Start by marking “Take the Heat” as Want to Read:
Take the Heat

Take the Heat

The ultimate bad boys, criminals capture our attention and awaken our darkest desires. Celebrate the illicit in this romantic suspense anthology, where handcuffs are used for more than play. These stories are shocking, sexy, and thought-provoking.

In New York Times Bestselling Author Skye Warren’s Magnolia Hotel, meet the heroine who pays her brother’s debt to a loan shark—
Published September 9th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Take the Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take the Heat

Ilze
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
➵Wow.wow.wow. I really love this anthology and hands down it is the best anthology I have ever read. All the stories were very unique, sexy and captivating. Some were more twisted and dangerous than others, but overall they all had some dark element and unexpected twist which will surprise the reader.

➵Below are my ratings for each of the stories and the reason why I haven't given 5 stars to any of them is because they weren't enough. They were so good that I want 300 page sequel to each one of
Jasmine
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jasmine by: Ilze
3.5 - 4 DARK STARS! ★★★★

I always love discovering anthologies to read because I don't have to get invested in a long plot and get to experience a variety of different premises in each short story. Oh and so many new authors to check out! :D

Take the Heat definitely brought out some interesting reads; all having a dark element in it. What's great about this anthology is that it ranges across multiple genres & allows me to figure out what type of genre works for me. It could be from BDSM to
Amber Rose
 photo 4star_zps208c8d15.png

Take the Heat is an Anthology. 11 dark, sexy stories. The last anthology I read it was kind of blah. I find myself either loving a few short stories out of the bunch and the rest are just plain either boring or not my cup of tea. I sometimes find my self wanting more out of the one I like to the point where they deserve their own full length book.

Below is the ratings for each of the books and some of them have a little side note.

photo TakeTheHeat_zps86b8cb7b.jpg

The Magnolia Hotel by Skye Warren- 4 stars
I really liked t
MsRomanticReads

What an amazing collection of short stories that will shock and titillate. There was a nice mixture of dark and light erotica, some romance, unexpected twists, and surprisingly quite a few stories had heroines in their thirties [fist pump]. Who doesn't love a sexy anthology with different couples and situations to stimulate the senses? Well, if you want that and a bit of an edge, I can't recommend this highly enough. This is one of my Top Picks for 2014.

I'm terrible at writing very short summar
★Winter★
175 pages

Overall rating = 3.75 stars

This is a great collection of short stories. It has a wide variety of storylines and the following content M/F, M/M, ménage, anal play, breathe play, Domme, BDSM, and dubious consent. These were extremely steamy and several of the stories left me wanting more. Since it's hard for me to write a review for such short stories, I decided to leave a star rating, a brief description and any quick thoughts I had for each story instead.

The Magnolia Hotel by Skye Warr
℘ųŋყą [Punya Reviews...]
I’ve read Skye Warren’s novella “The Magnolia Hotel” and have to say quite disappointed. It’s barely 19 pages so there’s nothing much to talk about.

Grace, a budding artist, goes to free her good-for-nothing big brother from the local gang and ends up finding a part of her past that she thought she had long buried. The first man she had ever loved, secretly, had to be the one to whom her brother owns a huge sum! Grace is then faced with a new (and tempting) challenge from Liam. She knows it’s no
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Well….. my first thoughts after reading this: Fear and debasement and kinda scary too.This is chock full of short stories from various authors. Wicked, deadly, seductive, awful, amazing, crazy, humiliating, sick, and blissful. How often do you get to use all those words together describing a book?

Like with any anthology it can be hard to review as the stories are all so short it is hard not to give anything away. So in keeping with that I will say: some stories made me instantly want to know mor
Elaine
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r
WOW!! What an awesome collection of stories. Each one is an amazing tale. Thank you for introducing me to some authors.
Gail
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like erotica - a lot, probably more than I should. It's a good thing this was a $0.00 download from the Big Z because I'd shoot myself if I'd paid good money for it. I have to be fair and say maybe 2 of the short stories was decently written; one of the stories must have been corrupted in the download because it was so severely, badly, sinfully in need of editing and spelling. Sentences and paragraphs were repeated so often that I had to use my brain (which was ready to slap me upside the head ...more
Marina (Living In Our Own Story)
That was one amazingly hot read.

