Jump to ratings and reviews

Those Who Remain #1

Those Who Remain

Hide your children, lock your doors, and load your guns because zombies are real and they are coming. Danny Terrence knows this better than anyone. He spent months preparing for the inevitable moment the disease would reach his small town. What he didn’t prepare for is the fact that nobody really believes him.

Luckily for him, an old classmate and bully just happens to be the first one bitten. The bad news is that the family with the biggest arsenal of guns just packed up and left town, leaving them defenseless from an oncoming zombie horde. Being a leader isn’t turning out the way Danny imagined.

Yet four other survivors easily have it worse than him. Between a thirteen-year-old girl on a road trip from hell, a family of paranoid hunters having to deal with their feelings for the first time ever, a stubborn doctor butting heads with a cold-hearted sergeant and an amoral British professor carrying the fate of humanity in his hands, Danny has it easy. Unless, of course, they all end up in his town, messing with his already messed up life.

Follow these five people as their paths cross and their lives and hopes are challenged in this thrilling novel. Those Who Remain: Book One is part of a trilogy.

232 pages, Kindle Edition

7 books11 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (5%)
1 star
4 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews
Profile Image for Heena Rathore Pardeshi.
Author 1 book250 followers
May 8, 2016
Note: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

"It took me hours to realise that crying wouldn't change anything. Shoes. I need new shoes."

I enjoyed this book from start to end. For me, this book is nothing short of a GREAT apocalyptic book!

The characterization is awesome and the alternating POVs kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time! I felt a strong connection with everyone, but my favorites are The Girl, Hunter's Daughter, and The Last One Out.

"A crazy disease spreading, riots going on, people running away, the military taking control over everything and I can't load my rifle. PTSD is a bitch."

The writing is excellent and I literally breezed through the entire book in a single day! I loved it and have already requested (and received) the remaining two parts of this trilogy [can't wait to read them!] The suspense build-up, the mysterious undertones, the chills and the curiosity, everything that the characters felt, came out beautifully.

I never felt that I was reading a book, I felt like I was in there with each and every character experiencing everything they did, first-hand.

"Between doctors, nurses, staff and patients, Saint Jude Hospital housed almost ten thousand people. Three hundred soldiers were sent to keep them safe. Only five people were leaving alive."

The pacing is excellent and the twists and turns and the interludes at the end of the book were simply a master stroke.

I loved the Zombies as well, and the disease's spread felt really natural and practical.
I'm really, really excited to know what happens next as the author ended all the POV's on a great note. It's literally killing me to read other books before getting to the next parts - This book is so good!

You can also read this review at The Reading Bud.
Profile Image for Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books).
370 reviews165 followers
December 7, 2015
Finally finished this one. Only took er half a year to get back into. Overall I enjoyed it but I admit I wish I had kept with it back in March because I forgot a ton of plot between now and then. Actually, that might of been why it was so easy to finish this go round. Anyway, longer review to come. Right now I will say it was a rock solid 3 stars.
Profile Image for Sherri.
172 reviews6 followers
February 15, 2015
What better day for a zombie apocalypse novel than Valentine’s Day? After all, you know it’s true love when your sweetie beheads a shambling corpse to save your life. Still, as zombie movies and vampire books continue to invade everywhere, it truly seems like the undead have overrun our lives. It’s hard not to read the first page and think oh Christ, not another one.

“Those Who Remain” will change your mind. Told from a variety of views, rather like “World War Z,” we are given the end of the world from five points of view. While the plot is not rapid, each narration gradually comes together, with the action centered around a small town called Redwood. As each narrator continues to his/her destination, we are introduced to “The Girl,” “The Doctor,” “The Hunter’s Daughter,” “The Geek” and my personal favorite “The Man with the Briefcase.”

Priscila Santa Rosa makes each of her characters individual and important. Each narrator is given their own voice, objectives and issues. Often it is difficult for authors to make even one character sound like a real, three-dimensional person, much less five separate narrators. While the background is not painted as distinctly, anyone who has read even a single zombie novel or seen a single “day after” movie will easily be able to fill in the gaps in the details given.

