2)
  • Death of a Coupon Clipper (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Chocoholic (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #4)
  • Death of a Christmas Caterer (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Bacon Heiress (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #7)
  • Death of a Pumpkin Carver (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #8)
  • Death of a Lobster Lover (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #9)
  • Death of a Cookbook Author (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #10)
  • Death of a Wedding Cake Baker (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #11)