Start by marking “The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)

The Eye of the World

(The Wheel of Time #1)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  309,623 Ratings  ·  9,255 Reviews
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.
Mass Market Paperback, 814 pages
Published November 15th 1990 by Tor Books (first published January 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of the World, please sign up.
ayca ermis Definitely read Eye of the World.Both of them are awesome,but personally I think Wheel of time series is just genius.
Nanksy I would recommend both. Jordan is very wordy but on a level that will improve your vocabulary and your mental faculties. For those who say it is…moreI would recommend both. Jordan is very wordy but on a level that will improve your vocabulary and your mental faculties. For those who say it is Tolkein derivative, I am puzzled. Did you read past the first book? Jordan builds a world that is very complex and will strain your ability to keep multiple plots and characters in mind. It takes patience to get through the entire series as many new story lines and characters get introduced in each succeeding book. Overall it is worth it to finish the series. As for ASOIAF, I loved the first book and the characters . It is a series that leaves you guessing and not always liking the way events unfold. If you have watched the TV, Game of Thrones and think ASOIAF is the same story, forget it. The biggest problem I have is that it takes so long for the next book to come out. I am completely out of patience for the 6th. book. If you don't like waiting pick another series.(less)

J.G. Keely
May 13, 2007 rated it did not like it
The first series that showed it was possible to do an uninspired rewrite of Tolkien and make a mint was Shannara. After that the doors were flung wide, and the next to profit off the scheme was was Robert Jordan. Of course, I'm not suggesting it's bad to take inspiration from older authors--all authors do this, as Virgil did from Homer, and Milton from Virgil, and Byron from Milton. Tolkien himself drew on the Norse Eddas, Welsh myths, English fairy tales, and Blake's myth-making.

But when a skil
j
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to j by: Brian Halberg
Shelves: paternity-leave
Paternity leave reading for 3 a.m. crying jags. (Mine and hers.)

---

There, Brian. I read it. Are you happy?

My friend Brian has been telling me to read The Wheel of Time for years. It always went like this:

Brian: You should read The Wheel of Time. It's really good.
Me: I've heard that it gets really, really bad.
B: The first seven books are really outstanding.
M: Yeah, I'm not going to read seven books without an ending.
B: The first one is good but the second one is better.
M: Mmm. I don't know.
B: T
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

It's hard for me to review this book, and only this book, objectively, b/c:

1. WoT is my favorite high fantasy series. Ever.
2. I've read the first eight books seven or eight times, maybe more (*whispers
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read with some wonderful friends over at Fantasy Buddy Reads and it's still 5 stars!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

That was an amazing little journey. I'm going to give it my all to make this a good enough review, but I kinda doubt it because this book is too great for my measly little words :-)

WELCOME TO THE WORLD KNOWN AS THE WHEEL OF TIME

Since I'm not good at explaining certain things, I'm so glad the author put a glossary in the back of the book so I can sound all smart when I tell
Bookdragon Sean
Robert Jordan copied Tolkien but, I just don’t care. What I mean is that his writing shouldn’t be judged on this single fact. Yes, Jordan has borrowed aspects of Tolkien’s middle earth; yes, he has blatantly reworked many aspects, but he has also infused it with a few of his own original ideas. The result is a fantasy universe that resembles Tolkien’s and, in some ways, transcends it.

Not completely original, but completely brilliant

description

I found that Jordan’s world wasn’t as obvious as Tolkien’s. I
Markus
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"And the Shadow fell upon the land, and the world was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

And it came to pass in those days, as it
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies by: Navessa
2 stars for the benefit of the doubt, because I DNFed this shit at page 10. This is my new record.

Look, I'm sorry. This is another one of those Lord-of-the-Rings moment where I appreciate the effort, but this is not for me. Within the short amount that I read, I had names and random bits of history thrown at me and maybe it's because it's this early in the morning, but I nearly fell asleep and I honestly can't recall anything that I've read. I have a feeling I'd have a better time reading a text
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I would like to start out by saying: don’t let my conservative rating scare you off from this series. At least 75% of customers I talk to about fantasy rank this series in their top 3, if not their #1. I am definitely the minority here, as the book didn’t even make my top 20.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a classic that deserves its place as one of the all-time fantasy greats, it just happened to have some elements that I personally didn’t care for. As the beginning of an epic quest not unlike t
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Book One of my epic buddy read of the Wheel of Time world with Branwen Sedai, one of the nicest people of OUR world! :D

From the Eye of the World, you can see just how much danger the world is really in!

