Start by marking “Those Who Remain” as Want to Read:
Those Who Remain

Those Who Remain

(Those Who Remain #1)

Hide your children, lock your doors, and load your guns because zombies are real and they are coming. Danny Terrence knows this better than anyone. He spent months preparing for the inevitable moment the disease would reach his small town. What he didn’t prepare for is the fact that nobody really believes him.

Luckily for him, an old classmate and bully just happens to be
Published August 2014

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Remain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Remain

Heena Rathore P.
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves Apocalyptic Fiction
Note: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

"It took me hours to realise that crying wouldn't change anything. Shoes. I need new shoes."

I enjoyed this book from start to end. For me, this book is nothing short of a GREAT apocalyptic book!

The characterization is awesome and the alternating POVs kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time! I felt a strong connection with everyone, but my favorites are The Girl, Hunter's Daughter, and The Last One Out
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Finally finished this one. Only took er half a year to get back into. Overall I enjoyed it but I admit I wish I had kept with it back in March because I forgot a ton of plot between now and then. Actually, that might of been why it was so easy to finish this go round. Anyway, longer review to come. Right now I will say it was a rock solid 3 stars.
Sherri
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What better day for a zombie apocalypse novel than Valentine’s Day? After all, you know it’s true love when your sweetie beheads a shambling corpse to save your life. Still, as zombie movies and vampire books continue to invade everywhere, it truly seems like the undead have overrun our lives. It’s hard not to read the first page and think oh Christ, not another one.

“Those Who Remain” will change your mind. Told from a variety of views, rather like “World War Z,” we are given the end of the worl
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I was a bit on the fence about this book. On the one hand, I thought that it offered something a little different than some other zombie novels, so I liked that. The book is told from the perspective of five different characters – a girl whose father has been prepared for some sort of apocalypse for her whole life, a somewhat geeky guy who knows a lot about zombies because of TV shows, video games and online research,
S. Nash
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
I’ve read many “zompoc” novels this year, and most of them have the same basic plot. Zombies happen, people survive, they band together with others, kill a lot of zombies, find a safe spot, get overrun and get out, kill more zombies, move on.

Those Who Remain is different. We follow five main characters through the outbreak and immediate aftermath. Two of the characters, Danny and Lily, are prepared for it, but Laurie, Alistair, and Dr. Paz are not. The story follows each of the survivors, in the
Justine Winans
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm starting to think that the day in which I stop loving zombie novels will never actually come. Especially if zombie novels continue to be as wonderful of a read as Those Who Remain. There are so many things I loved about this novel, and highly recommend it, especially for those looking for a creepy read.

When multiple POVs work in a novel, it creates something really incredible. We are able to gain so much insight into the story, from different perspectives. Some novels can't even make two per
John
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a giveaway hosted by the Apocalypse Whenever group on Goodreads.

I found this book to be pretty enjoyable and I'm really interested to see how the story continues in book 2. I thought that the changing perspective was good and I liked the diverse cast of survivors. It made things a lot more interesting when you could see something happen through one character's eyes and then actually see the events leading up to that. There was a good deal of tension which made this story
Vicki Jowers
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok book

This is a ok book if you are looking for a zombie book with not much gore and action this is it.
Bit'N Book Tours
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Girl, the Doctor, the Geek, the Hunter's Daughter and the Last One Out - these are the main characters of Those Who Remain after the infection begins.

Opening with The Girl in the Wardrobe, we get a feel for what we, as readers, can expect from the book moving forward - and it feels good! There's terror, looting, gore and shattering bones with golf clubs - bloody brilliant! (Pun absolutely intended), and that's just in the first few pages.

The Hunter's Daughter is Lily Hunter, daughter of an A
Peter Ravlich
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the introduction to World War Z, Max Brooks writes: "By excluding the human factor, aren't we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it?" ... "isn't the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as 'the living dead'?"

While I liked the premise of that popular work, I found that exact element - the human factor - a little shallow, a little detached, and falling far short of the hype it had gen
chucklesthescot
Mar 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book's 'hero' is Danny, self confessed geek and zombie fanatic. He has longed for the day of the zombie apocalypse because he has read all the books and seen the films and knows everything. He is happy when the zombies come because now HE is going to be the big hero who saves the town with his big plan!

