Start by marking “Postcards from Asgard” as Want to Read:
Postcards from Asgard

Postcards from Asgard

Magic goats are a lot more trouble than they're worth.

Ordinarily, Gwen likes goats, even makes her living by milking them, but these two are some kind of devil-spawn, and one of them is pawing the ground, horns aimed at her guts. The fact that they were followed by a blonde farmhand with a much too charming smile isn’t all that much of an improvement, either.

But Thjalfi ma
Published December 2014 by Thorskona Books (first published November 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from Asgard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postcards from Asgard

Start your review of Postcards from Asgard
Erin
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New adult fantasy/mythology is decidedly outside my usual stomping grounds, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this charmingly amusing play on Norse mythology.

At one hundred and eighty-two pages, the book is a quick read that highlights the author’s humor and creativity. The romance is swift to develop, but I found the characterizations well-drawn and liked how Dillin used the story to showcase her take on the ancient legends.
Deirdre
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Norse mythology and retellings so I was thrilled to be given an ARC to read and review.

Author Amalia Dillin had me at the dedication. Because Thor. That hammer. Right?! No doubt.

As I dove into Gwen's story I found the writing to be clear, concise, and crisp. There weren't any wasted or frivolous words which made reading highly enjoyable. Dillin painted a world rooted in our own and colored with the fantastical. The magic woven through out was beautifully done.

I loved Gwen's world; her
Emily
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was eternally lucky enough to be given an ARC of this marvellous novella, and I am honoured to be able to give it a glowing review. ♥

Gwen is a normal, unremarkable Midwestern girl. She rides horses, raises goats, makes soap and cheese. So when she discovers two goats from hell doing their best to destroy her barn, and receives a mysterious postcard from their apparent owner, she is understandably angry. Even when they are followed by a farmhand with the looks of a Norse god and the manners of
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with Amalia's writing. Everything of hers that I pick up I don't want to put down until I'm done with it. This book was no exception. It's a short read, but it doesn't feel incomplete or underdeveloped like many novellas feel. I love the characterization, the goats, the postcards. A fun read that's totally satisfying. ...more
Charlene
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a cute short story. Supposedly Thor's war goats have gotten loose and he sends his hunky servant to collect them and right any wrongs. And the postcard delivers the messages to and from Thor to Gwen. It is really quite diverting and to read how Gwen handles this or not is funny. But in the end she become a believer and we all get our HEA. ...more
Krista D.
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ha! This was a cute novella. I'd give it a four, except that I'm not a big fan of "love at first sight, let's get married" - even though it does work for the story.

Loads of Norse fun, plus goats. You can't go wrong with goats.
Zenobia Neil
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Postcards from Asgard was charming. I was amazed at how much I learned about goats, farm life and Norse gods. I'm excited to read more from Amalia Dillin. ...more
Amalia Dillin
Jun 15, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, romantic
I still love this novella. It's exciting to go back and reread and still love and be proud of a thing I have written.

And if you love POSTCARDS--I'm currently writing a companion! Sign up for my newsletter to stay up to date on what's coming down the pipe! http://blog.amaliadillin.com/2016/04/...
Reading Bifrost
Thjalfi is a minor character from the Prose Edda (and an even more minor character in the Poetic Edda) but Dillin took the character and definitely made him her own. She turns him into a charming farmhand who surprisingly turned out to be a deep thinker and loyal. Not to mention he sounds easy on the eyes.

Gwen is a hard working farm-girl who is as stubborn as the goats she milks. She’s completely independent and comfortable with her lifestyle tending to her goats, horses, chickens, and cats.

Th
Naomi Ruth
I'm not usually a big romance fan, but I rally enjoyed this book. I mean, there was sexy language learning and magic postcards and angry goats and Thor. How could this be bad? Very fun story :D ...more
Coyora Dokusho
I loved it! I really got involved with the characters and enjoyed experiencing their adventures with them!
Rick Cook
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little story with a fun twist in the form of the postcards.
Jan
Where are you from? Canada? Minnesota? Who knows what they get up to in Minnesota?
And then there's the postcard that keeps putting itself back together and with a new message. It's a fine fun fantasy romance for this Wisconsin Norse!
Juliet Smith
This is a short, but beautiful combination of Norse mythology and romance, with a tough as nails heroine to root for. Moreover, no knowledge of Norse myths is required to enjoy this lovely novella, as the author manages to introduce fascinating facts without making it a boring info dump.
Karen
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thor is so yummy :) I have enjoyed this story through several edits and I still love the goats.

ME-EH!!!
Stephanie Lawrence
Worth the read

It was so amazing how you felt like you was there on the farm with her. It’s a Unique take on the gods n how they look or act. Loved it.
Marti
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet novella. I'm not a huge fan of instalove but it's hard to have it another way in a romance novella. ...more
Rochelle Tiche
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story

I love her stories. Good character development, nice plot lines, good flow. My only complaint was that I was checking my progress on my kindle and it looked like I was at 75%. Then all of the sudden, the story was over! The rest of the book was excerpts from the author's other books. I was left wanting more.
Jami
Fun little romp, though the MC rather made me roll my eyes a lot. Eh, for a fun little book I snagged as a freebie, worth the day of intermittent reading time.
Diana Paz
Apr 17, 2018
Mary
Jan 10, 2020
Amalia Dillin
Nov 14, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, romantic
Hilary
Jason
Wendy C

• Wulfstan Saga
  • Winter Solstice Winter (Viking Blood Saga, #1)
  • A Villa in Sicily: Olive Oil and Murder (A Cats and Dogs Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Secluded Village Murders
  • Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming, #1)
  • Breakfast at the Beach House Hotel (Beach House Hotel, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Loneliest Cottage (Alaskan Hearts #1)
  • Christmas Island
  • Murder [and Baklava] (European Voyage, #1)
  • The Apology
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
  • Knocking Boots
  • You Then, Me Now
  • Serpentine (His Dark Materials, #3.6)
  • The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic
  • Ten
  • Unmasking Miss Appleby (Baleful Godmother, #1)
See top shelves…
Amalia Dillin began as a Biology major before taking Latin and falling in love with old heroes and older gods. After that, she couldn't stop writing about them, with the occasional break for more contemporary subjects. She lives in upstate New York with her husband, and dreams of the day when she will own goats--to pull her chariot through the sky, of course.

Amalia is the author of the Fate of th

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...