Start by marking “The Special Guest: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
The Special Guest: A Christmas Story

The Special Guest: A Christmas Story

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A timeless tale as heartwarming and inspiring as the true spirit of Christmas itself, "The Special Guest" is a story of one family's tragedy and how they come to learn to love and forgive through the charity of a kindly stranger. As a bonus this audiobook includes favorite Christmas carols. Reissue. 2 cassettes.
Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published October 1st 1996 by DH Audio (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Special Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Special Guest

Lorenzo Martinez
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Special Guest” by Lee Allen is the type of book we expect to crowd bookstores' shelves at Christmas time, a feel-good story with forgiveness as the theme. If we release anger and hatred from our hearts, the book tell us, our lives will be blessed with joy and, perhaps, even a miracle. Such a perfect message for the holidays.

"The Special Guest" opens on the weekend before Christmas and introduces us to Scott Reid, who's bagging groceries in the local supermarket. In the parking lot, Scott me
Cathrine Bonham
The Special Guest by: Lee Allen, is at first a sweet little novella about a Christmas miracle. After reading farther I realized it was more about the power of forgiveness.

Last Christmas the Reid's daughter was injured by a drunk driver and she has been in a coma ever since. This Christmas the Reid's are opening their home to a stranded stranger with car trouble.

Yes the plot is predictable but it's a sweet, short, Christmas fairy tale. Think sleeping beauty meets "Wonderful life."
Catherine Wright
A very special story about a Christmas miracle, I enjoyed this sweet little book.
Shelia
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little book about a miracle from God.
kim
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to kim by: Book Club Reading Nov 2010
This reads like a "Touched By An Angel". A cute, simple, predictable story. It starts on the day before Christmas Eve. A little girl lies in a coma after being hit by a drunk driver LAST year on this day. Her older brother, who works as a grocery courtesy clerk, blames himself for not protecting her. The parents are bitter towards the imprisoned driver. The a well-dressed charming stranger, who dresses from an earlier time and drives a Packard, comes to town and things begin to get better!

This
Mayda
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
It's hard to criticize a Christmas novel, especially one that has a promising premise. This novel falls short of being an engaging tale, and instead comes across as being predictable and preachy, with unrealistic characters who just too good to be believable. It is just too short in length to be a well-developed novel and too long to be an interesting short story. What could have been an endearing story just comes across as shallow. But the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter are char ...more
Fran
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This heartwarming story of a miracle at Christmas is traditionally a story to be read at that time of year. However, I needed to feel the presence of a miracle in my life and it certainly lifted my spirit.
Miracles still happen today. In fact, I count every minute of life a miracle. This book also expresses the importance of entertaining strangers, as they may very well be angels unaware. A sweet short read that brings a tear to the eye and a smile to the lips.
Ginger
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, holiday, read2016
**Quick Read! Can easily be read in an hour or two**
This is a story of love, healing, and forgiveness, all brought about by a stranger.
I was delighted to read about familiar places- Richmond, Goochland County and the James River, all located in Virgina and not far from where I was born and raised.
Some reviewers have said this book is too preachy-I say it's all in what or who you believe in.
Although this story takes place at Christmas, any time of the year is perfect for a miracle.
Camiwar
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given to me by a coworker, I did not know what to expect, but this is a delicious little tale of a family who had to forgive the man who had run into their daughter and put her in a coma before they could move on with joy in their lives. The little details in the story made it such a pleasure to read. The "special guest" was Zachery, who turned out to be an angel, steering people to do the right thing and being amazingly blessed by the "Law of Reciprocity."
Heidi
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful short Christmas story. All the characters are well developed and the story moves along smoothly. It is a must read for all ages. In the e-book version I found a couple of typos, as I have discovered in many books, but none that take away from the story, and the joy of reading this book. You might even need a tissue or two by the end.
Phil Deschler
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Phil by: Self
A beautiful Christmas filled with pain, forgiveness, peace, joy and love. A family hurting for a year after a daughters accident fins relief in forgiveness, love & being loved. A touching story that will bring tears as you read. A beautiful short story.
Hàrry KîmÕo
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I can't remember when I read this book nor the most events, but I can't forget the main thing the author want us to learn from the book. I can't froget that forgiveness can change a lot of things in our lives. A wonderful book, wonderful story and a great lesson.
Sue
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a book on tape through a bookbox. But what a great listen.

Christmas should be everyday of the year and this story makes it so.
Georgia
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this every Christmas as a reminder of the power of forgiveness.
Alleluialu
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This one was really good, too! You have to read those little Christmas books at the library! They are short, but the stories are so heartwarming.
Lisa
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Very Quick Read. I read this book in about 30 minutes. Nice story with a somewhat surprise ending.
Pamela
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-shelf
no matter how many times I read it I always cry. this story is a great read for all it shares a great message about faith and forgiveness. I recommend this book to everyone.
Kayla Blair
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the one book I carried with me since I was a young child. I used to read it back to back to back, no matter the season. Never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
Joann
May 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brief. Good message about forgiveness.
Ciocido23
A cute holiday story that warms the heart. Nice spiritual tale that shows you the true meaning of Christmas.
Nancy
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable, but sweet.
Donna
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this time of year, it is always good to read an uplifting Christmas story. God is so good.
Liz Gibbs
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I prayed for a wonderful Christmas book and this is what God gave me. It made me cry.

Read again 11/27/15
It's a sweet story with a surprise ending.
Lisa Freemont
Jan 06, 2014
Christine Marciniak
Cute story - but kind of predictable.
blmagm