Start by marking “How to Read a Story: (Illustrated Children's Book, Picture Book for Kids, Read Aloud Kindergarten Books)” as Want to Read:

Step One: Find a story. (A good one.)
Step Two: Find a reading buddy. (Someone nice.)
Step Three: Find a reading spot. (Couches are cozy.)
Now: Begin.
Accomplished storytellers Kate Messner and Mark Siegel chronicle the process of becoming a reader: from pulling a book off the shelf and finding someone with whom to share a story, to reading aloud, predicting what will happen,
Published May 5th 2015 by Chronicle Books (first published April 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read a Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read a Story

Start your review of How to Read a Story: (Illustrated Children's Book, Picture Book for Kids, Read Aloud Kindergarten Books)
La Coccinelle
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Perhaps this should actually be titled How to Read a Story Aloud. If you're looking for tips on how to read novels while doing your best imitation of a hermit, you'll be disappointed; but if you're looking for a cute manual about reading books out loud with a friend, then this is just the thing.

The illustrations by Mark Siegel are really cute, and tell their own story within the story. The book is laid out in a series of ten steps, with good explanations for each. However, I thought the first
Jillian Heise
This is the most fabulous charmingly delightful picture book about reading and stories! I can already predict this will become a beginning of the year read aloud in classrooms everywhere. Younger and older kids (and adults) will all appreciate the premise and way it is executed. I couldn't help but smile as I read it and the advice it gives about reading a story and appreciating it with others. I absolutely adore it and the format along with the references to the book within the book (view ...more
Kristine
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great story for modeling how to read any story including word attack, predicting, book selection, fluency, and more.

Would make a great mentor text for word choice.
Donalyn
Delightful book about reading and stories. I will be giving this book to relatives for many years to come.

Katie Lalor
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was a great book for our kick off of 'what's true for us a readers,' prompting students to think about how they like to read a book. After we read the book and created our list, students were able to share and then create class expectations for our independent reading time. It was a story all of us could connect to.
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book made me smile while reading it. Ms. Messner has written a sweet book that will be perfect for bedtimes and classrooms everywhere. I like how the book has a story within a story within a story (The Princess, The Dragon, and The Robot (the story the characters read)). I like that the MCs are a kid and a dog not 2 kids. The illustrations are amazing. They capture the spirit of the book perfectly.
*NOTE* I got a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Edie
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just the right book to encourage reading and sharing, with the steps on how to read a book to a friend (maybe even yourself). Sentences just long enough to inform but not intimidate, language a bit challenging at times, illustrations that place the child right in the book....
Georgia Vallee
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a fun read aloud and discussion for the beginning of a school year! Celebrate the book knowledge students already have and then introduce classroom routines and expectations for independent reading time. Hmmm... perhaps students could help to create an anchor chart for the classroom!
Scott Robins
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a perfect book about the joy and love of reading books. Every budding children's librarian looking for a primer on how to conduct story times needs this book.
Liza Nahas
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute step-by-step story to inspire young readers.
Gigi
Excellent read aloud for beginning of the year!
Sadia Mansoor
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, children
Love this book for teaching how to read a book step by step. Recommended to all the youngsters (Y)

Enjoy learning these steps here.. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th-oW...
Carolanne
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A 'must read' to primary classes at the beginning of each school year! :-)
Alex  Baugh
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: randomly-reading
Sure, your young readers may already know how to read, but do they really know how to read a story. In How to Read a Story, Kate Messner outlines 10 simple to follow steps for really reading a story. Each step elaborates just what is involves.

Step 1: Find a Story begins with a little boy surrounded by books about all kinds of things and suggests picking one that is about something he likes.

Step 2: Find a Reading Buddy shows our hero approaching different family members and has suggestions about
Emily Drake
Publisher: Chronical Books
Date: 2015
Genre: Children`s literature, Fiction, How to
Pages: 27

Summary:

This text teaches children step by step how to be a good reader. The book starts at step 1: Find a book and it goes all the way to step 10: Reread the story if you want. The language in the book, and the way it gives instructions makes the idea of picking out a book sound
Dawn Keys
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This nonfiction book is a great way to introduce the process of how to read. It is written for younger students in grades K through 2.

This nonfiction book is written and illustrated almost like a picture book, so it makes it attractive to children reading it. It has ten steps the reader has to follow in order to read a story. It includes everything from finding the story, to encouraging fluency or as they say in step 9, "When you get to the exciting parts, make your voice sound exciting too."

