Start by marking “Interstellar Cinderella” as Want to Read:

Once upon a planetoid,
amid her tools and sprockets,
a girl named Cinderella dreamed
of fixing fancy rockets.

With a little help from her fairy godrobot, Cinderella is going to the ball--but when the prince's ship has mechanical trouble, someone will have to zoom to the rescue! Readers will thank their lucky stars for this irrepressible fairy tale retelling, its independent
Published May 5th 2015 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Interstellar Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interstellar Cinderella

⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
This is a fantastic, gurrrl power re-telling of Cinderella for kids. Cinderella wears pants instead of gowns and her passion is working on spaceships and fixing things. She doesn't want to marry the prince, but she will be his Chief Mechanic! Characters are a good representation of diversity, content is educational... it's short, but a total win. I would definitely recommend this for young children, boys and girls. I would frame and hang some of these illustrations too. Wonderful! :)

Original pos
Carmen
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
A feminist Cinderella in space! Cinderella is a pink-haired, freckle-faced little white girl.

Once upon a planetoid,
amid her tools and sprockets,
a girl named Cinderella dreamed
of fixing fancy rockets.

She fixed the robot dishwashers
and zoombrooms in her care,
but late each night she snuck away
to study ship repair.

When everyone is invited to the Prince's Royal Space Parade, Cinderella's wicked stepmother forbids her to
Panda Incognito
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are gorgeous and unique, the message of the story is positive, and it's original. What not to like? The rhymes in the story sometimes seem forced, but it's still a terrific book, and I greatly appreciate the following three things which are rare to find in girl power books.

1. The book takes for granted that it makes perfect sense for a young girl to be interested in fixing rockets, and wastes no time carrying on about inferior girls who don't like rockets or people who don't th
Archit Ojha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Cinderella story and what a story!

Who in the world would have imagined that Cinderella could live in a different planet, in space and still had the same problems caused by stepmother and stepsisters!

Brilliantly put and well written.
Pooja
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Our modern Cinderella is in space who likes to fix everything! She is invited by the prince to the Gravity-free-ball! Can she make it?

Terrific ending!
David Schaafsma
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The whole family is reading all these Goodreads Children's Illustrated book nominees for 2015 and rating all of them. This is #20 of 20 for us!!!
We're done!

This was probably our second highest rated book overall, with three five star ratings. Only Princess and the Pony had more (five) five star ratings, which I voted for as best picture book of the year. But this was close, and I was the only one who didn't absolutely LOVE it quite as much as everyone else. But I did really, really like it a rea
Isa Lavinia
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

The cutest girl power book for children!
Cinderella loves to fix things, but her real dream is to fix fancy ships.
When the time comes for the Prince's Ball, as the story always goes, Cinderella is forbidden to attend. But with the help of her Fairy Godrobot, and the faithful company of her robotic mouse Murgatroyd, Cinderella saves the day and achieves her dreams!

Mehsi
This was one of my Christmas presents from me boyfriend! Thanks dear!

I have been meaning to read this book for some time. Fairy Tale Retellings? Check! Awesome art? Check! Original/creative idea? Check! It had all the makings of being an epic picture book, and after reading it, I can definitely say that it is that and more. This Cinderella retelling is now my favourite of all that are out there.
This Cinderella kicks butt, knows how to fix stuff, isn’t afraid to learn new things, even if that mea
Skip
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Skip by: Carmen
Shelves: childrens
Great concept (girl spaceship mechanic), the main character's spunky appearance is also excellent, the illustrations are very colorful and the rhymes are often charming, but occasionally forced. The problem is that the book is about ten pages too short, leaving aside depth of characters, how they interrelate, and the basic coherence of the story. Thank goodness we all know the underlying story.
Kristen
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yes to cool chicks who like space, robots, and fixing things. Yes to rhyming text that flows smoothly and doesn't compromise interesting vocabulary. Yes to a twist on a classic fairy tale that has big pictures for a group share and isn't overly long. And yes to the just-right ending!
Ana Rînceanu
Girl power + space science = Interstellar Cinderella (a sci-fi masterpiece for all ages)
Basma
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely and quirky twist to the Cinderella story we know. I really appreciate the ending.
Lydia
<3 there will be a review of this book to come!
Artemis
It's a pink-haired Cinderella as a mechanic, on planetoids and in spaceships. She has a robot pet mouse and a fairy godrobot. She's always fixing stuff. What's not to like?

I found the 'Interstellar Cinderella' picture book to be more interesting and inventive (get it?) than the YA novel 'Cinder', which features a cyborg Cinderella who is also a mechanic.

'Interstellar Cinderella' is cute, colourful, fun, and full of good rhymes and bits and bobs on every page. The sci-fi, intergalactic twist on t
Kristine Hansen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This story made me sad.

OK, I get it. Girl power and all that. We don't need romance or to marry a prince, we just need a useful career where we make a difference and gain a feeling of fulfillment. This book is full of just that.

