Start by marking “Sweet Caroline” as Want to Read:
Sweet Caroline

Sweet Caroline

(Lowcountry Romance #1)

Caroline serves others with little time to enjoy the sweeter parts of life. Until her old boyfriend returns to town--and she's given a second chance at first love.

Life hasn't always been so sweet for Caroline Sweeny.

She's sacrifice her desires for others--unlike her mother who abandoned their family years ago. But when a friend challenges her to accept an exciting job adve
Published February 12th 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2008)

Michelle
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect with this story. At first I thought it would be a straight chick lit, and in some ways it was. However, Sweet Caroline touched me in a deeper place than most lits do. I actually got choked up a few times. I rarely do these days. There were some very funny moments, some truly enjoyable girl times, and some romantic interludes that sizzled and popped. Best of all, though, was a spiritual awakening and a discovery of one's place in this world that was breathtaking and y ...more
Margaret Chind
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone making tough life choices in need of some guidance
Recommended to Margaret by: CFBA
Sweet Caroline is quite the book, and she is quite the person. She is a normal human being, in a normal life. Tough decisions need to be made, and only Christ knows if she is making the right choices. This book grips your heart and doesn't let it go. I love it from the heart-head-ear conversations to the screaming in my head what I thought she should do. :) This story of a girl in her late twenties growing up is something that anyone could benefit from reading. Caroline's situations remind me of ...more
Caroline Perez
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really sweet and lovable. I really didn't think it would end the way it did, which was okay, but I can see the author continuing Caroline's story.
Candice
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book! I, literally, laughed out loud in at least every chapter. The main character was hilarious. I have to admit though, the surprise ending threw me for a loop. The ending was satisfying, all loose ends were tied by the last page, but I'm dying to know what becomes of the characters next. Maybe it mentions this in "Love begins with Elle"? I will have to read it to see. :)
Mandi
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed. I've already read the other books in the series (also great!) so it was nice to finally read the 1st one & get the full story 😊 (they are not fully stand-alone books)
Becki
I read the ebook. The breaks in time weren't really clear within the chapters, and I think that messed with the flow and enjoyment of the book for me.
I did really like the characters.
Cheryl
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Something was lost in translation between print and ebook with this. Words were hyphenated in the middle of lines and scenes changes without warning. I was reading words like managed as man-aged and they didn't make sense. Also one minute Caroline and Mitch would be walking together and all of a sudden Caroline would be climbing her tree to think. What! Where did that come from!

As for the story itself, Caroline was too indecisive for me and the religious part felt really forced at first. I did l
Susan
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at a sale some time back and placed it in my "to-be-read" pile. I found it a great summer read and am glad I picked it up now. For those who enjoy Christian Fiction, it has the faith element woven into it, but not in a cheesy way that some books in this genre do. In fact, I felt this book was about real people with real problems and real feelings. I like that about Hauck's writing. This book was published in 2008 and is followed by two more romance novels set in the Lowcoun ...more
Kristen
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
2 1/2 Stars -

Very slow start for me...picked up a little in the middle-end.

I don't know if it the kindle version (probably), but it was very confusing at times. We would be in one place with characters talking, then all of the sudden in the next joining paragraph we are in a totally different situation... The Christian aspects were a little too preachy.

Romance was a little weak, didn't give a good happy concluding ending, don't know if this is going to be a sequel or not...just ok for me.

Mora
Jaclyn
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, christian
This book was a good distraction for me when I needed a fast, easy read. Caroline is a people pleaser who can't say no to anyone, and always puts off her own plans and dreams for others. Now she's been offered the opportunity of a lifetime, a job in Barcelona with one of her best friends. The only problem is: she's just inherited the Cafe she used to work for, and her long time love is back in town. Will Caroline finally put herself first? And what does that mean exactly?
Deanna
Jan 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Cute at times, but just to over the top for me. The main character has to choose between two completely hot guys who are after her (one a famous country star). Also whether she should take a job with the Donald Trump of Europe who thinks she's wonderful, despite the fact that she has no experience, education, foreign travel background, connections or even lived out on her own, or stay and own her own business that she received for free and starts doing great under her Midas touch.
Nancy H Vest
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though this is categorized as a romance, I didn't see it as one. To me, it was a story of a woman facing some difficult choices. The ending was not what I was expecting, but it was believable and left several possibilities open for what could happen next.

