Start by marking “Afternoon Delight (Irresistible, #1)” as Want to Read:
Afternoon Delight (Irresistible, #1)

Afternoon Delight

(Irresistible #1)

Sarah McCall, food truck co-owner and recent Manhattan transplant, savors each moment of her new job—whether it’s refining the truck's menu, learning the city, or spending afternoons in bed with the hot paramedic who's fast becoming her favorite customer.
Published September 16th 2014 by InterMix

Baba
4.5 sensual stars. Full review posted September 12, 2014

photo oie_Tcwqh4Wv26gB_zpsc9f6c6dd.gif

photo oie_Go736Uh4ZtWE_zps354d28bf.gif

photo oie_ruIMSGugsyYn_zps8ff54ff4.gif

As a disclosure, I'd like to say that I've been a huge fan of Anne Calhoun for many years. I may be somewhat biased but I know what I love and Anne delivers exactly the stories I want to read. I think her writing has gotten better over the years. It's more mature, denser, and more beautiful. Simply put, it affects me more. Maybe there's an advantage when an author only publishes one or two books a year. On the one hand, it heightens the ant
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4 Stars

What do they call this? Afternoon delight?

You know what I love about books by Anne Calhoun? They don't try to be anything other than what they are. There's no crazy drama. There's no OTT situations or characters. There's no crazy angst. The characters are lovely and just...real. It's stories about two very normal, every-day kind of people, that sl
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4--Delightful--Stars!!

"It feels naughty, having sex during the day. Everyone else is busy, working, running errands, but we're here. It's a secret in the sunshine."

It's hard to beat an Anne Calhoun book! They are very no-nonsense. Very sensual. Very sexy. Almost simplistic. Not a lot of fluff. Not a lot of back ground on the MCs. No epilogue.

She creates believable characters. With real life problems. Characters that you can relate to.

Sarah is the co-owner of a food truck, Symbowl. After tw
Wendy'sThoughts
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stopping and Experiencing It All Stars * * * * 1/2

Needed to ponder how to review this... surprisingly dense for a short novella. Touched on so much with a perfect understanding of what it wanted to say.

This was a very strong read. The characters had grit and substance. I like all of it and ever phrase and set up worked. She was an independent woman, confident in who she was... her strength caused the man to see his life differently... to start to feel instead of being locked down. A worthwh
Duchess Nicole
I always enjoy Anne Calhoun's writing and this was no exception. This was on the short side but reads like a much longer book. Sarah and Tim have jobs that most romance authors don't tend to tackle, and after reading hundreds of cliche stories, it's nice to get anything new. Not to mention that the characters actually had substance and minds of their own. What starts off as their "afternoon delight" slowly begins to lead into moments that are more.

Sarah is a confident woman, both in and out of
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

“What do they call this? Afternoon delight?” (…) Everyone else is busy, working, running errands, but we’re here. It’s a secret in the sunshine.”

After she spent the last two years taking care of her dying aunt, Sarah moved to New York City from San Francisco to open a food truck with her friend. She wants to be the woman she was before all this, she wants to do something for herself. She enjoys her life and savors every little thing in her life, every moment.

Tim is a paramedic who lives a fa
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️

4.5 Refreshing Stars!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sarah, recently moving to NYC from San Francisco, runs a food cart...Symbowls. Tim is a NYC Paramedic, enjoying a quiet afternoon lunch in the park when he's approached by Sarah for a complimentary taste test. Although he doesn't eat anything that can't be consumed in 2 minutes, he gives it a try...casual conversation...their easy banter begins.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sarah is different than most girls Tim goes after. She's fun and easy and they play fun little sex games...trusting each other's
Geri Reads
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

I won't do a full review since RL is kicking my ass right now. But let me just say that Anne Calhoun knows her stuff. She doesn't use big twists or angst or dramatics to get her point across. She just allows her characters and the dialogue to take readers into a journey and before you know it, you're hooked.

This is shorter than her other books but it still gets the job done. And oh, the sensuality...yeah, AC totally mastered it and it's very evident in this book (much like any other AC
-ya
Sep 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
1.5 star
Throughout the story, a sense of emotional intimacy didn't exist between H/h. The talk of food and soup sauces created no spark. Both MCs had interesting professions, but their works didn’t add any dimension to the character development and plotline. The dialogue was just too bland to hold my attention.
MrsJoseph
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it

3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars.

Tamika,

This one is pretty cute - in it's own way. There's more that I liked than I didn't like but it's not very memorable (like other books this author has written). I don't think this one is for you but I did enjoy it.

