Start by marking “And the Good News Is...: Lessons and Advice from the Bright Side” as Want to Read:
And the Good News Is...: Lessons and Advice from the Bright Side

And the Good News Is...: Lessons and Advice from the Bright Side

#1 New York Times Bestseller
#1 Wall Street Journal Bestseller

From her years as the presidential press secretary to her debates with colleagues on Fox News' The Five, Dana Perino reveals the lessons she's learned that have guided her through life, kept her level-headed, and led to her success, even in the face of adversity.

Thoughtful, inspiring, and often surprising,
Published April 21st 2015 by Twelve

To ask other readers questions about And the Good News Is..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And the Good News Is...

Start your review of And the Good News Is...: Lessons and Advice from the Bright Side
Emma
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Regardless of your politics, there is a lot of great advice in Dana Perino's book. Yes, she's conservative. Yes, she's loyal to President Bush and his family. But if you can't overlook a person's politics to learn more about them and listen to what they have to say, then you're not going to get very far in life. And Perino addresses this in part of her book as a call for civility when dealing with opposite viewpoints. Her career advice is excellent for 20-somethings and applies to anyone, no ...more
Dennis
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

A good read from someone who has always shown grace and dignity in her endeavors. Many positive thoughts and insights from inside the bush w White House . Will miss his presidency with every day that we are without a leader.
Elaine
Mar 18, 2015 added it
Loved it! Not only because it was well-written and showed us the real, adorable Dana, but even more for her stories about George W. Bush. She shared many personal glimpses of the President being a warm, friendly human being that were so touching. People should hear more about that, and she told the stories in a respectful and honorable way. Great read, I highly recommend it.
Sam Roman
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
It is truly shocking that this woman manages to tie her own shoes every day.

Just as a sample of her bizarre sense of writing:

1) Israel is misspelled as Isreal once
2) She refers to a meeting of "all Middle East countries" (you wouldn't say "all Asia countries" would you?)
3) A sentence later, "all Middle East" countries is revealed to be "all Arab" countries. Well, which is it? Not every country in the ME is Arab and not every Arab country is in the ME.
4) Author brags about how she doesn't like to
Emma Sonck
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Today I went to Dana's event in DC and got to meet her and take a picture with her. I love Dana. She is so nice and kind. She is a real role model. Very talented woman.

Anyways back to the book...
I loved this book. I am a huge fan of Dana and got to learn a lot about her and hear some of her stories. Also there was amazing advice in here. This book is amazing for any type of person. There is something in it for everyone. My favorite parts where when she was talking about how she met her husband.
Lee Ann
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the book for it's stories of her time in the Bush White House and her special relationship with 43, but I also found it a little boring. I really like her and her upbeat attitude and willingness to be respectful of differing opinions. I also thought she did a good job as Press Secy. However, there wasn't a lot of depth in her personal journey - not because she had a fairly trouble-free upbringing - but her telling of it was disjointed.
Holly
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up for a fun "by the pool" read and I gobbled it down over the weekend. . .and at the Glenwood Springs Hot Spring Pool, no less! I am now eager for more White House staffers to write their memoirs because the glimpses into all of the arduous work, tender moments, silly antics and tensions that go on behind the scenes at the White House were so much more informative to me in terms of the climate, ethics and strategies of a particular administration than the slickly edited ...more
Teri
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
I heard Dana speak at the Reagan Presidential Library. She was interviewed and was masterful in speaking. So eloquent and had so much poise. I bet she was an amazing press secretary.

The book is very well written. It is inspirational and I enjoyed learning more about Dana as well as some wonderful stories she told about President George W. Bush. Quick, informative read. Want to read some of the books she mentioned.