(That's not in the book, I just made that up myself. Don't worry, Robert Jordan's writing isn't nearly as cheesy as mine!)

Life in the village of Emond's Field had always been peaceful. Sure, the people sometimes argued, as families do from time to time. But ultimately, the village was a tight-kni
Mika
Sep 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Let me preface this by saying very clearly that I mean no offense to The Wheel of Time fans. It’s just my opinion, yes? Just my humble opinion.

So. Simply put: I hate this book. Somewhat passionately. The Romgi will attest to the fact that while I was reading I would mutter to myself about how ridiculous the plot was or how much I hated dragging myself through all 800+ pages. But I carried on.

The main character, Rand, was so uninteresting that I honestly didn’t care what happened to him, nor do I
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
*SPOILER FREE*

You know that thing that happens with your favorite series? You know, that thing. Someone either asks you about it, or you sit down to try and write a review for one of the installments, and all you say or type is dying animal noises. Kinda like this:

"Navessa, what did you think of this book?"
"AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHNNNNNNNNNAAAAACCCCC"
"Um...are you okay?"
"AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHNNNNNNNNNAAAAACCCCC"
"Are you having some sort of fit right now? Do I need to call someone?"
"AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHNNNNNNNNN
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
💥 September 12, 2018: only $2.99 today! 💥

Epically Epic Buddy Read with the BBB gang

Friendly warning: this book is looooonnng. How short do you think my review is going to be? That's right, time to do the "get a snack, grab a drink, we're going to be here for a while" thing

Friendly warning #2 (view spoiler): I seem to have recently contracted Acute Acronymitis Syndrome (AAS™). So prepare for a Painful Onslaught of Acronyms (POA™)

Act
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

I have heard of 'The Wheel of Time' from my cousin, Brandon Sanderson, the readers and my Goodreads friend. When I have became a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. My cousin is a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson too. He told me that Brandon Sanderson ha
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars, rounding up. Final review, first posted at Fantasy Literature:

The massive length, not only of The Eye of the World itself but the entire epic WHEEL OF TIME fantasy series, along with some differences in critical opinion regarding the literary worth of this series, has always daunted me. But I thought I owed it to myself to read at least this first book and judge for myself, so when the Buddies, Books and Baubles group here at Goodreads decided to buddy read the series, I was happy to
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
It was early 1993. I picked up a free sample of this book at our university book store and promptly forgot about it (finals). I dug it up later and read it. The free sample ended just as things started to get interesting, so I went to a library and borrowed a full book. Little did I suspect of what I stumble into.

The most developed world of any fantasy books (OK, except Tolkien's Middle Earth). The most complex plot of any fantasy - bar none. A very long journey. This is a beginning of this jou
Allison
It's really difficult for me to write an unbiased review of this because there's a fair bit of nostalgia involved for me. I began reading The Wheel of Time in 1995, and it was the first fantasy series that I really fell in love with. It captured my heart and held my imagination for a long, long time. I re-read the series over the years as new books were released up until Robert Jordan died - it was too heartbreaking that he wasn't able to finish it himself and I've waited until the series is fin ...more
Manju
I was so scared to start this series for two reasons 1) of course, 14 tomes are scary! 2) I have seen many people grumbling about those middle books are slow. This is such a huge series and reading people grouch about 8-10 is not a good sign since reading 7 tomes is huge task. But then one can’t know until they try. Right? Hence I took the plunge and started Jordan’s colossal work.

First thing first, Eye of the World takes its inspirations from Middle-Earth is plain to see. Right from the start
Robin (Bridge Four)
2016 is The Year of the Wheel for me, I'm reading a book a month in this series. Yes I know that will take me into 2017 but I don't care. Brandon Sanderson was influenced by Robert Jordan and finished out the series for him so it must be good.

Reading with some friends at Buddies Books and Baubles and Sanctum of Fantasy.

