Start by marking “Half Girlfriend” as Want to Read:
Half Girlfriend

Half Girlfriend

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  35,171 ratings  ·  2,410 reviews
HALF GIRLFRIEND (HINDI) Once upon a time, there was a Bihari boy called Madhav. He fell in love with a girl from Delhi called Riya. Madhav didn't speak English well. Riya did. Madhav wanted a relationship. Riya didn't. Riya just wanted friendship. Madhav didn't. Riya suggested a compromise. She agreed to be his half girlfriend. From the author of the blockbuster novels Fiv ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 260 pages
Published September 30th 2014 by Rupa Publications India

To ask other readers questions about Half Girlfriend, please sign up.
Neha It appears as though Chetan Bhagat has started writing books just so that they can be converted into movies. This one is a perfect bollywood script…moreIt appears as though Chetan Bhagat has started writing books just so that they can be converted into movies. This one is a perfect bollywood script with a simple middle-class boy and a super rich (extremely pretty) girl, the best college in India (again!) , and (omg!) a super search at the end! :D Well this happens just in the movies. I actually enjoy reading Chetan Bhagat's books but this one, I would say, isn't that great....(less)
Rhalyn David I think we must understand that what he is trying to express is a backward culture embracing the technology offered by the world.

If you were born in…more

If you were born in the mid 90's, you would have seen how the world evolved and change and you would appreciate what Chetan is writing.(less)

·  35,171 ratings  ·  2,410 reviews

Archana Amaragandhi
Oct 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Chetan! Chetan! Who are you?
Where are you headed, do you have a clue?
I bought your book and read it through,
Trust me dear, there is nothing new!

A horny hero and a pretty heroine,
A prestigious college, stereotypic routine!
The story line is an absolute miss,
Front page ad in TOI, for a book like this?

The back cover talks about Hindi and English,
All that is just plain marketing rubbish.
This book breaks no language differences,
Hasn’t even escaped Bhagat’s prejudiced preferences.

I loved you once when
Riku Sayuj
Aug 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-to-be-read

The Thought Process of a Genius

Once upon a time, there was a guy who wanted to be an author. He wrote a couple of decent works and then got caught in a loop. This reviewer is setting it down here, so that he can try breaking out of it and stop crowding out other better-written books.

The Conception:

1. He has convinced himself that he is supposed to be the common man's author
2. So has a responsibility to pick up mundane topics and themes
3. And they have to be cliched and not too intricate - becau
Sameer Kamat
I see that some folks have already rated this book, when it hasn't even been released. So I thought why not review it as well, before reading it.

To be honest, I haven't read any of his books yet. So, I'm not going to be judgemental (look Ma, no rating!). But I've read enough reviews to conclude that the reactions are generally polarised.

For the lazy ones who don't want to type out a detailed review after reading it, here are a couple of templates that might help. Just edit it and you have your
Rohini Karmakar
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I generally refrain from reviewing books because I know the hard work that goes into penning down 250 odd pages of literature. I refrain from being unnecessarily harsh on someone, when I have a fair idea of the pain they must have gone through.
But this one compelled me to write, not to praise its excellence, or even to rant about its mediocrity. Infact, I was shocked at the insincerity of the author.
To begin with, he didn't even attempt at writing a book, he wrote a screenplay. But he should hav
Saiber
Nov 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again-bahh
YES, I know it might have come across as a major surprise to all those who know me, I did infact read this book. I read it all. And I took some time out and did not post the review. But now it's here.

Major Spoilers ahead.
(As I have ranted the whole story basically. I NEEDED some kind of therapeutical venting after I lost so many of my brain cells reading this.)

