Start by marking “The Clockwork Crown (Clockwork Dagger, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Crown (Clockwork Dagger, #2)

The Clockwork Crown

(Clockwork Dagger #2)

Rich in atmosphere, imagination, and fun, the action-packed, magic-filled sequel to The Clockwork Dagger is an enchanting steampunk fantasy, evocative of the works of Trudi Canavan and Gail Carriger

Narrowly surviving assassination and capture, Octavia Leander, a powerful magical healer, is on the run with handsome Alonzo Garrett, the Clockwork Dagger who forfei
Published June 9th 2015 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clockwork Crown

Orient
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While The Clockwork Dagger introduced a close picture of all the basic characters — Octavia, Alonzo and the mysterious Ms. Stout, the Clockwork Crown shows the well-built world. Readers can get to know the distrustful people in the South, also the collapsing Mercia. The opponents in the war with good or bad motives are darkened. The steampunk plays a great role in this book. A perfect dessert for a good evening with a cup of coffee. Enjoy ;)))))))))
Eilonwy
Wow! This book was awesome. I'm not sure how much I can say about it without spoilers since it's the second book in this duology. The first book was pretty good, but the author really hit her stride with this installment. The story moved quickly, the writing was excellent, and the plot went all kinds of unusual and unpredictable directions, so I was finding surprises on nearly every page. I was completely absorbed in Octavia's journey, as this book balances emotional investment and action perfec ...more
Marlene
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

In Genesis, there is a famous quote that states, “So God created mankind in his own image…” While many of us might quibble about God as male, and whether mankind is the proper inclusive term for all humans, the essence, either way, is the same.

There is also a competing quote, often mangled, but I’ll use the version from Ludwig Feuerbach, “It is not as in the Bible, that God created man in his own image. But, on the contrary, man created God in
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Harper Voyager) via (Edelweiss) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Steampunk, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

The Clockwork Crown closes out the duology known as The Clockwork Dagger. Medician Octavia Leander has survived a betrayal of a personal kind, an assassination attempt by the Queen of Caskentia's Clockwork Daggers, and a kidnap
Talk Supe
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Brief reasons why I loved this:

1. It's a duology.
2. Slow burning & believable romance.
3. Steampunk/Epic Fantasy
4. The Tree was awesome!
5. MC's who aren't trying to be heroes
6. Conflict is about Octavia & her fate & not some political issue
Hilary
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
Not quite as enjoyable as The Clockwork Dagger - there were too many quick fixes along the lines of "oh no, a perilous situation... never mind, a solution presented itself three pages later" - but plenty of ethical searching and warnings to consider, and it was still an interesting read.
Karissa
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the second book in the Clockwork Dagger duology and did an excellent job of wrapping up this series. This was an amazing blend of alternate history, steampunk, and magic. I loved the characters and the world-building. The book was perfectly paced and the writing style flowed well and was easy to read.

Octavia Leander and Alonzo Garrett are on a quest to find out why Octavia is so powerful and changing in such strange ways. Aloza gave up his career as a Clockwork Dagger when he
Beth
Utterly colorful, vivid and imaginative, The Clockwork Crown is a steampunk fantasy unlike any other.

The best I can describe The Clockwork Crown is a mix of steampunk, magic and religion. You have the religious zeal of Octavia, the magical healer, who is surrounded by a world of mechanics and political machinations.

There is also a slow and lightly touched romance between Alonzo, the assassin and Octavia, the healer.

As the second book in this duology, The Clockwork Crown does bring the tale to an expected conclusion.

I am a huge steampunk f
Michelle Hauck
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A very strong sequel which continues where it left off with fantastic characters and ends with a satisfying conclusion.
Tina Bartz
Wow! Definitely a roller-coaster of emotions. I cried, I gasped...this book was wonderful. It was a fast-paced, action-packed ride. It made a lot of great points with regard to love, faith, political biases, and prejudices (cultural, ethnic, national, etc.), but primarily through observation and example, not preaching or knocking you on the head with it.
Mandy
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Well…magic trees. Lots of magic trees. Oozing magic trees. Good news is that the series is complete at two books. Yay! Duology!

This one was slightly better than the first book. The first is more character driven and this one is more plot driven. That’s good because the cartoony characters were the problem with the first book. The plot really picks up towards the second half.

It’s still strongly fantasy, but I think the author figured out that more steampunk was needed. So, there’s one new steam
Samantha
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Octavia Leander can't seem to escape from the many people who seek to capture or use her. Her and the now ex-Clockwork Dagger, Alonzo, face new and old enemies as they journey to find the Lady's Tree that might be the answer to all their questions, especially as to why Octavia's power seems to grow even more." Full review at Fresh Fiction: http://freshfiction.com/review.php?id...
Jaime Moyer
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This was a light, fast and fun read. Cato continues the story she started in Clockwork Dagger, but tosses in lots of new characters and complications. The closer I got the end the more I need to know what would happen to Octavia.

