Start by marking “The Great Christmas Knit Off” as Want to Read:
The Great Christmas Knit Off

The Great Christmas Knit Off

(Tindledale)

The perfect seasonal tale of how laughter, friends and wacky Christmas jumpers can mend a broken heart. For fans of Trisha Ashley and Jenny Colgan.

Published November 6th 2014 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Great Christmas Knit Off, please sign up.
Christi Poulsom Agree with Maria, its more about relationships in a broader sense .

Melindam
The Ultimate Christmas, Comfy-Cosy, Feel-good Book

Although it is far from perfect - the constant rattle about the failed relationship of the heroine & her ex is as clichéd as you can get - but the enjoyment/satisfaction factor is so high that I am more than willing to overlook it.

description

I haven't got the faintest idea about knitting, but Alexandra Brown totally roped me in with this book.

It is literally about a close-knit community tied in with a heart-warming makeover story; a lovely, understated romance, great characters
Leah
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I heard Alexandra Brown was writing a knitting book I was quite excited. Don't get me wrong, knitting is so not my thing (I don't have the patience or the time to learn knitting, although I do love the idea of being able to knit yourself your very own chunky knit jumper). The Great Christmas Knit-Off is the first of her new series of books set in Tindledale and I was absolutely chuffed to pieces to receive a copy to review via Netgalley. The cover for the book is stunning (and available in ...more
Love Fool
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heartbroken after being jilted at the altar, Sybil has been saved from despair by her knitting obsession and now her home is filled to bursting with tea cosies, bobble hats, and jumpers. But, after discovering that she may have perpetrated the cock-up of the century at work, Sybil decides to make a hasty exit and, just weeks before Christmas, runs away to the picturesque village of Tindledale.

There, Sybil discovers Hettie’s House of Haberdashery, an emporium dedicated to the world of
La Tonya  Jordan
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to La Tonya by: A Good Thriller
Shelves: good-read
This was a delightful book that will make you laugh and feel good about Christmas. The story begins with Sybs being jilted at the alter by her husband-to-be Luke for her twin sister Sasha. Sybs goes to Tindledale to visit her friend, Cher, to get away from her sadness. In Tindeldale her heart is mended and all her dreams come true. It is a true Christmas story for those who still believe in Christmas.

Quote:
So news really does travel fast in Tindledale; at this rate the whole village will
Holly
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Another cute Christmas book. It feeds my desire to spend the holiday season in England, that's for sure! I liked the characters but I do wish it had more Dr. Darcy! I hear this is a new series by this author so I'll definitely be on the lookout for the next book.

This book made me a little sad, though. Made me think of my grandma a lot and knowing that I messed up by not having learned to crochet and knit from her.
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first attempt at reading anything by this author was Cupcakes at Carrington's. I only read about three chapters and put the book down. Despite my efforts of trying that book I just could not get into it.

To be honest when I picked up this book I did not recognize that it was the same author until I saw the list of titles in the beginning of the book. Yet I have to say that this book is ten times better than the prior novel. I now have a different reaction to this author and will probably chec
DJ Sakata
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quotes:

“This is only a recent thing, noticing men. After being in a relationship for five years with a man that I was certain I’d marry, it still feels weird looking at other guys in a snog/marry/avoid way, as Cher would say.”

“‘Honey, it’s always like that!’ she says knowingly, her voice sounding all Mae West after several hundred cigars.”

“I end up face-planting in the snow. Thank God it’s the middle of winter and it’s already dark so nobody can see m
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having LOVED Alex’s previous Carriington’s book series, I was so excited for The Great Christmas Knit Off as it is not only a brand new book from Alexandra but the start of a whole new series!

After being left heartbroken from being jilted at the altar, Sybil throws herself into her favourite hobby – knitting. But then after a disaster at work too, Sybil decides to make a hasty exit and a few weeks before Christmas runs away to the picturesque village of Tindledale. There she discover
Ellie
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I loved the heart-warming message behind The Great Christmas Knit Off. Whilst many of these festive books focus on romance, this sees a community banding together to help an old lady out of financial difficulty, but without doing anything to make her feel embarrassed.

