Start by marking “Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Înghite Platon, nu Pro...

Lou Marinoff

Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!

If you're facing a dilemma -- whether it's handling a relationship, living ethically, dealing with a career change, or finding meaning in life -- the world's most important thinkers from centuries past will help guide you toward a solution compatible with your individual beliefs. From Kirkegaard's thoughts on coping with death to the I Ching's guidelines on adapting to cha

Published 2010 by Editura 3 (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!

Start your review of Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!
Jenn
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although the author gives lip service to the belief that there is a place for both psychology/psychiatry and practical application of philosophy, he clearly doesn't believe it. He spends a lot of time deriding traditional psychiatry and psychology while using case examples to support his method of "philosophical counseling." His case studies are compelling. However, I highly doubt these cases represent the vast majority of individuals seeking mental health counseling. Anyone who has the time, kn ...more
Amy
Apr 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I skimmed most of the case-studies by the end there. I just kept getting the impression that the author and his colleagues wanted more patients so he released this book to raise awareness about 'philosophical counseling.'
And honestly, it just rubbed me wrong.
His main thesis is that most of the problems being treated by psychiatry/psychology/religion could better be treated by throwing a random life philosophy a the person instead.
And it sure seems rather random to me. He takes a s
Commonground
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting and intelligent approach to the self-help genre. The author challenges readers who are experiencing "cognitive dissonance" (that's psycho talk for being depressed or feeling stressed out) to use critical thinking skills, the roots of which can be found in ancient philosophy. Since people have little control of their actual feelings, the best thing they can do for themselves is often changing their thinking. Doing this can actually affect their emotional state, resulting in ...more
Scoutfree
Jan 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You must read tens and tens of pages to find something interesting, while he reminds you once and again how much a philosophical advisory can help you. I just liked the part where he describes different kinds of philosophy, and there are better books than this one for that. I reached to half or so, but didn't finish it. Kinda self-aid or so.
Austin Luca
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Philosophy is therapy for the sane." This is a new perspective for me, and it is the reason why I like this book so much. This book isn't meant to dive deep into philosophy, it's only meant to offer some wisdom from the ages to common problems we face today, such as relationships, midlife crisises, and finding meaning in life if you've accidently killed God. I especially liked the way that the book is organized into sections by problems we face, not by philosophers.
King
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dont let the title mislead you. This book is not exclusive for those battling mental/mood disorders. Its for everyone whos searching for thoughts that would alleviate the nuisances of everyday life. Its also a great alternative for those who believe that not every thing psychology related should be treated on a neurobiological level.
Μ C
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I read this book on a very difficult period of my life and I found it to be very good company. It is very well written, offers a simplistic approach to philosophy and how it can be applied to everyday problems, wouldn't hurt anyone to read it, and I think most people would find it to be a very beneficial read!
Kehagia Klio
May 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too shallow and promotional. A downer and a disappointment!
Devika Koppikar
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read! As a Unitarian Universalist, I felt the book followed the same principles of our church - where you learn about various ideas, but decide on your own what is best for you.

Through his various techniques, Marinoff helps provide a way whereby you can see your challenge through various prisms, and thus, you can decide how, when, and if you want to resolve it in a certain manner.

Marinoff gives you various problem-solving techniques (with the “PEACE” macro) and examin
Jess Ram
Feb 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought this was going to be a nice book to pick up on bits and pieces of different philosophies but I can't even get past the first section because all it's really doing is bashing psychology as if the author wrote this after having a bad experience with a psychologist or psychiatrist. I won't be finishing this book.
Hettie
Could not make my way through this. Just lost interest.
Roxana
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my kind of book, but it was a good reading anyway. To make the long story short, this books tell you that is much better to turn to the great philosophers of all times before medications and endless psycological therapies to solve problems.
The question that still remains in my head is how do you know which philosopher to read to every case, and of course, Lou Marinoff, being a philosopical therapist, will tell you to go to that kind of specialist as a guide. And I don't have any clu
Michelle
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you like self help books and philosophy
Recommended to Michelle by: no one, saw it on a libray shelf and was intrigued by the awesom
i took it as a good review of the most popular ideas from philosophers. it's a how to on philosophical counseling which isn't too popular yet but a great idea, in my opinion (well obviously i'd say that since i have a philosophy degree and am going into counseling, he he). this method of counseling would be like going to your philosophy professor instead of your psychologist to fix a "philosophical problem" like contemplating switching careers, putting your mom in a home, or finding a purpose in ...more
Amanda
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book while searching for a less conventional answer to my emotional distress. I enjoy philosophy and also psychology and this book really hit the spot for me. It was refreshing to hear a psychology focus less on the reason behind your problems (i.e., your poor childhood did it) but rather to see the life philosophies that we hold onto that cause us to ignore other truths about life. What I mean to say is that this book really helped me question the philosophies I had about life ...more
Tania
Jul 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much of a "self help" book for me. The title is very appealing, but the first part is just self promotion and bashing on psychology. Was expecting something quite different. Lost interest quickly. Moreover, the second part are examples, so it didn't feed my curiosity. You can prove the validity of any method if the right ones are picked. I didn't read them. Maybe they are compelling. I don't know...
Bauchan Mann
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"life is not a sickness…..you can't change the past. Philosophical counseling starts from there and goes forward to help people develop a productive way of looking at the world, and so a Comprehensive plan for how to act in it day-to-day" An help to observer the human nature and an ability to provide our internal stimulation.
Jasmeet Salech
Is it only me or did anyone else feel like the author is defending Philosophy a little too much. I am only at page no. 27 and I feel like I am reading the differences between psychology and philosophy for some exam.
Angel Ancin
Interesting but a bit "american" (simplistic)
Lauren
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good stuff in here. It was good to review the writings of all of the philosophers that the author sites in this book. The premise is that there is a place in our lives for philosophy that just cannot be met by psychology or medical attention. I thoroughly agree with this, and there are ample examples in this book of circumstances in which this is illustrated. I am not sure however that philosophy always brings about rosy conclusions. I've heard of too many instances lately where a person's ...more
BozCitac
Even though most of the cases described in this book are of people with issues clearly much lesser than those of actual patients in psychiatric hospitals, there are still some interesting parts. I like how the author gives a lot of attention to some underrated philosophers & thinkers such as the Hebrew Kohelet, while completely ignoring many overrated modern philosophers and openly criticizing post-Kantian philosophy as useless. Most importantly, this book contains probably the most understandab ...more
Ricardo Tannus
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Differently from many books, "Plato, Not Prozac!" does, indeed, accomplish what it sets out to do: it illustrates with many practical examples how timeless philosophical ideas can help us gain perspective and re-evaluate our dillemas. Add to that Marinoff's quick and witty writing style and - as a huge bonus - his summary of Western and Eastern philosophy and their main thinkers: a fantastic book well worth reading!
S.hossain
A good book who wants to understand more of life. The book covers a lot of daily issues that.bother us with a philosophical insight. However, it did sometimes harshly attack contemporary psychotherapy. The author also acted like a salesman of philosophical consulting at the end of the book. Overall, a very good book to deepen your thought.
Batman
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book took me long to read as it pushed me to a lot of reflexión and analysis . Great approach for mental healing, wellness and moving on in the journey of life. No magical solutions only a different approach
Good ideas, not-so-great explication. There were times one thought wouldn't lead to the next. However, I understand he was writing to laypeople. I've personally received philosophical counseling and recommend it to everyone. However, one does not need to become acquainted with this book to begin.
Gerardo Mendoza
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the current times where mental health could be achieved with medicines and therapy, is good to know the philosophical and millennial tools that we already have to live a good life.
Joana Simões
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of using medication read this book.
Miha Zajc
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Realy great book that makes you think a lot about how you deal with everyday challanges! must read for everyone that cares ....
Purity
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash
I'm sorry but this was just too self-helpish, too American, too shallow and too boring. Couldn't finish it.
Jenny
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book full of words of wisdom. I'm so glad I have found this book and got the chance to read it.
Marts  (Thinker)
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Philosophical solutions to everyday issues...
« previous 1 3 next »

• Confession of a Murderer: Told in One Night
  • J'accuse!
  • Ψυχο-λογικές σχέσεις
  • Χαμογέλα, ρε... τι σου ζητάνε;
  • La soledad de un cuerpo acostumbrado a la herida
  • Listen, Little Man!
  • Συμπόσιον - Φαίδρος - Απολογία Σωκράτους - Φαίδων
  • Ο άνθρωπος που έτρωγε πολλά
  • Uno y el Universo
  • Selected Poems
  • Trinkets
  • Γιατί το Βυζάντιο
  • Martropía: conversaciones con Spinetta
Louis Joshua Marinoff is a philosopher, author, and philosophical practitioner. Founding President of the American Philosophical Practitioners Association (APPA).

News & Interviews

“And yet if every desire were satisfied as soon as it arose how would men occupy their lives, how would they pass the time? Imagine this race transported to a Utopia where everything grows of its own accord and turkeys fly around ready-roasted, where lovers find one another without any delay and keep one another without any difficulty: in such a place some men would die of boredom or hang themselves, some would fight and kill one another, and thus they would create for themselves more suffering than nature inflicts on them as it is.” —ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER” 2 likes
“A big thing can be simply the sum of small things.” 1 likes