Start by marking “The Royal We (Royal We, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Royal We (Royal We, #1)

The Royal We

(Royal We #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  48,616 ratings  ·  6,295 reviews
"I might be Cinderella today, but I dread who they'll think I am tomorrow. I guess it depends on what I do next."

American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy tales. Her twin sister, Lacey, has always been the romantic who fantasized about glamour and royalty, fame and fortune. Yet it's Bex who seeks adventure at Oxford and finds herself living down the hall from Prince
Published April 7th 2015 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Royal We, please sign up.
Beth Johnston Westminster Abbey and the Church of England are Anglican (Episcopalian in the US). The old Catholic liturgy was reappropriated via Thomas Cranmer for …moreWestminster Abbey and the Church of England are Anglican (Episcopalian in the US). The old Catholic liturgy was reappropriated via Thomas Cranmer for Henry VIII and the church, especially the old "high church" cathedrals, still follow those old liturgical forms. So the authors did the research, it's accurate, and you should probably do a spot of your own research next time!
(less)

·  48,616 ratings  ·  6,295 reviews

Start your review of The Royal We (Royal We, #1)
Andrea
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is 100 percent Kate Middleton fan fiction and I have absolutely no problem with that. The authors' blog is great; so is this.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
2.5 generous stars

SO . . . THE ROYAL WE started amazingly well. One might even say it was like a modern day fairytale.

Bex Porter, in a bid to discover who she might be away from her stifling twin sister, enters a study exchange from her program at Cornell with Oxford's Penbroke school.

She arrives dirty and probably smelly, dragging her suitcases behind her--in the rain--and is forced to pound on the locked door of her housing accommodations.

No one answers.

She pounds some more. Finally, an En
Emily May
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, chick-lit, romance
You know, I pride myself on not being what some would call a "book snob". Sure, I like my classics and literary fiction as much as anyone else, but I also take a great deal of enjoyment from fast-paced, entertaining and light books. Sometimes I just want some YA fantasy or fluffy chick-lit; you know what I'm saying?

So I looked past this book's appearance (as an obvious William & Kate fanfic) to the positive reviews and all the good things this could possibly be - hilarious, silly, enjoyable, Bri
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
4.5 stars.

Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

Real talk: This book is basically thinly disguised Wills and Kate fanfiction - and I AM OKAY WITH THAT.

But seriously, though, The Royal We is written by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, better known as the "Fug Girls" of the celebrity fashion website Go Fug Yourself. If you've read their site at all, you know their penchant for snark, wit and hilarity, and they've infused their book and their protagonist, Rebecca "Bex" Porter with thos
Cristina Monica
Apr 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I just really, really can't bring myself to take this book seriously.
Larry H
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan is full of soapy royal intrigue, as the heir to the throne sets his sights on a young American woman.

When Rebecca “Bex” Porter first meets Nicholas, Prince of Wales, he lets her in to their dorm at Oxford, where she’ll be studying for a year. He even helps carry her luggage. But she hasn’t the first clue who he is.

While their second meeting isn’t much more impressive (she’s in a towel, so perhaps it was for Nick, but she also drops her tampons
Kate
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Carmen
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Royalty Fans
Recommended to Carmen by: URR
"My soul married yours that first night at Windsor, and while I'll be the king of this country someday, EVERY day I will be your servant."

Did I tell you I've been having dreams about whatever I've been reading? For instance, a few days ago I read Superman/Batman: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Special Edition #1 and then I had these dreams where Batman and Superman... *blush* Um... things happened... Kissing! *blush*

ANYWAY, while reading this book, I

...had dreams about marrying/snogging/shag
Emily
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Edit 10/19: GUYS CBS FILMS HAS OPTIONED THE BOOK!!! THR reports that it may star Mae Whitman of Arrested Development, which I'm pretty "meh" about (har de har), but I am willing to move past that because THIS COULD BE A MOVIE!!!!! AHHHH!!!!

