Start by marking “Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead” as Want to Read:

From the visionary head of Google's innovative People Operations comes a groundbreaking inquiry into the philosophy of work-and a blueprint for attracting the most spectacular talent to your business and ensuring that they succeed.

"We spend more time working than doing anything else in life. It's not right that the experience of work should be so demotivating and
Published April 7th 2015 by Twelve (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Work Rules!, please sign up.
Manuel Sanchez From High School to the retired...there is something to learn here for everybody, but definitely nothing here for children.

Start your review of Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead
Otis Chandler
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Otis by: Stephanie
I think this is a must read for any leader in a modern business. Google has done a lot of things right both in their products and also in how they run their company and build their culture, and this is a fairly detailed account of how they've built an impressive culture, and is written by someone who knows - their head of HR. I'm a little surprised he told as much as he did - but I suppose it will only help for recruiting.

Goodreads is now a subsidiary of Amazon, and I have spent significant
Michael Scott
Laszlo Bock's Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead

Overall, I really liked this book. I learned much and discovered even more. Multumesc mult, Laszlo!

Main positives:

1. In the end, and in bits throughout the book, the reader discovers that Google uses not so much a ground-breaking process, but rather a data-driven iteration of well-known HR (and to some extent also managerial) processes.

2. Very good analysis of many HR processes, including detailed
Jurgen Appelo
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: human-resources
This should be the new gospel for HR.
Rick
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: I've worked at Google for 8 years, and have known Laszlo for much of that time. I'm a big fan of his, and have worked closely with several of his teams over the years. With that out of the way:

This is a spectacular book, and would be well worth your time whether you're early in your career and trying to figure out what kind of company you want to work for, or you're later in your career and are responsible for the careers of those who work for you. Laszlo lays out much of what makes
Peter
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Did this book transform how I live and lead? No. It's nowhere near as revolutionary or life changing as its subtitle would have you believe. It has a lot of interesting ideas, made even more interesting since they're from the context of Google. I'm sure most people have heard or seen glimpses of how Google supposedly works and treats their people, so having a book where those are explicitly divulged was nice. As with most business books, there were concepts I agreed with and a bunch I didn't see ...more
L.A. Starks
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a superb book about making work happier, better, and more productive that should be read by...well, everyone who works in an organization of any size. The author is the head of Google's People Operations.

Page after page of Bock's book highlight the unconventional and successful approaches Google has taken to its employees: from the big upfront investment in hiring, to taking authority away from managers, to Googlegeist, to interest clubs. Moreover, Bock and his team make an extraordinary
Izette
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a tough one to review as it's possibly quite personal for me being in HR. I can so relate to some of the issues experienced but also find it helpful to look at it from a more data driven perspective. I am always struck by how your frame of mind impacts your experience of a book. If you're ready to hear it, you want to hear more. When you're not ready, it's not so fun to read. I had a bit of both during this both.

One thought I had was that this book will make more people want to apply at
Kim Leandersson
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually one of the best books I've ever read in the area of people management and about HR organization. Of course the book is filled with google anecdotes but if you filter out the propaganda there is a deep and very interesting understanding about performance management, about what drives people and result, about that you need to be unfair instead of looking at bell curves, about constant feedback and most interesting of all, lots and lots of examples of how to be data driven in your HR work. ...more
Omri Reis
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This book is extremely recommended to three types of readers: First, managers, who will find it useful for developing talent and getting more value and productivity from their existing teams. Second, any HR professional who will find great insights about hiring, interviewing and empowering people, and lastly, any employee who wants to grow, be a founder (as Bock puts it) and achieve meaningful impact with their work. Personally, I think the book can also serve as a great branding book for anyone
Lori Tatar
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead by Laszlo Bock from Goodreads and am so glad I did! This book will take what you "know" about leadership and employees and throw it out the window.

Okay, sure, there are inevitably people who will need to be micro-managed...but you don't want them to be your employees. Learn to manage how you like to be managed. Learn to encourage productivity and remove obstacles instead of drilling down to the minutiae
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
While I haven't quite drank the kool-aid that Google is the bestest place ever to work and has HR all figured out, they certainly have studied it more than anyone else and this book is thought-provoking and definitely gets the juices flowing on better ways to do things!
Steve
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me by my supervisor with the intent that I would find some takeaways that we could apply to our office.

This was an interesting read, and the author provided many, many anecdotes supporting his main statements. It was well-written, and there are indeed several things that could be applied to an workplace, large or small. Google isn't a perfect company by any means, but they do good by their employees, that's for sure.
Suzanne
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read - lots of valuable information presented in an engaging way, with just the right amount of humor. Kudos to Laszlo Bock for being so willing to share what they've learned works at Google.

One interesting sidenote: Google uses OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) to set its business goals. John Doerr, from Kleiner Perkins, introduced this system to Google when the company was only a year old. He also introduced them to Amazon. Part of me is wondering just how many other companies have been
Sajith
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book Work Rules by Laszlo Block is very nice book and its regarding the work culture, recruitment process and regarding the performance management in Google. Best part which i like was their recruitment process in google - they take lot of effort to take their googlers because they conceder their employees as a valuable resource. They all do lot of activities in google to develop go oglers skill by ask question from different department so the employees will start learning from something ...more
Piotr Uryga
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful and interesting on how one could build successful company. I'm not fan of heavyweight performance review process, but Google's data driven approach to run HR people operations is amazing.
Focus on hiring great talent is also something that every executive should read about.
Lukasz Nalepa
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, this is THE most valuable book I have read this year. Goes directly to my "must read" shelf, that I'm constantly recommending to everone I know :) For me, this book is not necessarily about Google, or HR department. This book is about how to stay sane and humane on daily basis. Moreover, many ideas in this book just lay there and beg to be implemented! :)
Azzaz
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For HR professionals and People who want to learn how to live and lead reading this book.
■●■Reread■●■
Rob Thompson
About the book: Work Rules! takes us through the inner workings of Google, one of the most powerful and successful companies in the world. Bock tells us precisely how Google pulls off this feat while consistently being ranked as the best employer in the world.