Sequels are hard, but she nailed the ending.
Rachel
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the CLOCKWORK DAGGER series, CLOCKWORK CROWN is just as engaging as its predecessor but moves at an even faster pace. Adventure, mystery, and a fantastical journey meld into a very enjoyable tale. Also: Even more Gremlins than book one!
Elisa
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
That was awesome. I love that it is a duology. I love the MC, I love the gremlins and the tree and all it represents and the rollicking good time. Great characters, interesting world, satisfying conclusion and a sweet, slow-burn romance. I also love stories about healers, so there is that too. :)
Michelle
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unputdownable! I was hoping for more comeuppance for one particularly bratty character, and I feel like there's potential for more story regarding the country's monarchy, but a duology rather than a trilogy is a unique change of pace!
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A two book series which is unusual. It was an exciting story with great characters. There is a very satisfying ending.
Ollivier
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book and sequel, I didn't expect the end to be really different but the path is as important as the destination if not not more. Great job, loved it
Bethany
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a bit wary when starting this as I've often come across a series where I've loved the first book and the second book didn't meet my expectations. So I wasn't sure if I would like this one since it's a sequel. However I am pleased to say I enjoyed this one just as much as the first one. (view spoiler) Octavia is still a strong character able to operate autonomously from Alonzo her love interest ...more
Heather
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
So, something about this series never quite jelled for me, and I don't know exactly why. It may just be the time of year: the stress of the holidays, the other books I have waiting to be read. Maybe if I had read this some other time I would have loved it. I can't say, really. But while The Clockwork Crown was...ok...it just didn't *work* for me.

I also think there's a bit of a packaging + marketing dissonance problem. Octavia is a somewhat prim, somewhat naive, mostly innocent character and tha
Diane
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good: 4+/5. Exciting, emotional, original... In short, recommended!

At least as good as the first. Some terrible things happen, and some sad or bittersweet, but all the painful necessities, amazing discoveries and breath-stealing dangers lead to a highly satisfying ending. I really like both Octavia and Alonzo, and Leaf, and Mrs. Stout. We get to see some new places (the advanced and prosperous southern nations' attitude toward magic is frustrating, and the Tree is fascinating **no spoilers
Dark Faerie Tales
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A fast paced and exciting last half of the book ultimately makes up for a very slow start in this conclusion to the Clockwork Dagger duology.

Opening Sentence: As she rode through the snowy wilderness of far southern Caskentia, Octavia Leander’s spirits were buoyed by three thoughts: that although she fled from assassination and capture, she was undoubtedly in one of the most beautiful places she had ever seen; that th
Nikki Broadwell
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book and the first of the series, clockwork DAgger, were unusual reads with a very unique plot--the writing is good and the storyline keeps the reader engaged all the way to the end.

I don't normally read steampunk, but this one is more about the characters than the intricacies of the gadgets, although the mechanics of the creatures I did find interesting. The main thing for me was the spiritual aspect of the plot. The main character is a medician, a healer who is connected to a tree and th
Isis
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A solid conclusion to this "duology", though really it could have been published as a single book. Octavia and Alonzo flee to Tamarania; instead of airships and buzzers, we have mecha battles, but really, under the steampunk trappings it's a solid fantasy story about the politics of this invented world, and the real power behind its mythology and religion. The romance is still the weakest part, but the plot is inventive and interesting, the worldbuilding fascinating, and Cato sticks the ending.
Jenny
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: steampunk, fantasy, magic
Charlene Runge
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another action packed thrilling read by Beth Cato. I liked that she wrapped the story line up in two books instead of dragging it out into the typical trilogy. Mind you, I almost wanted the ending to be sad and poignant and atypical, but it did have a typical happy ending, which was still enjoyable with just a hint of a twist that was unexpected. I liked that she kept the story clean and wholesome, that she incorporated much of the same characters from the first book, and that included a lot of ...more
Mrklingon
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, sf, steampunk
And, WOW again! Very enjoyable sequel to the Clockwork Dagger.

Cato does a great job through books creating a tapestry of a fantasy/steampunk adventure. The action continues and, as in the first book, the twists and turns are both surprising and satisfying. As noted, I hope she returns to this world again - it's a remarkable creation. The blend of SF and fantasy themes is really nicely crafted and enjoyable.
Vickey Foggin
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adventure, intrigue, increasing magic, world exploration and a great cast of characters...this two-book series has been a really fun read. Octavia’s powers are increasing and she’s finding more about the waste and the war and the ways the lady can interact with the world. I liked the story a lot but found the throwback reminders of what happened in book 1 a bit annoying - I’d advise waiting a while between reading books one and two.
BRT
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
An excellent conclusion to this two book series. The action slows down a bit in this book. Octavia and Alonzo still encounter plenty of action in their escape from everyone trying to use or kill them but at least they have a moment or two to catch their breath. This is good for Octavia because she's changing in not so subtle ways, is beginning to think she knows why, and is horrified at the implication.
ambyr
Stuck the landing nicely, playing out all the metaphysical hints and implications from the previous book. There were some genuinely chilling moments verging on horror, which I was not expecting (but enjoyed). The romance remains lackluster, but I appreciated that at least it wasn't bogged down in angst or triangulation. I would certainly read more of Cato's books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 27, 2015 11:03AM

• The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • Frail Human Heart (The Name of the Blade, #3)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • Working God's Mischief (Instrumentalities of the Night, #4)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • Siren Sisters
  • The Time Roads
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • The Ripper Affair (Bannon & Clare, #3)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • The Kappa Child
  • The Woken Gods
  • The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee
  • Masquerade (Micah Grey, #3)
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • The Conquering Dark (Crown & Key, #3)
Beth Cato hails from Hanford, California, but currently writes and bakes cookies in a lair west of Phoenix, Arizona. She shares the household with a hockey-loving husband, a numbers-obsessed son, and a cat the size of a canned ham.

She's the author of THE CLOCKWORK DAGGER (a 2015 Locus Award finalist for First Novel) and THE CLOCKWORK CROWN (an RT Reviewers' Choice Finalist) from Harper

Clockwork Dagger (2 books)
  • The Clockwork Dagger (Clockwork Dagger, #1)
“Holiness may be found by being in the mere presence of books, without evening parting the pages.” 0 likes
“He stopped moving among the shelves. She stopped as well and scanned the books around her. 'Such a glorious perfume, these old books.” 0 likes