I am loathe to give spoilers in these reviews, but here I feel the need to give just the teensiest hint of what is too come. In the new, apocalyptic world, Redwood stands as one of the last safe zones. However, with everything else overrun, the inhabitants can do little but watch the undead army move towards them and plan their last days. Think if “On the Beach” had zombies instead of radiation.

As with my last reviewed novel, what is yet-to-come still remains a mystery. Once again, I failed to realize until too late that this was a multi-part series. Luckily for many of you, book two is already out. Unluckily for me, it is only available on Kindle, leaving us Nook users hanging. I can only hope in the future it becomes available to the public on a wider scale. Perhaps someday Ms. Rosa will even see fit to find the perfect artist and grace us with “Those Who Remain” in the format of the great graphic novel it could be.

If you enjoyed this review, please check out my reviews on bsidebookreviews.wordpress.com. I review independently published books, so you are sure to find something new!
Profile Image for Nicole M. Hewitt.
1,389 reviews284 followers
Read
August 14, 2019
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I was a bit on the fence about this book. On the one hand, I thought that it offered something a little different than some other zombie novels, so I liked that. The book is told from the perspective of five different characters – a girl whose father has been prepared for some sort of apocalypse for her whole life, a somewhat geeky guy who knows a lot about zombies because of TV shows, video games and online research, a thirteen year old girl who just wants to survive, a doctor who hopes to find a cure and a professor who may have a cure. I found that these different perspectives were interesting, but the book does sometimes get confusing because their stories aren’t always told in chronological order (you have to pay rapt attention to the date and time that’s given at the beginning of each chapter or you’ll get lost).

As far as the characters went, I thought I was going to like Danny a lot, but he started to grate on my nerves after a while. My favorite was definitely Lily, the girl who’d grown up preparing for catastrophe – and there were hints of romance in her storyline that drew me in as well. The doctor’s story also got much more interesting as the book went on, and I’m intrigued to see where that might go in the next book (her character wasn’t developed super well at first, though – I was actually shocked to realize she was a woman a few chapters in – information that would have been nice right away). Then there was the mysterious professor – it’s a bit hard to tell if he’s a good guy or not in this story – we shall see!

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, though I felt like there were some plot points and character issues that could have been cleaned up a bit. I give the book 3/5 Stars.

***Disclosure: This book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***
Profile Image for S. Nash.
Author 6 books19 followers
October 2, 2014
I’ve read many “zompoc” novels this year, and most of them have the same basic plot. Zombies happen, people survive, they band together with others, kill a lot of zombies, find a safe spot, get overrun and get out, kill more zombies, move on.

Those Who Remain is different. We follow five main characters through the outbreak and immediate aftermath. Two of the characters, Danny and Lily, are prepared for it, but Laurie, Alistair, and Dr. Paz are not. The story follows each of the survivors, in their own voice, chapter by chapter, as they try to stay alive. On one hand, I liked this approach because in some cases, the characters’ paths cross and we can experience the same situation through different eyes. On the other, telling a story in first-person has a drawback. With the exception of Danny and Laurie, none of the other characters are named in their first chapters. When another character referenced "Lily" I had no idea it was "The Hunter's Daughter." I also didn’t know “Doc” was a woman until another character said, “Let her do it.” That was a surprise to me.

I was happy to see that the women in this novel weren’t damsels in distress. Lily, Laurie and Dr. Paz stand on their own. They are human, they make mistakes, have their own goals, focus, strengths and weaknesses. I didn’t realize Dr. Paz was a woman until several chapters in, and that tells me a lot about the character. It didn’t change my opinion of her in the slightest. Dr. Paz is concerned with saving lives, and running up against the stone wall of the military didn’t seem to slow her down.

Although the synopsis makes it seem that the main character is Danny, that’s not the case at all. All five story lines are given equal weight in the novel, and there is no single plot to follow. Instead, we have multiple threads, some overlapping, and you’ll spend your time hoping that they all come together. The synopsis also promised humor, but I didn't find anything that made me laugh.

