Start by marking “Corral Nocturne (Historical Fairytales #1)” as Want to Read:
Corral Nocturne (Historical Fairytales #1)

Corral Nocturne

(Historical Fairytales #1)

There's no fairy godmothers on the prairie.

But there just might be a prince.

Life on her brother’s ranch is lonely for Ellie Strickland. Ed’s ungracious manners and tight-fisted habits keep visitors away and his mother and sister close to home. But when Cole Newcomb, son of the wealthiest rancher in the county, meets Ellie by chance, he is struck by an unexpected impulse to
Published November 1st 2014 by Second Sentence Press

To ask other readers questions about Corral Nocturne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corral Nocturne

Marquise
Another fairy tale + Western mash-up, this time taking Perrault's Cinderella to the American West. It's the second novella by this author I have read, and I am liking this series mostly for two reasons:

a. These are purely historical retellings, meaning: no Fantasy settings and no magic. Which makes the fairy tale plots look more "real" and less fantastical. Just my type! There are too many Fantasy and Sci-Fi retellings already, or retellings that are set in real history and places but use magic
Schuyler
First of all, can I say how much I love novellas? They are quick, easy to read, and make me feel like I'm accomplishing a lot even when reading time has to be snatched here and there. I never thought how much artistry and satisfaction a short story could hold, but Elisabeth Foley's have been just the ticket.

Second, Ellie's mama is awesome. A lot of authors could take a Cinderella story and keep in the evil stepmother motif, but Foley wrote a close and loving mother/daughter relationship. Do you
Natalie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and beautiful. <3
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 12 and up

Having very much enjoyed Foley’s Mrs. Meade books and her collection of short stories, I was very eager to read her Cinderella retelling. I was not disappointed.

This whole story had a nostalgia feel to it. It is the kind of story you could see being made into a black and white film or a finding with an old style hardcover on it. Those who love old fashioned stories will probably adore the entire feel and language of this story.

The romance was
Hannah
A sweet little romance set under Western skies. I love the writing style; some of the sentences are positively poetic. I've recommended Elisabeth's Westerns to several people, and I'm always reminded why I do with each one I read. This is a little gem that will sweep you right back in time and make you see all sorts of things through Ellie's eyes.
Emily
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I intended to read just a few pages before going to bed last night....3 hours later, I have finished the book! I couldn't put it down! Elisabeth Grace Foley weaved a truly beautiful twist on Cinderella. Cole and Ellie are darling, and the dialogue was splendid. Well done, Elisabeth!
Katy
Cute. Definitely too good to be true, with a happily ever after ending. There's much "tell" rather than show, and I wish the author had developed the relationship more between the main couple, as well as expanded on the ending. Still, overall a short sweet read.

My Rating: 6/10. Good
Angie Thompson
A very sweet Western twist on a Cinderella retelling. I loved the fact that the author didn't feel compelled to bring over every piece of the original story; she used what suited her purposes and told her own story while incorporating a number of nods to the original. I really loved both Ellie and Cole and the way their relationship developed, and I just adored the scene at the corral. <3<3 So cute!!! And all the dialogue was so real and natural without feeling in any way bland or forced. ...more
Shantelle
Corral Nocturne by Elisabeth Grace Foley was such a sweet book, I enjoyed it a lot!

In a lovely western setting with a subtle Cinderella theme, a story unfolds of a quiet, overlooked girl named Ellie and the handsome son, Cole, of the wealthiest rancher in the area. Summer brings about a fairytale-ish romance, but small trials and mean-spirited whispers are at work to keep this love story from coming to full bloom…

This really was just a sigh-worthy little tale. Short and sweet with charming fe
Rachel Heffington
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it