About the author: Laszlo Bock is the senior vice president of People Operations at Google. He is responsible for attracting, developing and retaining more than 50,000 Googlers based around the world. During his time there, Google has been
Matt McAlear
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, business
A very thought provoking book! I don't agree with everything in the book, maybe 70% or so, but even the stuff I don't agree with is very interesting to think about.

Here's a few takeaways I got from the book:
- Everyone can look at themselves as a founder even if it's within their own department. Having this outlook instills ownership and responsibility that invokes positive action.
- Typical management responsibilities don't always make sense at every level of the company and could be beneficial
Chris
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Some useful insights. Nothing earth-shattering, but there's some practical stuff that I think I can use as a manager.

Even though there are some innovations coming from Google, I find their approach surprisingly traditional. For example, they haven't made any "out there" changes like making everyone's salary public, or similar fads. It's good to hear that they also try new things and bump their heads like any other company. I guess the luxury they have is that they can run small scale
Alexandra
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
yes! a book with actionable steps - overviews and teeny details. will read again.

I loved the surveys to see how people are collaborating in teams and which managers are doing well and what that means to their teams. double blind manager studies show 8 (admittedly bland) traits of good managers:
1) be a good coach - think about employee strengths and circumstances before 1:1s to partner with employees t make solutions
2) empower without micromanaging
3) express interest in team-member success and
Pritesh
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2016
Interesting insights on how Google works, Googlers make decisions and learn from their wins and losses. A couple things that stood out for me were 1) the willingness to experiment - there are always a number of small experiments running. Without the fear of, we may be stuck with this if it does not work. 2) Learning and systemizing from what makes the successful people successful in Google. Overall a good read. Can be a tad self congratulatory at times :)

My notes.

1. Checklist for managers is
Jacques Bezuidenhout
This book shouldn't be taken as some sort of HR Bible. It is purely the perspective of how Google does things, and what works for them.

A lot of the things they do, simply isn't practical or possible in small / non-billion dollar revenue companies.
That being said, there are a tons of small things in the book that any company can do to:
1. Hire the right people
2. Keep your best people
3. Build a strong culture
4. Be transparent
5. Show compassion
6. Trust people

I fully agree with a bunch of ideas:
Askorbinka
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am sure, somewhat idealistically, that work shouldnt be miserable, it can be energizing and exciting. This book is about how to make a work such a place from the Google HRs perspective. A lot of cases, examples, even cases of failures. Very clear structure, tons of references Id like to read someday, too. ...more
Alexa
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very insightful. I enjoyed this book a lot, though I did find it a bit lengthy and repetitive at times.
Overall, I got a lot of valuable information. I can't currently apply most of the principles to my own work, but I think it's still good to be aware of them.
RC1140
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reasonably ok and interesting book regarding some of the directions that google have taken , as usual dont cargo cult what is presented. There are some interesting concepts and information presented, but they would be best applied by someone in HR.
Erika RS
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, leadership
This book was kind of boring... and that's a mark a high praise.

I've worked at Google for a decade, as a manager for nearly half of that. This book really does describe the way that Google structures the workplace to create an innovative environment. If I hadn't been a bit bored, if I had been surprised, it probably would have been because the book didn't ring true. Instead, this book explores examples of what has worked and what hasn't worked at Google to create a strong culture.

The first two
Arthur Meursault
May 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Probably would have made a better Powerpoint presentation than a book.

Laszlo Bock starts Work Rules by telling the reader the names of all the important people Laszlo Bock has met and worked with, and it goes downhill from there. Did you know that Laszlo cold-called 8 HR executives at GE and Pepsi because he wanted to work there, but only Anne Abaya at GE (I've never heard of her either) returned his call? Six weeks later, he was hired as (please note the capital letters) Vice President of
Agenor
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A very good insight into how Google seeks to recruit and retain talent, by far its largest asset. There are some sections that were revelatory (e.g. performance on brainteasers in interviews has no correlation with employee performance, impact of cash vs. non-cash bonuses) but others that should be quite obvious (employees performance differs so their pay should also).

Reading the book one gets the impression that Google is some sort of über-employer where employees all love their work, are
Kaitlin
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

Whew! That was an intense business read -- a lot of material to go through.

I found parts of this book very interesting and very useful. And certain sections to be more pragmatic than others and I really identified with them.

I think what you get out of this book is dependent on the obvious of why you are reading it in the first place (do you have a work-related agenda, or is it just interest). If it is the latter, you may find certain parts repetitive or just plain not useful. Also, it depends on
Montando um home ...: Home Office 1 1 Dec 04, 2019 02:01AM

• The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • The Employee Experience Advantage: How to Win the War for Talent by Giving Employees the Workspaces They Want, the Tools They Need, and a Culture They Can Celebrate
  • Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success
  • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • The Infinite Game
Laszlo Bock leads Google's people function, responsible for attracting, developing, retaining, and delighting "Googlers." He believes that giving people freedom and supplementing our instincts with hard science are steps on the path to making work meaningful and people happy.

Laszlo's first book, WORK RULES!, is available for pre-order now and will come out on April 7, 2015. As of January 2015 it

News & Interviews

“If you’re achieving all your goals, you’re not setting them aggressively enough.” 13 likes
“If your goals are ambitious and crazy enough, even failure will be a pretty good achievement.” 11 likes