Start by marking “A Royal Affair (A Royal Affair, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Royal Affair (A Royal Affair, #1)

A Royal Affair

(A Royal Affair #1)

Doctor Nikolai Hartmann represents himself as a learned man of science who believes wholly in the rational and scientific above all else. In reality, he is a man haunted by an unusual past and running from his own nature. While the Reformation transforms much of Europe, it has yet to touch Hesse-Davia; this is a land mired in superstition with cruel punishments for crimes ...more
Published September 8th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Royal Affair, please sign up.
John Wiltshire It's definitely something else in that's it's a historical novel with different characters. However, I guess the themes are similar -- the slow reveal…moreIt's definitely something else in that's it's a historical novel with different characters. However, I guess the themes are similar -- the slow reveal of identity; the struggle to find love.(less)

Start your review of A Royal Affair (A Royal Affair, #1)
Ingie
Written March 1, 2015

5 Stars - Unforgettable! Cheers and big applause

A Royal Affair was a wonderful read. An epic saga that enchanted me in the best way. What to say? —Perhaps there are flaws, but who cares?— With love full marks from me.
 photo b0d8252f-1b65-4411-91d0-fe41a4191d83_zpsfni2uzmn.jpg

‘We had been so innocent, so naive in our belief that we were inviolate in our little affair, our royal affair.’

Huge grateful stars to this adventurous novel. ~ A spellbinding FANTASTIC journey. I love, love, love...

*************************
Xing
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
*Deep breathing*

So this started out as a solid 4 stars for me. But sometime after 50%, that rating dropped. By 80%, I was skimming till the end.

The biggest issue I had with A Royal Affair was the fact that it was almost all telling, and very little showing. For instance, a climatic battle between rivaling nations would be over in a few minutes of reading since you don't necessarily experience it, so much as read the narrator's very brief summary of the events. Even intimacy between the main char
Sabrina
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

“Win or lose, I had the distinct feeling that playing with Aleksey was dangerous for my health.”

WELL I’M A SUCKER FOR GOOD, INTERESTING AND MEAN TO BE ROMANCE.

Literatures Movies
Mar 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf

Fucking hell.

I'm fucking salty as shit right now because I have read 10 books this past week and DNF-ed 6 of them. So please note that the review down below will be laced with a lot of profanities.

description

This book hold my attention for approximately two pages, then all is lost.

The prologue had me interested, but then going it chapter one, it started droning on and on and on and on about how this guy was such a good doctor and how he became a doctor and who his patients were and just... Who the fuck
Heather C
Here I am writing a review for a book that I never had any intentions of reviewing. So why am I jumbling together some words in the hopes of expressing how I feel? Because this book was freakin' AMAZING and people should know that I thought it was AMAZING!

I was looking to discover something new and found this book on a list. I thought after skimming the blurb: "hmm, this looks different" and "good, it's long and should keep me busy for at least a few days". HA! I finished it in one day and have
Elena

I already know I won’t do this book justice with my review, because unfortunately I’m one of those readers who can write essays on a book they hated and find themselves unable to string two coherent sentences together about one they loved.

I wrote a much longer review and in the end deleted it, because I think that knowing too much (or even a little) before reading this book would’ve tarnished my enjoyment of it somehow and I don’t want to do that for other readers. The blurb itself giv
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Re-read: 02.12.18
I don't know why I started re-reading this book. I was going through my ‘M/M read’ shelf in the hopes that I'd find anything interesting to re-read and I came across this one; I didn't remember what it fully was about. Though the more I read, the more I remembered. The thing is, the book is not bad; it centers around two men falling in love in a world where you'd be killed (horribly) for being a sodomite. There's a war, deaths, religion and royalty. However, it feels really
Tess
5 stars

Perhaps the finest historical romance in recent memory for me. There was war, strategy, intrigue, and political machinations in a reformation Europe, all without being predictable. The characters were multi-dimensional: there was the beautiful, blond Nikolai, a Popwani-trained medical-practitioner and there was the dark, green-eyed Aleksay, second-in-line to the throne of a fictional Northern Europe country, and, at 23, general of his country's military. Between them, there was instant at
Kade Boehme
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fabulous! I loved loved this. I even loved the different writing style. I loved the rarely used time period. I LOVED Aleksey. My only draw back was it was unfortunately too long. I never say that about books, more words is usually good. But when you skim and find some things tedious. Otherwise, perfect story. I loved every moment that wasn't making me skim.
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Four and One Half Blades on Prism Book Alliance

Nikolai Hartmann has a tale for us. As a doctor and someone who has spent time in many a location, he’s got a lot to tell, quite a tale to tell.

After a rough start, I was well and curious before leaving chapter two. I say rough because the tone in the beginning, the style, mixed with the first person telling of Niko by Niko, made me feel a bit detached from everything. Welp, that rough start didn’t last and I was officially baited.

