Start by marking “Never Die Alone (New Orleans, #8)” as Want to Read:
Never Die Alone (New Orleans, #8)

Never Die Alone

(New Orleans #8)

Never Drop Your Guard

It should be the best day of their lives. Too bad they never get to see it. On the cusp of their twenty-first birthday, he strikes. His victims are always twins, their ritualistic murders planned in exquisite detail, down to the moment when they breathe their last together. . .

Never Close Your Eyes

An innocent man is in prison, and Brianna Hayward needs
Published July 28th 2015 by Zebra (first published July 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Never Die Alone, please sign up.
Mary All of the characters intertwined,almost all being twins,known & unknowned.
…more
All of the characters intertwined,almost all being twins,known & unknowned.
(less)

Start your review of Never Die Alone (New Orleans, #8)
Alex is The Romance Fox
Lisa Jackson is one of my favorite romance suspense authors and I have read a load of her books.

Never Die Alone, the 8th book in her New Orleans Series featuring Detective Rick Bentz and his partner, Reuben Montoya, are on a desperate chase to find a killer, whose victims are young women who are about to turn 21 years and who they believed had been locked away.

A mystery filled with twists and turns and actually a good read.
Sean Peters
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Thank You to Net Galley, the publishers and the author for an advanced copy for an honest review.

My first novel by this author.

Never Drop Your Guard

Never Close Your Eyes

Brianna Hayward is a twin-less twin; she lost her sister
Rosie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Lisa Jackson book I have read. I thought the idea of a killer targeting twins before their 21st birthday was an interesting premise for a book. Unfortunately, the story didn't really work for me. There were so many different plot lines that I felt the story just didn't really move anywhere until around the last 50 or so pages. The story was more focused around characters and what they were doing, than the actual detectives trying to solve the case. At around the 200 page mark ...more
Marc Diepstraten
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars actually. Hmm, i don't know. The writing is ok, the story is ok, but there is something off. The story of the kidnapped girls is central, the other events happening in passing. This I guess is a different view point since it is more common that the police and their search is more present. When I'm reading I don't get myself occupied and start guessing or second guessing the writer; wherever she/he wants to lead is fine by me. What I do found astonishing is that 350 pages in (out of 411 ...more
Liz Barnsley
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've dipped in and out of this series from Lisa Jackson - have enjoyed all the ones that I have read, this was a slight departure for her as it focused more on some of the surrounding characters- I loved that about it, kind of a different angle but with the same feel

It worked really well - the tale is one of a killer, thought to be in jail, who kidnaps twins on the eve of their 21st birthday and kills them at the time of their birth. When another set of twins goes missing the game is afoot. So t
MaryG2E
2★s
The opening action sequence of this suspense novel was indeed tense and stirring. Unfortunately it all went downhill from there.
For me the major fault with this book was its narrative structure - multiple narrative threads, which did not intertwine in any meaningful way. All they did was distract and confuse. Far, far, far too many narrative voices and points of view made the story disjointed and overly complicated.
One of my main frustrations was the low key and uninteresting role played by t
Nikki  Ryan-Kahler
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book this writer really knows how to keep her readers on the edge of their seats ... Very difficult to put down!!
Diane Hernandez
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
It is a really bad sign when an ongoing character says that he feels like he is on a hidden camera show because the plot is so absurd. However that occurs within this book.

