Start by marking “Black Collar (Uncommon Rebels Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Collar (Uncommon Rebels Trilogy, #1)

Black Collar

(Uncommon Rebels Trilogy #1)

"Sullivan has a knack for the thriller." ~ Tim Wu, author of The Master Switch and The Attention Merchants

BLACK COLLAR - THE NET NEUTRALITY THRILLER

The internet was the people's great equalizer. That's why the American aristocracy had to take it away.

MIT graduates Hart Galliston and Rockle Farnsworth are two weeks away from unveiling their revolutionary display technology
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 356 pages
Published July 30th 2014 by Paper Airplane Press (first published October 23rd 2013)

Start your review of Black Collar (Uncommon Rebels Trilogy, #1)
Jacquelyn E. Salive
Up-to-the-Minute Read

Getting a free e-book was a surprise, so I decided to check it out and couldn't put it down. Don't know when I have ever read a book so up to the minute as this book's main concern of net neutrality. It's one of my concerns also. Adding the shady banking practices just added to the immediacy. And more books to come as this is first in a trilogy!
Tulay
Net Neutrality and more.

Washington D.C., is for sale for the highest bidder. Money and years of propaganda has to be restricted. Fiction but so true with what's going on in this country. Thrills with unpredictable twists and meaningful details, if you read this book free, please buy it so it will be in your library and help Mr Sullivan to write more books.
"Net neutrality represents America's continuing struggle with rising inequality".
Nancy
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
nice try

The story rambled all over the place. The writing ranged from decent to adolescent. There's potential, but some tight editing is needed.
Kelly
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this!!

This is a very well written realistic possibility for any nation. While the descriptions of places and actions, at times were too detailed, even the details were eloquent and beautiful. I enjoyed this book so much I couldn't put it down ... it took all day and most of the night. Great character building and varied types of people made this fun to read.
Amy L Dues
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
OK

An OK story at best. Way too much repetition and background detail unnecessary for the story. Won’t bother with the rest of the trilogy.
elizabeth affel
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Did not want to put this down!

I thought the story based on net neutrality and character development were excellent. I was Hooked!
I am looking forward to book 2
Kathy
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional

An exceptionally well written tale of the corruption brought about by too much power. One of the best Indy books I have read.
Geoff Ingalls
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well done piece of entertainment

A wonderful blend of tech, modern issues and intriguing characters with just enough fantasy to keep it flowing. A great read.
Allastar Morpheus Sevan
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Black Collar: Book 1 of the Uncommon Rebels Trilogy by Daniel Sullivan; published by Paper Airplane Press (2014-07-30).

“Necessitous men are not free men.”

From the epigraph to its final paragraph, the political thriller Black Collar by first-time author Daniel Sullivan, is an excellent and engaging work of literary fiction.

Black Collar is set in a fictional America where a half dozen colossal media corporations determine 90% of what citizens read, watch, or listen to; where the U.S. Supreme Court
Melinda
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh to be brilliant and rich...

This book goes from 0 to 100 mph and just stays there the entire time. It is a book that mixes politics with vengeance, murder, freedoms, entitlement and some very amazing hacking.

Are all technology people born cleverly devious? In this book they are sidelining financial institutions, broadcasting frequencies, credit cards, my personal favorite was the paintball gun setup.

This comes down to the question of this: If you had the intelligence and the money to do the r
Juli Manz
Five star book. One star author editorial. Wish I could give it a five.

Great story that really captured my attention. Two different plots that tangled together nicely with some unexpected twists. However, when reading the author's view on the have's and have not's in the world and how every one "deserves" things just because they exist, I immediately became turned off and will not read or recommend this author. Entitlement is a HUGE problem in our society. No one deserves anything. If a person
Claire
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I am of two minds on this book. There is a very good plot, complex and well-developed. Two young MIT grads take on political and corporate powerhouses, including a leading candidate for the Presidency. Author Daniel Sullivan, with his background in information technology, is able to present technological ideas in ways that are easy to understand, yet breathtaking in their ingenuity. The pace is fast, and it's difficult to keep from smiling as you watch the young guns outsmart the established exp ...more
Alyssa
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUTSTANDING, OUTSTANDING, OUTSTANDING

I couldn't read this books any faster then I did. It was so well developed, with characters, story lines and ideas.
I am not one to delve into explaining every moment or dissect a book. Any reader can read through what other customers thought. My review is based on Black Collar as an outstanding book that pushed through with horrible, painful family stories and those events propelled this young man forward and he had his day.
I cheered, I cried and this book
Ed Combs
Absolutely gripping

Trying not to sound like a rubber stamped cliche, but how do you get around, intense, provoking, mind boggling, thrilling, non-stop, realistic, etc.?

"Daniel Sullivan's", "Black collar" is the first book I have read where I actually caught myself holding my breath between sentences waiting to see what was next. Numerous times I had to force myself to slow down, take a breath, thinking did I read that right, and then go back re-read the paragraph just to make sure I hadn't mis-r
Grecia
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trilogy
Black Collar it has been a true revelation for me.
I received this book for free, I was doubtful about what was the deal about this book, after the first chapter I was confused and hated the fact that Martin was this abusive senator, however the more I read the more I needed to know what was going to happen.
Honestly this book was really great, It well let you understand a little more about politics, but more important it will be a story about courage, standing for the truth, love, vengeance, frie
Dorothy Gagnon
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pursuing Justice

A highly successful U. S. Senator showed outward signs of age due to the consumption of alcohol. Worse his abuse of women over the years made him a very dangerous person to be involved in an affair. Driving dangerously one night he crashed into another car, and then purposely drove it over the edge killing all inside.

