Start by marking “Bittere Wunden” as Want to Read:
Bittere Wunden

Bittere Wunden

(Will Trent #6)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  26,502 ratings  ·  2,093 reviews
Karin Slaughter’s new novel is an epic tale of love, loyalty, and murder that encompasses forty years, two chillingly similar murder cases, and a good man’s deepest secrets.

Will Trent is a brilliant agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Newly in love, he is beginning to put a difficult past behind him. Then a local college student goes missing, and Will is ine
Published September 2014 by Blanvalet (first published July 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bittere Wunden, please sign up.
Michael Prentice No, it is not necessary. "Criminal" is the first I read, and it was straightforward on its own. Generally for a mystery series, it is never necessary…moreNo, it is not necessary. "Criminal" is the first I read, and it was straightforward on its own. Generally for a mystery series, it is never necessary to read them in order - unless you care about character development.(less)
Cheryl
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Julie
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Criminal by Karin Slaughter is a 2012 publication.

I was making great progress with this series, but got sidetracked somewhere along the way, but hopefully, I can get back on track now.

Wowza!! This is an amazing installment in this series and might be one of the best so far.

Will and Amanda’s backstories are examined as we trip back in time to the mid-seventies when Will’s father is making a name for himself, and not in a good way.

This story explains how and why Amanda knows Will so well, an
♥Sharon♥
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am not sure what else I can say about Will Trent. I love who he is.

photo 660b1328-bc2f-4cc5-be62-97e41083cc42_zpsligch1wv.jpg

I should have been prepared for what was revealed in Criminal but I wasn’t. I shed tears for Will, felt anger towards Amanda and I really wanted to scratch out Angie’s eyes. Grrrr she makes me so angry.

There is so much that is revealed and a lot to process. I really had to pay attention.

The story is told between the past which is in the mid-70’s and the present. The past reveals things about Amanda and Evelyn and other’s tha
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
I have read a lot of reviews and a lot of people said that this was their favorite book in the series. I will have to disagree on that. To me it was very slow. I do love Will Trent and he is my favorite character and the only reason I gave it 4 stars is because I really learned a lot more about Will Trent and loved this part of the story.

The story keeps going from the year 1975 to the present. It changes back and forth and if you didn't keep an eye on it, it could get a little confusing. We lear
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I eagerly anticipate every single book by Karin Slaughter, and she's never let me down when it comes to Will Trent and Sara Linton--and after last year's fantastic Fallen, I was really excited to read her new book. Criminal is, however, my least favorite book by this author yet, and the first book in the Georgia series that I've rated less than 4 stars. After thoroughly enjoying each of the previous (12?) novels in this series, it's something of a shock to find myself with such mixed/n ...more
*TANYA*
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017, own-it
My favorite book in the series thus far. FANTASTIC! The intricacies of this story was off the charts!! VERY EMOTIONAL!!! Heart wrenching!! On to the next one!!!
Jonetta
When a college student goes missing and Amanda Wagner refuses to let Will Trent participate, ensuing events resurrect the case that launched her career and expose the roots of his parentage.

The story transitions between the present and 1974/1975. Whatever I previously thought about Amanda Wagner and Evelyn Mitchell was upended here. Their early obstacles faced as the first women in a police department run rampant with sexism and racism were daunting. The fact that they not only persevered but s
D.B. Woodling
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
The sheer fact that Will Trent survived birth is a miracle in itself. Dyslexic, uncertain, and orphaned from day one, he is banished to a rudimentary orphanage. Will beats the odds and becomes a gifted agent for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Refusing to cut ties completely with his drug-addicted wife or end his obsession with his mother’s violent death, Will seems incapable of outrunning his past.

Forty years following the kidnapping, rape, and murder of several Atlanta prostitutes, the ho
Scott Archer
Slaughter needs to rethink the series going forward. I had many problems getting through this book.

1. The actual criminal plot takes forever to get moving. Too much of the first half is devoted to the ongoing personal sagas that are pretty much identical for each character as in earlier novels (e.g. Will's inability to articulate or share problems with Sarah, Will's dyslexia, Will's absurd attachment to his witch of an ex-wife). It's like a broken record. A good police thriller should at least
Mo
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"You know how it is with men.
Sometimes it's criminal what a woman has to do."

This was hovering at a four star for most of the book due to the fact that I was not too keen on the 70's theme. But, it had to be done to get to the in's and out's of the matter. Will's background, Amanda and Evelyn's early years in the Police Force.

No one wanted Will, either. He'd spent most of his early life being checked in and out of the children's home like a dog-eared library book ...

This book has a dual pers
Marnie  Krüger
This might just be my favorite in the series!

I really enjoyed the back story, getting to see where Amanda and the girls started, how they had to fight to get acknowledgment. I must say the research Slaughter put in to make this book so amazing was just astonishing. You get to live in 1975, that's how good the portrayal is.

