Start by marking “Such a Pretty Face: Short Stories About Beauty” as Want to Read:
Such a Pretty Face: Short Stories About Beauty

Such a Pretty Face: Short Stories About Beauty

With stories by acclaimed and exciting new YA writers:
Louise Hawes
Mary Ann Rodman
Ellen Wittlinger
Jacqueline Woodson
Tim Wynne-Jones

"A stellar line-up of young adult writers examines our relationship with beauty in stories that haunt, amuse, stir, and fascinate."

A beauty queen with a
Published May 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Such a Pretty Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Such a Pretty Face

Start your review of Such a Pretty Face: Short Stories About Beauty
Merin Joy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book as we had to read 3 short stories from one anthology. The three stories I read from this book was 'Farang', 'How To Survive A Name' and 'My Crazy beautiful World'

The box on the bingo board which fills this is 'Three Poems Or Short Stories From One Anthology' This is interesting as you get to read a variety of stories and get to know the different characters with different stories from each anthology.

My favourite quote from 'Farang' is "...And a good heart too." I
Aleks Beygel
May 30, 2012 added it
Recommends it for: Any girl
Saniya Rawat
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a Pretty Face is a collection of short stories edited by Ann Angel. This realistic fiction collection makes for a good, short read for older teens. Some of the stories may be confusing for younger kids and contain mature topics. Although you may not find the beauty at first glance, you will eventually realize the morals and lessons that each story teaches. Read through as different authors teach you the meaning of beauty and how to find it, even in the most unexpected places. Each story ...more
Yaro
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is so far so good. It describes a teenagers life and what happens during her high school life.
Ryan Ausloos
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had read this book a few years ago because I was familiar with a few of the authors (as well as the editor) and was looking for some short stories that I could use both to engage my 10th grade students, particularly the girls, and provide some models for my creative writing students. I recently reread it as I am again working younger high school students. I'd recommend it.

The introduction immediately sets a tone that permeates the rest of the book with an anecdote by the editor that feels
Jessica | Booked J
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Full review/potential spoilers alert: http://bookgirl.co.vu/post/7318440456...

When I was in my early teens, I needed a book like this.

By the time I purchased it, however, I was nearing the end of my high school career. But even so… there’s something about (almost) each short story featured in Such a Pretty Face that touches my heart and makes me smile. It certainly made me feel like less of an idiot, and it made the memories of my early teenage days bug me less and
Aubree
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I finished reading "Such a Pretty Face" short stories that was edited by Ann Angel. The genere is non fiction. This book is a bunch of short stories about beauty one of the stories is about a young girl that has just moved to Thailand and has no idea what to whare to school or how to act. Another one of the stories is about a young girl that has never wanted to be a model but her mom was and she thinks I would be a good idea and would make her extra money for school.

I liked this book because
Kelly Moore
Read:
Bad Hair Day by Lauren Myracle - This story was very, very weird. I think she tried to use extreme weirdness for impact, but it didn't make the story good, just strange. I like strange things, but this seemed like a cop-out for thinking of a really interesting story.

Cheekbones by Ellen Wittlinger - I liked this one much more than the first story. The ending of this one was a little too cliche, but the rest of the story was really interesting - it offers a peek at the world of modeling, as
Az
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
i'm probably the wrong age range for this, as the parenthesis after the title informs me. i was hoping for a bit more grit, a bit more truth. it's rather watered-down. maybe i've read too much on beauty already--in the style of women's studies.

taking that into account, if you have five minutes and find this in a bookstore, read "Cheekbones" and "Bella in Five Acts". moreso the first than the second. why? because i loves me some honesty. "Cheekbones" has a better voice, "Bella" is better writing.
Jennell
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Sometimes it's nice to just read little pieces...especially when I'm feeling totally ADD after teaching. I liked how the stories took another look at beauty and what it means. Each piece is distinctly different.

The book's age recommendation is right on. I didn't feel uncomfortable about the stories' content, and that's not easy anymore to find.

Good reading. I didn't give this a five because a couple of the stories just felt unfinished and I was dissatisfied.
Sarah Mae
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great stories about what it means to be beautiful and not so beautiful. Sometimes funny, sometimes bittersweet and sometimes fanciful, all of these stories will make you question what beauty is.

Highly Recommended
dp
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult
funny stories, sad stories, poignant stories. loved it.
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Like other reviewers, this collection was very meh to me. Nothing really charmed me, none of the stories jumped out.
Miranda
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Another prime example of why I don't like short stories. I didn't ever get interested in any of the stories in this book. Even for a short-story collection, this one wasn't very good.
Tacey
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Not what I was looking for at this time.
Sarah Hannah
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
The editor of this book is a fantastic woman, and I met her when she had just started work on the anthology. Obviously I now have to read it.
Amy
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
unfortch, this is a meh for me. some short story collections are amazing because every story is good - this one not so much. uneven at best.
Ann
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It would be crazy to say anything less than these writers are stellar!
Hayleysdancer459
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
not so good. got bored really soon.
-Technicolor-Veins-
matthew sanchez
Jul 01, 2015
Chey Serrano
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
this book is ok but i wouldnt say it is the best book ive ever read
Zoe
Nov 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard, #1)
  • The Candymakers (The Candymakers, #1)
  • The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • Craig & Fred: A Marine, a Stray Dog, and How They Rescued Each Other: Young Reader's Edition
  • Extraordinary Means
  • I'll Be There
  • Minders
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
  • Let it Snow
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Moxie
When I'm not writing or teaching at a women's college in Milwaukee, I hang with my family which includes my four grown kids, my husband Jeff and a cat named Sparkie. Jeff, who was an only child, loved to be around my siblings when we were dating. Ann Angel was one of nine kids — he once said, "This isn't a family; it's an experience."