Start by marking “Bloodrush (The Scarlet Star Trilogy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodrush (The Scarlet Star Trilogy Book 1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Bloodrush

(The Scarlet Star Trilogy #1)

‘Good, strong writing. A solid read.’ – Mark Lawrence, author of the Broken Empire Trilogy

‘Galley has this fantastic ability to bring you into it all so slowly, so carefully, that you don’t quite realize your view of the world is shifting until it’s shifted. [Bloodrush] is unique, it’s highly entertaining, the pacing is superb, and the characters varied and a lot of fun to
Published December 16th 2014 by BenGalley.com (first published November 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodrush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodrush

Start your review of Bloodrush (The Scarlet Star Trilogy Book 1)
Mark Lawrence
This book came 2nd in my Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off contest

Read about the competition here.
See the contest ratings and reviews for the finalists.:

I can understand why the book was the favourite of 4 out of 10 judges in the contest and came 2nd from a field of 273.

I have praise for and gripes with almost every aspect of the book, though the praise outweighs the gripes.

Let's start with the cover, often a stumbling block for self-published work. It's a fine-looking cover and wouldn't look out
kartik narayanan
Bloodrush is an excellent western/fantasy hybrid with rich world building.

Really! The world building in this book is its stand out feature. Right from the time we encounter the protagonist and enter the Wild West, the details of the world stand out. I was totally engrossed for the first few chapters just find out more about it. Every new detail made me chuckle with pleasure.

The magic sorry, magick system is equally rich and as complex as any I have encountered before. The closest parallels I
Milo (BOK)
The Review Can Also Be Found Here: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c...

"When Prime Lord Hark is found in a pool of his own blood on the steps of his halls, Tonmerion Hark finds his world not only turned upside down, but inside out. His father's last will and testament forces him west across the Iron Ocean, to the very brink of the Endless Land and all civilisation. They call it Wyoming.

This is a story of murder and family.

In the dusty frontier town of Fell Falls, there is no silverware, no
Kitvaria Sarene
Much, much love and 4,5* for this one! 2016 really has mostly great books in stock for me.

It takes quite a while to really take off, but I was submerged right from the start anyway. So I won't take a star for it. If you are looking for a "thrown right in the action" start, you might mind it more than me though. It also has slower parts in the middle, where we just live day to day live in the desert town of Fell Falls with the main character - not much action in there either, but I found it quite
Ari
Finalist of #SPFBO. Read the full list of finalists here: http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk...

Summary: When 13-year-old Merion's father (the Prime Lord of the Britan counterpart in this alternate reality world) is killed, Merion is sent to America to live with his aunt, where he will learn about his magic and generally make a nuisance of himself, while trying to find out who killed his father.

Thoughts: This is not a bad book, mostly it is a not-for-me book. The writing itself was quite good.
Kareem
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bold, daring, fun and exciting!

I do loathe the rating system on here, what I would like to give this book is 4.5 stars, and so to hell with rules, it's getting 4.5. To elaborate on that, for me, if I give a book 3 stars it means I enjoyed it, if it gets 4 it means I really enjoyed it, if it gets 5 then it flat out knocked me on my arse.

This book is self published. Why say that you ask? Because it does not feel like it is. You hold this book and you know you are holding a quality product. While
Lanko
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This book is a coming-of-age tale of Merion Hark, a 13 year old boy who is forced to move to America during its famous era of cowboys, scalping native americans, railroads and saloons. Add to that supernatural elements, like faeries, blood-drinking people, shamans with real magic and guns and you have a very different mixture.

The prose is very well-written. The editing and proofreading were also great. The supernatural part adds a sense of mystery to the story. The magic with guns part in Old
Mihir
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mini-review over at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall rating - 3 & 1/2 stars

My original introduction to Ben’s writing was via his debut Emaneska series. With Blood Rush though, Ben takes an entirely new approach and gives us an alternate historical book that also acts strongly as a western. The story focusses on Tonmerion Hark, a 13-year old who is (sort of) banished to a foreign frontier land called Wyoming. Wanting to return to his British homeland, Tonmerion will have to try to fit in with
Rosalyn Kelly
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 rounded up!

Bloodrush is a weird west fantasy is set in the frontier town of Fell Falls, America. It’s on the edges of a dusty, desolate desert. There are guns, wild locals, and monsters called railwraiths that eat up the railway workers attempting to lay tracks to expand the empire. There’s also blood magic and faeries. Yep, faeries!

