Start by marking “All Things Rise (Return to Earth #1)” as Want to Read:
All Things Rise (Return to Earth #1)

All Things Rise

(Return to Earth #1)

Lesbian FF&P -- Cole rescues Ava, a pilot from the Cloud City of Easton who crash-lands near her farm, setting in motion events that will alter the course of her life. It’s a hundred years after peak oil and the rich have risen above the Earth, inhabiting great Cloud Cities, while those left behind live a rural existence, off the grid. After suffering a vicious attack, ...more
Published May 19th 2015 by Bold Strokes Books (first published May 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about All Things Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Things Rise

Joc
After a misunderstanding with her best friend, Ava takes off from her cloud city in her cruiser to get some head space. While flying her cruiser loses power and she crash lands on earth. Cole sees the light coming from her ship and goes to investigate. Ava is not quite as please to see Cole as Cole would have deemed polite. Cole is 22-years-old now and helping Vivian and Ida run the farm.

This installment has a much stronger sense of science fiction than the prequel does. The cloud cities are smo
Lexxi Kitty
There’s something about the book description, not that I could point at what I mean, that always both drew me to the book and kept me from actually starting it. I did previously read the prequel to the series, though, a good long while ago. It’s more of a vague memory at this point, though.

So – as the book description notes, this book is a two person point of view book that involves something of a clash of cultures, cultures that haven’t really interacted with each other in about a hundred year
Lex Kent
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Stars. This is the first Vaun book I have read and I enjoyed it. It had a cool dystopian, futuristic type feel. The whole floating cities was a great idea.
There is 3 main characters, so it throws a little bit of a wrench into the romance. All of the characters are tied together and you are not sure who is going to end up with whom. The pairing that does take off, I really liked. The connection was obvious as was the chemistry. They do fall in love pretty quickly, but it worked in this book
Justina Johnson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f, romantic, sci-fi
I just finished 'All Things Rise' and it is certainly one of the best love stories I have ever read. My heart is still pounding and my eyes are still tearing, but the love I feel is so thrillingly alive. By the way, this is a rather ingenious story from the future, too, with concepts and constructs that will have me pondering for many days to come. Most assuredly, this is one story that should definitely not be missed. Enthralling!

Cole, Ruth Coleman George, resides on the planet Earth. Interesti
Ty
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This could have been a unique reading experience, but it ended up spending too much time on the romance and not enough time developing the dystopian setting that could have provided a lot more tension in the plot. Because of that imbalance, this ended up feeling like a typical romance in a different setting, but with no real reason for that setting to exist. That said, I liked Vaun’s writing, and given that this is a series, I’m hopeful the other books will utilize the setting more.
Netty
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think that's the first book in a long time where I haven't rolled my eyes at the end, I really enjoyed it, I thought all the characters were great and even the sex didn't bore me, honestly I could have carried on if it had been longer, I didn't like the angst but you can't have everything and maybe it wouldn't have been as good without it....

Top marks......
Regina
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very simple love story, with no complications at all. I think the book summary is very misleading though. It makes the book sound like a huge futuristic adventure with hard choices and what have you, but it has none of it, lol.

What it has is a very straightforward love at first sight - country girl meets city girl in city, both fall in love almost immediately, city girl leaves country girl, city girl becomes miserable, city girl moves across the world (or in this case from the cloud c
ѦѺ™
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."- Albert Einstein

Ruth Coleman George or Cole has lived all her life on the ground with her aunts Ida and Vivian. when a cruiser crashes near their farm, she meets and rescues Ava Wayne, a commercial pilot. while getting used to her new surroundings, Ava witnesses an attack on Cole. Ava takes her immediately to the Cloud City of Easton for emergency surgery where Cole later encounters Dr. Audrey Jameson. the meeting of these three women
Loek Krancher
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply beautiful!