I really liked what she said about the decline of civility and the need for us to
Susanchitter
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 It is always great to see nice people succeeding. As press secretary to George W. Bush and now on The Five on Fox news she writes how her down to earth upbringing in Wyoming and Colorado gave her the tools necessary. She shares her life lessons and mentoring skills to help the reader in their own quest for success. She laments the lack of civility in politics and life in general. Whether you agree with her conservative views or not the reader can take away thoughtful ideas and wisdom.
Gina
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I saw an interview of Dana Perino on TV about this book, and the information about her early ranch life, her road to becoming the White House press secretary, and her charity, Minute Mentoring, led me to read this book. No matter your political affiliation, this is a very interesting read. I especially enjoyed the parts about her husband, her career advice for young women, and some of the behind the scenes political events. Unfortunately, much of the book stays on the surface. I found the on-air ...more
Ellen Taylor
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Dana's perspective on the Bush administration and her positive outlook on life in general. She writes very conversationally, yet professionally, and made me feel like we could be friends if we ever met. Her advice to young professionals on job searches and protocols are spot on, and would be well-heeded by our Millennials. You don't have to be a conservative or Republican to enjoy this lovely memoir!
Stephanie Seymore
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super book with some great stories and advice for all ages!
Matt
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful Audio book. She is probably the nicest and most human person in politics.
Linda Wells
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“From her years as the presidential press secretary to her debates with colleagues on Fox News’ THE FIVE, Dana Perino reveals the lessons she’s learned that have guided her through life, kept her level-headed, and led to her success, ever in the face of adversity.

Thoughtful, inspiring, and often surprising, AND THE GOOD NEWS IS….traces Dana Perino’s unlikely journey through politics and television. It’s a remarkable American story-made up of equal parts determination and clear-eyed optimism.”

We
Stephanie
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
I'm not sure how I came to read this book, but I think the library site recommended it. In any case, it's a fabulous book. It's written the way a person would tell their own story...not in a straight line, but linear with various thoughts and interesting tidbits popping in.
Dana Perino was press secretary for President George W Bush, affectionately referred to as 43 and was the first female conservative press secretary. She clearly loved the man she worked for and I love the personal (loving
Emily
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I enjoyed hearing her life story, career advice, and experiences that included positive interactions with Pres. Bush, Pres. Obama, and Vice President Biden, different world leaders, and many others. I loved hearing about her family and personal life and her path to success which culminated in her being the White House Press Secretary and how she moved on after it was over. I loved hearing her approach to politics and how she deals with being a conservative at a time ...more
W. Whalin
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an Insightful Memoir

Dana Perino has written a wonderful memoir. As she wrote on page 65:
"Really, you would never have picked me out of a crowd and said, "She'll be the White House press secretary one day." And that's what makes America so great--one day you're sitting on a barnyard fence thinking you'll never leave home and the next thing you're sitting on Marine One with the President of the United States after his last visit with the Navy SEALs. God Bless America indeed."

I highly
Melanie Melancon
A great book about a super woman

A must read for young people starting out in any profession. Heartwarming, informative, and entertaining, it captures the author and her approach to work and life. After having been a fan of Dana since her press secretary days, I was so glad to learn what had shaped her into what I believe is a role model for today's young adult.
Pamela Rosenberg
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Who doesn't like Dana? The book though was just too sweet with not enough meat. I will still be a big fan of The Five but I wish I had downloaded a different book
Kris
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, politics
Worth a look if you love Dana, but this book has too many “memoir cliches” for my taste. I would have gladly skipped over parts — I don’t care to hear where her grandparents were born, or what her dog is like. Only chapters 5, 6, and 7 contain advice. The rest of it is her life story.

I understand that as a Press Secretary she’s supposed to defend the President, but she’s almost blindingly loyal to Bush. There seriously isn’t even one slightly negative word about him in the book. She puts him on
Melissa
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great looking back at the W years from her perspective. Also some fabulous advice and pointers for staying grounded, that if read by millennials would probably help them in their careers! Good read, especially at the resolution time of year!
Monica C.
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I really enjoyed reading this book, it was an unexpected and very pleasant surprise as I got this book by chance. The author is clearly smart, articulate, impressive, very admirable and wise beyond her years. There is some great advice at the end and some good stories and lessons learned for professional women. Very good read.
Lucille Zimmerman
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dana, congratulations. There's a reason this book is #1...it's interesting, it's full of life lessons, and you are one classy lady!

I'm a little older than the author but in many ways her childhood reminds me of my own. I didn't grow up on a ranch, but I did grow up in a small town near the Wyoming border. On our way home from college (Creighton University to Craig, CO) my twin sister and I got stranded in Rawlins, WY during a blizzard where Dana's grandparents lived.

I relate to Dana's upbringing
Jess Brown
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Being a young women she is someone I have greatly started to look up to. She is incredibly educated and runs her life from this stand point which I think is so important. She talks about everything from her early life, to press secretary of the bush administration, to anchoring the five. Her stories are really great and she does give some really unsightly advice. She did a fabulous job writing without shoving a political agenda down your throat and really shows sides ...more
MaryO
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Dana Perino chronicles her life as the White House Press Secretary under the Bush administration. With class and style she provides valuable insights for women in government and business, while providing heartwarming and sometimes tearful glimpses of the personal lives of Washington's civil servants. I laughed, cried and cheered her on as she made difficult decisions that changed the course of her personal life and career. This work has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with being ...more
Emily
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
2.5. It's very sporadic and sometimes the details she chooses to share are minutiae that -sorry! - I just don't care about. This is especially true with her early life. Though this sounds harsh, I just don't think she's famous enough to be sharing that level of detail about her younger years. I picked up this book to learn more about the Bush administration and felt the subject was rather glossed over.
Renay
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Dana Perino is an interesting person. Her personality and heart came through the book very well. She was real and genuine. She provides great advice to women who find themselves climbing the ladder or even unsure as to where to go next. I wish the book had include more glimpses into her time in Washington DC and the White House. I also wish she would have provided more about her work on The Five.
Mary
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
I had to abandon this - picked it up at the library, title sounded promising and the experience of the author as presidential press secretary interested me, but the quality just wasn't there. The writing did not engage me, felt immature and often unfocused paragraphs sprinkled with cliche statements that weren't explored or "shown" rather than told about. My expectations were different than what the writing offered.
Jim D
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Upbeat, positive and a pleasure to read. The story of a girl from Wyoming and Colorado who ends up being the press secretary to the president and the cohost of a daily political show on tv. Filled with personal anecdotes of her life, education at csu pueblo, and religious upbringing she brings a very personal and humble approach to the challenges of life. A must for any young woman or man
Kip Brailey
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful read. Do not read this if you must continue to hate Bush 43 because it will be hard to reconcile Dana's view with your preconceived notions. The chapter of advice on life and work is exceptionally good. All in all it's like sitting at the dinner table talking to a bright friend you haven't seen in years. She's two parts savvy and one part gee whiz and it works.

• Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics
  • Settle for More
  • The Gutfeld Monologues: Classic Rants from the Five
  • When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan
  • Mostly Sunny: How I Learned to Keep Smiling Through the Rainiest Days
  • What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era
  • Getting Real
  • Justice on Trial: The Kavanaugh Confirmation and the Future of the Supreme Court
  • Grateful American: A Journey from Self to Service
  • 41: A Portrait of My Father
  • The First Family Detail: Secret Service Agents Reveal the Hidden Lives of the Presidents
  • Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency (Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series)
  • The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage
  • The Plan: Lose Weight Fast and Forever by Eating the Right Foods for Your Body
  • Unti Earhardt Memoir
  • Making the Case: How to Negotiate Like a Prosecutor in Work and Life
  • The Matriarch: Barbara Bush and the Making of an American Dynasty
  • Spoken from the Heart
Dana Perino is an American political commentator and author. Perino served as the White House Press Secretary for President George W. Bush, where she was the first female press secretary in a Republican administration. She was appointed to the U.S. Broadcasting Board of Governors in 2010 by President Obama.

Dana Perino currently anchors FOX News Channel’s (FNC) The Daily Briefing with Dana Perino
“Say little. But when you speak, utter gentle words that touch the heart. Be truthful. Express kindness. Abstain from vanity. This is the way.” 7 likes
“It’s okay to have butterflies in your stomach, as long as you make them fly in formation,” 6 likes