The thing I liked the most about this one was the empahsis on cooking:

From my review: "What I loved about Afternoon Delight was the emphasis on cooking – not what cooking is but what cooking does for the co
Victoria
It’s just a spring fling, she told herself. A little afternoon delight, a challenge, a way of getting her old, carefree self back. But she couldn’t shake the impression that that self was gone forever.

I was excited to have the chance to read and review Afternoon Delight by Anne Calhoun. This stand-alone novel is told through dual POV's of the main characters, Sarah and Tim.

Sarah’s a food truck owner that knows how to slow down and enjoy life but is trying to recapture the fun loving girl she use
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Anne Calhoun is very reliable for a good, solid, hot read. That's exactly what we have here. A chef and a paramedic and some casual sex which accidentally becomes rather more than that. I liked the foodie aspects of the story and the heroine in particular felt very fleshed out. Coming off the back of some tragic circumstances she's looking to find herself in New York City. The hero is less good, just because I didn't believe his whole not wanting to commit because life goes too fast a ...more
Heidi
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved the tempo/cadence of the writing and that in itself added so much to the story. Gentle, sweet and soft. Nothing earth shattering or high drama just a good solid Anne Calhoun romance. 4 stars
Maria Rose
This delightful passionate novella is the story of Sarah and Tim. Tim's job as a paramedic exposes him to the frailty of human existence on a daily basis and teaches him that there is no sense getting the heart involved in a relationship that will end anyway. When Sarah, a woman he meets on a lunch break at her food truck tempts him into some afternoon 'delights' with no strings attached he's all for it - but when their no-strings affair starts to develop into something more, will he take a chan ...more
Tori
Favorite Quote: “…the list of foodstuffs that shouldn’t be introduced to a woman’s private parts is actually quite long.”

Tim Cannon is an EMT whose lifestyle has him constantly on the move. He uses one night stands to burn off his excessive energy. Over six feet of pure muscle and bearded sex on a stick ensures Tim never lacks companionship but when he meets a food truck chef, he finds himself suddenly wanting more than just instant gratification. And that scares him to death.

Sarah McCall is a c
J
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A short novel about Sarah who moved to New York to help a friend run her food cart. Sarah has just spent the last two years of her life taking care of her dying aunt and needed to take a break and get her life back on track. She meets paramedic Tim who just keeps his head down and does his job of saving people. If he thinks too much about his job or about his life he would get too involved in a lot of sad and depressing situations. He's on autopilot. He meets Sarah at her food cart and finds her ...more
Joan (official heroine hater)
Wow, that was probably one of the most sleep-inducing books I've ever read. Blah storyline, boring conversations, steamLESS sex and lame characters. Sarah, our heroine was a little too chipper for my taste. She had that forced happy-go-lucky feel that never fails to irritate me. Tim, our hero, was basically a walking corpse. In fact, I think brain eating zombies have way more personality than this guy. So, obviously, not a fan of this one and thank goodness it was short.
Andrea
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First Line Lieutenant Tim Cannon sat in the ambulance's passenger seat, one elbow resting on the open window, eyes on the side mirror, as the newest EMT backed the bus into the bay.

So that's an inauspicious opening line for what turned out to be a great novella! Though I'm very selective about the books I take for review, something about this one kept niggling at me. I liked the title, it makes me think of the song Afternoon Delight from the 70s. I was especially drawn to the hook of the story,
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

4.5 Sexy Meaningful Stars!!!
Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Berkley/NAL/Intermix Publishing

Yet again another sensual gem from Anne Calhoun. This was 150 pages of a steamy, meaningful story. It starts as an each to scratch but ends up so much more.

For Tim he is a paramedic in NYC and lives a fast paced life. For him he needs this speed to cope with the stress of his job. He works fast, eats fast and hooks up with no time to slow down and settle. Sarah gave up some of her life t
Tiffany Reads It All
Remember the scene in "Sleepless in Seattle," where Rita Wilson's character is tearfully summarizing the plot for "An Affair to Remember," but she's so choked up that she can barely get the words out? That's basically me after finishing Afternoon Delight, trying to summarize the book for my boyfriend. It's so, so good.

Anne Calhoun is one of my favorite authors and does not disappoint with her latest book. In the same vein as Liberating Lacey and Uncommon Passion, the main characters meet quite
Amanda Byrne
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
The thing about Anne Calhoun's books is when she's on, she is ON, and you have to prepare yourself for a gut punch. You just never know if it's going to happen at the beginning, the middle, or the end.