I have read several of the author's stand-alone books that I really enjoyed. This is the first of her Bentz/Montoya series that I have read and I didn't like it nearly as well. The book has so many subplots that it would take 60 pages before the subplot would return. In addition, I was just sick of the plaintive cries of "Zoe!
Heather
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Let me just say I loved the Bentz and Montoya novels previously written by Lisa Jackson but since she normally writes romantic suspense, I wasn't sure what to expect since Bentz/Montoya have already found love. However, this book is a bit different in that there is very little romance and we really don't see too much of Bentz/Montoya. Sure they are there but they are more of a background story.
This was a great mystery surrounding the abduction of a set of twins on their birthday possibly by the
Jessie Henry
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. Jackson jumps from point of view sporadically throughout chapters, literally within paragraphs. She introduces and provides back stories for unimportant characters and continued to introduce new characters up until the very last chapter. The "plot twist" at the end was completely ridiculous, as was the Twins' meager multiple attempts to thwart their captor. I didn't feel connected to any of the characters - the dialogue was stale and cliche, as was ...more
CL
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an on the edge of your seat thriller. The 21 Killer abducts twins before their 21st birthdays and kills them in a ritualistic manner. The police think they have the right man in prison who has proclaimed his innocence but another set of twins have been abducted and on the eve of their 21st birthday. Can the police find him if he really has returned, can the reporter who has a connection to the killer he is unaware of find him, can the surviving twin who heads up the "twinless twin" supp ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is #8 in a series of which I have probably read 4.

The police thought they had the "21" killer safely locked away.

But now twin sisters from LSU have vanished, only days before their 21st birthday. And as Bentz and his partner, Reuben Montoya, desperately follow the trail, the killer prepares to unite his victims in death forever. . .

This is a quick, easy read with no great surprises. Never Die Alone would be a great summer holiday read.

Thank you to NetGalley, publishers Kensington Books and
Hannah
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Jackson's ongoing series following Rick Bentz and Reuben Montoya two New Orleans Homicide detectives continues to have more then their fair share of the worst of the worst. This is book eight and as far as the series goes this can be read as a stand-alone. It does talk about a past case as it references to a secondary story line Lisa Jackson is building up to for another book. It does get redundant as it is mentioned more then a few times, I think unnecessary but then I have read that book ...more
Gina
One of the most suspenseful books from what I think is Jackson's best series, the New Orleans series. The 21 Killer is back in the hunt, which means that the guy currently locked up in California pegged to be this killer, is an innocent man or they have a very knowledgeable copycat on their hands. On the night before their 21st birthday, Chloe and Zoe Denning go missing. It's like they just dropped off the radar at 10:00, before it even turned midnight, their actual birthday. Their mother is a w ...more
Dan Biermeier
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not the first Lisa Jackson book that I have read, but it is the first Bentz/Montoya novel.

'Never Die Alone' is #8 in the series but I never felt that I was missing a thing, so it stands alone well. Detectives Bentz and Montoya are secondary characters in this story, if the cover hadn't told me, I would not have guessed that it was part of their series.

It is a well told story involving kidnapped twins. Very fast paced and keeps you reading. Jackson is a very, very, good writer.

The only th
Steve
Jun 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just couldn't get into it.
Janine
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Struggled to get into this and suffered from not having read previous books in the series.
Doris
Mar 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Took it back to the library without finishing it. Too much horror up front just did not appeal.
Doris
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, supernatural
This book of twins - and the ties that bind - was shocking, especially as it dealt with the horrible back view of the twin mentality.

"Myra" had me worried, until I realize who she had to be - not her personality but her reality. Then I just grieved for her.

"The attacker" frightened me, not just because of the murders, but because of the harsh reality that none of us is invulnerable.

The father mad me sad and angry and hopeful he would be evicted not just from the homes but the lives of his chil
Alasandra Alawine
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
There are too many sub plots, which I found irritating as it delayed finding out what had happened to Zoe and Chloe.

The first sub plot is Father John has come back leading Bentz to go on a drinking spree. Olivia is also urging him to give up police work.

The second sub plot revolves around the death of Brianna's twin Arianna, and Jase's part in it. Arianna had been sneaking out at night to meet Jase, the local rebel without a cause. One night he was late meeting her and she was raped. Jase atta
Aparna
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stars: 4 / 5
Recommendation: Bone-chilling thriller with the touches of romance, lust and twisted minds - a perfect medley to enjoy the read despite the shivers it leaves in the reader's spine.

Never Die Alone is the eighth book in the New Orleans series by Lisa Jackson with Detectives Rick Bentz and Reuben Montoya published in August of 2015. The plot is set immediately after the events that occur in the previous book, Devious (https://inspirethoughts.livejournal.c...).

