Start by marking “Fourteen Days” as Want to Read:
Fourteen Days

Fourteen Days

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Workaholic developer Richard Gardener is laid up at home for two week’s mandatory leave—doctor’s orders. No stress. No computers. Just fourteen days of complete rest. Bliss for most, but hell for Richard… in more ways than one.

There’s a darkness that lives inside Richard’s home; a presence he never knew existed because he was seldom there alone. Did he just imagine those f
Paperback, First, 192 pages
Published July 15th 2014 by Barking Rain Press

To ask other readers questions about Fourteen Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourteen Days

Natasa
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of a haunted house. Poor Richard, the main character and the only one seeing the ghost has gone through many circles of denial and acceptance of what he was seeing was true or not.

The story was pretry simple but I like how detailed his inside torment has been showen through these 14 days.

I'm glad the ending was sort of happy and that Nicky finally believes him lol

Thanks to the author for giving me a chance to read his work in return for my review.
I'll be happy to check out s
Steven Jenkins
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
If I do say so myself. Although I may be slightly biased....
Perry Lake
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghosts, horror
Reading Steven Jenkins’s new book, “Fourteen Days”, I’ve realized something curious.

The concept of this book is that a workaholic man is forced to stay at home for two weeks and the ensuing boredom drives him crazy. To get this across to the reader, the author is required to show the boredom, the meaningless tasks the hero employs to fill time, and the repetition. In other words, to make the reader feel the boredom, the story must be made boring.

Yet Jenkins manages to show his hero’s boredom wit
Doseofbella
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fourteen Days By: Steven Jenkins July 2014
Horror/ Thriller Reviewed by: tk

Richard Gardener has been burning the candle at both ends. Over worked, and over stressed causes Rich to collapse at work. While taking a much needed rest at home, 2 weeks in fact, Rich will experience more stress than he bargained for. Nicky, his wife thinks poor Richard needs this time off even more as he relates some strange, and unusual experiences he has had with the paranormal. Nicky just does't believe him.
Richard s
Keith
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r4r
Richard Gardener is a workaholic who is under doctor's orders to take two weeks off to recover from work-related stress. During his time home alone, he is visited by a stranger "from the other side".

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Two weeks. Fourteen days. Fourteen chapters. I was prepared to rate this book 3 stars as I found the first three-quarters quite flat. To keep reader interest, I felt perhaps more could have been done to aid the reader feel Richard's
Sam
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
SPOILERS Below:

I did enjoy this book,it's an easy but creepy read. My reason for 3 instead of 4 stars is because of a couple of things in the story that just weren't believable enough for me. Firstly when searching for Christina Long online nothing comes up, I mean really? A pregnant midwife goes missing in 2012 and there was nothing on the news,in newspapers or on social media about her? Secondly the ending in the farmhouse, Richard spends a lot of time scared in his house (& rightly so) bu
Plaguedoctor
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A pretty good story. It's better than I thought it would be. The plot line is a little cliched, but still enjoyable. The characters are likeable and have good development. I recommend checking it out and recommend to anyone who wants a something quick to read.
Peter
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
fourteen days, fourteen chapters, each one building the suspense to a thrilling conclusion!! I read this in a weekend,couldn't put it down,well written!!! Steven Jenkins builds the story excellently and makes it totally believable, its left me wanting more from this author!!
Buttons
I thought this would be a creepy horror story but I didn't find it especially frightening. It was a very short read and I enjoyed it, though it was clear from her very first words what she was seeking.
I do recommend this book, it has some horror and some mystery and suspense with a character struggling to adjust his reality and beliefs.
Laura Castelo
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-books
This book was slightly disappointing, I am actually quite surprised that it managed to gain quite high ratings and reviews on here. When I first read the description on Goodreads I was so intrigued by it and so excited to read it, but now that I've actually read the book, it was something completely different to what I first imagined. My rating is actually a 2.5, but there's no option to rate it that, so I'm sticking with 2 stars.

I thought there would be many more jump scares and actual "haunti
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, ghosts
This book reads as a very classic ghost story, and I loved that. Shadows darting in front of the shower curtain, phantom noises like a door opening, TV turning on and off by itself, odd dreams… All are present in this very scary tale. I loved how the author was able to portray a man caught in very supernatural events and how it affected him mentally and in his life, like his marital relationship. I connected with Richard fairly well. He seems like a very straightforward guy who’s a bit of a work ...more
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
This is the first book I've read by Steven Jenkins, and it was good enough that he's going on my list of Authors I Want to Read More Of. Mr. Jenkins does a fantastic job of building up the tension within a short amount of time. His characters are believable, he doesn't try to do too much with what he has, and the pacing is dead-on (pardon the pun.)