We first met Tim in Breath on Embers (which if you weren't gut-punched by the end, we can't be friends anymore). Something's happened to him in the intervening years that made him shift his life into fast forward. He does everything at top speed: eat, work, fuck. The only time he slows down is to s
Ellie
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
More than just an afternoon delight. Some things in bothered me a bit but overall I enjoyed the story and the writing. It feels very real and touching without being overly sentimental.

Full review also posted on my blog, http://elliereadsfiction.blogspot.com/

This is my second book by Anne Calhoun and I very much enjoy her writing style – brisk, laconic.

This was a nice novella, simple, yet emotional. It didn’t grab me initially since I prefer a bit more detailed and colourful style, yet the story
Vee Paige
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
* Got an ARC from Netgally.

Before I got addicted to romance novels, I loved reading food memoirs. So when I read the blurb that Sarah, the heroine was a food truck owner, I was excited because knowing the author's writing style, I know I will be treated to food descriptions reminiscent of M.F.K. Fisher. I'm a reader who hates detailed descriptions but here, I was drawn into the lovely spring day when Sarah and Tim first met. Theirs is not typical romance where they date. They are drawn to each
Lisa
First read: September 2014 (3 stars)

I love both Tim and Sarah and all the food mentions, but I can't help but feel there's something missing to the story. It felt draggy at times and rushed at others.

Reread: July 2017

I don't know what 2013!Lisa was complaining about because this is brilliant.
Jeffe Kennedy
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Anne Calhoun at her steamy finest.
Elisabeth Lane
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about Anne Calhoun's Afternoon Delight (out tomorrow) on Twitter a few months ago, I was super eager to read it just based on a single phrase: food truck. I've read several of Calhoun's books and she has never disappointed. Add in a heroine with a food truck and a sexy paramedic hero and I was beyond sold.

Tim is a New York City paramedic, drawn to the adrenaline and speed of the job, hardly pausing even to taste the food he wolfs down between calls and definitely not slowing d
Sandy
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
Sarah McCall is co-owner of a food truck. She has relocated to Manhattan from San Francisco after taking three years out of her life to care for her dying aunt. She is ready for a new start and to rejoin life to the fullest extent. She is the chef for the food truck restaurant Sym-bowl and enjoys experimenting with new recipes and trying them out on their customers.

Tim Cannon is a paramedic. He is accustomed to living his life at break-neck speed. He is good at what he does. He has a r
Stephanie
Afternoon Delight by Anne Calhoun: More than Sex but Less than Hot

An EMT and a food truck chef are cooking up something outside the kitchen in Manhattan.

Electronic galley provided by publisher for review purposes. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

There are probably few people in my age group who don’t mentally follow up “Afternoon Delight” with “Sky Rockets in Flight!” But while I thought this oneh
Stephanie Collins
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very quick read but an amazing journey thru New York and food. Oh and it doesn't hurt that it is also very very sexy!

Tim approaches everything as yet another task to get thru. He works quickly and does everything in a frenzy. His reasons for living this way are made apparent but when he meets Sarah he is surprised how easy it is to just be with her. He actually starts to live in the moment and slow down to savor things as he spends more time with a woman that captivates him with her wa
Mskychick
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
By turns sweet and wildly sexy, this short read is a perfect afternoon of reading goodness, and will make you smile madly, like you really, truly mean it.

Favorite quotes
“I don’t mix sex and cooking,” she said matter-of-factly. “I’ll do neither well, when both should be done to the absolute best of my ability.” She took another mouthful of the dessert. “And savored,” she said when she’d swallowed.
“Never?”
“Never. Much of what I make doesn’t respond well to my being distracted. Also, it’s really
« previous 1 3 next »

• Laugh (Burnside, #2)
  • Brutal Game (Flynn and Laurel, #2)
  • The Training Session (Naughty Bits, #2)
  • Deeper Than Dreams (Love & Steel, #1.5)
  • Way Down Deep
  • The Parting Glass (In a Dark Wood, #2)
  • Detained
  • Double Dare (The Chronicles of Katrina, #2)
  • A Gentleman in the Street (The Campbell Siblings, #1)
  • Don't Deny Me, Part Two (Don't Deny Me, #2)
  • Making It Last (Camelot, #4)
  • The Principle of Desire (Science of Temptation, #3)
After doing time at Fortune 500 companies on both coasts, I found myself living in the suburbs of a small Midwestern city. The glamour of various cube farm jobs had worn off, so I gave up making a decent living to take Joseph Campbell’s advice and follow my bliss: writing romance.

Irresistible (5 books)
  • Transcendent (Irresistible, #2)
  • The List (Irresistible, #3)
  • Evening Storm (Irresistible #4)
  • The Muse (Irresistible, #5)