Two different worlds meet each other. One coming from the floating city and the other from the ground. It was the simple life versus a manufactured life, real food vs. sterile food. There was an immediate attraction but the barrier was very high. It was all complicated but true love knows his ways. The author takes you right into the story. You didn't want to put it down. It was a fantastic read and I highly recommend this to all of you who loves romance, hot women, beautiful su
Kate
Avery Rose Rose
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesfic
Another hit released from the Bold Strokes Books family! Described as sic-fi-lite by the author don't be fooled by the premise of a futuristic world with advanced technology. This story is all about connections, love, and human emotions in general. Well-written with characters that felt real enough to touch or call in the middle of the night, this was a lovely story about how two people can overcome huge obstacles, fears and adversity to make, what is in my opinion, one of the purest creations t ...more
Deirdre S.
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Could have gone deeper into characters, and the two cultures. The romance was a bit to much of what my mother called "love before first sight". Glad to note this seems to be the first in a series, so maybe that deeper exploration will come in later books... Not sure I am going to be standing in line for the next volume, though.
A'Llyn
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
An entertaining little romance, set in an interesting if roughly sketched world.
ConsultingStag
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction, mm, ff
Would you be willing to leave your whole life behind to follow your heart into an uncertain future?

2.5 Stars for this easygoing, romantic read.

I got this as a free read in exchange for a honest review.

Clickety click for more reviews from me. U know u want to do clickety click

The story takes place in an post-dystopian future where the wealthy build floating cities. Now humanity is divided into those living on the ground and those living in Cloud Cities.

Cole, a girl living on the ground with her t
Gina
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2015
Cole lives a quiet, simple life on the ground. When Ava crash lands near Cole’s family farm, it seems like a stroke of luck after Cole suffers an attack and needs to be transported to the Cloud City of Easton for emergency surgery. Once there, Cole meets Audrey, Ava’s best friends, and sparks fly literally and figuratively.

I have been looking forward to this book. I follow author Missouri Vaun’s blog and leading up to the release (and post release) she posted a lot of different sketches of chara
Sumayyah
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

100 years after the collapse of big oil and industry, humanity has fled the ground for the skies. Living in floating "cloud cities", they eat synthetic food, wear synthetic clothing, and live a peaceful life. Ava, a pilot, flees her city in an effort to clear her mind after a botched attempt at intimacy with a long time friend. She crashes into the ground, and meets Cole, a young woman who helps her aunts run a farm.
Art Roche
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book!! It’s been a while since I read a story that was so engaging and heartfelt. All Things Rise impressed me with well-drawn characters, interesting visuals, and some of the best love scenes I’ve ever seen. As a straight male, I normally wouldn’t be seeking out this type of book, but as a sci-fi nerd, I really enjoyed it!

Vaun does a masterful job of developing her characters from the inside out. We feel what they feel, their conflicted natures, their fears, their quiet, unspoken truths.
KA
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Man, what a fantastic debut novel! I'd been anxiously awaiting it's release and read it from start to finish that first night. There's nothing quite like a tender lesbian love story...except maybe one set in the distant future like All Things Rise. Missouri's voice is fresh and her story is engaging. Her characters are well-developed and lovable. This author may be the new kid on the block, but judging from this novel, she's the one to watch!
Tq
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great story and romance. Amazing is the best description I have. All Things Rise is a story you will enjoy getting lost in. I'm excited to read more from this author. At first I thought it was sic-fi but it really isn't. If you like sci-fi, you'll still enjoy this read. I highly recommend it. Very well written and will keep you turning pages. The only disappointment I had was that it ended.
Nolly  Sepulveda
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story, the characters were likable and the pace was steady. Like in many cultures today people tend to judge others before getting to know them or experiencing their lives. I was happy with the outcome for Cole and Audrey and hope to be reading Ava's story soon. Great work.
Susan
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
How refreshing. A post-apocalyptic novel that does pile on the doom and gloom of zombies or killer gangs.
K.B. Draper
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yep. Yeppidy. Yep. Yep. Can't wait to read more from Missouri!
Alena
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Missouri Vaun is easily one of my favorite authors! I became invested and fell in love with the characters in All Things Rise. I look forward to seeing where Missouri's typewriter takes them next.
Tony
Dec 29, 2015
Tara
Apr 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Missouri Vaun is a lesbian romance writer. PROXIMA FIVE is out now: bit.ly/Prox5b. A lesbian romance set on a faraway planet.

Vaun spent a large part of her childhood in southern Mississippi, before attending high school in North Carolina and college in Tennessee. Strong connections to her roots in the rural South have been a grounding force throughout her life. Vaun spent twelve years finding her

Return to Earth (3 books)
  • The Time Before Now (Return to Earth #0.5)
  • Valley of Fire (Return to Earth #3)
“I imagined a time when being gay is as unquestioned and un-judged as is having blue eyes. Some might call it fantasy or science fiction. I’d like to think it’s the future.” 22 likes
“Love is the greatest unseen force in the universe." - Cole” 4 likes