Having enjoyed Elisabeth Grace Foley's 'Mrs. Meade Mysteries Vol. 1', I was quite prepared to enjoy 'Corral Nocturne,' but I wasn't certain how the author would effectively spin a Cinderella story out of prairie grass and homespun. I shouldn't have been worried. The mark of a good writer, for me, is that they have consistency. Foley is nothing if not consistent. From her mysteries to her blog posts to Corral Nocturne, Foley knows her stuff and writes it effortlessly. Most experiences I've had wi
Kara
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This was a very sweet historical nod to Cinderella and I quite enjoyed it! A fellow blogger recommended this one several months ago and as she rarely steers me wrong, I knew I'd pick it up some day. I'm so glad I did! (Of course, it was helped by the fact that she mentioned she kept picturing Armie Hammer as Cole and well...*swoon* ;) It's a quieter story, yet the characters shine brightly. Ellie is so gentle and wonderful, I wanted rather desperately for things to get better for her. And Cole? ...more
Amber Stokes
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Corral Nocturne is a truly sweet Western romance novella, with a few cleverly added nods at the fairy tale of Cinderella, but remaining very much its own tender tale. There are some literal fireworks, but not so many figurative ones... Instead, this is a simple, down-home story about a kind gesture blossoming into something more during the lazy, lovely days of summer on the prairie. A perfect little read to warm your heart during a cold night, with a very pretty and fitting cover, I might add!
Becca
I certainly prefer the Hill of the Red Wolf (a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood by the same author) to this story, perhaps in part because Cinderella has never been my favorite fairytale. However, I think my indifference was brought about by the heroine. Good grief, she was ridiculous in the end! She's quite the opposite of Rosa Jean in the Hill of the Red Wolf. Or maybe I'm just getting tired of fairytale retellings. :/

Several good points:

(1) Ellie has a wonderful relationship with her mom.
Allison Tebo
A nice little novel with Miss Foley's usual poetic and gentle style.

A sweet romance and a interesting take on the original fairy tale. It's a little sentimental, but that's all right - it's Cinderella, after all!
Hayden
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before I begin- can I just say that Corral Nocturne is just a very neat title? And perfect for a western story that also happens to be loose re-telling of Cinderella?

This book reminded me a bit of the Heartsong Presents novellas, except better written- or at least, written in a style that I personally prefer. It was a sweet, clean romance that was utterly adorable. Ellie was an enjoyable heroine that I felt was relatable, and Cole the perfect western equivalent of a fairy-tale prince.

Granted, th
Leanne
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ellie Strickland lived a lonely life on her brothers ranch out west. With her brother being mean and rude to everyone who stopped by not many people came out to see them. But when Ellie meets Cole Newcomb, the son of the wealthiest rancher in the county, things might just start to change. But even though Cole thought he had a good plan to Save Ellie from her brothers lonely ranch, things may not go just like the way he planned. So when Ellie gets invited to the big fourth of July dance it could ...more
Suzannah
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
From Elisabeth's blog, I knew to expect a well-crafted story with subtle characterisation and a lovely, if somewhat pensive, writing style. I was interested to see how this would fit into a short Cinderella retelling, and while this is a very sweet and beautifully-written story (reminding me of LM Montgomery's short stories), I ended up feeling that it was a little beneath the author's powers. I would have liked to have seen a more ambitious twist on the well-known Cinderella plot, while I felt ...more
Bethany
Rating: 3.5 stars.

I confess I was somewhat skeptical about reading this book, since it was described as a Cinderella re-telling. However I’m glad I did. It’s true it is something like the Cinderella story, but there is no magic whatsoever, and the only part, in fact, that was similar was the fourth of July dance.

I didn’t like that Cole kissed Ellie at the end, even though they were practically engaged, and I didn’t agree with the dance, although they were very common amongst the American pionee
Haley Whitehall
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having written a Civil War Cinderella story myself I was eager to read Elisabeth Grace Foley's western rendition. It is a clean western romance suitable for young adults and up.

It was a quick easy read and I enjoyed it. I would have liked to feel a closer connection with the characters. Ms. Foley tends to have a more distant writing style than I prefer.

I'm looking forward to reading a longer romance from her.
Rachel
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is such a charming and enjoyable western Cinderella retelling! I've read two of Foley's other books, "Left-Hand Kelly" and "The Ranch Next Door and Other Stories," and I liked both of those, but I like "Corral Nocturne" better than either of them. It rounds out the handsome prince character to make it clear why someone would fall in love with him. I think anyone who enjoys reading romances set in a western setting, or updated fairytales in general, would greatly enjoy this novella.
Jo
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A sweet short story

This was just what I needed to finish off a good day. This book is a sweet,love story. I highly recommend it.
rated it it was ok
Carissa
Mar 18, 2015
Éowyn
Nov 10, 2017

Historical Fairytales (3 books)
  • Lost Lake House (Historical Fairytales #2)
  • The Mountain of the Wolf (Historical Fairytales #3)