This series is really one of my all time favorites! Slaughter kind of dedicate each book to a different character and we get to know the in-depth story about them. This book fo
Lisa
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Criminal by Karin Slaughter is a fabulous continuation in the Will Trent series the characters jump right out at you & the pace never misses a beat. I love this series & she never disappoints.

we also learn more about Will his birth & we also find more out about his uncle & father which blew me for 6.

Lucy Bennett was found dead in an apartment in Atlanta she was a drug addict & prostitute her pimp Juice gave her anything she wanted as long as she did her thing..

Her blood stain
♥Rachel♥
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This installment takes us back to the past where Amanda (Will's boss) and Evelyn first team up and work on their first case. Their case in the past ties into the case being worked in the present, and it all involves Will. Both cases were pretty engrossing. I now know why Amanda is a tough bitch, and I don't blame her one bit. It's appalling if that's the way women were treated on the police force back in the early '70s.

Criminal sheds more light on Will's history.(view spoiler)
Andrea
I love Karin slaughter books,for me this one was lacking I would give it a 3.5 rating.it was slow and not so keen going back in time.and missed the gritty parts of the book.wanted to know about will and sara lets hope it gets back on track in her next book.
Linda
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read Karins books from day one. I love the characters so much they feel like old friends.
In Criminal we discover a whole lot more about Will Trent, the circumstances of his birth who his parents are/were and more about his life as a small boy.....oh and some murders along the way. We also find out about his boss Amanda's early life in the police force where it was obvious women weren't welcome. Told in present and past (1974) time, this was, to me, yet again a wonderful piece of story tel
Jean
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1975: The Vietnam War ended. Gerald Ford was President. Margaret Thatcher was chosen to lead the British Conservative Party. Jimmy Hoffa disappeared. Patty Hearst was one of America’s Most Wanted. Women and blacks in the Atlanta Police Department – and probably elsewhere in the US – had an uphill climb.

Criminal, the sixth novel in Karin Slaughter’s Will Trent series, is alternates between 1975 and present day Atlanta. In the unhurried double story line, Ms. Slaughter constructs two paths, brick
Marty Fried
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of the gang from Atlanta, you'll have to read this. It tells about the history of Will, his boss at the GBI Amanda, his partner's mother and Amanda's friend Evelyn, not to mention Will's mother, father, and uncle.

The story takes place during several timelines, one of which is "the present". It gets confusing at times, especially with an audiobook, and takes a little getting used to.

There is the ever ongoing backstory of the evolving (and devolving) of the romance between Will a
Morana Mazor
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Rane", Karin Slaughter; Znanje

Onim čitaocima koji su se već upoznali sa romanima Karin Slaughter i sa njezinim agentom Willom Trentom (a vjerujem da ih je dosta) ova će knjiga dobro doći kako bi bolje shvatili pozadinu Willova lika i što ga to točno čini ovakvim kakav je danas.
A oni koji još ništa nisu čitali neće uopće pogriješiti, ako im upravo "Rane" budu prvi susret sa djelima ove autorice jer je ova priča cjelovita i potpuna i može se, bez ikakvih problema, čitati zasebno, nevezano za pr
Piper
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Loved this one!! It took me forever to read it- but only due to personal circumstances. I may come back with a full review later. Right now though- I'm moving on to Unseen.
Poonam

Read this as part of 2018 Ultimate Reading Challenge, Category: "A book with over 500 pages".

I actually stumbled upon this book in a book sale and picked it up on a whim. I have never read a book by Karin Slaughter before but the blurb of this book looked really interesting and I decided to give this a try.

Well first of all I did not know this is part of a series and I am not sure if picking up this book which is actually 6th in the series was a good decision. I do not know if anythin
Ariana Fae
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CRIMINAL by Karin Slaughter can be summed up by Lee Child’s blurb on the cover of this book:

“Karin Slaughter’s best yet by far: All her signature strengths are amplified a hundredfold by the past explaining the present. Reading the book was like watching a great athlete having a career year”

I had one word to describe her talent when it came to writing this story “genius”.

Even better this formula:
Will Trent series + Grant County series + Cop Town = ONE AMAZING & RIVETING STORY

I loved how def
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
5 BIG STARS - I never thought I'd be rating a thriller about a horrible serial killer this way but the plot and character development in this and the previous Grant County series is AMAZING. Two words... Will Trent.. the most unique, resilient and endearing hero I think I've ever read. In each instalment of this series we learn more and more and unwrap layer by layer these characters' lives.. the abovementioned Will, loyal Sara, feisty Faith and the veterans Amanda Wagner and Evelyn Mitchell wit ...more
Dotti Elrick
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and this author. This new book is no exception. It was amazing. In Criminal, we learn a lot about the parents of GBI Investigator Will Trent. And Will finally gets some of the answers he's been looking for. He learns a little more about the strange relationship he has with his boss Amanda Wagner.
This story is told in two parts. Two crimes that take place 30 years apart. Both involving Will and Amanda. Atlanta, 1975, women are not a welcome or wanted part of the Atlanta Police
Angela Risner
I love Karin Slaughter's books and her characters. I was excited to receive this book before the date of publication.