Enter Alekse
Gina
ok its official, I am John Wiltshire fan!! like totally guys! I loved A Royal Affair!! I can't get enough of John's writing!!! fab!
Maggie Simms
I'm officially adding John Wiltshire to my favorite authors list.

Dear John, I love your writing.

Though I normally don't read historical (I know, it seems that many reviews for historical start this this disclaimer), I very much enjoyed reading Aleksey and Nikolai's tale. Both MC's are very compelling and likable. Their love story develops slowly and the sexual tension is amazing. Their moments together are so tender. I was so rooting for them.

When I started reading, I was immediately dr
M
This book is all over the place. Kind of an unfocused love story between a savage physician and a unregal prince. There's a messy, meandering plot and some unrealized characters. But I loved it. I've read lots of criticism that there's more tell than show, and maybe that's true - but it's a first-person account, so the narrative is never hampered by this. I'll admit that it's imperfect, but it's very entertaining. I think it's just my love of forbidden romances that allowed me to enjoy it so. Bu ...more
Tina

One more book for my top favorite shelf!

I became a big fan of John Wiltshire's masterful storytelling while reading his amazing More Heat than the Sun series. To kill time while waiting for the 5th installment I decided to read A Royal Affair. History and Fantasy are not always my cup of tea but hey, it’s a John Wiltshire... then nothing can go wrong right? :)

Even though A Royal Affair is a historical romance it's an entertaining action read as well. I liked the setting in old Europe (it’s somew
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★★
I had learned of this author from the past Christmas MLR freebie of Love is a Stranger Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1) by John Wiltshire which I loved and oddly enough both MC's in each book have the same first names so it was a little weird to read them close together since the characters are completely different.

I happened to see Ingela's review and since I'm a sucker for historical stories, I picked it up.

The historical setting was authentic, the sexual tension was delicious (view spoiler)
Didi
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Didi by: Theodora IK

Reading book not of my preference with high rating often had me wary.
Every so often I had different opi and experience with said phenomenon. This book was chosen as April book challenge for Indonesian MM Readers Group though so it's only fair I'd give it a try.

The story was the journal of Nikolai Hartmann. Not precisely a diary. But Niko's personal experience he took pain to wrote down; horrible and good things he encountered, his feeling and thoughts, as a way to share them to Alek
Em
I'm not sure what I was expecting with this book but after becoming a huge fan of John Wiltshire's recently after reading his More Heat Than the Sun series, I hoped it was going to be something special. I love historical fiction and this one didn't disappoint. I really enjoyed the story of Nikolai, a travelling physician and the very unconventional Prince Aleksey and I'm dying to find out where the story goes next!
Tia
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

If you liked the More Heat Than the Sun series, this book has the same great writing and the dynamic between the MCs in this book has parallels to Nick and Ben.

The story begins with Nicolai, a progressive, unorthodox physician for his time, traveling to the kingdom of Hesse-Davia to treat its very ill King (who Nicolai quickly deduces is being poisoned).

There he meets and falls under the spell of the beautiful, green-eyed prince Aleksey, who has a big heart and seems to find great joy
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews

4 Stellar Kingly stars.

What can I say? I am totally in love with this book.

The story reminded me a lot of Captive Prince. But. It is definitely not the same. The similarities are there is a Prince, except there is only 1 prince. The sarcasm. The banter. The flirting. The sexual tension.

Is it me or is it that most historical's that I've read have way more sexual tension than a modern day romance? I'm assuming that there would be because back then it was such a sin. But. Sexual tension is such a
Bev

I loved both characters, but I'm not getting over excited just yet. A slow burn romance, and I agree with Kade that it was a tad too long, but scene setting I can understand and I already have book 2 ready and waiting. 4 stars from me.
A.B. Gayle
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another Good Read from John Wiltshire. Worth checking out.
Caro
0 Stars

Because this doesn't deserve any better.

Let me start by saying that I thought I would like it, since everyone seems to have loved it. Or at least a vast majority. At the very least, I expected to be entertained by a maybe shallow storyline.

Instead, I was tempted to rage-quit this book a million times and I only soldiered on because I did a buddy read with Eva, who also hated the book.

"A Royal Affair" has the most droning, irritating narration that goes on for the nearly 300 pages this bo
Simon
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved it lots. The period style of writing was refreshingly appreciated...the lack of modern sexual references also appreciated.
Unlike the majority of readers Aleksey was not my favourite main character, his arrogance reminded me of someone non royal but close to me (myself) at the same age, rather I preferred the older, wiser savage that is Nikolai...
Why four stars and not five? I'm not actually sure why. I know I was a little frustrated during the middle section, I wanted more action and les
Leanne

A rich, sweeping epic tale that felt a bit like something by Robin Hobb- but without the fantasy elements. As Eve mentioned in her review, I too felt (view spoiler) but it really didn't spoil my overall enjoyment of the story.
And woot! a new author! Love John Wiltshire's writing and can't wait to dive into everything else he's written.
Elizabetta

Wonderful.