I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this book full with incredibly hot stories. I finished it for a day and each one of the stories left me panting and craving more. If you are into dark, erotic stories then this compilation is exactly for you. Most of the stories could be great for the start of a series or simply a book (they are that interesting) as in my opinion the characters are captivating and I would love to read some more but even if none of the sto
Kat Desi
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica
Oh, wow! No doubt one of the best anthologies I have ever read! A set of awesome and most twisted stories EVER. You can bet that I will check out each and every contributor to this anthology in the near future. I'm so glad that I chanced on this during a freebie period and if it weren't it would definitely be worth spending! My favorites were Pam Godwin's Unlawful Seduction and Trent Evans' Last Day.
Dana Delamar
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nicely put together anthology of stories about some not very nice (and often very twisted) people. All of the stories are good, and I appreciated the care that had gone into editing and writing them. A few skirted the border of being a bit too raunchy for my taste, but none of them tipped me over into squicky territory.

I'll be checking out other books by many of the authors. Recommended if you like dark erotic romance and twisted heroes and heroines.
Deborah
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it

Not the usual collection of cliffhangers

It makes a nice change to find a collection that's not full of cliffhangers and first in series books. These are original short tales and like always with these collections some are better than others, because these are short stories then even if there's one you don't like it doesn't last long and you're into the next.
This collection gives you a bit of everything especially hot sexy scenes.
Jessica Alcazar
*** ARC provided by NetGalley & Aspendawn Books for an honest review***

This anthology is very sexy indeed! All the stories were pretty dark and had some not so predictable moments and they were ALL sexy, unique to the others, and easy to read! The style in which these were put together captivated me. I'm normally not a fan of 'dark' romances, but this was really good. It was edgy and captivating and introduced me to some very promising authors I will keep an eye on in the future for!
J
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are some really good little stories in this anthology by authors we normally associate with "dark" reads. None of them are really full fledged stories, just snippets. But a couple were certainly interesting enough that I would buy a full fledged book in a heartbeat (i.e., Cynthia Rayne's "Captivated").
DemetraP
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
This anthology was just ok. Each of the stories was too short to really tell a good story.

I can't see myself rereading any of them.

A few of the stories had happy endings but most of them had very ambiguous endings. Some had very abrupt endings.
Ann Ellis
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Take the Heat: A Criminal Romance Anthology"
Rated 4 and 1/2 Fangs

I received this book from the author and from 'Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock'. This is my honest review.

'Take the Heat' contains a series of erotic stories by various writers about people's interactions with the law and criminals. These stories describe graphic sex, language and violence. For mature readers, 18+.
The theme of this book can be disturbing to some. Lust, BDSM, lawyers, cops, criminals and their victims are
Amanda
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**ARC received from author Cynthia Rayne**

What a hot little collection of erotic stories each with their own bad boy

We've got criminals, naughty billionaires, an MC prez, a dominatrix, a cop walking the thin line, childhood crushes, and a really kinky anniversary roll play! Let me tell you these sexy as sin men are 100% all alpha bad boys that get the blood pumping!

There is a wide variety of stories here to wet everyones appetite or simply introduce you to something new. We've got M/f, M/f/M, M/
Jillyn
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, requested
Because this is a collection of short stories, this will be a short overview/review to match.

I was impressed by how many different styles of short stories were put together in this anthology. There's ones that are more of a thriller/suspense vibe, ones that lean towards the kinkier/BDSM side of things. I will say that each story stood out from the others and brought something unique to the table, so to speak. The unifying theme of this collection of short stories is crime and criminals, and the
Lia
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
*received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Oh wow!
Overall I give it a good four stars! Not five because at some point of these little stories I was irritated by the roughness of it... although I'd counted on it, it felt a bit too much at times.. mainly the last part... oh
Regardless of that though, it's a great read for all of those who fancy bad boys and girls ...
For me it was quite a comfortable read, having been stuck with a book that's too long and boring, the shortness
Stacy Wollett
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Out of the 11 shorts stories in this anthology I loved 3 of the stories The Magnolia Hotel by Skye Warren was really good but then again it's Skye Warren. Captivated by Cynthia Rayne was a great story that was hot and dangerous. Lastly I loved Playing with Fire by Tamsin Flowers, I have never read anything from her but I picked a couple of her books up yesterday so I can read them. I would love a full story of these characters because it was a fantastic read and can't wait to read more from Tams ...more
♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎
I downloaded this anthology because it had a Pam Godwin story in it, I love her writing, it was an added bonus that it was free. In general I'm not a fan of the 'short story' genre, I think it's a lot of pressure on a author to try and satisfy a reader with just one bite of an apple, and many don't deliver. Fortunately last week I spent a lot of time travelling by train and quick bites was just what was called for, so it worked; unfortunately not all the writers delivered....