The biggest problem I had with Those Who Remain is that the novel didn't come to a satisfying conclusion. It ended about a quarter mile away from the cliffhanger I was expecting. There is a clear threat on the horizon, something bad is certain to happen and people are in danger. But instead of ending on that note, I read through two more chapters that had some character development, but didn’t fully support the looming sense of dread. In my opinion, fixing that is just a matter of rearranging chapters.

I recommend this book to fans of the zombie apocalypse. There are many good things to like: The characters are the main focus, not all conspiracy theorists are wrong, plans don’t always work out the way you like, there’s going to be a body count, and zombies are going to get you.

Are you prepared?

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Originally published at www.bookie-monster.com
Profile Image for J. Nicole.
171 reviews16 followers
October 23, 2014
I'm starting to think that the day in which I stop loving zombie novels will never actually come. Especially if zombie novels continue to be as wonderful of a read as Those Who Remain. There are so many things I loved about this novel, and highly recommend it, especially for those looking for a creepy read.

When multiple POVs work in a novel, it creates something really incredible. We are able to gain so much insight into the story, from different perspectives. Some novels can't even make two perspectives work, yet Priscila Santa Rosa was able to master five. The characters are all unique enough, with voices true to their personality, that it makes for brilliant transitions. I was never confused as to who was talking or what scene I was reading. All of the characters in the novel have equal weight in the story. It's not often that books have an all-star cast. Through these character's narratives, we are able to get different realistic reactions to something as insane as a zombie outbreak. Some of them are prepared to handle it, while some have to make a very quick transition.

The character work really is spectacular. Not only is there a strong female lead. There's three of them. Plus, they are strong in a way that's realistic and true to their characters. I absolutely loved how realistic the actions and dialogue were. It makes these personalities seem like real people, instead of words on a page. I really enjoyed how intertwined all of the stories were, in some cases, even from the very beginning. To me, that's some of the most realistic writing, as it's very true to life. There are so many different paths we cross, not even realizing how important it will become. The characters really make the novel.

However, that doesn't stop it from having all the action and gore necessary for a zombie novel to really be enjoyable. There's plenty of it. And it's wonderful. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the ending, but it is enough of a cliffhanger to get me excited for the second book. Fans of zombie apocalypses should not be disappointed.
Profile Image for Orion.
21 reviews11 followers
July 24, 2015
I received this book in a giveaway hosted by the Apocalypse Whenever group on Goodreads.

I found this book to be pretty enjoyable and I'm really interested to see how the story continues in book 2. I thought that the changing perspective was good and I liked the diverse cast of survivors. It made things a lot more interesting when you could see something happen through one character's eyes and then actually see the events leading up to that. There was a good deal of tension which made this story captivating. I can't wait until I get a chance to read the next one.
Profile Image for Vicki Jowers.
69 reviews
April 16, 2018
Ok book

This is a ok book if you are looking for a zombie book with not much gore and action this is it.
Profile Image for Bit'N Book Tours.
60 reviews40 followers
September 24, 2014
The Girl, the Doctor, the Geek, the Hunter's Daughter and the Last One Out - these are the main characters of Those Who Remain after the infection begins.

Opening with The Girl in the Wardrobe, we get a feel for what we, as readers, can expect from the book moving forward - and it feels good! There's terror, looting, gore and shattering bones with golf clubs - bloody brilliant! (Pun absolutely intended), and that's just in the first few pages.

The Hunter's Daughter is Lily Hunter, daughter of an Army Vet with PTSD that manifests in him preparing for, well, the end of the world. A nuclear winter, an alien invasion, you name it, he's prepped for it. Consequently, he's trained Lily in the art of being as tough as nails - this girl hunts, shoots, and knows how to survive.

The Last One Out is a bit of an enigma. Firmly attached to his briefcase (contents unknown), he's a sly fox, and has no qualms about pitching others under the zombie bus in order to save himself and his cargo. Oh and he's British, so tradition dictates that he's going to be a baddie.