I had absolutely no plans of reading another clichéd novel with bad writing and predictable plot and annoying characters. But one of
Ronak Gajjar
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Half Review - Full ka toh zamana hi noi hain!
Concept: -1.0/5.0
Execution: -1.5/5.0
Characters Bespoken: 0.0 /5.0
Cover: 2.0/5.0
Overall: 0.0/5.0
My hand froze in mid-air. You cannot pick up a chocolate when someone has just mentioned a death.
- Like you really really need to mention it!!
description
Why it always have to be the same cycle:
• Humara bechara helpless Hero[Our poor helpless Hero] (**Zero) – Check
• The antique Heroine (**Jisko pyaar karne main koi dikkat noi bas saath rehne main nakhra hain) – Check
Ankit Dubey
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think Chetan Bhagat gets way more stick than he deserves. The truth is, he writes and India reads. Most of his criticism stems from the purists or the "hard-core literature fans" who can't stand the fact that he is the most popular writer from India. Yes, his writing style is nothing compared to an Ayn Rand, a Rohinton Mistry or a Khaled Hosseini, but someone who is selling so much must be doing something right. And he is.

Bhagat always takes up issues which resonate with the masses. In Half Gi
Srikari
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-authors
3 stars!!!
description

Did I LOVE this book? No. Did I LOATHE it then? No. Am I crazy? NO. :P

I was so confused as to how i was going to review this book because i had mixed feelings. But i can say one thing for sure, this was the only book by Chetan Bhagat i could stand!! I like him as a writer (LOVE actually) but his stories never really get to me)

Anyway, This book was about a guy called Madhav. He comes from a "not so royal anymore" royal family from the state of Bihar. Bihar is one of the most backward
Manan Puri
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
1. A (portrayed as) loser guy: Check
2. A girl supposedly out of his league (and one page dedicated to the introduction her looks): Check
3. Guy's love at first sight (because of smell of her perfume or any random reason): Check
4. His pursuit (in his head) to get her (to his bed): Check
5. Girl eventually falling for him after incessant attempts (for #4): Check
6. One page dedicated to the love making: Check
7. Weave a story around 1-6: Check

'Friends with Benefits' or "I can walk Englis' is a more ap
Nikhat Hetavkar
Nov 06, 2014 marked it as gave-up-on
Shelves: never-ever
Hah. I've read every Chetan Bhagat book(if we can call those sentences lumped together a book) only to argue with my friends as to why I absolutely depise his writing.

So again a CB novel arrives on the market. And every social media page is flooded with my friends( I may have to disown them after this) exclaiming "Chetan Bhagat - My favourite author" "The best author" and likewise idiotic comments.

After flipkart taunting me for weeks, I finally decided to pick up the book and form a well devel
Nu-Jahat-Jabin
May 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
বই - খাঁটি বাংলা ভাষায় বইয়ের টাইটেল অনুবাদ করার পর জিনিসটা আর যাই হোক দৃষটি সুখকর কিছু না। নাম দেখে যদি খানিকটা ও আগরহ জেগে থাকে তাহলে নামটা বাংলায় অনুবাদ করে নেন, সেই অনুবাদ শুনতে যেমন লাগে বইটাও ঠিক সেই মানের!!

জনরা - একটা পারফেকট বলিউড মুভি সকরিপট!!

নিকোলাস সপারক এর বই পড়ার আগেই তার বই উপজিবয করে বানানো মুভি দেখেছি। এরপরে যতবারই নিকোলাসের কোন বই পড়ি মনে হয় মুভির জনয লিখছেন। চেতন ভগতের বযাপারটা আবার ঠিক উলটো,তার বই পড়ে মনে হয়েছিল পুরাই ছিনেমা!! পরে দেখি আসলেই সেই বই থেকে ছিনেমাই বানানো হয়।
এই
Umesh Kesavan
Oct 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: iwe, novels, fiction
I thought Chetan Bhagat can't get worser than " Revolution 2020" but after reading his latest novel , Revolution 2020 feels like a better book. So,looking forward to his next novel so that I can feel that "half girlfriend" is a better one.
R.k. Bisht
Aug 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
A Huge Putoff {eyes rolling}

There are better books out there and there better writers out there! Even if you don't want to read Rushdie or Jhumpa Lahiri there are select few who write contemporary, interesting stories! I'd personally recommend Zero Defect if you want a fast paced, and thought provoking read.

Zero Defect by Aarohan Atwal

There is also a lesser known (among indians) bookShantaram though not written by and indian author is an interesting contemporary book set in Mumbai.