The story is told with a single POV and it is told in present tense. I liked that! It's different!
Jenny
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Started out okay and then went downhill slowly but gradually all the the way to an unsatisfying end.
Chesney
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the book. Great characters and I love that is has a South Carolina feel. I was disappointed in the end though. It left you you hanging and I didn't like it.
Jenny
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic!!! funny love story and friendship too. And let's not forget car naming. Great Novel I love her!!
Cookielover
Perfect mix of something totally more than sweet. I loved the characters and everything.
Cathy Daniel
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing, wonderful book! I cried and laughed ( the racing scene was hysterical to me lol) I can't wait to read book #2!
Grace Tolman
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
First off, I wished I would have read this one first. I read the second one in this series last year so now I am so eager to reread it just because the ending in this one felt like it was not totally finished yet. That being said, I felt like Caroline was a character that was very relatable and likable. Her need to help out everyone but herself seemed like a weakness sometimes, but overall you cannot really find fault with someone that is that charitable and kind.
I felt the storyline taking me
Sharon
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top Ten favorite book

I am a romance novel addict! My day is not complete without at least a few chapters of a good clean happily ever after. So when I say this is in my top ten, that’s not for lack of serious competition! I just read this book for the second time and think I loved it even more than the first. Love Caroline’s big heart and crazy humor. Love the unique characters and South Carolina charm. Love the friendships from all ages. Love that good always triumphs over evil. Love that virtu
Mary Schenk
I enjoyed parts of this book however, there were more parts I didn't enjoy! First of all I didn't enjoy the narration because it jumped back and forth between a third person narrative to regular narration. Second I'm not a fan of how God was brought into this book! A majority of what I read is Christian fiction and there are so many other books that bring God to light in a better way. Lastly I don't know about anyone else but that ending was horrible very disappointed! I have read dining with Jo ...more
Sue Peacock
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caroline's Inheritance

Caroline's life changed when one man died--she inherited a cafe on its last leg, and she met Jesus. When her old flame returned to town after nine years in which he became a country music sensation and renewed his faith, she had to choose between the opportunity to work her dream job in Spain or marry the love of her life. I did not want the story to end, and especially wanted it to fast forward into the HEA that was meant to be. Love all of Rachel Hauck's books and the mes
Katie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jenny Smith
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I do enjoyed this book. Identifying with codependent tendencies, I enjoyed her bravery in stepping out in faith! I completely laughed out loud in the middle of the night reading chapter 19!
Johazel Ehnes
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy reading this book. Caroline has such a big heart to help those that really have a need. She is a great example for anyone. While we as individuals need to take care of ourselves we can do that better if we keep being kind in this world. Our needs will be taken care of.
Melanie
A fun story about a woman living in a small town. The people she knows and the humdrum way of life. A bit of comedy and humor mixed in. The book overall was ok and would only appeal to very specific readers: those how enjoy romance and humor.
Leanne
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable story but I was disappointed with the ending until I realized it is the first in a series.
Janet Friesner
Wonderful feel good book

Light and easy reading. A wonderful story of love and giving and finding God's will for your life. Highly recommended.
Cynthia Horn
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hauck-rachel
This book made me laugh out loud! Wanted a different ending. Hopefully that happens in the next book of the series. May be one of my new favorite writers when looking for something not too heavy.
Tina Cobabe
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

I enjoyed the book. It had a great story line that included the strength of the main character and romance.
Sandi
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Probably would give this a 3.5! A sweet little book!
Q&A with Rachel H...: is there more to the story? 2 9 Apr 29, 2013 12:14PM
  • Only Uni (Sushi, #2)
  • Love Lifted Me (Songbird, #3)
  • Dreaming in Black & White (Phoebe Grant, #1)
  • Stealing Adda
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Surrender Bay (Nantucket, #1)
  • Nothing but Trouble (PJ Sugar, #1)
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2)
  • Save the Date
  • What a Girl Wants (Ashley Stockingdale, #1)
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
New York Times, USA Today & Wall Street Journal Bestselling author Rachel Hauck writes from sunny central Florida.

A RITA finalist and winner of Romantic Times Inspirational Novel of the Year, and Career Achievement Award, she writes vivid characters dealing with real life issues.

Her book, Once Upon A Prince, was made into an original Hallmark movie.

She loves to hear from readers. She also love

Lowcountry Romance (3 books)
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)