THIS BOOK IS GREAT. The premise has been done many times: American girl goes abroad to Oxford, where she meets and falls in love with the heir to the British throne. But this book captures almost eight years of their relationship, and you really get to know
Caitlin Hannah
EDITED March 2020: I think Goodreads lost my rating and messed up some of the comments when the listing was edited to become the first in a series. Anyway, this has always been five stars for me. My favorite book, and one I go to for comfort and to read at least once a year. Like putting on my favorite well-worn jeans and Breton striped top ;)
************************

Original review:
Someone's review said that this is Kate Middleton fan fiction, and that is spot on. If you're a royal lover like I
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Guysssssss this was really, REALLY cute. Like, so cute. I'm only docking a star bc it did feel a little longer than it needed to be, but it was still just so great. What a way to start my week!
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
The Royal We is a fun read following American Rebecca (Bex) Porter as she spends a year abroad at Oxford and meets Nick Lyons, the Prince of Wales. When she arrives at Oxford, Bex is your average American girl looking for a fun year in London. She's left behind her close family, including her twin sister, in Iowa, but quickly makes new friends in her intimate dorm. At first, her and Nick simply start a friendship over cheesy TV and a casual understanding of feeling a little on the "outside." The ...more
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Initial Thoughts: This book was epically amazing. I fell in love with this book and the characters instantly. The banter and the writing are both hilarious and heartfelt. The raw emotions and the themes and the setting are equally beguiling. I NEED you to read this book. It will make you (and me) so happy, and it's honestly so addictive. BEST cutesy romance novel I've read in a long time.

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

There are few books that truly have the power to encompass my
Stephanie
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
The Royal We might not be the Prince William/Kate Middleton fan fiction we wanted, but it’s the Prince William/Kate Middleton fan fiction we got. Let’s be honest. William and Kate aren’t the most exciting couple in the world. They’re very attractive, they’re very well-mannered and composed, they’re probably wonderful parents, and while that’s great for real life, it doesn’t make for a juicy novel. This lack of juiciness is especially surprising since this book was written by the bloggers from Go ...more
Giselle
If there's anything I'm not interested in, it would be being royal. I believe that a country still being ruled in monarchy is archaic, and this book showed the reasons why. Yes, you have your prince and the love of your life, but you're giving up your entire identity, your nationality just for a title. You don't get to make decisions about anything and everything must be approved to what you wear, to what you eat and to what music you listen to. You might as well be a trained monkey... So sad :( ...more
Corina
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
With 454 pages, or almost 18 hours narration this book was LONG!!!!

There were some things I really enjoyed about this book.

The relationship between Bex, Nick and Freddy - was very much as I imagined the friendship between Kate, William and Harry in RL must have been. The banter, the chemistry, and honest enjoyment to be in each other’s company reminded me of what I’ve seen and read about the RL royals.

I enjoyed the way the plot was written, with anecdotes from the future, so it was obvious how t
Vanessa
Jun 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love the (British) Royal Family. I've always been quite passionate about it, so you can understand my excitement when I ran into this book, inspired by the relationship between Kate and William (even if, after the recent events, this could also be a Meghan/Harry fit book, being the main character American - but without anything positive that Megan has and is).

Not only I found this novel dull because of the silly writing style (two people were needed to write it??) but in any sense possible. I
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
2/5 Stars!

Received this from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway!

Summary:
Bex moves to England to pursue her artist career. This is the first time she's been away from her twin sister Lacey. It's hard but shes found a great group of friends. One of which, is the a Prince of Wales. But can everyone remain friends when royalty is so demanding? What if it leads to more?

Dislikes:
This book was overly wordy at some points. It made it seem like a chore to get thru some parts of the book. Then some of the p
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
First thoughts, written January 2015:

OH. MY. GOSH.

I had high expectations for this book (it just sounded epic), but it surpassed all of them. This is a longgg read, but my attention never waned. In fact, I stayed up past 4 am (!) crying my eyes out over it -- and this is not a usual occurrence. (Reading late, yes. Actually crying over a book? No.)

Much love for Nick/Bex, so can I be one of the first to claim Freddie?? <3

Full review to come, but needless to say I LOVED THIS BOOK (!!!).

Full review,
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Bex never wanted to marry the prince, but here she is—on her wedding day. To the future king of England. How'd she get here? And who is blackmailing her?

I first read this in 2016, and I loved it.

But I also remembered very little of what happened, beyond Bex being depressed and getting princess-lessons and not much else, and so when I was approved for the ARC of The Heir Affair, I knew that I'd have to reread this.

And I still loved it, although not to five-stars. It's a solid four star read—enjoy
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am not familiar with these two authors or their blog www.gofugyourself.com yet I did check out their blog. It is a good blog. The reason I did is because I was expecting two authors who write this blog and title it the way they did to have more witty charm infused into this book. I started reading it in between television commercials. Which I was hoping that this book would be so funny that I would lose focus on the show I was watching and read just this book. This did not happen. Why you ask? ...more
Mellie Antoinette
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
"To be a king and where a crown is a thing more glorious to them that see it, than it is pleasant to them that bear it." HRH Queen Elizabeth I (1601)

Yeah, this book is not that serious! It doesn't aspire to anything higher than a fun, fictionalized ideal of what it must be like to date royalty. Hence, the great quote I couldn't resist!

