Start by marking “The Bride Lottery” as Want to Read:

Forty Bachelors.
Fifteen Brides.
What could go wrong?

EVELYN IS IN A PICKLE.
In less than five months, Evelyn Brandt will be an unwed mother. Her parents discover her secret and send her away on the next west-bound train. They insist she deliver the child on the other side of
Published July 30th 2014 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Lottery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Lottery

Alisa
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Daughters of New Money did not give birth and raise a child without benefit of marriage. Which is why Evelyn Brandt's father is sending her from their home in New York to his brother's home in California until the baby is born and adopted by an upstanding couple. And then she will return home, having been "abroad for educational refinement." That is her father's plan.

But Evelyn has another plan... She can't stand to part with this baby. So when she meets up with some mail order brides on the tra
Susan Waters
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am always amazed at the dynamics of family and choices made. I had so many questions early in the book about family members and their choices which the author allowed me to dwell on and fuss over before providing the answers. I love the time period of this story, when women had a place not just in society, but in their homes and families. For one, it is a remarkable journey from a place of wealth and societal judgment to a place in the heart. For the other, a journey of acceptance. This book i ...more
Karen
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Sweet story about potential brides invited to a mining camp 'town'.

Sam nursing a bruised heart is running the show, keeping the roudy bunch inline refuses to participate.
Evelyn, high society girl, shipped off in disgrace decided to get off the train, join the brides with a possible solution she may keep her babe.
Sam in protection of Evelyn offers courtship but winds up offering more. However, they both have difficulties in their pasts & potential trouble shows up on the stage together.

Small
Sandy
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

I just love the Mail Order Bride stories as things were actually done this way and there were many marriages that were a total success. They make the way things go now look very bad.
Sandra Whittiker
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bride Lottery (Prosperity's M/O Brides Book 1),

The idea of a Bride Lottery is a very unique perspective that was very entertaining to try to envision through this story. For whatever reasons that these brave women decided to go not only to the gold camps in Colorado but all over the west, the following generation would not be here if they were not so willing to seek their own fate and make their own version of history, even if this story may be fiction, the articles that the author used in h
Nana Kitteh
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

I enjoyed the story and the characters well. It is well written and the writing flows as it should. This is the story of a young lady who thought she found the one only to find herself pregnant and the father long gone. Her parents send her away to have the baby and give it up for adoption so she can come home and marry their choice of husband. On the train she makes a detour and find her future.
Atiat Lamptey
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart stopped

This was such a good story, but when Octavia showed up, I had stop reading for a few days..and her parents..."double whammy". I loved her parents, couldn't stand them in the beginning but they truly redeemed themselves in the end. I also didn't anticipate "Pickle Pike's" turn around...that was awesome. Really well written, totally enjoyed.
June Helmholtz
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristin Holt is an awesome author!!! Prosperity's Mail Order Brides is an excellent read Can't wait to read the next book of this series. There is so much wit, humor and love in this novel.

I'm sure you will enjoy this love story as much as I have. Please refer this novel to family and friends.
Meg
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*
A well-plotted story of a journey to true love which is never smooth, this book encompasses many of society's mores of the time. I really enjoyed reading it and staying with the twists and turns of fate in it. This is the first book I have read by Kristen Holt and I will not hesitate to read another!
Maria Thomas
2.5 stars. This one was predictable and pretty much insta love. The whole premise of the book is based on premarital sex since the lead is pregnant and abandoned by the cad father as well as her family. There is no sex in the book though. There is crudity which is inevitable since it takes place in a mining town and there aren't enough women for the men.
Bonnie Barr
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read.

A great read. Enjoyed the description of the country and a time when it took a special solution to get brides to the men on the frontier. I can only imagine how the women felt about this new adventure.
Ruth
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and clean historical romance. I would have liked to see a bit more from the POV of the parents when they realize (view spoiler)
Lynda
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, mail-order
This book "gushed" too much which made the characters unbelievable and at times un-relatable. I truly like Christian books but the people in the book must feel "real". Good idea for a mail-order bride story. Just too over the top in "godliness".
Mary Gallo
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story to begin series

I love a good series that has such a strong beginning. Here is a spoiler, how many books can there be when there are 39 miners, 14 brides came in this book and 20 are supposed to arrive next book? I hope there are a lot of stories there.
Mary Longoria
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bride Lottery: Mail order brides

Several funny stories of adventure and struggles to win one of a number ladies looking for a husband and a family.
Rachel
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, interesting read. I enjoyed it.
Jennifer Brewer
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and historically accurate

