Start by marking “Wrong About the Guy” as Want to Read:
Wrong About the Guy

Wrong About the Guy

Ellie Withers is definitely not spoiled… so she wishes that George Nussbaum would stop implying that she is. It’s not her fault that her stepfather became a TV star and now they live in a big house and people fawn over her wherever she goes. She doesn’t even like being fawned over. Fortunately, her two closest friends understand her a lot better than George: Heather Smith ...more
Published April 21st 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Wrong About the Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrong About the Guy

Katie
I'm a bit torn on this one. I liked the last 20% SO MUCH and I wish DESPERATELY the whole book had been that great. The first 80% wasn't bad, but it felt a bit rushed and not all there.

I've given a fair amount of thought to modern Emma adaptations. There's so much that just doesn't translate to modern settings and you just HAVE to change. I like a lot of the choices LaZebnik made in theory, but some of them left me a little confused because I kept trying to find connections that weren't there. (
Catherine ♡
Nope, nope, nope.

I didn't like this at all, and it was mostly because of the main character. She was spoiled, selfish, bratty, and completely disregarded her "best friend's" feelings - and there wasn't much character development as the story progressed either.

Speaking in terms of plot, I felt very distant from everything and the pacing just seemed sluggish and slow.
Dani
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know that Emma isn’t the most endearing heroine of the Jane Austen pantheon, but I can’t help but like her and her many incarnations, and LaZebnik’s extension of her in Ellie is no exception. Ellie is confident, ambitious, and she just is who she is. Sometimes confidence can become arrogance and ambition looks more like selfishness, but her actions and decisions are typically driven by good intentions and a love for her family and friends. While this novel did start off slow and I had a little ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 12

1) I've been burned by LaZebnik's Austen retellings before. The only one I enjoyed was of my least favorite novel.
2) This book is already so obviously not Emma. She's living with her mom and step-father and has a younger brother.
3) I quit because of the descriptions of how attractive Ellie's parents are. See chapter two. That kind of stuff just creeps me out in a YA novel.

I'm quitting while I'm only slightly behind.
Rahmi
Cuteness overload :D Wrong About The Guy ini buku Claire LaZebnik ketiga yg kubaca. Seperti biasa tiap baca buku LaZebnik ini paling bisa bikin senyum-senyum sendiri saking imutnya.
malayna
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MY OPINION: *****

So this book was meh at first and then OOH by the end. I loved it.

Anyways, this book was about a girl named Ellie; honestly, I completely forgot that was her name until someone said it, which was pretty rare.

Ellie is the stepdaughter of a TV star and she's used to people trying to be her friend just for the sake of saying that they met her stepdad, etc. But her two best friends are home and she feels pretty good.

She is in her senior year and she's ready to apply to colleges. Sh
Jenna
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Ellie Withers has it all, her step dad is famous and before that it was her and her mother only in a one bedroom apartment, now they have a mansion with staff.

Ellie thinks that Aaron is her perfect match and future husband but things never go as planned.

Ellie is a spoiled little bitch at times she could be funny, but she was really demanding everything’s she want she gets, I don’t feel that she works for anything or that she deserves the way that things fall in her hand.
When her friend
Gillian Berry
Enjoyed! Really great dialogue, cute ship, slightly sanitized version of my hometown, but an easy breezy read with, again, really funny dialogue. This book should be all dialogue. Ellie was funny and charming and endearingly spoiled, and I loved George. They had an excellent Emma/Knightly dynamic.
Colette
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
While this was a fun contemporary read, I didn't enjoy it as much as Claire's other books, like Epic Fail. The plot had a good basis, but some of the settings and characters didn't impress me. Overall 3/5 stars; not the best, but still a story worth trying.
Jules.Bookverse
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Aww! this is such a cute book. <3 Just the kind of book/ story that I love!!

I love the head-strong main character Ellie. She's always being such a tough and confident girl on the outside when she has to take on so many problems and changes in her life. I'm still a little bad about everybody new she meets trying to use her to get to her famous stepdad. I would hate never knowing who I could trust in my life. Also, how stupid and dumb can people actually be when being mad at her for speaking up
Connor
Mar 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
(I did, for the sake of being honest, basically skim this.)