After going through a lot o
Tom Tischler
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Zoe and Chloe Denning go out to celebrate their 21st birthday and
they never return home. Brianna Hayward is convinced that a killer
called the 21 killer and who is in custody in L.A. isn't the real killer
and she thinks that he is now in New Orleans. His murders are exqui-
setly planned and the victims are always twins. Reporter Jason Bridges is intrigued by Brianna's story and he thinks that this could make his
career. Both he and Brianna have big secrets to hide. Detective Rick
Bentz who first ar
Karen
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Lisa Jackson's New Orleans suspense stories and this one doesn't disappoint. It has two suspense threats going on: the kidnapping of twins and the second is the return of Father John. The pace is fast with lots of twists and turns. Detective Rick Bentz has his hands full as the clock is ticking for the victims. There was one moment that had me scratching my head as far as plausibility, but that's JMO and it didn't distract me from this otherwise action packed story. Another winner by Ms J ...more
Susan
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
A well written tight mystery thriller. I actually am trying to read different mystery writers to increase my vocabulary of skill involved in doing so. The back ground work is tremendous and I give all mystery writers credit for their research. Because this takes place in Louisiana, I chose to try this writer as I lived in Baton Rouge, LA for two years. I enjoyed how the bayous came to life in words. The subject is twins. In this story twins that turn 21 years of age are potential victims of the ...more
Diane
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Somebody is killing twins on their exact 21st birthday! The basic story line was really good, but I found there was an awful lot of characters to keep sorted out. The original has been happening in a couple of books leading up to this culmination along with a good paced race to the finish, so-to-speak.

Not a bad read, but I found myself getting impatient with repetitive descriptions and conversations. Overall it's worth the read.

a thumbs up and 4 stars
Vicky
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another tense nail-biter. The big plot twist is absolutely preposterous, but that's OK. If you have read every book in the series you should expect this. After all what real life cop has had to endure having both his wife and daughter becoming targets of serial killers, multiple times. And, for once, the targets of the homicidal maniac don't give in without a fight. If you're into the romantic suspense genre, suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride.
Sheryl Jones
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I usually can't put a Lisa Jackson book down once I have started reading it, but that was not the case with this book. It seemed to take forever to read and it was so easy to walk away from it in the middle of a page/chapter. I really can't pinpoint why other than there were too many characters and side stories too quickly and I just wasn't pulled in and engaged with them until almost the end of the book.
Tara Kable
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased, netgalley
I received this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I am embarrassed to say I have most of this author's books, but have not read any yet...This is my first, and I can't wait to go back and start the series from the beginning. This was a really good installment and the writing was engaging. I will definitely move Ms. Jackson to the top of the list.
Nora
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has been by far another one of her best. I read this book in one day. I was so worried about the twins and the killer turned out to be a complete surprise. This book will keep you on the edge of your seats for sure. Can't wait to read the next one.
Penny
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Lisa Jackson's New Orleans books involving officers Bentz and Montoya. This novel is fast paced with many twists and turns. It's an edge of your seat thriller that won't disappoint you if this is the genre you enjoy. The ending is awesome!

• Burn You Twice
  • Bad Things
  • Texas Fierce (The Tylers of Texas, #4)
  • The Killing Game (Nowhere, #5)
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • Forgotten Secrets
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead, #1; John Mancini, #3)
  • Close to the Bone (Theresa MacLean, #7)
  • Cry Wolf (Doucet, #3)
  • Killer Dreams
  • Two Widows
  • What Doesn't Kill You (Catherine Ling, #2)
  • Deja Vu (Sisterhood, #19)
  • Just Try To Stop Me (Waterman and Stark #3)
  • Shattered Secrets (Cold Creek, #1)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

New Orleans (8 books)
  • Hot Blooded (New Orleans #1)
  • Cold Blooded (New Orleans #2)
  • Shiver (New Orleans, #3)
  • Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • Lost Souls (New Orleans, #5)
  • Malice (New Orleans, #6)
  • Devious (New Orleans, #7)