Pam Godwin's Unlawfu
Shanna
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I think that this compilation is more than a little DARK its very dark, but most of the stories are so short its hard to really understand or enjoy the characters, especially in light of the dark nature of the content of this book (pun intended). But there were a few stories in here that really got me, even made me tear up, and the sex though dark was usually hot. This is not for everyone but if you like a walk on the dark side give these stories a try, I think they would be perfect
Jade Onyx
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVE Shoshanna's short reads--how she manages to cram everything from runaway ex-boyfriend to attempted robbery in an adult store to a happy for now all in one short story is beyond me!

Read Skye Warren and Pam Godwin's works in the Make Me anthology released earlier this March. Excited to read their works in this Take the Heat anthology as well!

The best news? Sampling some new authors and finding new favorites at the can't-go-wrong price of a typical ebook! Best way to kick off a naughty school
Amaranthine
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Considered dark erotica, all of these stories skirt the edges of what is consensual. A few of the tales are darker than others—a couple worryingly so. There’s not so much flirting with the idea of consent as there is smacking it around a little.

As with all anthologies the stories incite various degrees of interest, but over all there are more that are good than bad, more that are scorchingly hot than bland.

4.5 rounded to 5 stars

For the sake of full disclosure it must be stated that I received t
Emily
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, own
My first thought is WOW. I loved this anthology. Each story was a great read and I wished the there was more to them. I think all of them would make for a great full book. I had not read all of the authors before this and have added books to my tbr list. Each story was unique and varied on the level of heat. Some will melt your ereader. I normal do not enjoy short stories but loved these. I would recommend this read to everyone. It is a great way to find multiple new to you authors.
Tammy
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hot is definitely a word to describe this book! This dark sexy anthology had me hooked from the first story to the last. A couple of the authors are old favorites of mine Skye Warren, Shoshanna Evers never disappoint when I am looking for a dark sexy read. But I found some great new ones to add to my TBR list. This book is sexually explicit but the stories are also fast paced and action packed and the sex is indeed HOT. Looking forward to reading more from each of these great authors.
She Hearts Books
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is all about the bad boys! Some of the stories had me fanning myself. Others made me think. All of them were intriguing in their own way and were scorching hot. It was fantastic to read some authors that I was familiar with and equally so to find authors that were unknown to me. The stories range in genre from menage to dominance and all have a bit of a dark edge to them.

I give Take the Heat 4 hearts!
Erzabet Bishop
Review:

Crack. That would be the one word to describe this awesome anthology. I could not put it down. Not for deadlines of my own, bedtimes if I had better sense or any other reason. I crawled back to my e-reader on breaks and hugged it during morning coffee. Each story is different but holds the same sweet edge of sex and danger that always keeps me coming back for more. Hot!!!

5/5 for sheer panty soaking heat. I loved it!!
Terri
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book of short stories from some of the hottest authors. I admit that I love Shoshanha Evers and I read the book just for her. However, I was very pleasantly surprised that I liked the rest of the book. Let's be honest, sometimes you get a compilation and there is only one decent story. This is not the case with this book. In fact, I just added some authors to my to-read list. The stories are hot, fresh and edgy. They have an edge of dark to them that just makes them fun.
  • Kept
  • Gratis: Midwinter Tales (Gratis Anthologies Book 1)
  • Primal (Overwatch, #3)
  • Riding Steele: Crossroads (Riding Steele, #5)
  • Every Part of You: Denies Me (Every Part of You, #4)
  • Sizzling Hot Alpha Male Paranormal Romance Box Set
  • Command Performance (Comfort, #4)
  • Take Me: Twelve Tales of Dark Possession
  • Telling Tales
  • Trust
  • Hard Candy
  • Big Sky
  • Long For Me (Secrets & Shadows, #0.7)
  • Red Phoenix's Passion is for Lovers Collection (Boxed Set)
  • Taste Me
  • Play Hard
  • Triage (Doctor Dom, #1)
  • Motorcycle Clubs Volume #1 Box Set (Death Lords MC, #1; Bedlam Butchers MC, #1; Hellfire Riders MC, #1)
“he questioned the wisdom of choosing a place where the windchill sucked his dick into his body and dried out his balls.” 1 likes
“place where the windchill sucked his dick into his body and dried out his balls.” 0 likes