Start by marking “Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)” as Want to Read:
Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)

Nemesis Games

(The Expanse #5)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  35,479 Ratings  ·  2,195 Reviews
The fifth novel in Corey's New York Times bestselling Expanse series--now being produced for television by the SyFy Channel!

A thousand worlds have opened, and the greatest land rush in human history has begun. As wave after wave of colonists leave, the power structures of the old solar system begin to buckle.

Ships are disappearing without a trace. Private armies are being
Published June 2nd 2015 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis Games, please sign up.

Bradley
Re-Read: 10/11/18:

Shit. I said everything I wanted to say in my old review. It's still a stirring adventure for each of the characters as they split up and eventually came back together.

Truly a character-driven novel this time, though. Not much alien stuff. Just humans doing the god-awful crap they do. :)

Old review:

This was one hell of an easy read. I got sucked back into the characters as if I had never left and was delighted to see that they shone brighter than in several of the previous novel
Kemper
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
“This is as good as it gets. Can’t expect everyone to be on the same page. We’re still humans after all. Some percentage of us are always going to be assholes.”
- Naomi Nagata - Nemesis Games

"Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."
- Ron Burgundy - Anchorman: The Legend of Run Burgundy

After their latest misadventure the Rocinante is in need of extensive repairs that will keep the ship sidelined as the crew finds itself with a variety of personal matters that need
Hannah Greendale
Nemesis Games offers a perfect blend of intimate character stories with a broad scale intergalactic adventure of epic proportions. The book takes about 200+ pages to establish the stakes before launching into one thrilling close call after another.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/06/19/b...

*Warning: May contain spoilers for previous books if you haven't read them*

The Expanse is my favorite space opera series right now – the only space opera series that I’m still following, to be honest, when I’ve given up on so many others. Not only are things still going strong at book five, they also just keep getting better and better. I thought Cibola Burn was going to be the best installment we’ll see for a while, but
Rob
Executive Summary: Best one yet! I've always enjoyed this series, but I really loved this book. My only complaint would I don't have more to read! I can't wait for book 6.

Audio book: Jefferson Mays is back! Huzzah! Don't get me wrong, he's not one of my favorite narrators or anything, but he is good. And the guy they got to replace him for book 4 was not. I was considering switching to text for this book if that narrator was used again. Thankfully I didn't have to.

His accents for Avasarala and
Ashley
First, a warning: I have officially passed the point of objectivity for this series. You know you’ve passed that point when you no longer care what happens in a book series as long as you get to spend more time in its world hanging out with its characters. This isn’t a place I get to easily, but once I’m there, I never ever leave. Love, it is irrational.

With that said, oh boy, this book was awesome.

In retrospect, one of my favorite things about each book in the series is how different each one
Gary
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most nerve-wracking Expanse novel yet sees the crew of the Rocinante separate for a variety of personal reasons during some down time for ship repairs. Slowly, they find themselves drawn back together as a strange conspiracy morphs into a shocking, game-changing event.
This time, each of the Roci crew has their own POV storyline, instead of the usual cycling through a new cast of supporting characters. The opportunity to take an even closer look at these people we’ve come to love (instead of
Derkanus
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Choko
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
*** 4.75 ***

"... “We’re not making any official statements, especially when James Holden’s in the room. No offense, but your track record for blurting information at inopportune moments is the stuff of legend.” ..."

OK, this was awesome!!! I think after the short story "The Churn", which was all about how Amos got to be who he is and where he is, this is my favorite book of the series so far!!! It was everything you want from a Science Fiction + Space Opera + Drama!!! And none of that manufact
Tom Merritt
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved getting the perspectives from each of the view of the Rocinante. I also loved splitting them up so we can see a little more of what they're like outside of Holden's orbit. My only quibble would be that the story arc leaves me hanging which in show business I believe is called leaving me wanting more. Which ultimately is a good thing but damn. All of the Expanse novels have left you on a hook for the next one but never as intensely as this one I don't think. SO MANY MYSTERIES! ALL THE MYS ...more
Lindsey Rey
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I need book 6 RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Lori
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice addition to the series.
Algernon
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015

