Start by marking “The Farrier's Daughter (Irish Witch #1)” as Want to Read:
The Farrier's Daughter (Irish Witch #1)

The Farrier's Daughter

(Irish Witch #1)

In 16th Century Ireland. Young and beautiful Alainn McCreary, healer in training to the powerful O’Brien Clan, is on the cusp of discovering she possesses vast and unusual supernatural powers, which she hopes will help her unlock the secrets of her past and break the curse on the O’Brien Clan.

Alainn is counseled to hide her magical abilities, but how can she when dark forc
Published July 6th 2014 by FriesenPress (first published June 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Farrier's Daughter, please sign up.
Asteropê Are you in the UK? Amazon lists it as:
Kindle Price: £2.99
Paperback: £7.99

If you're not in the UK, it'd be h…more
Are you in the UK? Amazon lists it as:
Kindle Price: £2.99
Paperback: £7.99

If you're not in the UK, it'd be helpful to know what country or region, so people can provide you with accurate and relevant links or advice. ;-)(less)

Start your review of The Farrier's Daughter (Irish Witch #1)
Kerry
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A real page turner of a book about a girl with magical powers, her life, friends, love & secrets waiting to be unearthed. A love story fraught with difficulties and danger. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to finding out what the next book in the series has in store.
I wanted to give this book 3.5 stars but my app doesn't let me give 1/2 stars.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, magic-fae
***I received this book courtesy of Netgallery in exchange for an honest review***

An example of a book with no direction.

Nothing happens in the book except self reflection and overly descriptive description and repetition. We know what Alaina thinks, what Killian thins, what the maid think, what the chieftain thinks, we know how many children the cook has, what kind of weapon the captain's son uses, things that in no way contribute to the story. We know Alaina grows herbs, just incase we forget,
The Word Nerd Reviews Blog
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing

A wonderful beginning to what promises to be a compelling new series.

I found it hard to believe that this was Leigh Ann Edwards’ debut novel. It was just so well written and polished it seemed to come from a much more experienced writer.

Other reviews have criticised this book for its lack of action. Yes, action wise there isn’t much until the last chapter. However, to me, this book serves as an introduction to the world and the characters that live in it. This book is dedicated to character deve
B
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down! Loved the fantasy of it all! Can't wait for the second part ...more
Clare O'Beara
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Take care as this would appear to be a book for YA fantasy readers, but it contains much adult activity and discussion. Set during the 1500s in Ireland, the book doesn't actually show us the farriery trade but follows a herb-witch girl. She lives on the outskirts of a wealthy family's community, like many others providing services, and the priest and men who would rather control women keep a sharp eye on her activities. When a young son of the landowner takes a romantic fancy, the trouble is tha ...more
Melody Kaban
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. I highly recommend this book. Romance, witchcraft, and excellent writing. Can't wait for the next book in the series. ...more
K
**There will be spoilers.** Stop now if you want some ignorance of plot. Some I have approporiately hidden behind spoiler tags, others I couldn't avoid talking about in my discussion.

Based on the summary, I thought this would be a great book for me. I was looking for some celtic historical fiction with magic thrown in, and thats what the description promised.

What I got, felt like a rough draft of a not fully thought out story. There were elements strewn about that I liked in concept, but the exe
Coco.V
Apr 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/18/2020)! 🎁
Paula
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Farrier's Daughter by Leigh-Ann Edwards is the debut book by this rising star writer. Ms. Edwards dedicates this book to two strong women in her life, of course so I expected that the main character, Aliann would be strong. What I didn’t expected was to fall so in love with this character while she was still a young child. The opening scene just between Aliann and Killian simply stole my heart and sealed support for these two not matter what else happened.

What else I didn’t expect was how t
Rosemary K
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Killian O'Brien is near death. He doesn't want to live. Not after the death of his family. When he meets the witch child, Alainn McCreary, she heals him. She too is alone abandoned by her parents. As they grow up they form a bond and fall in love, but they have no future. He is the nephew of the laird and a man of substance and she is a servant and the farrier's daughter. I liked Alainn. She's feisty and fierce in her opinions of the male dominated world she lives in. The magic that she possesse ...more
Kerry Croucier
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first book in the Irish Witch series introduces us to Alainn McCreary and Killian O'Brien. Young Killian is near death when 7-year-old Alainn heals him, thus beginning a lifelong friendship between the two, of different classes, in 16th Century Ireland. Alainn is afforded many opportunities that others in her station don't have. She also has beauty and magical abilities, that her mentor counsels her to hide. Given opportunities that others don't have, she grows up side-by-side with Killian a ...more
Savannah
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely recommend.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I don’t often write reviews and I read a lot, so that says something right there. I have yet to read any of her other books but a solid series starter if you ask me, I want to go back for more! I could say a lot about this book but you should just read it yourself and find out!
Elisabeth
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Farrier's Daughter by Leigh Ann Edwards is a fantasy romance story. The Farrier's Daughter is book one in The Irish Witch Series and is not a stand alone book. Book two, The Witch's Daughter takes of where The Farrier's Daughter ends. So if you don´t like "cliff hangers" or this type of stories where they simply continues from book, to book, don´t begin on this series.
But, if you on the other hand love fantasy romance stories this one is a really good one. It´s well written, flows of the pa
Shari
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Farrier's Daughter, book one of the Irish Witch series is a page turner. Loved the characters of Alainn and Killian, they have known each other for years, now they have fallen in love. Alainn is a very strong willed witch that is not afraid to stand up for herself. Loved the romance and the magic. Wonderful history and description that will keep you entertained.

