Start by marking “A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)

A Man Rides Through

(Mordant's Need #2)

In The Mirror of Her Dreams, the dazzling first volume of Mordant's Need, New York Times bestselling author Stephen R. Donaldson introduced us to the richly imagined world of Mordant, where mirrors are magical portals into places of beauty and terror. Now, with A Man Rides Through, Donaldson brings the story of Terisa Morgan to an unforgettable conclusion...

Aided by the po
Published June 3rd 2003 by Del Rey (first published November 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Man Rides Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man Rides Through

Start your review of A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
Dawn
Re Read 2020

When a book makes you sad that it has ended, that you will miss the characters so much, and the world. When you wish you could live there, well.. then I call that a good book. Keeping the 5 stars, will definitely read again.

Book two contains the battles, the plans, and all the questions are tied up. Yes there is death, pain, ect.. but (view spoiler)
Lynne
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: smart fantasy and romance fans
Recommended to Lynne by: my husband found it in the Science Fiction book club we were in
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Terisa has been taken prisoner, Geraden's brother has been taken prisoner (read the book; I promise it will make sense--there are just too many plot threads to do justice to them here).

BUT. . . Terisa has discovered she has talent with mirrors too. And she's left behind the strange attraction to power that was her crush on one of the masters of imagery, an attraction which nearly broke her spirit.

Romance fans, this is also a love story. Forget Edward Cullen and his sparkly marble perfection (an
Lyn
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Became a favorite. About a lonely girl, who feels incredibly insignificant because of her cold parents, she becomes lost in starring at the mirrors that are the only decoration in her apartment. She feels that if she looks at the mirrors that is proof that she exists. When she finds herself in a world where Mirrors are not a source of reflection but of magic. She is mistaken to be a "Champion" that is summoned by the congerers to save their world. She is clumsy and very self concious. She has no ...more
Kim
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read A Man Rides Through ages ago, back when I was still in high school and I loved it. I received it as a Christmas present from one of my closest friends. She'd also given me The Mirror Through Her Dreams as a Christmas present the year before.

When I moved to Sweden, I had to leave many of my hardcover books in the US. I ended up donating both books to a local high school library. One day I was in the Science Fiction bookstore in Stockholm's Old Town and I found both books in paperback. I was
Felicia
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Duology with "Mirror of Her Dreams." I love this duology. In fact, I'd like to read it again. ...more
Liz Fricke
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Mordant's Need books still rank among my favorite fantasy books of all time. The plot is complex, the characters vivid and the story is neatly contained within two volumes. Donaldson seems to love creating the anti-hero - and Teresa Mogan is, to me, a more compelling one than his Thomas Covenant. I warn everyone who reads this for the first time to not let themselves get near the end of the first volume without having the second volume nearby. ...more
Julianna
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of High Fantasy w/a Little Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" A Man Rides Through was a great wrap-up to the Mordant's Need duet. The first book of the series, The Mirror of Her Dreams, ended on a cliff-hanger, so A Man Rides Through picks up the plot exactly where it left off. It's a complex story rooted in the political intrigues of the medieval-style fantasy realm of Mordant. I would have loved to have a map to refer to while reading the story, and apparently many others fans concurred. I did find a fan-produced one o
Charlie
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
First off, read both books of this duology, if you're going to read it at all. There is NO POINT to reading just one.

Minor spoiler: Book 1 ends with a MAJOR CLIFF HANGER so you HAVE to read book 2

"The Mirror of Her Dreams" (book 1)
"A Man Rides Through" (book 2)

So with that out of the way, I will review both as a single work.

There are so many cool ideas and concepts in this duology. The story in itself has a pretty good pace that chugs along evenly and with good momentum.

The writing style is a bi
Kate
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, fantasy
Definitely one of Donaldson's best series. What I love about these books is that for once they have characters who seem far more human and normal in their motivations, thoughts and behaviours than his characters in the Covenant or Gap books. Terisa and Geradan the main protagonists are just not as extreme, and because of this (being normal people in an abnormal situation) the story is far more human and engaging.