There were literally only two things that bothered me about the author's writing. Firstly, he tends to use the same descriptors again, instead of cons
Lu
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book!

This was a brilliant short story which kept me gripped till the end. The writing style is good and the flow of the book is done well too.

Steven Jenkins has done a particulaly good job of portraying the first few chapters where our leading protagonist Richard, is bored out of his skull on sick leave - yet Jenkins has written this in such a way that you really believe its a boring life, but the storyline is still there enticing you in. Very well done!

I love the pace of this book
Sue
This was another thrilling read by Steven Jenkins. The entire story takes places over the course of two weeks and is set predominantly in the apartment that Richard, the main character, shares with his wife. Richard is an extreme workaholic who puts his job above everything else. Due to circumstances beyond his control he is suddenly forced to take time off work, which is supposed to allow him some much needed rest and relaxation. However, the next two weeks are anything but restful. As he spend ...more
Chloe Hewlett
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review. I really do not want to give a bad review especially as the author has provided me with a copy but i want to be honest.

I was super excited to read this and even though it started off a bit slow i thought the tension would really build up and i wouldn't be able to put the book down. Unfortunately I was as bored as Richard was and all i wanted to do was read another book but as i was given a free copy of this, i thought i would a
Joanne Thompson
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Forced to take a 14 day vacation, workaholic Richard Gardener experiences the craziest, scariest and most stressful 14 days of his entire life. To a man who is used to being in complete control of the situation, Richard learns very quickly that he has no control over what is happening in his house, nor the woman who continues to visit him in his dreams, that is until Karen Leigh convinces him that he needs to communicate with her to find out why she's visiting him. This book is a great combinati ...more
Rachel Watts
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a risky novel for a lot of reasons. By documenting the minutae of Richard’s hideous boredom Jenkins could have turned off a lot of readers. But he makes it work as a gripping psychological thriller. As Richard’s perception of the house becomes more wracked with fear, and the apparitions become more inexplicable, the novel’s momentum belies the snail’s pace of the narrative. That slow build of tension and fear is what makes horror such a joy to delve into.

Full review here: http://leatherb
Deb
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty decent ghost story. I liked it. It picked me up and took me along for a ride. The story flowed well, and I like that it had an actual ending. Too many stories these days do not have real endings. I guess that is so they can come back with a series. I hate that! I read this book in one evening. It is not very long and a quick and easy read.
Daniel Powell
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!!

Great, intriguing prologue, followed by a very realistic look on real people, dealing with the stresses of being faced with a paranormal event.

Some of the reviews I've read have said that it's too slow. I completely disagree. It needs to have time to build up the tension.

If you like The Woman in Black, A Stir of Echoes, then you'll love this!!!!
Kelly Chuckles
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the second book from Steven, well written, fast paced, great chilling storyline and full of action!
Recommended my partner read it and he loves his historical books, after completing it he also enjoyed it!
Laura Newcombe
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story, spine tingling and very creepy with a great twist at the end. The characters were engaging and you could really appreciate how the main character felt and the disbelief at what is happening to him. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Judy Sheluk
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm going to admit that I'm not into paranormal or ghost stories and I bought this book thinking it was a mystery. That said, it was very well written and the pacing of the story was excellent. Just not my preferred genre.

Julie
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Quick read. Scary but could have been scarier! Some of it was too unbelievable to creep me out (if that makes any sense at all lol)
 (shan) Littlebookcove
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story, it's a story about spooky happenings to an everyday guy without giving to much away steven really sets the tone to what is a really spooky modern day tale.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Jan 05, 2016
Amy
Mar 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Horror Aficionados : Looking for reviews for paranormal horror 8 45 Aug 25, 2014 01:56AM
Horror Aficionados : Looking for reviews for paranormal horror 4 23 Aug 07, 2014 04:57PM
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • Paranormal Anthology with a Twist
  • Shining City
  • Quiet Houses
  • The Businessman
  • Sweetheart, Sweetheart
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
  • The Pirate Curse (Spirit Guide, #5)
  • Deadroads
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery
  • The Graveyard Speaks
  • Experimental Film
  • Dark Light
  • The Ghost Hunters (The Ghost Hunters #1)
  • Treasure Island
  • Dangerous Denial
  • Dead to the Max (Max Starr, #1)
Born in the small Welsh town of Llanelli, Steven began writing stories at the age of eight. His inspiration came from his love for ‘80s horror movies, and novels by Stephen King and the late Richard Matheson.

During Steven’s teenage years, as well as being a black-belt kickboxer, he became a great lover of writing dark and twisted poems – six of which gained him publications with Poetry Now, Browns