So somewhere romance died and we missed the funeral. I'm disturbed by the constant feminist agenda being shoved down the throats of children in the name of political correctness.

While this book delivers on the premise - the rhymes work, art is fun and colorful, the whol
Elevetha
I keep hearing this book thrown around, uttered in the same breath as "feminist". This doesn't make any sense to me. This is just a sci-fi retelling of Cinderella in which the only difference is that Cinderella says she's too young for marriage, but will be his chief mechanic. (view spoiler) To me, that was her saying, we'll still be friends and when I get older, our relationship might lead to marriage, but I'm not ready for it right now. How exactly is ...more
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is quite possibly the best children's picture book I have ever read. I have completely fallen in love with Meg Hunt's artistry. Seriously, anything she illustrates I will read, no hesitation.
The story itself was so cute, and I loved the morals behind it...the ending was just too perfect. This book took me back to my childhood more than any picture book has before. I will hold on to this book not only for myself, but also in the hopes that I get to share it with a little one someday.
Miss
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
this is so cute

guys it's a story where cinderella fixes the prince's ship at the interstellar ball and when he asks to marry her says they're too young but she'll totally be his royal mechanic

it's so cute

4 stars
SCPSReads
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hope in 2nd grade says:
This book is cool. My favorite part is when she zaps the broken ship with her socket wrench because it is nice to help people. I also liked the part where the robot mouse called out the letters SOS to ask for help. It is a good book and you should read it.
Abbey
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytimes
Read for Second Grade Field Trips and the kids were hooked from the start. A few groans from the word Cinderella, but those were squashed with a simple, "yeah, but it's in space!" I think the teachers like this one too.
Beth
Cinderella, rock on with your bad self. I love the message of girl power in this futuristic version of a beloved fairy tale.
Rachel Green
I love this retelling of Cinderella! Cinderella and her mouse, Murgatroyd, live on a planetoid in space. Instead of sweeping the chimney, Interstellar Cinderella is a robot mechanic in a beautiful spacesuit who leaves her socket wrench behind at the Gravity-Free Ball. She refuses marriage ("I'm far too young for marriage" but agrees to "be your chief mechanic!" What a positive story for young girls and boys alike. The rhyming aspect and bright illustrations would make this an excellent read-alou ...more
Whitney Hemsath
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, if anyone is looking for a cute girl power children's book, I just read Interstellar Cinderella, and it was darling. Set in space, this rhyming version of the classic tale has Cinderella winning the prince over not with her looks but with her abilities as a mechanic. It was a fun read that even my boys enjoyed.
Maxwell Rae
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this reimagining and the pictures were great.
Baby Bookworm
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hey there, everyone! Today’s book is an awesome girl-power twist on a classic children’s story: Interstellar Cinderella, written by Deborah Underwood and illustrated by Meg Hunt, a sci-fi spin on the Cinderella tale.

Cinderella dreams of one day being a ship’s mechanic. Every day, she toils for her wicked stepmother and stepsisters, fixing their robots around the house, but by night she reads ma
Annie
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm seeing a lot of great feminist takes on the princess story recently, and I'm predisposed to like them, but this is a particularly appealing entry. A verse retelling of Cinderella as a cosmic mechanic with illustrations inspired by manga. It's a book that I would love to give to every little girl I see. The verse scans perfectly, and I could build my wardrobe around the color palette the illustrator used. And who can resist a Cinderella who saves the day by repairing the prince's spaceship? N ...more
Elena
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
In this cute sci-fi girl power retelling of Cinderella, Cinderella chats with the prince about rocket ships at the gravity-free ball and leaves her sonic socket wrench behind. When he arrives in search of her:
The prince's cargo door revealed
a broken craft within.
"The girl I seek can fix a ship.
So--who'd like to begin?"
And then comes the wonderful resolution:

This is a great twist on the classic story, highly recommended.
Michelle
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like a strong female lead with a classic twist? Cute futuristic drawings accompanies this story of a young lady who just wants to work on ships and rockets but her horrible step-family keeps her locked up and busy doing jobs around the house until her godrobot shows up and Cinderella is off making ships fly in a happily ever after, girl-gets-the-dream-job story.
Becki

Holy crap that was a lot of fun.

What a fun and inventive way on the Cinderella story. Cinderella is not our hapless hero needing woodland creatures to help her she has her trusty screwdriver and mechanical mouse. This is a great, great interpretation on Cinderella and maybe an even better one. Cinderella actually saves herself.
Irena Freitas
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Achei bem legal que o fato da Cinderela querer ser mecânica não foi usado como forma de mostrar que ela não é "como a maioria das garotas". Era só um interesse natural da personagem assim como podia ser gostar de costurar vestidos.

E nem preciso dizer que as ilustrações da Meg Hunt são nota mil né? Cada página é mais linda que a outra e eu queria colar tudo na minha parede.
  • The Princess and the Pony
  • Dream Animals: A Bedtime Journey
  • Red: A Crayon's Story
  • Naked!

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)