I gotta admit, I really, really didn't like this. Frankly, it makes me squirm. I know Knightley and Emma have their differences (age included), but... ah... dealing with that by having Emma be a senior in high school and George be this, what, twenty-something post-college grad?

Yeah, that's just creepy.

And don't get me started on the Frank Churchill adaptation. NOPE. That was just... also creepy, tbh.
Dark Faerie Tales
May 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This is a retelling of the classic Jane Austen tale Emma. I have liked some of LaZebnik’s other retellings, but I had a really hard time with this one. With the annoying protagonist and unoriginal plotline, this actually ended up being a DNF read.

Opening Sentence: It was my first idea for Mom and Luke to make a big deal out of their fifth wedding anniversary.

The Review:

Ellie Withers is getting ready to start her senior year of high school an
Amanda
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed the books by Claire LaZebnik that I've read so far and was excited to read this Emma retelling. Unfortunately, this one was disappointing.

Ellie was not a likeable character. She was spoiled and had entitlement issues. Just because she has a famous stepfather she expects things to be given to her and that she deserves them because of who her stepfather is. She wants special treatment and expects people to cater to her needs. It got old very fast. I did not find it cute or endearing
Brandy Painter
I usually like LaZebnik's Austen retellings. Even the ones that I don't love (like Epic Fail), I at least enjoy. But this was so really boring and didn't capture enough of what I think is important about Emma. Will anyone ever update Emma better than Clueless did though? I doubt it. Still this could have been way better.
Allison Brunskill
I actually don't know how to rate this. This main character is self absorbed and shallow and much of this book is filled trivial incidents, however this is a retelling of Emma so it all seems fitting. My biggest problem with this is that is felt like a lesser version of Clueless and I like Clueless more than I like Emma . Ellie Withers is no Cher Horowitz. I felt as though as I wasn't in her head but just observing her life.

I love retellings but I would pass over this one.
Amanda
Having loved Jane Austen's Emma I was intrigued to read this modern YA take on the story.

Sadly it just didn't work for me. Ellie came across as spoiled and arrogant, I found it really hard to like her and poor Mr Knightley aka George was reduced to the part of errand boy for her wealthy family. The chemistry that Emma and Knightley had just wasn't there.

Ellie's family also featured heavily in the book and I did find myself skimming pages whenever they popped up, which was a lot!
Christine Zarah
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I forgot how entertaining Claire's conversations are. Always so witty, always full of sass. I had always wanted to make a gobblers shelf (but I won't because its too much of a hassle to look back on all the books I've read and put them there) but theoretically, if I were to make one, there's no doubt that all of her books would be in that list. She knows what I love, she gets me (hahahaha). She gives me fluff (which is my most loved thing in the world)! And witty conversations (which is my secon ...more
Danya
I feel like this "retelling" of Emma was a pretty loose one, making a lot of changes and cutting out some elements that I think were important to the original storyline. ((view spoiler)) There were some characters in this retelling that didn't appear to have counterparts in the original Austen tale, and yet didn't really add anything.

The George-E
Molly Blue
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and real, I loved it.
Ally
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc
YABC.

Best for older or mature teens, Wrong About the Guy is YA Contemporary. We have a nice and subtle romance and a complicated drama with so much drama. (A drama with drama. Yes, I do realize how redundant that sounds, but there is no other way to put it.) Set in Los Angeles, Wrong About the Guy has all the right moves and all the right words. It is absolute perfection.

Ellie Withers, our main character and sole narrator, is a spoiled girl, to be put shortly. However, she is also a great char
Anna
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Ellie has a charmed life with her Mom, famous stepdad Luke and little brother in an LA mansion. But she thrives on getting things to go her way, whether that means sharing her infuriating SAT tutor George with her less motivated best-friend Heather, getting her Mom and Luke to honeymoon where she wants them to, or planning the future of her own love life. When Luke's best friend's son moves back to LA for his senior year, Ellie thinks this might finally be the time to jump start her own romantic ...more
Kimberly
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Check out this review and more at On the Wings of Books

What I Thought...
• I love Claire LaZebnik's books. They are always cute and fun with a little bit of heartbreak thrown in.

• Wrong About the Guy is based off of Jane Austen's Emma. I've never read Emma (don't throw stones, but Jane Austen's books are not for me), but Clueless is one of my favorite movies ever, and Clueless is also based off Emma.

• Even though I knew who Ellie was going to end up with in the end I loved how she got there an
Hélène Louise
A very good story inspired by the novel "Emma" of Jane Austen. Like in all the author's others tentatives the extrapolation is inspired.
For instance the sweet, innocent but also needy and tiresome relative isn't a father but a toddler with an autistic syndrome. Ellie isn't an orphan, her father were just never there. Her good intentions toward her best friend (who isn't so naive and featherbrain as Harriet is in "Emma") are not to throw her into a favourable marriage, but to drag her in a colle
Noémy
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok

The gif speaks for itself.

I love Emma. I adore her relationship with Mr Knightley. Depending on the mood, it even surpassed my love for Darcy and Elizabeth and that, right there, is saying something (I blame it on the BBC version from 2009 starring Romola Garai and Johnny Lee Miller).

The only reason I picked this book up was because I needed that romance (I mean it's a retelling so I know how the story goes. I'm here for the kissing not the plot twists).

I didn't find it. There were kisses but t
Titah
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you looking for a light reading, the one that will keep you sane in your long trip, you must try this book! so Sweet!!

About an adorable, spoiled, conceited, narcissistic brat girl. Ellie. That's her name. And I am so grateful that I can instantly love the character. Not because she is a spoilled girl, but because the author can make us see all the kindness in her without too obvious. These make Ellie more real. As real as some teenage girl who did a lot of mistakes. And what they need isn't a
Aliam Sunshine
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
myna
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was really excited when I picked this book to read it, but then while I was reading the book it disappointed me a lot.

The book was really slow and boring and I couldn't continue reading it so I stopped in the middle.

This is my personal opinion so please don't take it so seriously. I'm not hating on the author or anything, her writing style was good and maybe she could write amazing stories but for me I'm not reading any of her stories again.
Viktoria Van der bilt
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017reads
The Last Best Kiss and Wrong About the Guy are YA books that are less swoonish titles from Claire Lazebnik but are definitely not less entertaining. They were more about life, lessons and growing up but they were also very funny! I kept laughing and laughing. I love the heroines so much, and while some people might argue that their characters were too good or that they didn't have much going on, the stories worked well for me.

Can't wait for Claire's new book coming out soon!
Kerrikoala
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maybe not quite four stars, but I'll round up. I enjoyed this take on Austen's EMMA, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like EMMA. It also made me want to watch CLUELESS. :D I plan to read more by this author, because this was a quick, fun read.
Jess
I liked this but it wasn't Clueless and I think I needed it to be on that level considering how much I've liked the other books in the series.
  • An Heir for Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Short Story
  • How to Hook a Hottie
  • The Pretty App (App, #2)
  • Crazy, Stupid, Fauxmance (Creative HeArts, #3; Mariely and Cabot #1)
  • The Accidental TV Star (Accidental #2)
  • Living the Dream (Whitman University, #5)
  • Rocked: Joe and Liss (Rocked #1-3)
  • The Trials: A Pride and Prejudice Story
  • Girl of the Moment
  • How Willa Got Her Groove Back (Creative HeArts, #2; Willa and Finn, #1)
  • Just Your Average Princess (Just Your Average #1)
  • The Contest (The Contest #1)
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • Mansfield Ranch (The Jane Austen Diaries Book 5)
  • The Secret Life of a Dream Girl (Creative HeArts, #4; Dahlia and Keegan, #1)
  • Falling for the Girl Next Door (Creative HeArts, #5; Sloane and Tru, #2)
  • Defying Gravity (Finding Perfect, #2)
  • Romancing the Nerd (Nerd, #2)
Please check out THINGS I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, now available in bookstores and online.

"LaZebnik hits it out of the park with her story about pretty, popular Chloe and her loving relationship with her older, autistic sister, Ivy." BOOKLIST (starred review)

"Writing with honesty and wit, LaZebnik offers a thought-provoking portrayal of how people can come together despite, or perhaps because of, their