Start by marking “Fantastic Mr Fox” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Mr Fox

Fantastic Mr Fox

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  108,436 ratings  ·  4,381 reviews
Boggis, Bunce & Bean are just about the nastiest three farmers you could ever wish to meet. They hate Mr Fox and are determined to get him, and plan to catch him by whatever means necessary.
Audio CD, 1 page
Published September 6th 2007 by Puffin Audiobooks (first published September 12th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Mr Fox, please sign up.
Camilla Tilly This short little book was yes, adapted in to a film. Pressing the word ADAPTED. The film bears very little resemblence with the book but what to expe…moreThis short little book was yes, adapted in to a film. Pressing the word ADAPTED. The film bears very little resemblence with the book but what to expect when the book is 93 pages long including pictures on almost every page? The film is 1 hour and 25 minutes long so obviously a lot of artistic liberties have been taken and to me, the entire story was ruined. I plain hated the film and my autistic boys had hundreds of questions since they hardly recognised anything from the book they have come to love. (less)
sʜᴀᴅʏᴋᴇʀᴍɪᴛ It's fine because I read this in third grade and I enjoyed it and I guess it's violent (3 farmers trying to kill a fox 😤) but it's ok for a 6th grader…moreIt's fine because I read this in third grade and I enjoyed it and I guess it's violent (3 farmers trying to kill a fox 😤) but it's ok for a 6th grader. Age doesn't matter I think. And, the author is Roald dahl! He's an author who makes kids book! You like foxes and I think you will like it :). (less)

·  108,436 ratings  ·  4,381 reviews

Start your review of Fantastic Mr Fox
karen
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GREG!!! YOU ARE OLD!!!! EVEN OLDER THAN LAST YEAR!

greg's birthday is today, so i am floating this now to remind you that you still have time to shower him with presents!

*****************************

it is greg's birthday!!! and as a treat for him, i am going to create a book review in which i use plenty of pictures of foxes!!! they are his favorite!!

first, a sleepy fox:

suspicious fox:

mischiev
Patrick
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My impressions in a single word: Meh.

I recently read this to my little boy, and I have to admit I really didn't care for it.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a *terrible* book. There's nothing hideously wrong with it. (See my review of Esio Trot, if you want to see me go off on a Dahl book I hated.)

But there wasn't much right with it either. The simple fact was Mr. Fox was not, in fact, very fantastic.

The plot centers around some farmers that try to kill Mr. Fox. They try to dig him out of his ho
Alex
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the youth
Shelves: 2016
This book encourages stealing, underage drinking, and living in an underground bunker so you never have to face sunlight again. Recommended!
emma
If you ever need a boost of serotonin, especially in the fall, this book is literally screaming at you to read it.

Plus then you unlock the ability to watch the Wes Anderson film version (because everyone knows you're not legally allowed to watch movies until you read the book), and that's just even more serotonin for you.

It's a life hack.

Bottom line: You're welcome.
Miranda Reads
Three stars for the questionable morals and implications for the animal society.

Mr. Fox stole from local farmers for years and the farmers are fed up. They decide to wipe out the entire Fox family. These are talking animals - this is murder.

Instead of trying to negotiate (or even work for a living), the Fox family makes a run for it and they end up endangering all the animal families that live in the hill, the Badgers, the Weasels, the Moles, the Rabbits, etc. Their homes and children are at r
Ahmed  Ejaz
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
Fantastic Mr. Fox is an amazing book for children. Even I, myself, loved Mr. Fox. He is soo clever and determined.

Mr. Fox steels food from three farms own by nasty owners. He steels to keep his family alive. But one day the owners finally decide to kill him once and for all. But Mr. Fox is too clever for them.
His optimism is amazing. I love optimistic characters. I didn't wanna read it. Had to read it for my younger cousin's school work.
Now I am happy that I read it. I highly recommend this b
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fantastic Mr. Fox, Roald Dahl
Fantastic Mr Fox is a children's novel written by British author Roald Dahl. It was published in 1970. The story revolves around an anthropomorphic, tricky, and clever fox named Mr. Fox who lives underground beside a tree with his wife and four children. In order to feed his family, he makes night visits to farms owned by three wicked, rude, cruel and dim-witted farmers named Boggis, Bunce and Bean and snatches away the livestock available on each man's farm. Tired o
Dannii Elle
Updated Thoughts:
Returning to one of my childhood favourites for the second year running, as an adult. Little did I know that I was craving a comfort read in 2019 but would need a horde of them, by 2020!

I spent a pleasant evening immersed in adorable graphic novels and found myself unwilling to return to any of my other current reads, but still in the mood to devour something else heart-warming in nature. Enter: Children's fiction. My eternal saviour for every sort of bad mood and slight reading
Bradley
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2020-shelf
It turns out that my kid and I are both Dahl fans. Not uber-fans, but we usually always have a pretty good time every time we crack a book.

THIS IS A GOOD THING. We didn't have that great a time with Narnia. Give us Gaiman, give us Dahl, and even give us Dickens, but Please, No Thank You to Lewis. :)

High points of Mr. Fox:

The bad guys look and sound not like farmers, but bankers. We have a full redistribution of wealth scheme going on here... maybe not so much Communism as it is a garden variety
Quirkyreader
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short book was a laugh riot. Especially with the way Dahl described the human characters.
Mayke ☕️
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another lovely book by Roald Dahl, with the always beautiful illustrations by Quentin Blake.
Greg
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids, foxes
Mr. Fox steals food nightly from one of the three disgusting and gluttonous farmers who have more then they need. The farmers get mad and set out to kill Mr. Fox. They have a hard time catching him, they destroy the earth trying to get him out of his hole, they waste many man-hours by making their workers surround the woods with weapons and ultimately Mr. Fox with the help of other underground animals find another way into the farms and go about their stealing in peace while the farmers sit endl ...more
Trish
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This morning two new Roald Dahl books arrived and this one was an instant must-read. From a young age on I always adored stories about forest animals (which is why it's even more incomprehensible and outrageous that I have missed out on such a classic until now)!