So, open your mind and read something be
Priyanka
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Actual rating - HALF star

So the story goes like this:

>Bihari Boy Madhav has trouble speaking English
>He notices Delhi Girl Riya, get this - only because she is tall(applause)
>The girl is of course tall, slender, pretty with long legs and long fingers. (Not to forget, beautiful eyebrows)
>He makes eye contact but does not fall in love(gasp!) but is determined to talk to her.
I quote ::
But I felt something deep inside, strong enough for my heart to say, You have to talk to this girl
Pooja
Dec 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: My enemies
Shelves: owns, 100-pages
With all due respect, only Half Star.

Navaneeta
Dec 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
The sense of achievement that fills me up as I move to mark this book as "I am finished" is enormous. I am finally, actually finished with Bhagat and his scripts. This was my most-difficult-to read-Bhagat, more than Three Mistakes of My Life or Revolution 2020 for that matter. You see Chetan Bhagat and I go back a long way. Bhagat was like this cool guy with whom I can be myself when we met with Five Point Someone. Those days when I was immersed in the sadness of Velutha in the backwaters of Ker ...more
Shoa Khan
what a piece of trash..this book actually managed to fall short of my already meagre expectations.
Chetan Bhagat has over-exploited way too many stereotypes in this book.
The stuff about girls giggling senselessly at just about anything a rich guy says is especially repulsive.
Vaibhav Anand
Aug 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I haven't read this, nor do I intend to. Funny that Goodreads allows people to rate books that haven't even released.
Aastha Swaroop
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is one of those books you just pick up and then cannot put down. Mainly because you want believe in it. You want to believe that such love still exists.. such coincidences still happen... that fate gives your love a second chance. I love how Chetan Bhagat writes. He does not care about using heavy vocabulary like most of the Indian authors which personally breaks my interest in reading because referring a dictionary every second line is no fun. He relates to today's youth and his stories tota ...more
Vineet
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own

Throughout the novel, Bhagat mesmerizes you with careful written description of things. Here’s a gem, ‘the club sandwich, which had a tomato, cheese and lettuce filling.’ Yeah. Okay. Good. Thank you for telling me. Also, they are downright hilarious. See, ‘my voice firmer with food inside me’ or ‘I got into a yellow taxi.’

This novel doesn’t even have those cute awwww moments, you know? All the scenes are so overdone in books and cinemas of the past that you feel they are plagiarized, like girlfr
Trishia Nashtaran
Mar 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
বলকবাসটার হিনদি সিনেমার সকরিপট পড়লাম যেন। চেতন ভগতের বই আগে পড়িনি। তার বই অবলমবনে তৈরি একটা হিনদি সিনেমা দেখা আছে শুধু। তার সব গলপই বলিউডবানধব নাকি একটি চলচচিতরের সাফলযের পরে তার লেখায় বলিউড ভর করেছে সেটা বলতে পারব না তাই। এই বই থেকে শুধুমাতর বলিউডি সিনেমাই হতে পারে, এটুকু জানি। পৌরুষদীপত (পড়ুন হরনি) দেহাতি নায়ক, সুতনবী দুঃখী ধনীর দুলালী নায়িকা, ফিলমি (পড়ুন নযাকাচু) পরেম, নায়িকার নখরামো, নায়কের হিরোগিরি, সেকসিজম, পরবল জাতীয়তাবাদ, বিদেশি লোকেশন সব আছে। বলিউডপরেমী যারা হিনদি শিখতে শিখতে ইংলিশ শেখা ...more
Sailesh Mohanty
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read it. Or rather I survived it. It was delivered today, nicely wrapped up with a cool bookmark and that is where all the good things about reading this book ends.