The world of Mordant, Cadwal and Alend could be considered to be a quite stereotypic
Paige
Sep 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantastical
Very very enjoyable books to read... but spoiled by inappropriate scenes
Steven Poore
*SPOILERS WITHIN*

Concluding the re-read of Mordant's Need, Stephen Donaldson's post-Thomas Covenant epic duology, wasn't nearly as much fun as I thought it would be. These books haven't aged well, and are definitely not as good as I remember them being. That said, A MAN RIDES THROUGH does actually crunch through the gears and gathers narrative pace, even if it manages to expend a lot of that in the last third as our gallant heroes reluctantly and longwindedly decide to trust each other and join
Chris
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This, and the first book, were for me very painful to read. I read the first one out of curiosity, and because I cannot leave things unfinished, had to read this one. The concept of imagery was interesting, but Donaldson's presentation of it is very muddled. I could have forgiven this were it not for the many other things I disliked.

Here is a quick and incomplete list:

1) Donaldson loves his adverbs. Every action is modified. Nothing is done. Everything is done slowly, quickly, onerously, so and
Katie Anne
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A much faster pace than the first book. While still an epic fantasy with a lot of intrigue, this book is the one that finally has battles, struggle, and the heroes secret skills coming to the forefront.

Terisa and Geraden finally get together (sorry kids, no sex scenes) although their relationship feels a little too easy for everything happening. Donaldson, nevertheless, is able to create entertaining and distinctive characters both female and male.

Are there better series out there? Sure. If you
Angela
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Donaldson's writings are a mass of contradictions; characters you hate, but care about, descriptions and explanations that go on and on but fail to bore you... He's a writer I have an unusual love/hate relationship with because he takes the unlikeliest of heroes (the anti-hero)and drags them thru every awful thing imaginable before he lets the hero justify or redeem himself. By the end, you just want to scream in frustration over all the fumbling and stupidity you've had to suffer thru, only to ...more
 ★ gwiz ★
This book is part of a two book series that seems like it was written as a single book that was cut in half. I am glad that I had both books that I could continue reading the story when I finished the first book Mirror of Her Dreams. Otherwise, I would have been very disappointed in having to wait to actually finish the story.
Mark Harrison
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent end to this two book series. Terisa begins to conquer the magic of Imagery as the kingdom crumbles. She and friends must get allies for the King, which includes a displaced space marine, before a huge battle of the various factions settles everything. Superb premise, great characters, tons of action and magic and a giant slug beast. Loved this - must look out for more from this author.
Paula
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
The only reason I read this was because I read the first book and it ended mid story. Even though I didn't like it, it was so long and so painful to finish that I didn't want it to be for naught. This one was even worse, in my opinion. It got more and more far fetched and dramatic and I lost all connection to any of the characters and activities. ...more
Travis Knight
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Linda
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
James
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Given that the two books are really one split in half this review covers the whole duology rather than just the second half.

It is also unique in the fact that it is one of the few times I've found a book that I dislike that was still written recognisably well.

Here are the good things about the book (and there are some).

- it is well written and well-structured. Chekhov guns are loaded and fired, characters learn and forget things then remember them later. The plot doesn't feel rushed, it feels
M.J.
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia, fantasy
Stephen R. Donaldson’s “A Man Rides Through” is the concluding novel in his two-book series and improves on its predecessor, addressing many of its flaws, but still feels lacking.

(This review is part of my “Nostalgia” series, where I infrequently revisit a small collection of fantasy novels in my possession—most of which I inherited rather than collected—to determine if they hold up decades later and are worth keeping.)

Transplanted from our own world into a fantasy world where all mirrors are m
Jacob
This review is for the series as a whole (The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through).

Stephen R. Donaldson has written 2 of my favorite series: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and The Gap Cycle. Despite that fact, I had never gotten around to reading his smaller (2 book) series: Mordant’s Need. Now that I have, I wonder why I waited so long. Mordant’s Need is yet another gem. SRD is a master of speculative fiction and one of my favorite authors. With imaginative brilliance, he places all
Andy Mangham
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
A Man Rides Through improved a few of the big problems of the first book, particularly in the character-development arena. Terisa claims much more agency over the course of the novel, and it was refreshing and fun to watch her navigate the world with Geridan, who also comes more out of his shell. I can't deny that the two of them have a great chemistry that pushes the book forward, and I enjoyed watching their relationship deepen.
I was also more than a little disappointed with A Man Rides Throug
Dexter
Dec 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
It's FINALLY over. I am so happy it's finally done. I've wasted so much time forcing my way through this duology and what do I have to show for it? This scathing review, I guess.