It might be far-fetched for a stranger to take so much interest in a stranger but Sybil and Hettie bond over their love of knitting. Once the locals see someone doing something practical to help her out, they are all eag
Jules
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, christmas
Oh wow, I absolutely LOVED this from start to finish.

The front cover is lovely.

I live in a tiny Cornish village, so giggled at some of the village quirkiness. Life in country villages really is like in this book.

"I think you have to be here for at least fifty years before you can class yourself as a local."

This is such a wonderful story about a number of intriguing characters within a little village. I loved the knitting theme, and how many of the
Kat
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley-tbr
I really enjoy Alexandra Brown’s books, and think she is really good at writing. The great Christmas Knit off was no expectation. It had everything I look for in a novel, fun, laughter, great moments and sad moments. I loved Sybil and Hettie’s friendship, and the easy manner in which they bonded. I wasn't keen on the names of the characters as found them to be old fashioned but otherwise it was a fantastic book. I can’t wait for the next in the series!

Thanks goes to Net Galley for providing a c
Bookevin
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full review: http://iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com/2...

So, tis the season to be jolly, no? I can feel the festivities coming along when I get Christmas books in the post and no surprises, The Great Christmas Knit Off by Alexandra Brown was among the pile! *queue squeal, laughter and a bout of happy jig*
SOS Aloha
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keep calm and knit on. - Sybs (Sybil)

THE GREAT CHRISTMAS KNIT-OFF opens with Hettie (in Tindledale) skimping on her lunch and worrying about the growing pile of bills. She does not want to relocate to an old folks home so her nefarious nephew could sell the House of Haberdashery in a real estate deal. Meanwhile, Sybs (in London) is a shell of her former self after her fiance ran away with her twin sister. She also suspects she is the reason for a t 40,000 pounds clerical error at wor
Natalie TBGWP
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to a Christmas book, as readers we can only hope for a few things. Snow, family, some kind of drama, and a love story. It’s exactly what Christmas is like in real life so why would we want anything else? Book one in Alexandra Brown’s new Tindledale series brings us everything on that list with an old fashioned twist.

The Great Christmas Knit Off gives us a good, steady, and emotional read. With a quirky plot and fabulous eccentric characters we really are spoiled. We are
Kim
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2014
After worrying that she may have made a dreadful mistake at work, Sybil decides she needs a short break with her best friend at the pub she is now running with her husband. She is still trying to overcome being jilted by her fiance and things are threatening to overwhelm her.

She grabs her knitting bag, a small suitcase and her beloved dog and catches the train to Tindledale. Various residents from the village are sharing her compartment and everyone seems to know each other.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Sybil, or Sybs, as her friends call her, needs to getaway for the weekend so when her friend, Cher, invites her to visit she ends up in the small village, Tindledale. There she meets an assortment of interesting characters.

First off, this is not a romance. There is a romantic element in the last half of the book but this is more of the chick lit genre. That said, it wasn't a bad book. It was a bit slow at times with all the knitting stuff. (Sorry, I don't knit). But there were some q
Mandy Radley
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this story of Sybil, after being left at the alter and following a major 'cock up' at work finds a new life and new love in Tindledale, doing what she's always loved, knitting.
Agi
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite, 2014
"The Great Christmas Knit Off" belongs to the most difficult category of books for review because I could actually only tell: amazingly great, bloody brilliant, freaking fantastic... You know what I mean. And there are also some books that even if I read them on my kindle, I'd order my paperback copy: just to hold them in my hands, to strike them, and all Alexandra's books belong to this category. This one is also pre - ordered already.

I was really not expecting to be approved for th
Luise
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was really easy to focus on the magic of this story about Sybil entering the lovely little town of Tindledale. It even made me ignore the narrative details that usually would have bothered me.

I also liked that it's more about Sybil processing her past and regaining her passion in life. Without that typical storyline of life sucks, new place, new love - happy end. (Even though that 'new love' part could have been a tiiiiny bit more.)

All in all, a wonderful christmas-y story.