Unknown to Martin, one person was thrown through the windshield and seriously injured, but got a look at the Vehicle that caused the death of his family. He vowed th
pegi carey
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the wild...a really good time.

I gave this 5 stars for several reasons. I read to be entertained and this was one of those books that,once begun, was hard to put down. Good action, strong characters and a little sex and violence with some righteous vengeance, it had all the ingredients I look for in an entertaining read. What I didn't expect was the thought provoking plot theme of a free internet usurped. It really is disturbing how easily our freedoms could be curtailed or taken away altog
Staci
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is nothing I love more than finding a new author who can not only hold my attention, but creates an urgent need for me to continue reading just another page...and then another... because you just cannot put it down! Daniel Sullivan has created a story that could be ripped from the headlines and it focuses on what many American's fear - the loss of freedom. Black Collar is more than an entertaining read. It opens the reader's eyes to what can happen and does happen when the government is bo ...more
Bryan
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Takes a while, but worth it.

Wow! At first, I thought about not finishing the book. It seemed to have too many storylines and none of them were positive. Disaster waited on every page. By the time I was halfway through, I was losing sleep and couldn't put it down! I love the twists and turns, and finding out who wins and who loses. And issues around net neutrality are far more menacing than I ever imagined. Now I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy! Excellent work, Mr. Sullivan.
Allyson Abbott
A good debut book with a plot that starts of as a hunt for the killers of Hart's family, but ends up with a more intricate story of saving America from greedy and self righteous politicians. I enjoyed the book and I would recommend it, however I did feel it was a bit long and there were too many characters ( and all their details and history) to keep it fast paced. Too many side details, which I think detracted from the main plot.
The author has clearly done a lot of research and the premise behi
Allyson Abbott
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
The author has clearly done a lot of research and the premise beh
Renee
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Good Reads and it was a excellent read. Although this book is listed as fiction some of the events ring true about what is going on in this country. It was a little scary how close some of the story is to real life. Democrats, Republicans and Independents be careful of what you wish for because it might just come true. Take away all of the parties names and a lot of this is happening right now...especially the media. Everyone should read this book.
Rizello
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
OK, I wanted to like this book. The story started off very well. I was hooked from the first.

Then, I don't know what happened. It turned into a male fantasy book: two guys outwit the political and economic leaders, they get every girl that they want, etc.

I had a hard time believing that a woman who grew up being molested by her father would really enjoy abuse from a man she supposedly cared for.

I was really hoping for this to be different. Sigh. . .
Kimberly C. Winslow
How bad politics and corruption can get!

This book is more of a lesson. You already see certain stations report news in a slanted/biased way! It is frustrating to see the same basic story told very differently depending on which station you turn on. I think news is supposed to be about the facts and neutral! The ripple effect was well done by this author when he thought through his plot! Great characters and storytelling ability.
Sharon Michael
Interesting plot line and well developed characters but the reader does have to seriously suspend belief to manage the heavily slanted political scenario in the storyline.

There were parts of the book that I enjoyed very much, those that read like a well crafted techno-thriller. I did have to resort to skimming the sections which were the platforms for the political rants and social commentary.
Richard R., Martin
I liked the book, though I would have like it more with a little less graphic violence. The plot is good and the subject of who controls the internet is indeed timely but the author could have used a good editor. Corporate names like CBC, NBS, Zamzung, Comblast and Zerison are really over the top. The villains are so evil that it is almost comical, but issues are real and should be a part of the public forum.
Joan M Erickson
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to purchasing Book Two

The balance of fairness among government, constituents, and corporate America sways constantly. One wonders when an uprising will occur in real life. This story is a good example of what could happen. Enjoyed the bits of history or descriptions that were incorporated into the story.
Wendy Shrubsole
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riviting

I really enjoyed the book as I was impressed with the subject of privatizing the internet. Quite well written and keep me reading. Didn't catch on about Moe until it was revealed. Found the male/female relationships a little corner and too easy. I would recommend the book and can't wait to read the next two.
Hurry up and write Daniel
Dave Poll
Fantastic Read

Fast paced, never a dull moment. Excellent character development, by mid-book I had developed a very strong rapport with most of the characters, protagonist and antagonist alike. a novel that covers in an extremely knowledgeable and cogent manner, one of today's very prominent issues, Net Neutrality.
The Rhodes
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and exciting read

This book kept me turning pages until there weren't any left to turn. The subject matter is extremely relevant, as much of the story is centered around corrupt politics and net neutrality. I enjoyed that every chapter was from a different characters perspective yet clearly fit into the bigger picture. Overall well worth the download.

• The Advocate
  • Knight & Culverhouse Box Set (Knight & Culverhouse, #4-6)
  • The Advocate's Betrayal (The Advocate #2)
  • Keeping with Killers (The Salingers #1)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
  • The Tracker (Sam Callahan, #1)
  • Shadow Shepherd (Sam Callahan, #2)
  • No Cry For Help
  • Sorrowful Road (Allan Stanton, #3)
  • Alyssa and Dalton
  • The Show Must Go On (Show Girls, #1)
  • Burning Greed (DI Tanya Miller investigates #2)
  • Auf zerbrochenem Glas (Ein Nik-Pohl-Thriller 1)
  • The Women on Retford Drive (Dancing Hills Series #1)
  • Steel Force (Jack Steel #1)
  • Chicken Scratch (The Sisters, Texas #1)
Sullivan is an IT professional and consumer advocate. He has been passionate about media issues since majoring in mass communication at the University of Missouri, where he also attended law school for three semesters before withdrawing to publish Black Collar. His pastimes include traveling, tennis, and hiding from relatives who want free tech support.