I am certain this book will be a blockbuster, a game changer of sorts and Chetan Bhagat will continue to dish out overtly dramatized Bollywood scripts as novels. I am also certain that Chetan Bhagat uses a software that does the scripting for him.. All he does is probably enter the lead character names, the location of the story an
Shishir Chaudhary
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Ordinary life is undervalued, as G K Chesterton puts it in his The Defense of Penny Dreadfuls, and is reflected quite strangely in the amount of hatred that popular fiction, in the form of paperbacks, attract. This strange phenomenon has accentuated lately to a higher level where a person reading Chetan Bhagat’s work is looked down upon. His work is openly termed as trash, vulgar and even an insult to literature. His work and likewise many other paperbacks - the Rs. 150 books - are no doubt igno ...more
Avanthika
Oct 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
HALF of anything, literally ANYTHING irritates me. The problem is, when I want something, I will have all of it for myself or I won't bother to give a damn about it. Half of that particular thing, according to me is pointless and useless. Say for example, my grades, either they'll be "A" or "E". Strictly I won't stand in-between the two extremes. I just don't understand what intrigued me to buy this IITian's stupid-desi-just-written-for-the-sake-of-bollywood novel that revolves around pointless- ...more
Khushboo
Oct 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
How do I rate a book when I just skipped a major portion of it. I pretty much skipped the new York portion coz I already knew how it would end.
very predictable very filmy.
first part similar to rock star. and then throw in a little highway.
of course the protagonist is noble , someone similar to the one in revolution 2020. girl is very beautiful like all his other novels.
What is love! to be only interested in kissing the girl with out knowing anything about her( in fact learns it all later)
and b
Shilpa bagla
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
The only reason I am giving this book two stars is because I am a huge fan of Chetan Bhagat and love his books but this book was nothing more than a waste of time and a huge disappointment. There was not much of a story plot and the entire plot felt as though it was overly exaggerated.I love Chetan Bhagat's writing but in this book it felt too monotonous and the story,the writing everything felt as though I have already read it several times (which I probably did in all his other books!!). The ...more
Archit Ojha
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-we-own
Half Girlfriend is a story about a boy meets a girl and falls in love. Madhav is a boy from Bihar, who doesn't know much English. Riya is a girl from high society and speaks fluent English.

I have enjoyed previous books by Chetan Bhagat but honestly, this book didn't click much.
Swarnalatha
Aug 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Chetan's books when I was in my 10th grade (around 2008). It all started when my friends used to gush and discuss at length about his books. And with those gush fests piquing my curiosity, I gave it a go. Blame that immature mind, I went gaga over his books and followed them religiously. I considered him the literary genius of our generation. Facepalm! Few years down the line when I re-read those books, I realized what an idiot I have been all through. While I couldn't go beyon ...more
Gokul S
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Note : I am not one of those arm chair intellectuals who 'hates' Chetan Bhagat and his books. Then again, I am not a big fan of his works either, except for 2 States maybe, which I consider a brilliant and realistic effort.

Scene 1. Posh college in Delhi. Cut to the rustic yet beautiful Bihari village. Cut to the rich and exotic New York city. Boy. Girl. Romance. Kiss. Tragedy. Bam! Say hello to a perfect little Bollywood script. Chetan Bhagat's latest offering is exactly that and nothing more.
What do you think it is romantic book r not???? 7 11 Mar 20, 2019 09:08AM
so many negative response to this book..what do you say ?? 39 249 May 17, 2018 10:59PM
Romantic Novels Bestsellers? 3 7 Jul 17, 2017 07:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Not my book 2 16 Feb 23, 2017 06:53PM
Chetan Bhagat New Book Coming Soon 2 13 Aug 19, 2016 03:45AM
The Urban Fiction...: Chetan Bhagat : Half-Girlfriend 1 17 Jan 16, 2016 01:30PM
About Half Girl Friend 1 16 Feb 28, 2015 12:55AM
  • The Homing Pigeons...
  • Take Me Home: The Inspiring Stories of 20 Entrepreneurs from Small Town India with Big-Time Dreams
  • The Road From Elephant Pass
  • After the War Is Over
  • Bankerupt
  • Just Married, Please Excuse
  • When Only Love Remains
  • Wanted: Mail-Order Mistress (Gentlemen of Fortune, #3)
  • The (In)Eligible Bachelors
  • I Never Thought I Could Fall In Love
  • Socialite Evenings
  • The room of many colours
  • IT'S ALL ABOUT LOVE
Chetan Bhagat writes op-ed columns for English and Hindi newspapers, including Times of India and Dainik Bhaskar, focusing on youth and issues based on national development. Bhagat is also a motivational speaker and has given talks in leading MNCs and other institutions. He quit his international investment banking career in 2009, to devote his entire time to writing.

In 2008, The New York Times ca