Start by marking “The Dragon Dreamer (Dragon Dreamer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Dreamer (Dragon Dreamer, #1)

The Dragon Dreamer

(Dragon Dreamer #1)

A wounded dragon and an undersea misfit. Dive into a new fantasy world! Stand-alone book I of the award-winning Dragon Dreamer series. For young adults 9 to 99.

Bullied as a worthless dreamer, Arak flies away on a dangerous quest to prove himself. The young dragon crashes at sea, suffering serious injuries and the loss of his trance-stone. A fearless, shape-shifting octopus
Kindle Edition
Published May 10th 2014 (first published April 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Dreamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Dreamer

Start your review of The Dragon Dreamer (Dragon Dreamer, #1)
Anna
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely unique book that combines action and adventure with a deep understanding of real ocean life and a highly imagined dragon world. It is both fascinating and educational. For anyone who has ever been curious about the mysteries of the depths or enchanted with dragons, this book will engage you. If you are drawn to both, the Dragon Dreamer will become your favorite book ever.
C.D. Gorri
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
J.S. Burke has managed, and with great success, to build a world that young readers will find a sheer delight to explore! While reading this novel I shared passages with my ten year old daughter and she was thrilled with the surprising friendship between Arak the dragon and Scree the octopus.
Both characters have so much to offer! Arak is a dreamer who deals with his own self-doubt as well as a bullying dragon, his first brush with love, and his overwhelming desire to help his community of drago
J.S. Burke
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

A dying dragon, an undersea misfit, and a dangerous dream.

Arak is bullied as a worthless dreamer. Determined to prove himself, the young dragon leaves on a quest, flies far over the sea, and crashes. Badly wounded, he faces death. A fearless, shape-shifter octopus named Scree finds and heals him, and an unexpected friendship begins.

Arak returns to the Winter Festival, where dragons carve glaciers with fire and toss lightning bolts in the clouds. But a deadly illness stalks the dragon clan. Then
A. Rick
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Need more stars.

When I saw this book had over 50 reviews and a 4.9 rating I was skeptical. After reading The Dragon Dreamer I now know why. It only has a 4.9 rating because we can't give it 6 stars. Yes, it's that good.

There are too many authors who seem to see how 'dark' they can be. Or how many bad choices they can have their characters make and still have them look good at the end.

This is a story that shows the positive. The main characters have their flaws but unlike so many times where the
Dolly
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this on GoodReads.

“The Dragon Dreamer” is a lovely story about using the gifts you were born with and how people can still be good friends even if they look different then you. This is designed for a younger reader (middle school? maybe younger) with a glossary in the back for words they may not know. Arak is a young dragon with a talent to mind-trance. The other young dragons tease him and call him a “dreamer”. After an accident he is injured and is nursed back to health by something he h
Christina McMullen
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute and in many ways surprising tale. Who would have thought about story of a friendship between a dragon and an octopus would be so incredibly interesting? Well, obviously, the author did, because she did a fantastic job of weaving a fanciful story with actual facts about 0ctopi and other marine life. I adored all the characters.
Alex Carey
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages
Recommended to Alex by: Goodreads
A beautiful story - an engaging and original concept

The Dragon Dreamer by J. S. Burke is definitely NOT just another dragon story. As I began to read, I was confused about how a dragon and an octopus could become friends. By the end of the first chapter, I had taken the bait and was hooked. The storyline is creative and original, a fantasy tale with similarities to real life. The book is a beautiful story, a fun, whimsical read and a smart read all in one, not easy to accomplish. It is appropria
William Stuart
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading authors from Georgia and added The Dragon Dreamer by J S Burke to my TBR not long ago. Read on to discover my thoughts!

Synopsis (from the author): The Dragon Dreamer is a fast-paced adventure with flying dragons, an undersea world, and an unlikely friendship. It's a science fantasy layered for readers age 9 to 99.

Arak is a misfit dragon called "Dreamer". Determined to prove himself he leaves on a dangerous quest, is caught in a fierce sea-storm, and crashes on ice. Wounded and al
Tom Fallwell
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Dragon Dreamer is a fantastic tale of adventure, intrigue and relationships revolving around two disparate cultures: Dragons and Octopi. How the dragon Arak learns to interact with the octopus Scree is both enlightening and extraordinary, but is a great example of how two diversely different communities can come together and mutually benefit each other.

