Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Înghite Platon, nu Pro...
 
by
Lou Marinoff
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  1,342 ratings  ·  114 reviews

If you're facing a dilemma -- whether it's handling a relationship, living ethically, dealing with a career change, or finding meaning in life -- the world's most important thinkers from centuries past will help guide you toward a solution compatible with your individual beliefs. From Kirkegaard's thoughts on coping with death to the I Ching's guidelines on adapting to cha

...more
Paperback, 512 pages
Published 2010 by Editura 3 (first published 1999)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Înghite Platon, nu Prozac!

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.39  · 
Rating details
 ·  1,342 ratings  ·  114 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Maria Espadinha
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Em Busca da Sabedoria Interior

A Filosofia ao serviço do Dia a Dia!...
Skorofido Skorofido
Ως φίδι ψυχαναγκαστικόν, ψυχοπαθολογικόν, ψυχοπονιάρικον και ό,τι άλλο υπάρχει σε «ψυχό», λατρεύω όλα αυτά τα βιβλία του συρμού που κυκλοφορούν με έτοιμες λύσεις αυτοβοήθειας για πάσαν ψυχικήν νόσον και μαλακίαν. Και μπορεί σαφώς οι σοβαροί επιστήμονες ψυχολόγοι να τα καίνε στο ‘πυρ το εξώτερον’, προσωπικώς όμως με έχουν ωφελήσει σε διάφορες φάσεις της ψυχοπαρανοϊκής ζωής μου. Ακόμα και αυτά τα τσιτάτα και τα ευτράπελα ψυχολογικά – φιλοσοφικά κλισέ, κατά καιρούς με έχουν βοηθήσει να δραπετεύσω α ...more
Jenn
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although the author gives lip service to the belief that there is a place for both psychology/psychiatry and practical application of philosophy, he clearly doesn't believe it. He spends a lot of time deriding traditional psychiatry and psychology while using case examples to support his method of "philosophical counseling." His case studies are compelling. However, I highly doubt these cases represent the vast majority of individuals seeking mental health counseling. Anyone who has the time, kn ...more
Deppy Spanou
http://www.dreamersandco.com/2013/11/...

Θα σας έχει τύχει δε μπορεί. Να, εννοώ αυτό, που μια μέρα σηκώνεσαι να πας στη δουλειά, κάνεις όλες τις προετοιμασίες μηχανικά και στο μεταξύ σκέφτεσαι, ποιος είμαι; που πάω; γιατί το κάνω τώρα αυτό; τι νόημα έχουν όλα αυτά; γιατί το ένα και γιατί το άλλο… και μόνη επιθυμητή αντίδραση σε όλο αυτό να είναι το ατελείωτο ρέμβασμα του ταβανιού. Εγώ ομολογώ πως ήμουν εκεί πριν λίγο καιρό και δίσταζα να το μοιραστώ με άλλους, γιατί νόμιζα πως χάνω τα λογικά μου
...more
Lausº
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected more from this book, I read it just because the title seemed attractive, although some chapters are interesting, is not deep enough to be able to understand the method and it focuses too much on to giving examples.
The best part is the appendix of philosophers that summarize, the most important thinkers and their contributions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Esperaba más de este libro, lo leí solamente porque el título me parecía atractivo y
...more
Commonground
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting and intelligent approach to the self-help genre. The author challenges readers who are experiencing "cognitive dissonance" (that's psycho talk for being depressed or feeling stressed out) to use critical thinking skills, the roots of which can be found in ancient philosophy. Since people have little control of their actual feelings, the best thing they can do for themselves is often changing their thinking. Doing this can actually affect their emotional state, resulting in ...more
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Lo que más me impresionó de este libro es la visión del ser humano que se prepara por la mañana para enfrentar el mundo: ropa para vestir el cuerpo, maquillaje para embellecer el rostro, desodorante para ocultar el mal olor y pastilla para ocultar los defectos de la personalidad. Como si todos los niveles de nuestro ser se pudieran manejar de la misma manera y con pastillitas. