Start by marking “The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5)

The Shepherd's Crown

(Discworld #41)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  23,478 ratings  ·  2,788 reviews
A shivering of worlds.

This is a time of endings and beginnings, old friends and new, a blurring of edges and a shifting of power. Now Tiffany stands between the light and the dark, the good and the bad.

As the fairy
Hardcover, First Edition, 276 pages
Published September 1st 2015 by Harper (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Shepherd's Crown, please sign up.
Martin According to the BBC piece the book was finished and scheduled for release in September, but due to the recent and unfortunate events it's likely to…moreAccording to the BBC piece the book was finished and scheduled for release in September, but due to the recent and unfortunate events it's likely to be release sooner than that.

...and don't forget that his daughter is scheduled to inherit the discworld. Only time will tell how she'll manage that monumental task, but I wish her the best of luck in those endeavors.(less)

·  23,478 ratings  ·  2,788 reviews

Start your review of The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5)
Andrew Hickey
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
It could have been a lot worse.
As Rob Wilkins explains in the afterword, Terry Pratchett hadn't actually finished writing this when he died. Pratchett's working methods, as described by Wilkins, involved writing scenes and piecing them together, finding the story, and then rewriting and adding scenes. Here we have something that isn't quite the end process of that. We have something that can be read, coherently, from beginning to end as a narrative, but is not quite formed.
There is, as Wilkins
Vicki
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"YOUR CANDLE...WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT - A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED...YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT...NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT"

Thank you, Sir Terry for the joy and the sadness and for the many opportunities to escape to a wonderful world where humanity's failings (and more importantly) successes are reflected and cherished as what makes us unique. Your candle will flicker and your ripples will be growing for many years to come.
Alex Sarll
Yes, obviously it's unfinished (which is not to say it lacks a beginning, middle or end - just that it wants finish in the sense of polish). But for all that, I wouldn't recommend reading it in public unless your heart is a lot stonier than mine. The last Discworld story was never likely to be an apocalypse, but - while there are internal farewells on top of the obvious external one - I take some solace in the state in which it's left; like Blandings, the Disc will still be ticking along ...more
Bradley
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 10/1/10:

Just now having finished a full Discworld re-read, I have to admit I'm still misty-eyed and depressed.
Yes, by now it is 3/4 nostalgia and 1/4 hats-off respect, but the slider continually slides, and the sadness remains.

That being said -- Well done, Tiffany. It's a fine cottage and you have fine boots and I truly respect your third and fourth thoughts. Well done, indeed.

Original Review:

If anyone has been reading this far in the series, they must be very, very sad that Sir Terry
Joey Woolfardis
If you are new to Discworld or Terry, don't start with this one. He was very ill and this was, I think it's safe to say, not written well, but by Jingo it was told well.

The story, the characters, the sadness and the happiness, all have their place here and indeed on Earth. It was probably the most perfect ending, but it was bittersweet and I shall never quite get over it.

"Mind how you go."

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Lyn
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.

And so it ends. Our wonderful journey with Sir Terry Pratchett and his wonderfully inimitable Discworld. There will never be another like it or him.

It was difficult to read this and enjoy it just for what it was another Discworld book, this one a Tiffany Aching story. Having been diagnosed in 2007 with early-onset Alzheimer's disease, he had written with a greater sense of urgency and had published several more novels
Dan Schwent
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Miyu
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
New Tiffany Aching and here I thought "I shall wear midnight" was the last one... *heavy breathing*

edit: This little treasure came to me yesterday and it already made me cry (first 10%) I hope the end will be worth all the tears since this is truly the last one. :(
Phrynne
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is really a four star book but I am giving it five anyway because it was his last and because he was a wonderful author who gave me an incredible amount of enjoyment over the years. I think the Discworld series ran to 41 books, all of them brilliant. So sad it is all over but he has left a great legacy for us to remember him by and I will certainly read those 41 books again!
Jasmine
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*sobs forever*

6.6.2015 -- Cover Release
description

*sobs even harder*
Lindsay
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ignore the star rating. Like many other people reading the last book of a deeply loved and missed author, objectivity is impossible.

Tiffany Aching comes full circle, taking on the elves again, but this time as the leader of the Discworld's witches instead of as the newest. But she has allies.