The tale centres on Tonmerion Hark, a young teenager who is sent to live with his aunt when his VIP father, Lord Hark, also known as the Bulldog of London and
Aaron Koelker
No story spoilers beyond what's on the back cover:

I accepted a review copy of this book because I've long fantasized the idea of writing my own Western/Fantasy mash-up. This first novel of "The Scarlet Star" trilogy mostly succeeds at combining the two, but it favors the fantasy aspect more so than western.

When I think of a western I think of lone, quiet drifters and traversing wide majestic landscapes with the clash of nature and civilization. All these points are hit upon within the
YV ✧
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the whole idea of magick, bloodrushing, it perks me up. i love the idea and willing to understand it deeper. the author is kind enough to give the explanation of bloodrush in the last pages!
and i even love world building which takes place in western period. good lord, i fall for Fell Falls even it is blasted hot, lol.
for these, it is worth for me to read.

Merion, the main character, that i couldn't work with. he was a childish, foolish, obnoxious, and whiny 13 year old boy. heaven's mercy, i had
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
I have to start off by saying that Bloodrush has one of the most original storylines that I have ever read.

"Welcome to the wild west, he thought. Last stop before Hell."

The story follows thirteen year-old Tonmerion Hark, Merion for short. The story begins in London, where we learn Merion's father has been murdered and Merion's life is again turned upside down as he learns he's to be sent to America to live with his aunt until he's old enough to take over his father's estate. Tonmerion and his
Lorraine
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read about family, friendship and magick with a ‘k’. Old secrets create mystery throughout the book and the characters really develop as the story goes on.
Jasper
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

I few weeks ago I was looking at new books to read and just went browsing on the internet and stumbled upon the excerpt of Bloodrush the latest book of self published author Ben Galley. After finishing it, I readily new that this is one of those books that lives up to my "reading motto" of that I like to read books where author don't go the distance but go the extra distance to produce something exciting, and this is precisely what
Surbhi Das
“What do you think of when we talk of magic?"
Merion scratched his head. "Rabbits in hats. Doves. Cards," he said.
"I would say you have atrocious spelling.”

I wouldn't have picked up this western fantasy if it weren't for the wonderful The Write Reads, so thank you so much for making me a part of this ultimate Blog Tour and for this Review copy!

So, did I like the book? Well, yes, for the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed Bloodrush. There were a
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ Tour. My review is voluntary and honest.

When 13-year-old Tonmerion Hark’s father, Prime Lord Hark, is murdered on their front steps Merion is sent to live with his last living relative, his aunt Lilain. The problem for Merion is that she doesn’t live in London. Or even in the Empire of Britannia. She lives across the Iron Ocean in the wilds of America, the New Kingdom. But not in one of the bustling cities. Oh, no. Poor privileged Merion has to trek all the way out to Wyoming and
Phil Leader
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, amazon
It is hard to describe this book purely because it appears to try to do too much.

It is set in an alternate universe where much is familiar but some things are very different.
It is a western, mostly set in an frontier town in Wyoming with the usual cast of restless townspeople, lone prospectors and ruthless land owners.
It is a fantasy involving faeries and magick

Yet in Galley's capable hands these elements are moulded into a seamless and thrilling story. All the different aspects fit together
Steven Poore
Weird West is a Thing. Though possibly not my Thing. To my eye the West doesn't get much more weird than Sergio Leone, and most westerns are jousts and mythic adventures dressed up in plaid shirts and buckskins, knights riding to save a damsel in distress from a fate worse than refried beans and a spitoon.

Or so the story goes. Which means that Ben Galley's mash-up of coming-of-age adventure, Brave New World voyages, and murderous goldhunting fairies in a vaguely parallel hybridised world where
Mark
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the start of the book it is clear the Tonmerion has a lot of mystery surrounding his life and especially with the events that lead him to having to travel to Fell Falls and it is intriguing how all the elements of the different characters in the book all flow back to his life directly through the friendships he has made. It will definitely be interesting to see the direction that this will take over the trilogy.
The mixture of 19th century America and the fantasy elements is so fluid and
Nino
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
During the middle of the book I planned on giving it only two stars, but by the end it was markedly better.