We encounter The Doctor barricaded inside a hospital room, with members of the military, frantically trying to save an infected soldier, while thinking about all the horrors they've seen since the beginning of the outbreak.

Finally, we have Danny. The Geek. The man with the zombie plan. The one person with his finger on the apocalyptic pulse. He knows how to keep his small town safe, but will the residents ever agree to take advice from a man who spends all his time playing video games?

Those Who Remain follows each character, and how they are dealing, in their own way, with the living dead.

One thing I love about this book is the character development. You meet each character in the here and now, and as their story continues, we learn who they are, the events which led them to the point which we 'met' them, and how they change as their journey through the post-zombie apocalypse world moulds them into something new.

Storylines interweave and collide before breaking apart once more to embark upon a new trail, but the common denominator is a shared enemy, and it's not the zombies.

In the book's theme of starting in the present and moving backwards, we're left on a giant cliffhanger, which I'm sure other characters will fill in in the next book.

3.5 out of 5 :)

Reviewed for Bit'N Book Promoters web | facebook | twitter
Profile Image for Peter Ravlich.
Author 6 books1 follower
October 22, 2014
In the introduction to World War Z, Max Brooks writes: "By excluding the human factor, aren't we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it?" ... "isn't the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as 'the living dead'?"

While I liked the premise of that popular work, I found that exact element - the human factor - a little shallow, a little detached, and falling far short of the hype it had generated.

Those Who Remain captures much that I found lacking in World War Z, and deserves a wider audience. The characters are well realised and diverse (small caveat: within the conventions of a YA novel), their journeys speaking to many facets of human experience, and the interwoven narrative arcs are well structured and enjoyable.

Cursed with some experience as a proof-reader, I did notice a few typos spread throughout the story, but these would be easily corrected in future versions, and none were bad enough to really break the immersion of the work.

It's always tough to decide where to conclude the first part of a series, but I felt a little bit cheated by

That said, this is the first book in a series, and the release of the second book should address this criticism. I look forward to seeing where the series is taken next.
Profile Image for chucklesthescot.
2,904 reviews118 followers
May 13, 2017
This book's 'hero' is Danny, self confessed geek and zombie fanatic. He has longed for the day of the zombie apocalypse because he has read all the books and seen the films and knows everything. He is happy when the zombies come because now HE is going to be the big hero who saves the town with his big plan!

Jeez, this guy was annoying as hell. He thinks it's time the town had some long overdue respect for him because he is The Big I Am. Gag. He is actually an annoying, self obsessed little rodent that everyone thinks is an idiot. So with him in charge, 90% of the town leaves overnight! I think that just says it all...But he's not the only character I difn't like. A team of soldiers are sent into a hospital to rescue an important doctor before she becomes zombie chow, and all she does is bitch and complain about leaving her infected patients behind. They are infected and already lost you stupid bitch! They will become zombies so you can't take them with you dumbass! Grrr! Then there is the obnoxious Professor...yes, too many people yet again in a zombie book that you don't care about. It's an obsession amongst authors right now to make their characters as unpleasant as possible and it is causing me to DNF a lot of books.

Not impressed with this book. I was rooting for the zombies.
Profile Image for Book Junky Girls.
840 reviews34 followers
October 19, 2015
Zombies are real and they are coming! Are you the computer expert/gamer who saw it happening months before anyone else? The crazy survivalist who no one believed? What if you're just a young girl barely 13 years old? What would her chances of survival really be?

These and other character POV's make up this novel and you get see how some might survive in a world gone crazy. Who are you the most like? Who would you sympathize with? Who would you trust?

As each character begin their journey in a new world we see their choice play out as they try to stay alive, occasionally their stories overlap, but mostly you get a glimpse of where they are going.

In the beginning you get confused by all the different characters, but as the story continues you see how everything has a purpose and how it all connects. And although it is also not told in chronological order that too has a purpose and keeps you guessing as to what will happen next!