Great intro into a series. RTC
Alex Telander
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES BY ROBERT JORDAN: I tried. I gave it over two years of my life and I still couldn't keep going till the end. Of course, the real end will probably be book fifteen or twenty or, heaven forbid, twenty-five and up. I'm talking about Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Currently there are eleven books in the series, the latest, Knife of Dream, came out last October. The first book, Eye of the World, started out really well and I felt like I'd discovered a great new epic fa ...more
Ivan
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF @50

3 years after I finished this book and a year after I DNF-ed the third one I decided to give this series another chance. Obviously that didn't end well. My initial rating was 3 stars than 2 after editing and now 1 since that is what DNF-ed books get.

There is interesting worldbuilding here and potentially good heroic tale but I just can't look past so many annoying characters and this time around was even worse because I knew they become even more annoying. Jordan couldn't write non-obnox
Holden Johnson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25/5

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills"

The Eye of the World, the first epic fantasy book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, provided me with exactly the kind of experience I expected from it.
1. An old school fantasy feel.
2. Lots of intense descriptions on every small detail that normally my brain just tries to ignore and piece together itself.
3. Tons and tons of traveling. (No campfire is left to the imagination)
4. Enough epicness to prove that it is truly one of the greats.

Readin
Jonathan Terrington

A 5 star series, 4 stars for this work

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, and Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning, there are neither Beginnings nor endings to the turning of The Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

This is probably in con
Dan Schwent
Dec 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this book was the one that put me off fantasy for years afterwards. Part of me was slightly interested in how the whole thing was going to end but it was over-ruled by the knowledge of nine books (at the time) after this one that I was going to have to push through. The story itself is such a fantasy cliche. Kid finds out he's the chosen one, has to defeat the big bad. I liked that story the first couple of times I read it. The characters are unlik ...more
Gavin
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure what to say about The Eye of the World. I first read it way back in 1998 and enjoyed it well enough. I'm pretty happy to be able to say that, unlike a lot of old favourites, this story has stood the test of time. I think I might even have enjoyed this 2016 reread of Eye of the World more than I enjoyed my original read.

In many ways this is a very traditional epic fantasy of good vs evil and farmboys that are destined to grow into great heroes and save the world. The saving grace fo
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 5 ***

A buddy read with my questing buddies from BB&B and loving every second of it!!!

I have decided not to write reviews for the individual books of this series - this is a conscious decision, which i took in order to spare my fellow readers from never-ending fangirling and incessant praises for this reviewers favorite series ever. So, be warned, my rating of this series is strictly subjective and no arguments, however sound and valid, would ever change my mind about it!

Thanks to my
Eric
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Jordan's Wheel of Time series were the best fantasy books I had ever read*, the best pure stories. I wanted to live in the world he created. His descriptions of simple village life and interaction are so rich and wonderful, not to mention his treatment of city life, magic, technology, politics, romance, history, mystery, comedy, food, the battle of the sexes, military life and tactics, cultures and on and on. Just wonderful. I couldn't wait to get home from work and slip into that world. It was ...more
Kaora
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the Wheel of Time turns places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.

Despite this book reminding me quite a bit of Lord of the Rings (Mount Dhoom anyone?) I did enjoy it quite a bit. I tried to avoid comparing it to Tolkien because really there is no author that can stand near him, and I feel that was the source of my
Bibi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Aptly titled. Wheel of Time, as in you will never get back the time it will take you to read this 14-book (11,000 ebook pages), milquetoast, filler-filled, rip off of TLOTR.

Bottom line, friends should not let friends read WOT.
Argona
The size of this book intimidated me for a long time, since I am usually not in the mood to read something this big. But after my experience with my beloved "A Song Of Ice And Fire" series, I decided to give this famous series a chance, prepared myself for a challenge and I dived.

And it WAS a challenge! A challenge that started at page one! The first 100 pages felt like a very long introduction to me that dragged at places and bored me. But thanks to my past experiences, I didn’t give up. Fans o
Nimrod Daniel
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It took me ages to finish the last quarter as I was away from the book for about 2 months, but (mostly) it wasn't the book's fault. It's my first time around so my review is as much objective as a review can be, devoid of any nostalgic factors. The book has some problems, but I did enjoy it as a whole.
I should mention that I listened to the audiobook edition, narrated by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, who did a very good job in narrating the book.

The Bad
The first problem I'd like to pinpoint i
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)
  • The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles, #1)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #3)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“I will hate the man you choose because he isn't me, and love him if he makes you smile.” 439 likes
“Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.” 260 likes