Final
Anja
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story is about Sybil, who, after being left at the altar and cocking up something important at work, flees to the tiny village of Tindledale for a few days of peace, where her best friend Cher runs the local pub.
Sybil's passion is knitting, so when she finds Hettie's House of Haberdashery, she's in heaven. But the shop struggles, and so does Hettie. Of course, Sybil wants to do something, and with the help of her new friends she starts to really make an impact...

So, that was a l
Book Addict Shaun
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I have to admit that when I first read the title of Alexandra Brown's new book I did wonder just how much I would like it. Knitting is not something that interests me in the slightest, and the book reminded me of the one person I would love to recommend it to but can't (never getting that hour spent in Liberty's Haberdashery department back). I remember my Nan used to knit when I was younger but that's about it. That said though I think Alexandra is an author that could write about anything and ...more
Zarina
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted to my blog:

When I discovered Alexandra Brown's books a few years ago I instantly knew I had found a new favourite voice in women's fiction. It was the word 'cupcakes' in the first novel's title that piqued my interest, but it were Alex's wonderful characters and heart-warming stories that kept me hooked and eagerly anticipating each new in
A Page of  Fictional Love
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second I saw the title of this book I wanted to read it... for two reasons; 1) It's about knitting and 2) its by Alexandra Brown! I was not disappointed at all. In fact I felt so inspired by this story that it has really given me some hope for my future. You see I grew up as part of a village in the countryside and before I was 16 years old, I became separated from the country and had to become a city lass. Well, Sybil is the opposite, she's a city girl, working for the government department ...more
Diane Will
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
With 'knit' in the title and fact that I am knitting quite a lot at the moment, it had to be read. Very easy read, if a bit slow to start and I did wonder then the 'knitting' was going to start. Small village, lots of friendly villagers, pub, bookshop, Hetties Haberdashery, which eventually lures our Sybs to its doors. She has always dreamed of having her own shop, as she loves anything to do with crochet, knitting and sewing.

Sybs ends up here after being hearbroken and jilted at the
Andrea
I dove into The Great Christmas Knit-Off because I've always loved Brit Lit, was in a rare holiday mood, but mostly because I am very into crochet—knitting's less attractive stepsister. And in those respects, the story met those desires. It was a cute book that focuses on friendship and finding a new life path when it is least expected and most needed.

I had fun reading the first half of Great Christmas. Sybs was an engaging MC at s give crossroad in her life, and I liked where the author was ta
Patricia
Dec 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
This could have been a good little story apart from two things which were really annoying - it is overwritten, with so much padding and boring detail, that by a couple of chapters in I was reading three lines a page, still getting the gist of the story and wanting to get the end as quickly as possible; and the author went overboard on the emotional background. Yes, I get the heroine has had her heart broken, now get on with the story!!!

Another minor irritation was the overuse of the
Jill
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely gorgeous book this is. I loved it! I have finished it with a warm, fuzzy, festive feeling...and a strong desire to move to Tindledale! My only disappointment is that there isn't another book in the series to read next (I so hope there will be in the future).

The main character is Sybil. She has been jilted at the altar, not only that, but her twin sister is involved. There is a major problem at work where she may have made a big big mistake. Life really isn't going
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

Firstly, I'd like to say a huge and very grateful thank you to the publishers HarperCollins UK for providing me with a digital copy of The Great Christmas Knit Off by Alexandra Brown via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, I was absolutely over the moon when I received the email informing me that this title was waiting for me on my shelf, and I've been patiently making my way towards it, wading through my to-read pile, growing more and more excited with each
Chris Conley
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really enjoyable visit to Tindledale village. I think it is the first of other visits and I look forward to going back there.
Sharon Williams
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book such a good read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• How to Stuff Up Christmas
  • A Vintage Christmas
  • A Gift to Remember
  • A Winter Flame
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • A Proper Family Holiday
Alexandra Brown is the bestselling author of five books and launched her career with the hugely popular Carrington’s series set in a seaside town department store. Alex now writes warm, witty and heartfelt novels centred on the cosy community spirit of village life.

Alex began her writing career as a weekly columnist for The London Paper, before trading in the rat race for the good life

Tindledale (5 books)