Margie
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I first hold a new book in my hands, no matter the format, I remove the dust jacket and open it up. I look at the layout, design and palette used, flap edge to flap edge. Next I look at the book case to see if it matches the dust jacket. If it's anything but a picture book the color and texture generally have significance. There might be a single element embossed on the front. Lifting the cover I check the endpapers in the front and at the back. As soon as I pass the title page, verso and ...more
Heidi-Marie
Fabulous! Both as a storytime reader and now as a parent. This is perfect. Glad my husband saw this in passing at the new Family Study area in the BYU library.

11/15/17 Used as closer for Random theme. This was actually a pinch hitter when last night I realized one of the books I was planning never came in from my hold. Still had this checked out for my stepkids, so I brought it in. Kids and parents really enjoyed it. Might have missed everyone coming up to listen at the end. But they liked the
Diane
Step 1: Find a Story
Step 2: Find a Reading Buddy
Step 3: Find a Cozy Reading Spot
Step 4: Look at the book's cover
Step 5: Open the book. (This is the exciting part!)

The list continues to include reading in different voices for different characters, sounding words and using picture clues, "Taking a break" to predict what might happen next.

Love this! A great book that can be enjoyed first, but then good for author's purpose, voice and/or procedural writing.
Ms Threlkeld
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
As a former reading teacher and current elementary library I am probably a tad biased, but I thought this book was engaging, straight forward and informative. I can't imagine a kid picking this up on her own, but it would make an excellent classroom read aloud.
Jill Cd
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you need to teach kids or adults how to read aloud, put this in their hands!
Kary
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always love a book about books! And I love Kate Messner - her writing style is just so cozy. Kind of reminiscent of Beverly Cleary.
Amanda Harrison
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud, to-buy
Perfect read-aloud celebrates books.
Mandy
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love love this book! I will be sharing this with my class this year and every class in the future!
Karen
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
Very cute book!...krb 7/31/16
Cheriee Weichel
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If only it was possible I would give this book many more than five stars. Mark Siegel's illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to Messner's brilliant text. I love that this is a story within a story. I can't wait to read it to our older students who read with little buddies. I can't wait to read it to the younger students because there is just so much here about making sense of text.
What a jewel of a book!
Rebecca
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How to Read a Story is on my favorite book shelf because I think its a great book to read and have in my future classroom. The story goes over 3 steps to read a story and is a great social story for any student that does not have the prior knowledge of how to actually read a story!

In the reading classroom, teachers can use this story to teach the process of how to read a story. This book would be a great guide to be used in primary grades in the fall for how to read a story.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to read this book to every child who comes to the library.

A step-by-step guide to reading a story. If you love books, it doesn't seem like this is important, but if you are not read to often, or you struggle with reading, this is a great book, that I think will make you look at books and stories differently.

This would be a great beginning of the school year book to read to kids at library time.
Kalynda
LOVED IT!!!
So clever, so cute, so "igniting the love of literacy"! There are just so many connections (even beyond the igniting the love of literacy...although, truly, what more is there?) that this book is a must-buy for me. Plus, I am so excited that found my book for first read to my group of first graders (and maybe my second graders), and although I can see it for various lessons, it is one that you can read and read again to the class. Nice!
Sandy Brehl
Many books are hybrids of fiction and nonfiction, and this is a perfect example. The story within the story allows for humor and multiple examples/demonstrations of the best strategies for reading independently and effectively. The boy and his dog the diverse family and friends, and the clear, concise directions make this a sure winner for readers, teachers, parents, and pets!). A how-to book at it's best!

• City Dog, Country Frog
  • Introducing Teddy: A Gentle Story About Gender and Friendship
  • Weeds Find a Way
  • Nana in the City
  • Love
  • How Do You Say? / ¿Cómo Se Dice?
Kate Messner is an award-winning author, TED 2012 speaker, and former middle school English teacher. Her books for kids include THE BRILLIANT FALL OF GIANNA Z.,SUGAR AND ICE, and EYE OF THE STORM (Walker/Bloomsbury Dec. 2010) the MARTY MCGUIRE series (Scholastic), SEA MONSTER'S FIRST DAY, and OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW (Chronicle, Books). Kate also wrote SPITFIRE and CHAMPLAIN AND THE SILENT ONE, ...more

News & Interviews