Only last week I wrote that I don’t like to start multi-volume stories in progress, as I have neither the patience to wait years, nor the sharp memory to keep events and characters sorted out long term. But, what good are rules if you can’t make exceptions! Five years ago, my friends were all praising this new space opera thing by a new author: “The Expanse” by James S A Corey. When I learned that half of the creative team behind this alias is Daniel Abraham, I didn’t hesitate, and today I consi
Mike
After the shortcomings of the previous installment, I was a bit concerned that the shine might be off this delicious space opera apple (not a Star Carrier level of concern, but still some). I was extremely happy to see my concerns obliterated and my faith in this series more than restored.

My biggest problem with the last book was that it felt very claustrophobic. I mean, the series is called Expanse , but Cibola Burn mostly took place on one planet, nothing like the solar system (and beyond) sp
Renay
Friends, I have been having paroxysms of joy whenever I think about this book, these characters, their friends, AVASARALA, BOBBIE, FRED.

THIS WAS LIKE AN ACTION MOVIE IN BOOK FORM FROM THE HEAVENS WHERE EVERYONE IS BOTH BADASS AND VULNERABLE AND DEADLY AND STRONG AND HEARTBREAKING AND HILARIOUS. EVERYTHING I WANTED FROM THIS SERIES THIS BOOK GAVE TO ME AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND I CAN'T EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVED IT. IT'S SO GREAT. IT'S THE GREATEST. ARE THERE OTHER WORDS TO TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT THIS
Lata
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. A tense story with a shocking development. The Roci team is split up and in different locations. We get a better view into each team member's thoughts, finally, and Bobbie and Chrisjen are back, too.
People are leaving for the new unexplored planets, and that's changing things politically throughout the system, shaking up governments and making Belters very uncomfortable. Meanwhile, Naomi gets a reminder from her past. And damn! I am so glad we finally get some insight into Naomi, and
Olivia
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Finally we get to explore more points of views from the crew of the Rocinante. I especially enjoyed reading more of Naomi and found her backstory very interesting, but also Amos and Alex got an interesting and enthralling story. I even grew to like Holden!

Avasarala is my favourite character and I think my only complaint this time around was that we don't get to see as much of her as I'd like.

I'm excited to read the next book!
Mr. Matt
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, aliens, sci-fi, favorites
After the resolution of Cibola Burn, I thought surely the series was due for somewhat of a step back. Nope. The Expanse delivers again! Holden, Burton, Nagata, Kamal, and all the rest are back ... and so is the tension that the author has managed to keep at a high pitch over five books. Impressive.

Holden and company return from New Terra and split up - each pursuing some personal, somewhat hidden agenda. The break up of the company leaves Holden morose and struggling. His crew had become his fa
Andreas O
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Moving the pieces.

Unspecified spoilers ahead.

Excitement. Drama. Character. Vast, sweeping changes to the universe. The book has it all.

Still, at the end, little that was not started in this book is resolved. The implications are not expanded on. What should have been a momentous, earth shattering change has less impact than the Ilus incident in the last book. The book ends long before the story does. This is half a book pretending to be whole. A good half. But still only half.

Pieces are moved a
Justine
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
This was yet another great entry into The Expanse series. This book provides some insight into the personal backgrounds of some of the long time characters as the usual action filled tale unfolds. The story continues to be full of excitement and I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment!
Kevin Kelsey
Easily the best in the series so far. No question about that. Instead of introducing several new characters and slowly weaving them into the plot along with the Rocinante crew, this one buckles down on the core characters and delivers in strides. A lot happens, considering that no time had to be spent giving us info on all new people, the bulk of the book fully develops backstories and gives us the goods on the main characters.

Naomi brings it all home in this one, and it's amazing to finally se
Raja
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
The entire book is great... except for anything that has anything to do with one particular character. But first, the good: We're back to big spaces and high stakes, which is enjoyable after the sometimes claustrophobic fourth book in the series. It's more my speed. My favourite characters return, which is also pretty great. The earth-shattering events are handled deftly, and we see enough characters react to them that you can probably find your likely response in there somewhere. The ending, as ...more
Cathy (cathepsut)
Fabulous. I think I have a new favourite in the Expanse series! 5 stars with a cherry on top. Some slight spoilers ahead...