What I liked about the book:
This book mixes two genres that I like quite a lot - fantasy and western.
It reads quite easily.
There are some nice, well thought put characters characters.
And I did enjoy the time it was set in.
By the end of the book I felt like I wanted to read the second book in the series.
The fae element in the story.
The shohari are quite interesting.

What I did not like about
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Ben Galley sent me a copy of his ebook in exchange for an honest review.

This is a YA, historical (American Western?), and fantasy book with a touch of mystery. The protagonist's father is murdered and the protagonist is shipped off to America. The protagonist brings his fae friend with him, who has some political issues in the fae world. There's a lot going on, but it fits together well. In my opinion, the best part of this book is the world-building. It's skillful and interesting.

However,
Robert Lumpkin
So original....

I am huge fan of Ben Galley and truly enjoy his creative magic systems. In the Written books his mages had their magic tattooed on their bodies and in Bloodrush they drink blood. Great first book in a new series. I loved the interesting mix of western mixed with fantasy. In Mr. Galley's hands it work so well.
Marcus Costello
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western-fantasy
I have read alot of books and trying new series are always a hit and miss.

However on this occasion Ben has come up trumps. I loved his Emaneska series and now I think I love this series.

Its well written the characters are great, the magicK system is cool and disgusting and the western theme is awesome.

I would recommend this to anyone.
Lel Budge
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tonmerion Hark is expecting to inherit his father’s wealth and power after his death, but his father’s last wishes state he must go to America first……to Wyoming, the Wild West.

So at 13 years old, off he goes, he meets Rhin, a faerie who becomes his best friend…This is a western with a difference, a fantasy with a magickal element. (That’s magick with a K).

Tonmerion is a spoiled brat, who whines and moans about nearly everything….he won’t listen to advice and gets him into some awkward
Alex (Briennai)
Full review coming soon
Michael Miller
So this review is a bit overdue. I've been tossing and turning with whether I should review books now I have one published. I've decided to take the approach of writing some of my thoughts without leaving a star rating. Stars can be clunky and I think we too often look at them rather than what people actually think. With that out the way, here's what I thought of Bloodrush.

I rather liked it! Although I will say that it picked up at the 60% mark once the magic (magick) was introduced into the
Stephen C
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that I'd been looking forward to for a loooong time, and one that I didn’t know what to expect of it. I think sometimes when we make books genre specific there can be a bit of a stigma attached to it, so when I saw that it was a 'Western Fantasy' I wasn't so much put off, as that thinking I wouldn’t like it because westerns aren't really my thing. But I'm going to be eating my words on this occasion...

As ever, I just want to take a moment to appreciate the cover. I've always
Stephen C
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I'd been looking forward to for a loooong time, and one that I didn't know what to expect of it. I think sometimes when we make books genre specific there can be a bit of a stigma attached to it, so when I saw that it was a 'Western Fantasy' I wasn't so much put off, as that thinking I wouldn't like it, because westerns aren't really my thing. But I'm going to be eating my words on this occasion...

As ever, I just want to take a moment to appreciate the cover. I've always
K.S. Marsden
After his father's death, Tonmerion Hark finds himself packaged off to the frontier, to live with an aunt he didn't know existed, and to find the secrets in his blood.

I got a free copy of this book from Galley's website.

This is a great blend of two genres, with the tension and struggles of a Western, and all the creative goodness of Fantasy.
I loved the world that Galley has created. It's an alternative history, set in the 1860's, with well thought-out twists on names and histories that make it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Never Die
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • God of Broken Things
  • A Different Time
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • A Mark of Kings (The Shattered Reigns #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • Paternus: Rise of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • The Ember Blade (The Darkwater Legacy #1)
  • Nightmare Keep (Euphoria Online #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)
Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released a range of epic and dark fantasy novels, including the award-winning weird western Bloodrush and standalone novel The Heart of Stone. He is also the author of the critically-acclaimed Chasing Graves Trilogy.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange

The Scarlet Star Trilogy (3 books)
  • Bloodmoon (The Scarlet Star Trilogy #2)
  • Bloodfeud (The Scarlet Star Trilogy #3)
“What do you think of when we talk of magic?"
Merino scratched his head. "Rabbits in hata. Doves. Cards," he said.
0 likes
“What do you think of when we talk of magic?"
Merion scratched his head. "Rabbits in hats. Doves. Cards," he said.
0 likes