The last couple of books of Pratchett's have been sad, both in terms of being obvious goodbyes to his world and characters, and the obvious diminishing of his craft. The ideas are still there, and much of
Trish
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*takes a deep breath*
It's done. Over. This was the last book in the series. I feel somewhat empty now while being aware that I should feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

We start in The Chalk and Lancre with Tiffany and Granny Weatherwax. Granny, as people knowing me are aware, is my absolute favourite character in this series. Thus, it ripped out my heart to start off this adventure with her death. No, that is no spoiler or great big secret. While I never had confirmation (didn't go look for it),
Nisha-Anne
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, ebooks

This book did not work for me. It took me nearly twenty per cent to realise why. I couldn't hear Pratchett in the prose. There were far too many repetitions, far too much exposition. The dialect was heavyhanded and not true to the other books. Tiffany was nowhere as clearly cut as I've known her.

It felt like someone was very carefully trying to write a Terry Pratchett novel. Like the better calibre of fan fiction but not quite there.

Only twice did the authentic fire of Pratchett burn
Jennie Rigg
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't be coherent about this. I just can't. I cried so hard between pages 37 and 41 that I had to put the book down and go do something else.

It's not perfect, and if you read the afterword you'll understand why: it's not been drafted and redrafted to the extent most Pratchett books have, and in places it shows. I do like the way Pratchett, as he always has, acknowledges that most people perceive gender essentialism as normal and natural while absolutely celebrating those of us who don't.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
After finishing this, I caught myself thinking about the next Discworld book... but no. So many more stories that will never be told, and it makes me ache. I've spent half my life reading Discworld books. The Shepherd's Crown is a good farewell. It's not as strong or polished as it could have been (let's not talk about could have beens), but it has the feel and the flavor of Tiffany Aching, the Chalk, Nac Mac Feegle, and Granny Weatherwax in its bones. Goodbye! ... until I start rereading.
Melindam
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
HOW MUCH I HATE giving 2 stars to a Terry Pratchett book, especially his very.... very .... last one

I also hate knowing that there won't be any more of his books... EVER

It also makes me infinitely sad.

description

I liked the first 3 Tiffany Aching books, but was strongly of the opinion that the 4th one (I Shall Wear Midnight) already lost steam.

It's hard to describe how I feel about this 5th book about Tiffany's, but there it goes.

THIS BOOK WAS SUCH A WASTE with recycled, weak storylines that were
Julie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a truly moving read. It was lovely to witness Tiffany Aching coming into her own. There was kindness, gentleness, thoughtfulness, comfort, and strength, as well as much to ignite our imaginations.

My favorite quotes, which warmed me as I read, knowing this was the last book in the series:

"There was always a brew on" - it's always time for tea.
"and a broken biscuit for Mephistopheles" - the best humans also provide a treat for our pets.
"dealing with witches was like carrying a tray full
Lauren Deaner
Mar 12, 2015 marked it as to-read
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Part of me is crazy excited over the fact that there's another Tiffany book, and the other part is just confused and worried because I Shall Wear Midnight was such a perfect ending.
Sam Quixote
I discovered Discworld at age 11. I read the Rincewind novel, Sourcery (Discworld #5), first and read the rest of the series out of sequence, picking up whichever second hand paperback was available at this small, hidden bookshop that no longer exists (its now a butchers). I used to read entire Pratchett novels in a day and burned through the series in no time. I was a Discworld fanatic.

My love of the series continued through high school and into my 20s, though something had changed at the turn
Andrea
The Shepherd's Crown brings to a close both Tiffany Aching's witch arc, and the Discworld as a whole. Like Raising Steam, it is about the arrival of a new era, and the fading of the old.

Sadly, like Raising Steam, it is not Pterry at his height. It starts powerfully, but the novel as a whole is a sketch, a half-finished painting, where events come and go without the emotional heights and depths that should accompany them. Particularly the arc of Nightshade, which should have been an extremely
J. Bebbington
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every single human being alive today!
I cannot write a full review right now, as tears - of both sorrow and mirth - are still pouring down my cheeks. I shall write a full review, and it shall be the finest I have ever written. It will be a glowing tribute to a golden book by a man whose writing changed my life.
It was stunning, glorious and heartbreaking. A grand finale and a fitting swan song from one of the greatest writers of this -and the last- century.