This is part one of a trilogy so yes there is a bit of a cliffhanger. Excited to see where the story goes next and unravel a few of the mysteries that keep you hanging!
Profile Image for Stalking.
291 reviews7 followers
January 2, 2016
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
This book was great! It has all the elements of what I think makes a fantastic read. For me, I had no problem reading the multiple points of view. There is some jumping back and forth due to the periods where characters interact with each other, but this really caused no issues in reading and understanding the story. I think the author did an awesome job developing the individual characters, molding the interactions of multiple cause and affect situations, keeping the story moving without pulling me out of it. This is the first in a series and if you want to know how it ends you will have to read the entire trilogy. I highly recommend this to all dystopian/zombie novel lovers!

***Review has been done in conjunction with Nerd Girl Official. For more information regarding our reviews please visit our Fansite: www.facebook.com/NerdGirl.ng ***
Profile Image for Jenna.
148 reviews5 followers
January 11, 2015
I won this book from the author here on goodreads and was very excited to start it. I really liked the design of the book - the way each character has a title and that is how the chapters are set up. I did struggle a bit with the dates, since they aren't sequential order, but got over it pretty quick. Three changing of the voices was more important than the dates and it all pieced together in the end. I also enjoyed how they all had a bit of a connection.
Those Who Remain is a fairly typical zombie story, but because of the style and design of the book it kept it interesting. I also really liked the government piece that plays out in the Geek and the Doctor chapters - definitely a good angle.
Overall, satisfying and fun to read. Could end here as a stand alone, but I'm interested in reading further in the series to see how it all plays out.
March 8, 2016
This book was a gift from the author. Thank you.
I liked this book although it jumped around a lot. The story is told from half a dozen different POV's. A lot of characters and a lot of action kept it interesting.
This book starts after the virus which creates the zombies has already spread thru Africa and Europe. The news is being blacked out in America as cities are perishing, first from zombies, then from bombings by U.S. forces. Vague mention is made of commanders retreating to a safe place until the worst was over. Problem is, these zombies go into stasis when no food is available then revive when sound or sight awaken them.
There is no ending or resolution to any of the tales that make up the book-just hanging there waiting to continue in the next instalment. I look forward to the stories coming together.
Could use a little more editing but was an interesting read.
Profile Image for Melissa.
723 reviews14 followers
December 24, 2015
Well, overall I liked it. There are a LOT of characters to keep track of and the overlap can be a tad confusing, but overall the characters are defined enough (some stereotypicaly) that you know who is who.

The fight scenes aren't anything to write home about. But I hope that the gore will get more intense as we progress. There are a couple memorable scenes, don't get me wrong, but many of the battle scenes blur together.

However, the story has now established itself and I'm sure the sequel will be stronger due to having most of the setup done. We are gearing up for a dramatic siege I'm sure.

Worth a couple bucks I think.
160 reviews
October 28, 2014
Was okay

It didn't suck, I've read better, but it didn't suck, some of the characters aren't very likeable, and I mean main characters not just the bad guys either, to be honest a couple of the main characters I hoped to have their faces eaten off so yes, unlikeable, but over all I've read worse.
Profile Image for Lori Franklin Hopkins.
236 reviews29 followers
September 10, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised with this book! I just dove right in and did not let up until I finished. It was that good! Plenty of action, zombies, baddies and of course a hint at a romance is there too! But nothing that should bother the male species, for this is a great read!
50 reviews
December 29, 2014
Readable

This is not a bad zombie book. There wasn't a whole lot of action so, the author must of developed the characters or peaked my interest somehow because, going to read the next installment.
Profile Image for Rhonda Mcguire.
47 reviews4 followers
March 18, 2015
I really enjoyed this first book in the Those Who Remain series. I like how each chapter was from a different characters POV and how they overlapped. Lots of action with some great sarcasm thrown in.
October 24, 2014
Too much profanity!

Another author under the illusion that a story can't be good without vulgar and profane language. Ruined what might have otherwise been a good story.
2,410 reviews9 followers
July 8, 2015
Good

Not a lot of action, but a lot of interpersonal action between people. The story was interesting and the people were real.
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.