Story wise, The Royal We is by far the most transparent, cheesy adventure unfolding on the page in the most expected of terms. Even the names are dripping with roy
Aimee
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I rarely read while I'm drafting or editing, but I loved this book too much to put down. It's very much a fictionalized version of the Kate Middleton and Prince William romance (complete with a playboy ginger brother), though the main character, Bex (one of my favorite names!), is American.

The Royal We gives the reader the impression of an insider's perspective on the good, the bad, and the ugly of the royal lifestyle, and I found that just as intriguing as the plot itself - which, while it foll
Margaret H. Willison
I gulped this one down in about a week after it received rapturous reviews all across my Twitter feed. I've been a long-time fan of Heather and Jessica's work on their hilarious website, Go Fug Yourself, so I was certainly EAGER to enjoy this book, but I don't know that I expected to be serenading with with "Just What I Needed" by The Cars at barely four pages in. AND YET.

I, along with a huge number of my smart female friends, have an insatiable appetite for books like this one: Funny love stori
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
[IMAGE TK]
Many thanks to Tiffany and Estelle at Grand Central Publishing for sending me a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at 14%. I don't care about the story or any of the characters and I am so, so bored. Sorry, but I probably won't be picking this one up again. Better luck next time

-----------

i am late. so late. but better late than never

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Madeline
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: no-judgements
While I definitely wouldn’t say that I’m one of those Americans who is weirdly obsessed with the British royal family, I will admit that my college roommates and I got up at 4am to watch the live broadcast of the William/Kate wedding. I baked scones for the occasion. So actually yeah, I probably AM one of those Americans who’s weirdly obsessed with the British royal family.

That being said, I almost definitely read this book much too late. The Royal We was released in 2015, when everyone (or at l
Leslie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
3.5 rounded up to 4

Lets get this out of the way - I am an anglophile. I stayed up all night to watch Princess Di's funeral and got up at 3 a.m. (EDT) to watch Kate & Will's wedding. Thus a book that is a very fictionalized account of Will & Kate's romance seemed like a great idea.

You will definitely recognize the Royals in this fictional story. But where we depart from reality is that instead of a mere commoner our Heir instead falls for an American, Rebecca Porter, Bex. The book explains how th
Nursebookie
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a modern royal tale of a friendship that spans over 8 years between a young American, Rebecca ‘Bex’ Porter, and Nick, the future King of England. The story begins present day, the day prior to their wedding, and in the midst of being blackmailed. The story is told in five timeframes from 2007 to the present starting from the time Bex arrives to Oxford from America. She tells their story, their relationship with the media and paparazzis, the heartaches, and most especially their love stor ...more
Jaime Arkin
I don’t normally go crazy for the Royal family… in fact I always wonder what the fascination is for people who do. That said, I’ve been on a royal reading kick lately and I’ve had The Royal We on that list for a while. After a few prods from friends on Instagram I thought I better get reading, and once I started, I couldn’t stop.

American Rebecca “Bex” Porter has finally jumped out of the shadow of her twin sister Lacey by heading overseas to pursue her degree at Oxford where she finds herself l
Sophie
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I love British history, but have no interest in the modern British royal family. So a part of me was very surprised that I decided to pick up what is basically a William and Kate fanfiction (except with Kate being an American!). It was entertaining to read all of the similarities between Bex/Nick and William/Kate, and I was able to pick up on it despite only knowing a little about their relationship.

I was also expecting it to be pretty lighthearted, but was very surprised to see that the book w

• Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • One to Watch
  • Beach Read
  • Head Over Heels
  • Sex and Vanity
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • Big Summer
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • In Five Years
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Not Like the Movies (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #2)
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • You Had Me at Hola
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
Heather Cocks is a die-hard sports fan, a Leo, an ex-reporter, a Notre Dame grad, a dual citizen of the U.S. and U.K., a sandwich enthusiast, and a former producer for America's Next Top Model.

Together, Heather and Jessica Morgan skewer celebrity fashion crimes on their popular blog, Go Fug Yourself, which draws millions of monthly readers and made Entertainment Weekly's Must List. They have cover

Royal We (2 books)
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Dedicated fans of authors Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan might know the duo better by the affectionate moniker “The Fug Girls,” after their...
“My dad and I once had a fight because I refused to put ketchup on my hot dogs," I said.
"That's possibly the most American sentence I've ever heard.”
32 likes
“A wave of intense happiness washed over me, and I told myself to carry this moment as a talisman of a time in my life when I was both truly content and lucky enough to realize it.” 27 likes