Jeez, this guy was annoying as hell. He thinks it's time the town had some long overdue respect for him because he is The Big I Am. Gag. He is actually an annoying, self obsessed little rode
Book Junky Girls
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Zombies are real and they are coming! Are you the computer expert/gamer who saw it happening months before anyone else? The crazy survivalist who no one believed? What if you're just a young girl barely 13 years old? What would her chances of survival really be?

These and other character POV's make up this novel and you get see how some might survive in a world gone crazy. Who are you the most like? Who would you sympathize with? Who would you trust?

As each character begin their journey in a new
Shelley
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dystopian/zombie fans
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
This book was great! It has all the elements of what I think makes a fantastic read. For me, I had no problem reading the multiple points of view. There is some jumping back and forth due to the periods where characters interact with each other, but this really caused no issues in reading and understanding the story. I think the author did an awesome job developing the individual characters, molding the interactions of multiple cause an
Jenna Howland
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book from the author here on goodreads and was very excited to start it. I really liked the design of the book - the way each character has a title and that is how the chapters are set up. I did struggle a bit with the dates, since they aren't sequential order, but got over it pretty quick. Three changing of the voices was more important than the dates and it all pieced together in the end. I also enjoyed how they all had a bit of a connection.
Those Who Remain is a fairly typical zomb
Brenda Mcallister
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was a gift from the author. Thank you.
I liked this book although it jumped around a lot. The story is told from half a dozen different POV's. A lot of characters and a lot of action kept it interesting.
This book starts after the virus which creates the zombies has already spread thru Africa and Europe. The news is being blacked out in America as cities are perishing, first from zombies, then from bombings by U.S. forces. Vague mention is made of commanders retreating to a safe place u
Melissa
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Well, overall I liked it. There are a LOT of characters to keep track of and the overlap can be a tad confusing, but overall the characters are defined enough (some stereotypicaly) that you know who is who.

The fight scenes aren't anything to write home about. But I hope that the gore will get more intense as we progress. There are a couple memorable scenes, don't get me wrong, but many of the battle scenes blur together.

However, the story has now established itself and I'm sure the sequel will
Jamie Eastman
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Was okay

It didn't suck, I've read better, but it didn't suck, some of the characters aren't very likeable, and I mean main characters not just the bad guys either, to be honest a couple of the main characters I hoped to have their faces eaten off so yes, unlikeable, but over all I've read worse.
Lori Franklin Hopkins
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised with this book! I just dove right in and did not let up until I finished. It was that good! Plenty of action, zombies, baddies and of course a hint at a romance is there too! But nothing that should bother the male species, for this is a great read!
Sharon Webster
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Readable

This is not a bad zombie book. There wasn't a whole lot of action so, the author must of developed the characters or peaked my interest somehow because, going to read the next installment.
Rhonda Mcguire
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: those-who-remain
I really enjoyed this first book in the Those Who Remain series. I like how each chapter was from a different characters POV and how they overlapped. Lots of action with some great sarcasm thrown in.
Brian Thompson
Oct 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Too much profanity!

Another author under the illusion that a story can't be good without vulgar and profane language. Ruined what might have otherwise been a good story.
Gail
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good

Not a lot of action, but a lot of interpersonal action between people. The story was interesting and the people were real.
Sheryl
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Finally, another decent Zombie book! Not award winning but good.
bonnie carter
Mar 17, 2015
Tanya
Feb 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dead: Revelations (Dead, #2)
  • The Swiss Family RobinZOM Book 1
  • After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • The Scavengers (After The Apocalypse, #1)
  • Machines of the Dead
  • Year One (Living with the Dead #1-2)
  • Break Free the Night (Break Free #1)
  • Ward Z
  • Slow Burn
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • This Plague of Days (Season 2)
  • Wake The Dead
  • Only The Dead Live Forever (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #3)
  • Extinction Level (Secret Apocalypse Book 2)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Swarm
  • Clan
  • The Dying of the Light: End (The Dying of the Light, #1)

Those Who Remain (3 books)
  • Those Who Remain #2