This book focuses on way too many storylines and characters:
1. We have Will Trent, who is still married to Angie, still in love with Sara, still in angst over his childhood.
2. We have Faith's mom, Evelyn Mitchell, and Amanda Wagner, Will's boos. Both are featured in present-day chapters as well as flashbacks to 1975.
3. We have five prostitutes who have disappeared or were murdere
Debra
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I am most likely in the minority here, but this book was just okay for me. It did not move as fast as previous books in this series. Plus, I wanted more of Will and Sara.

This book does give us a lot of information on the back stories of several characters: Amanda, Evelyn and Will. We, the reader, are shown how Amanda and Evelyn started their careers as police officers. How their friendship evolved, how the investigated their cases, what it was like to be a woman officer in the Seventies.
Hollis
One of the major strengths of CRIMINAL was tracking back thirty+ years and living through the events that brought us to where Will Trent, and the Will Trent series, is today. But in some ways it also worked to slow down this story. Seeing the early days for Amanda and Evelyn, the rampant sexism towards women trying to break into the workforce (not to mention the policeforce), the still present racism against African Americans, was incredible. Shocking. And uncomfortable. But it was also magnific ...more
Petra Miocic

Odnos roditelja i djece. Susret dvaju sasvim različitih genetskih kodova čijim se spajanjem, jednostavnom jednadžbom, dobiva onaj treći. Poseban, neovisan, svoj i drugačiji. A opet tako sličan i blizak kodovima iz kojih je nastao. Ponekad se, najčešće u najosjetljivijem adolescentnom razdoblju, u potrazi za samim sobom, nositelj proizvedenog koda svim silama trudi pokazati i održati svoju različitost, doživljavajući pritom svaku karakternu ili pojavnu slič
Freda Malone
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As we alternate chapters, the narrative is transitioning us between the 1974 and the present time.

In 1974, the young Amanda Wagner and Evelyn Mitchell are a partners in the Atlanta Police Department. When they stumble over a case of missing prostitutes, later found dead in the most gruesome ways, they are determined to solve the case. During this time Amanda and Evelyn also face many obstacles surrounding the era and segregation of racism and gender minorities. There is a bundle of sexual haras
Marleen
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: karin-slaughter
This is a story with 2 time-lines. Karin Slaughter did a fantastic job and has surpassed herself by catapulting us back into the 1970ies and giving us a glimpse of the misogynistic world female police officers had to work in. There was so much prejudice, so much meanness coming from men towards females; it was an eye-opener, truly. On the other hand, I struggled with the fact that I didn’t recognize the tough old Amanda in that 25-year old plainclothes young officer. She was so tentative, so doc ...more
V.R. Barkowski
Criminal is well written as are all of Karin Slaughter's books, but to call it part of the Will Trent Series is misleading.

We do get a good chunk of Will's backstory through the eyes of other characters, but little of it comes to us via Will. This is not Will's book, but Amanda Wagner's. And while I find Amanda a far more compelling character than Slaughter's other female protagonists, I read this series specifically for Will Trent's POV, and there is little of Will to be found here.

The book su
Sheyla ✎

Criminal was good but not as great as its predecessors.

I think the main reason why it wasn't as good for me is that Will was not in it for half of the book.

Criminal can be divided between the past in the 1970's where Amanda Wagner and Faith's mother, Evelyn Mitchell are the main characters and in the present were Will, Faith, Sara, and Amanda are running the investigation into the murder of a college student, Ashleigh Snyder.

When the book begins, we learn that Will's father has been released f
  • Kill You Twice (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #5)
  • Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11)
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • A Deeper Darkness (Dr. Samantha Owens, #1)
  • Kill For Me (Romantic Suspense, #9; Daniel Vartanian, #3)
  • Down the Darkest Road (Oak Knoll, #3)
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2)
  • Stalked (Lucy Kincaid, #5)
  • Night Watch (Alexandra Cooper, #14)
  • Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8)
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her eighteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated Cop Town and the instant New York Times bestselling novels Pretty Girls and The Good Daughter. Slaughter is the founder of the Save the Libr ...more

Will Trent (9 books)
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • Unseen (Will Trent, #7)
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent, #8)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
“Given enough idleness & time, she could talk herself into either loving or hating the man” 10 likes
“. . . he was about as forthcoming as an amnesiac with lockjaw.” 8 likes