The author has a magnificent grasp of sea life, and her experience and expertise shine throughout this magnificent tale. Reading The Dragon D
Fizza
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
It's a fantastic story about dragons, octopi, and giant squids. Definitely an interesting read. Story is about a dragon 'Dreamer' who ends up meeting an octopus quite by accident, but from there they become good friends. Soon they're learning about each other's way of life, likes, and dislikes. And then they decide that both their communities will benefit from trade. Hence, their friendship grows and becomes stronger each day. They face many challenges, and adventures, since both are cu
Marc Secchia
An authentic and moving friendship develops between a dragon and an octopus in this beautifully crafted tale for all ages. Arak the dragon is a dreamer and adventurer. Scree the curious octopus is a healer willing to rick it all to help those in need. My 10 year-old bookworm daughter (who is quite a discerning reader and not often lavish with her praise!) says, "The story's fabulous!" and I fully agree. This is a story to dive into, literally, because there's so much more to this tale than meets ...more
Wendy Smith
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great read - I seem to be going backwards, but siince I usually have 3 or 4 books on the go, I always know where I am. I am enthralled by the Octopusses and Dragons and their relationships. The two books in this series are great for an afternoon read or to hand over to my granddaughter who loves the sea and a good read.
Evelyn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful world to get lost in!

I could vividly visualize the colors described and the dragons had wonderful personalities. Their partnership with the octopuses benefited them all. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole book!
Joshua Blum
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Everything worth doing starts with a dream," says Arak, one of the main characters in J.S. Burke's wonderfully imaginative novel, "The Dragon Dreamer." On the surface, this is a fantasy book aimed at middle grade readers about a young dragon, Arak, who, after crash landing on an ice floe, is nursed back to health by an octopus healer, Scree, and the friendship that develops between them and their respective species. But it is a story that can be read on multiple levels and by multiple ages.

Alth
C
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Connections

I was thoroughly surprised reading this book. It was a very creative way of bring science and worlds together. It was very pleasing to see the way the relationships were formed, maintained and demonstrated here. Very inventive!
Kelley Powell
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Dragon Dreamer is a deeply imaginative fantasy about the unlikely friendship between a dragon, Arak, and an octopus, Scree. Filled with tales of trance-minds, octopus skin pictures, undersea volcanoes, shark attacks and battles with giant squid, it offers plenty to feed and inspire young imaginations. As unlikely as Arak and Scree’s friendship may be, J.S. Burke succeeds at making it completely believable.

Scree is a brave, adventurous healer with a caring, cautious mate, Orm. The contrast be
Rose English
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-fav-s
Really loved this book with its underlying message of being tolerant of others especially those who are different. It encourages us to live in peace with our fellow creatures.

A truly wonderful story for young and old alike. It is unique in that it covers many topics, such as the barriers of language between species. It shows how some creatures are united in their love of art, science and technology. Truly amazing.

Arak is a dragon who does not quite fit in with the pack. He is after all a dreamer
Pletcha Webb
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AN ENCHANTING STORY

The author has created an enchanting story for all readers whether you’re a child or merely young at heart. Her style of writing is like an artist painting a picture of watercolors all blending together to create one splendid work.

The Dragon Dreamer is a charming adventure that includes a highly unlikely friendship between a wounded dragon, Arak, and his healer a lovable octopus named Scree. During the time it takes for Arak to heal, they form an unbreakable bond. Arak is lab
Donna Moore
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully woven tale about a chance meeting between an injured Dragon and an Octopus.. Arak is a dragon and known as a dreamer by his peers and picked on for his tendencies to zone out so to speak, Scree is an octopus healer who yearns for travel and adventure.
Arak crash lands on the ice while trying to find copper to save his family and friends. Scree finds him too injured to fly and in need of a healer. In the most creative of ways the author spins a tale of friendship formed by t
Debbie
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderfully unique story! This is a very enjoyable read. I love that the octopus, Scree, is a healer since they are very intelligent creatures. She teaches Arak, a young dragon, how important it is to communicate with different creatures. Together they help their kind work and learn together. I wish that I could have read this story to my boys when they were little children. It would have been an enjoyable way to learn about life, being different and embracing it, communication, and seein ...more
Tammy Donnelly
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Jenny has a wonderful story here . great for every age .Arak never quite fit in as a normal dragon, always sort of a misfit, called a dreamer .This story is of adventure , acceptance of different creatures life and death struggles and the way a few can bring about change . in an ever changing world a mix of sea creatures dragons and the struggles of the changing environments they live in make a great story to read young and old .loved it pick up a copy today
Rik Ty
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dragon Dreamer is a fresh, positive fantasy about a Dragon who gets rescued by an Octopus. Both beings are sentient. The two become friends, bring their two cultures into friendship, and then cooperate to solve several problems weighing down on their respective communities. Burke’s touch is very light, but she gives in-the-moment explorations of a host of heavy topics - friendship, courtship, trust, empathy, sympathy, bravery, all bolstered by real-world science and solid reasoning. It makes ...more
Anita Kovacevic
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Combining two of my most favourite elements, the ocean and fantasy, has certainly not put this author in an easy spot with me as a reader. My expectations were really high.