This is a cliffhanger, so get ready to read the next book in the series. This is not my typical read but so happy that I read out
Kathleen Pullano
Great quick read! I loved this book. The writer was able to transport me to the time of the events. The language was colorful and vivid. The plot moved along nicely. I truly enjoyed my time spent. I just purchased the second in the series!

Maureen Hoar
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the characters and the plot. Allain is quite the heroine. Killian I hope will live up to her loyalty. The priest and the chieftain need a come to Jesus moment. Pure evil. I found the way women and the poor were treated in that time period to be awful. I'm thankful I live in this era.
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Awesome

Awesome read with twists and turns as witch craft and magic reveal family lineage secrets while young love is tested.
Bobbie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I really enjoyed about this book was the well developed, and the fantastic yet believable magic! To me, what makes a fantasy book great is if I can suspend disbelief and be pulled into the world the author creates. With Edwards' book that's exactly how it is. Check it out for an entertaining read! ...more
Sarah Marshall Malluck
Ended too soon

This is such a good read. The way the story develops and broadens keeps the reader entranced. I am glad I found this book and encourage others to take a chance on this novel.
Jocelyn Erbach)
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. A bit of a new relationship blooming and bit of magic while the main character discovers who she is. And what she’s capable of. Never a lull in the story. I already bought the next 2 books in the series and look forward to reading them.
Mary Jo
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good reading

Just the kind of fairytale that's easy-to-read , with Just enough adversity to keep it interesting and believable. The end
Mary
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was full of magic, romance, danger and the storyline was great. Loved it.
Jordan
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hate when they end books at cliff hangers... so mean.
Susan Watson
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness my sister gave me the entire series! Read the first book in a couple of days and loved it! On to the next one.
Pam
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story of historical Ireland; the ways of the people, their beliefs, and secrets. The author writes so that you can empathize with the characters, understand their plights, and interests you with the history. At that time, magical ways were feared yet could be respected in the ways of healing, a fine line. Alainn McCreary is a powerful young woman coming into her own as a healer in training. She is outspoken, though, and a woman can find herself in danger and she does. When the O’Brien Clan’s C ...more
Linda
The debut of a new magical fantasy series set in sixteenth century Ireland featuring witches, a swoony hero, an evil curse and fairies!

“He snorted. "He fears you? Why ever would he fear a small girl like you, and his own daughter?"
She napped her eyes back up and whispered, "Because, I know of magic."
Heather
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this book rather heartbreaking. The main character is a girl who wants to find her place and be independent in a world where the deck is stacked against her. She finds love and acceptance with her childhood friend, a young noble man, and for a time it is wonderful. Although, as a reader you realize this can only end in heartbreak.

I found myself unable to put this book down as I enjoyed the story of magic and the development of many of the characters and their motivations. However, I kne
Chuck Matthews
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The start of a fascinating story

Much recent literature in fantasy and science fiction has included strong women as both main and supporting characters. I especially enjoy this story because Allain is strong and collected. She knows herself. She understand more than she thinks she does, and the story is one of discovery - both of the world and herself. While this is just the first book, I know I can look forward to continuing growth, insight, and a great story of feudal Ireland.
Trudi Jorda
This is the tale of Ireland and all the tales of magic that it encompasses! A tale of a young woman who thinks she is the daughter of the farrier but this is not really the truth! The truth is something that I cannot say as it would spoil the story. But I will say that she is in love with the Chieftan's Nephew who is not who he thinks he is. I am looking forward to hearing how this tale comes about in book 2! ...more
Debra Roth
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorcery, True Love, Nd Sorrow

This book was well written. It captures the readers attention and pulls them through an array of emotions. Excitement, sorrow, fear for the Carrier's daughter and the injustice she experiences.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 28, 2017 07:25AM

• Bound to Darkness (Shadow Bound, #1)
  • The Queen's Alpha Series Box Set: Books #1-3
  • Enchanted Immortals (Enchanted Immortals, #1)
  • Daughter of Havenglade (Daughter of Havenglade #1)
  • Catacombs (Academy of Ancients #1)
  • Witch's Bell 1 (The Adventures of Ebony Bell, #1)
  • Whiskey Witches (Whiskey Witches #1)
  • Fire Song (City of Dragons, #1)
  • A Date With Death (Conjuring a Coroner #0)
  • Prodigy (13 Covens, #1)
  • Dawn's Promise (Silent Wings #1)
  • Her Magic Touch (Celtic Rogues, #3)
  • Undercover Witch Academy: First Year
  • Edge of Magic (Tara Knightley, #1)
  • Magically Bound (Hunted Witch Agency, #1)
  • Dreadmarrow Thief (The Conjurer Fellstone, #1)
  • Dead at Twilight (Shaded Falls, #1)

Irish Witch (6 books)
  • The Witch's Daughter (Irish Witch #2)
  • The Chieftain's Daughter (Irish Witch #3)
  • A Chieftain's Wife (Irish Witch series # 4)
  • A Witch's Life (Irish Witch, #5)
  • A Witch's Quest (The Irish Witch Series Book 6)

News & Interviews

She napped her eyes back up and whispered, "Because, I know of magic."
Killian smirked. "Of course you know of magic, everyone knows of magic. We live in Ireland. Everyone knows of fairies and druids, and the like. Magic cannot be disputed, even if the priests do not take kindly to these beliefs."
"Aye, but I can do magic.”
1 likes
“What is it I can do to repay you for your deeds?" He watched a sweet smile spread across her rosy lips, and in those unforgettably magical blue eyes, he caught a mischievous sparkle he'd not noticed before.
"I will think of something, Killian O'Brien. One day, I am certain, I will think of a way.”
1 likes