Literally the only reason I'm giving it a 2/5 is because it was a little easier to get through than the first one, and I have an easier time identifying why I hate it so much.

I don't like high/epic fantasy to begin with, but I can enjoy it once in a while. Maybe if you're a hardcore fan you'll like this duology. It has i
mindy paige
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed review (again)

This is the second book of Mordant's Need. It is not a stand alone book.

The thing that always brings me back to this story is the characters. You want greatness for them because they are not especially special. They are normal people surrounded by greatness and somehow, through mistakes and stumbles, they accomplish the greater good and discover they had greatness inside of them anyway.

You definitely need to read the first book before you pick this one up. In places the w
Dan Nesbit
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
So much weird sex stuff. Where to begin?

This is the sequel to Mordant's Need... which also has lots of inappropriate bits (to say the least) and most of the same problems as this one. It is however oddly compelling, but man does it need some heavy-duty editing.

I went from page-turning, to what the fuck, to why the hell did that happen, to well that's out of character, to bored and back to page-turning again. That was pretty much the pattern of this book. The bit where they killed a pyromaniac c
Jett Wyatt
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This plus "The Mirror of Her Dreams" are one novel in two volumes; neither stands alone and you will be quite confused if you don't read the first book first. Together, they are an excellent read.

As Mordant nears war, the plots all start to come together, even while things seem to be falling apart. Terisa & Geradan have fled for their lives, leaving the traitor in Mordant looking like a hero. The king is still incompetent, as is his chief advisor. An army is camped outside the gates, led by the
Jean
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so glad I had this already in my library when I finished The Mirror of Her Dreams. I started right in on it, no waiting a year for it to be published as I did when it was first published. Just as it did 30+ years ago, it drew me into its story.

This book flew along as there was not the need to create the world and people as there was in the first book. Terisa and Geraden discover who they are and finally take action. While disaster seems to follow them from place to place, they are growing
Benj
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a problem with this book. The first volume introduced us to Imagery, but in a fairly incidental way. However, it's utterly central to this book; the way it works and details of how it's used, and I simply didn't fully understand it. It may be that I skipped over some important explanations, but I'm afraid I couldn't get into the details of mirrors within mirrors. And how and why Geraden and Terisa came into their powers completely baffled me.

That said, it was a powerful and satisfying conc
Shelton
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Contains all the resolution the first book lacked (so much happens in the first 100 pages that they should honestly have been the conclusion of the previous book), but brings new problems: the magic system is unclear (I feel like a chart or diagram might have been necessary to understand all the flat glass/curved glass stuff), and the plot sometimes meanders in the middle in ways that don’t seem to develop much of anything. The finale starts mundanely (admittedly, I’m not one who loves big battl ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Looking for a guru fantasy fiction person 2 41 Feb 25, 2013 10:46AM

• Majipoor Chronicles (Lord Valentine, #2)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1)
  • Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2)
  • How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1)
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • The Nonborn King (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #3)
  • Butterfly Kills (Stonechild and Rouleau, #2)
  • Midsummer Moon
  • The Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga, #5.3)
  • Murder by Other Means (The Dispatcher, #2)
  • Micro Switch
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Prince of Midnight
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • Star Wars: A New Hope (Star Wars: Novelizations, #4)
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • The Malloreon, Vol. 1: Guardians of the West / King of the Murgos / Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #1-3)
See top shelves…
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction, and mystery novelist; in the United Kingdom he is usually called "Stephen Donaldson" (without the "R"). He has also written non-fiction under the pen name Reed Stephens.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION:

Stephen R. Donaldson was born May 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prostheti

Mordant's Need (2 books)
  • The Mirror of Her Dreams (Mordant's Need, #1)

News & Interviews