The book is very thin but the story inside is full of wit, fun and excitement!

Roald Dahl tells the story of Mr. Fox, his wife and children and their tranquil life. However, there are 3 farmers with very bad intentions and since Mr. Fox i
Calista
I am a huge Roald Dahl fan. I love foxes and I loved having a main character that is a fox. It is such a snappy and witty book. This is a great one and I think the movie was wonderful as well. Roald does well on screen. Of course the fox will win.
James
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl at his best - an oft overlooked story (at least until the film adaptation) this is lots of fun. A great story by Dahl with the usual wonderful accompanying illustrations by Quentin Blake.

Not to be missed.

Connor
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classics
[3.5 Stars]
My Video Review:

Holden
This is such a cute little book! A quick, funny and very enjoyable read. Highly recommend it if you want to dive back into your childhood for an hour or so.

Roald Dahl is famous for a reason!
Jason Koivu
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Delightful! Though I do feel bad for the chickens, ducks and geese.
C.G. Drews
I assume you're supposed to read these when you're...eight? Or ten? BUT WHATEVER. I read all of the Roald Dahl books when I was 14-15 and this is the only one I could never find. So now I have consumed it and I feel like my life is very complete with Roald Dahlness.

(Plus I had seen the movie years ago. There is a lot more in the movie than in the book. I definitely saw Mr. Fox as George Clooney though. Just sayin'.)
description
description

Aaaanyway. This is not my favourite Roald Dahl book (I'll always pick Matilda or
Gavin
Unfortunately not a fantastic book, but it’s less problematic than some of Dahl’s other books. This does have mild sexism, fat shaming and underage drinking.

I liked the story which I had forgotten since the last time I read this, I was a child. I liked the tension throughout. But the Fox isn’t really that fantastic, let’s be honest with ourselves, the solutions to his problems are so... easy and convenient. However, at only 82 pages, you can breeze through it and (sort of) enjoy the ride somewh
Kerri
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Roald Dahl book! He's easily one of my favourite authors. I do have to say though, that this is one of those cases where I prefer the film version -- I adore Wes Anderson, and I loved his take on this story. ...more
Mariah Roze
I am still in the year of reading Roald Dahl. My goal is to read every Roald Dahl book, that I can get my hands on in 2017. I also have a book buddy who is doing it with me!

This is not my favorite book by Roald Dahl...

"Fantastic Mr. Fox is on the run! The three meanest farmers around are out to get him. Fat Boggis, squat Bunce, and skinny Bean have joined forces, and they have Mr. Fox and his family surrounded. What they don’t know is that they’re not dealing with just any fox–Mr. Fox would neve
Sully (thysaltymar)
“I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.”
― Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

This short story reminded me of the The Three little pigs. The three little pigs here in the story are the farmers except that they are dumber, clumsier and stinkier. haha!
Spencer Orey
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one isn't quite as mean as some other Roald Dahl books. It's fine? The story fizzles at the end but there's a nice animal solidarity. My kid liked it. ...more
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪
“ The finest and fattest ducks and geese, plucked and ready for roasting! And up above, dangling from the rafters, there must have been at least a hundred smoked hams and fifty sides of bacon!”

While in the process of reading or re-reading Roal Dahl's wonderful works, this is the first book which doesn't agree with my taste. The interesting thing is that I remember watching the movie and not liking it either. It must be that something about this story, or maybe about Mr. Fox as a character, just
Christopher
There just aren't enough books for children that glorify stealing and drinking. ...more
Ferdy
Loved it, mostly because of the nostalgia but even with that it was still a really fun read.
Kali
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just needed a taste of childhood again :)
belle ✨
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars

this is probably my favorite roald dahl book, and if you haven't read it, i'd highly recommend it! it's funny, fast paced, and the descriptions of food will make your mouth water!

such a classic.
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I wasn't sure why, but Fantastic Mr. Fox felt the most festive to me, so I thought it'd be appropriate as my sixth Roald Dahl read. Now that I've read it, it's a little festive (gathering together with friends for a celebratory meal), but it's most likely because the film adaptation seems to always be on around Christmas – and now I cannot wait to watch it. Fantastic Mr. Fox is a charming, quick
2019 Roe Reading ...: Fantastic Mr Fox 1 1 Sep 15, 2020 09:24AM
Please change book cover 6 6 Jul 21, 2020 03:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: Book description is in wrong language 3 10 Jul 21, 2020 02:18PM
2018 Roe Reading ...: Roald Dahl 2 6 Jun 22, 2020 08:08AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine book 3 10 Jun 19, 2020 04:10PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong title 3 17 Jul 14, 2018 01:37PM

• Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • The Witches: Plays for Children
  • Stuart Little
  • Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump, #1)
  • Fantastic Mr Fox
  • Horton Hatches the Egg
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • Gangsta Granny
  • Mr Stink
  • The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • The Lorax
  • Black Beauty
  • The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Charlotte's Web