I have to admit that this was a little bumpy at the start. I’m not sure if it was because I’m very familiar with the writer’s work in another series, More Heat Than the Sun (Love is a Stranger), which had such a different feel to me, or whether was Nikolai’s first person narrative that I had to get used to, or whether it was the odd mix of historical/fantasy in a pseudo-European setting.

And yet, just a couple chapters in and I was hooked…

Our intrepid hero, Nikolai Hartmann,
Dee Wy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was epic!! Loved every minute of reading this book - my first by John Wiltshire and certainly not my last as book two is due out in April 2015. YES!

The characters stole the show in this story and my heart. Nikolai is our narrator. and his background is losing his parents as a young boy and being raised by Native Americans. With this upbringing, he's got skills: can ride a horse as fast as the wind, knows war tactics from going on raids and is currently practicing as a trained doctor in Lond
Issette
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. I cannot believe how well John Wiltshire has switched from the very contemporary tone of Love is a Stranger, and the other Nikolas and Ben books to this one. This is a wonderful historical novel, and it is really funny too. Nikolai narrates the story and he has absolutely no idea what his real feelings are. So busy being furious with Aleksey he doesn't realise he has fallen totally in love. The dialogue between them is a delight to read. The plot is fascinating. It was a bi ...more
Ari
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Indonesian MM Reader group book challenge - April!

Ehmm... I was contemplating between 3 or 4 stars, and after some thoughts Im settled with 3 stars. Mostly because I did not enjoy the writing. It's 250 pages long but felt way more than that. The narration was tiring and boring. The dynamic between Nikolai & Aleksey would be much more interesting if put into dialog instead of one side narration.

And when I first saw the cover and read the blurb, I was expecting a bit of Game-of-Throne-ish story, b
Ami
Apr 19, 2015 marked it as my-issues-not-yours
Recommended to Ami by: Theodora IK
April Challenge -- Indonesian M/M Reader Group

HUGE apology to my friends at Indonesian MM Readers group ... because I broke our rules of not DNF-ing. I will give myself a penalty for it.

This is me throughout the book...

It boils down to one thing: not my kind of book. Especially the writing style and I am a firm believer of writing chemistry (it's one of the most important thing for me when reading).

I can tell from the first 10% that it's not going to work, this book and I. And I have read enoug
Kandace
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What an amazing story. I loved these boys so hard. I can't wait to read the rest of their story. Aleksey and Niko are both so special. This is a historical M/M story. It honestly didn't feel like a historical novel. I loved the slow build of their friendship. I love how determined Aleskey is to break down Niko and eventually win his heart. Niko is the voice of the story. But I never doubted how Aleksey was feeling. There is a lot of mystery and intrigue surrounding the boys. I loved the int ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Wiltshire Fa...: BOOK DISCUSSION - A Royal Affair 21 65 Sep 23, 2015 10:48PM
Discussion threads in Fan Group 1 6 Mar 28, 2015 05:44PM
Dreamspinner Press: A Royal Affair by John Wiltshire 1 14 Sep 13, 2014 07:11AM

• Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • One Last Try
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • Evenfall (In the Company of Shadows, #1)
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • The Bones Beneath My Skin
  • That Alien Feeling (Calluvia's Royalty, #1)
  • Hood River Rat (Hood River Hoodlums, #1)
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1)
  • That Irresistible Poison (Calluvia's Royalty, #2)
  • Wicked Lies Boys Tell
  • The Silver Cage (The Silver Cage, #1)
John spent twenty-two years in the military, perfecting the art
of looking busy whilst secretly writing. He left as a senior officer
when his tunnel was ready for use. He is now living in New
Zealand until he can raise enough money to leave. Although he
has no plans to return to the army, he can occasionally be caught
polishing his medals.

A Royal Affair (2 books)
  • Aleksey's Kingdom (A Royal Affair, #2)

News & Interviews

“Everything I say is obeyed; everything I want is given to me. I have so much power that I think I will swell up and burst sometimes. You are the only one who reminds me of what I really am, the only one who will tell me when I am wrong. You are my king, Niko, and I need you. Please do this for me.” His” 2 likes
“I entered the courtyard and handed my reins to a man who assured me that Xavier would be taken care of as well as I. I had to suppress a smile at this and wished Xavier well in that endeavor. He had never, to my knowledge, expressed such preferences, but should he find a suitable young stallion, he was welcome to try.” 0 likes