GNU-TERRYPRATCHETT

UPDATE:
Here is my completed review. It was so fresh in my
Bettie

Description: A SHIVERING OF WORLDS: Deep in the Chalk, something is stirring. The owls and the foxes can sense it, and Tiffany Aching feels it in her boots. An old enemy is gathering strength.

As the fairy horde prepares for invasion, Tiffany must summon all the witches to stand with her. To protect the land. Her land.

Gabriel Clarke
Sigh. I'm not rating this. For many reasons, it makes no sense to think about this above all the other Discworld novels in that fashion. Best read as a basically unfinished but heroic sprint for the finish line.
Denis
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew I was going to cry while reading this book, from the moment I read the dedication. And I did. A lot. Reading it you get the feeling that the author knew it would be his last book, and pulled out all the stops to bring his readers closure and joy.

Pratchett is such a great loss to literature, he had so many more books in him - but then again, he has left behind such a brilliant body of work, and I look forward to re-reading it many more times.

*2018 re-read: Words fail me to describe how
Paul Bowler
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This really isn't a five star book, but I can't bring myself to give Terry Pratchett's final Discworld novel anything but five stars.

If you've read every other Discworld novel, then you're going to read this. If you're new to Discworld, then read the other forty plus books first.

As for the plot. Death makes an early appearance. I'm bereft. Bereft.
Natalie
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just finished I Shall Wear Midnight, which was bittersweet because I thought it was to be the last of Tiffany. So EXCITED!!

RIP Sir Terry, sad that this is to be your last book in the series.
I don't think it's possible for me to write an objective review of The Shepherd's Crown. As someone who has been a fan of Terry Pratchett for over 20 years I think it's fairly obvious to say that I went into this final Discworld novel feeling very emotional. We all know that we lost Terry Pratchett too soon, he was truly one of the best British fantasy writers and his voice will be deeply missed. I'll always be grateful that we have so many of his books though and I'm very pleased that he was ...more
Mariel
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Larbi Layachi
Recommended to Mariel by: a bigger shovel
A witch is always on the edge, between the light and the dark, good and bad, making choices every day, judging all the time. It was what made her human. But what was it that made an elf?

The morals of the story were good ones. People need people, try not to be an asshole, youre not too good to do what is needed, theres no such thing as men or womens work. But do you ever feel shitty when someone does something nice for you, like they really want you to know they are putting themselves out to do
Eilonwy

I'm not sure I can give this a fair review, seeing as how it's the last book in a literary era -- and even though I'm only a casual Terry Pratchett fan as compared to his truly dedicated admirers, I just can't see this book clearly because of his loss. Maybe I'll manage a proper review when I reread the whole Tiffany Aching series sometime down the road.
Philip
It feels wrong to give this a star rating, because my response to it like that of all Pratchett's regular readers is far more nuanced and conflicted than that. In terms of actual quality, it's no higher than a three, but the emotional response it elicited from me deserves a five.

In terms of what happens in the story, its a bittersweet culmination moving in places, exciting and shocking in others of the wonderful Tiffany Aching sequence, about the education and growth to maturity of a young
Around the Year i...: The Shepherd's Crown, by Terry Pratchett 2 40 Jun 13, 2016 10:31AM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Shepherd's Crown - Terry Pratchett 1 15 Jan 30, 2016 11:28AM
Terry Pratchett Fans: New Discworld Featuring: Tiffany Aching 11 115 Nov 11, 2015 02:00AM
Goodreads Best of 2015 Write-In 2 35 Nov 06, 2015 02:25PM

• Call of the Bone Ships (The Tide Child #2)
  • Come Again
  • After Many Years
  • Something Nasty in the Woodshed (Charlie Mortdecai, #3)
  • Doctor Who: At Childhood’s End
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Lite död runt ögonen
  • Somebody
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call
  • Lockdown lunacy (Clovenhoof: The Isolation Chronicles #3)
  • Sector Thirteen
  • The Cartography of Sudden Death
  • Red Heat: Conspiracy, Murder, and the Cold War in the Caribbean
  • Mathemagics
  • The Times Universal Atlas of the World
  • I'm Only a Freshman! (I'm Not a Super Spy! Book 1)
  • The Tyrannicide Brief: The Story of the Man Who Sent Charles I to the Scaffold

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels,

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)