I really enjoyed this book. It was very well written and moved along at a good pace.
The characters were all developed well.
Carrie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An okay romance.
Jeri
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, westerns
Sweet romance. Mail order bride finds the only man in town who doesn't want to get married...
Susan P
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Light romance.
Linda
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Kristin Holt's book, The Bride Lottery. It is an easy one sitting read at only 176 pages. Holt does a good job of describing what times were like in 1881 when new mining camps were starting and men were looking for wives. This story is a sweet and clean romance.
Patricia
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A very mild book, this takes one of the oldest stories, around the block one more time, with grace and dignity.
Ms Holt creates a group of colorful men, and adds a smattering of women. The female lead (Evelyn) is relatively well-defined prior to their meeting, while small bits and pieces of the hero (Sam) are revealed for most of the book. Just how much she changed between the beginning and end are almost totally concealed, while the true wealth of his maturation is suddenly brought into question
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Fairly predictable, but cute story. Evelyn finds herself in trouble when her beloved leaves her expecting a baby. She is shipped out west only to come home when her condition is remedied. Sam is helping run a lottery for mail order brides. He wants nothing to do with marriage- he has been hurt too much to ever want to marry. Evelyn meets the brides to be on the train and decides to throw her fate in with theirs so she can marry and keep her baby.
Of course the only man she is interested in is Sam
namericanwordcat

I love a good Mail Order Bride (or Groom) Romance. This one was good if predictable and then it stalled into mundane a bit annoying.

I really hate added in conflict when two people who don't really know each other and the backstory each bring is enough. There is a moment in the book where are I just groaned because we had to deal with the OW (Other Woman). Why? I would have instead like to have couple time and seen the leads actually fall in love.

The writer shows promise and I might try the next
Asteropê
Just as promised, it was a sweet/clean romance. I thought it was well written and I enjoyed the story. There was a bit of drama with the overly forward suitors and the other woman, but that seems pretty common with these sorts of stories. At least the ones I've read. The drama and obstacle between the couple often taking this form. I do wish there was more Evelyn and Sam bonding, though. All in all, not a bad story.
Susan Robinson
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, different. A pregnant girl who becomes a mail-order bride. Good story. Serendipitous that her parents would appear the same time as Sam's previous almost fiancé. I would have like to have more in the story how he finally convinced Octavia and her "guard" to leave. I did like how her parents (especially father) came around and actually helped Sam and Evelyn reconcile. Fun read.
Sally L. Moran
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bride Lottery

I really thought the book was written well and I enjoyed the story very much. Your characters so down to earth just what you thought of those days. Thanks for a good story.
Jody
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
A group of mail order brides bound for a mining "town", gets an extra lady. After the way her father acted, I can't blame her for stepping into the unknown to make her future her own! Sam has a past with high society ladies and holds himself out of the lottery. Well until Evelyn changed his mind.
Barbara O'Neal
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bride lottery

Pretty good book just not with the spark I wanted. Never did really fall in love with any of the characters but not bad reading maybe I'm just tired of reading mail order bride stories
Shirley Henning
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable but I loved it.

Yes, predictable as usual but different too so it kept my interest. I loved Sam's character and his gentleness. You will love this if you love reading about mail order brides.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 04, 2017 02:26PM
  • Mail Order Love
  • Handpicked Husband (Texas Grooms, #1)
  • The Bewitching of Amoretta Ipswich (Three Little Girls Dressed in Blue)
  • The Lullaby: Shaina's Story (Family of Fire, #1)
  • Mail-Order Marriages: Rocky Mountain Wedding\Married in Missouri\Her Alaskan Groom (Alaska, #3)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Mail Order Bride Collection
  • Her Prairie Knight (Prairie Brides #2)
  • Western Kisses
  • Beauty (Everland Ever After, #3)
  • A New Beginning (Kansas Crossroads #1)
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • Lonesome Bride
  • Mitch's Win (Montana Collection, Book 1)
  • Lina (Mail-Order Brides of the West #4; Montana Sky)
  • Sarah: Bride of Minnesota (American Mail-Order Bride #32)
  • Laura (Clover Springs Mail Order Brides, #5)
  • Montana Born and Bred
Kristin Holt, USA Today Bestselling Author writes Sweet Victorian Romance set in the American West. She writes frequent articles about the nineteenth century American west--every subject of possible interest to readers and amateur historians. She contributes monthly to Sweet Romance Reads, Sweet Americana Sweethearts, and Romancing the Genres.

~ Sweet Romance Appropriate for All Audiences ~