All about Holden, Naomi, Alex and Amos, instead of the usual introduction of a new host of characters never to be seen again.

And Bobby is back! And Avasarala, potty-mouth and all.

This is like pure gold for the fans of the series. No distractions of getting to know other characters or slowly diving into a complicated storyline. Just our favourite crew, with their odd-ball hu
Samir
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

Daniel
Najbolji deo ovog serijala do sada. Dubina prica i niovo detalja koji pokriva je stavrno iznenadjujuce. Cinjenica da su svi glavni likovi prepusteni sami sebi daji piscima mogucnost da kontrolisu pricu koja prati cetiri totalno razlicita dogadjaja koji su opet stalno povezani.

Nema dosadnih momenata, stvari se stalno desavaju koje su stalno interesantne i saznajemo dosta istorije o nekim likovima. Plus citava scena oko koje se prica vrti se totalno menja u odnosu na prethodne knjige.

Moram da priz
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh man…I don’t really know where to begin with a review of Nemesis Games. As this is undoubtedly my favorite science fiction series, I don’t think that a fully unbiased review is possible. But then again, this is my review, so I suppose I can write it any way I please. So yeah, a glowing review it shall be…

Nemesis Games essentially begins right where Cibola Burn left off, so if you finished that book a while ago, as I did, you may have to engage your memory banks to recall all of the major plot
Veronique
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This is as good as it gets. Can’t expect everyone to be on the same page. We’re still humans after all. Some percentage of us are always going to be assholes."

Although it took me a while to get into this book (my fault, not the novel), Nemesis Games turned into one of my favourite from this series. For a while now, I had wanted to get more about the crew of the Rocinante and this instalment finally delivered! Not only do we get their back stories and how their past affects them, we also see the
Krbo
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
falatibože pročitah -konačno!

Bilo je dosadno. Eto, vratili se oni s lokacije nastavka 4 i treba popraviti brod. Kako je dobro rasturen to će trajati mjesecima pa se posada malkice rasula pohvatati duhove prošlosti. Malo Zemlja, Mars, nepoznato i kapetan osta sam paziti na brod.

I počeše oni svašta mrljaviti, ali tek od 40% knjige - do tada se čita očekujući nekog vraga koji nikako da stigne.

A i kad počne neki zaplet sve ispada običan krimić smješten u prostor između Zemlje i asteroidnog pojasa.
Je
Robyn
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I really liked getting into the heads of the entire crew of the Rocinante. It was a good way to get around the fact that they were separated through most of the book and still retain the feel of the closeness of the crew in the previous books. Once again, people are up to nefarious things, there are mysteries galore, and I have no idea what the Ring is up to! Really looking forward to the next one.
Patremagne
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best of the series. We finally got a book with entirely Roci-crew-based PoVs, and shit just goes down every single chapter. The stakes have been amped up tenfold, and I'm giddy with excitement for book 6 in November.
The Expanse (nove...: Re-reading the series 1 1 Oct 22, 2018 01:32PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Nemesis Games [March 2018] 45 77 Oct 22, 2018 06:51AM
Science Fiction A...: * Book 5: Nemesis Games 15 56 Oct 14, 2018 06:30AM
Beyond Reality: Nemesis game: finished reading (spoilers!) 23 27 Mar 04, 2018 07:53AM
Beyond Reality: Nemesis Games: Roll call & first impressions 10 12 Jan 11, 2018 09:26PM
  • Edge of Infinity
  • The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)
  • Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch #3)
  • The Red: First Light (The Red #1)
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • Artefact (Lazarus War, #1)
  • Apex (Nexus, #3)
  • Trial by Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #2)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox #2)
  • The Coldest War (The Milkweed Triptych, #2)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Untitled (The Expanse, #9)
“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”
108 likes
“You can tell you’ve found a really interesting question when nobody wants you to answer it.” 54 likes