The author's fascination with sealife is obvious, and it is intriguing how she intertwines it with the dragon world. There is so much lovely detail in the descriptions, and almost a science to it. I enjoyed the author's comparison of the daily rituals of sea and dragon life with the human perspective. In fact, most of the stor
Mistral Dawn
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Arak is a dragon, but he's not like the other dragons. He has a gift that makes him different, and being different is never easy. Wanting to gain acceptance among the other dragons, he sets off on his own to try to help his people and ends up in trouble. Which is when he meets Scree and a beautiful friendship is born. Will these two exceptional individuals overcome all the challenges ahead and succeed in helping their people? You'll have to read to find out!

I loved, loved, loved this story. I li
Sarah Northwood
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantasy and reality come together beautifully in this book, through the eyes of the creatures/characters you are absorbed and taken into their world. The beginning totally captured my interest with the wonderful descriptions through the eyes of the dragon and meeting the Octopus, who turns out to be a healer. I would place this as a young adult story with fantasy and mythical at its core. I did find myself getting a little lost in the middle of the book but I appreciated how each chapter had a s ...more
Margaret Appel
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Dragon Dreamer is a lovely flight of fantasy, of dragons & octopi, that is chock full of adventure, adversity, and the joy of new found friends. A blend of make-believe & real scientific facts, this book is a wonderful read no matter what age you are. ...more
Ann
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was great can't wait to read more books by this author
Kim
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book!

So nice to find a story where differences are celebrated rather than feared. We truly have so much to learn from others. I love dragons and the sea, this story meshed both beautifully.
Dellani Oakes
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fantasy for adults as well as children. Full of imagery, imagination and facts about the world under water. I loved this book and highly recommend it for the young, or young at heart.
R.J. Mornix
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Fantasy For All Ages

Not something I would normally pick up but I am now a J. S. Burke fan. A fantastic tale which is woven with dynamic characters and brilliant scenery. This book is one for all ages, you can read it yourself, with your children or with your grandchildren. It is a fantasy built for all ages.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Rift (Riders of Fire, #3)
  • Ezaara (Riders of Fire, #1)
  • Dragon War (Riders of Fire #5)
  • Dragon Hero (Riders of Fire, #2)
  • Dragon Strike (Riders of Fire #4)
  • El Hijo del Traidor: (El Sendero del Guardabosques, Libro 1)
  • El Secreto del Rey: (El Sendero del Guardabosques, Libro 2)
  • Traición en el Norte: (El Sendero del Guardabosques, Libro 4)
  • El Misterio de la Tundra: (El Sendero del Guardabosques, Libro 3)
  • The Secret Refuge: (Path of the Ranger Book 5)
  • Mageborn
  • Mouse and Bear
  • Nightborn
  • City of Magic (Dragon Fire Prophecy, #1)
  • Tunnels of Tre'mere (Dragon Fire Prophecy, #3)
  • Forest of Kings (Dragon Fire Prophecy, #2)
  • Gem of Life (Dragon Fire Prophecy, #4)
J. S. Burke is an author, artist, and marine biologist, studying creatures of the dark abyss and diving on coral reefs. Her stories blend imagination with real science and author experiences. The Dragon Dreamer series grew from years at sea, a fascination with clever, alien octopuses, and a love of dragons: Science Fantasy for young adults 9 to 99.

"Dragon Lightning" won Pinnacle First Place for B

Dragon Dreamer (2 books)
  • Dragon Lightning (Dragon Dreamer, #2)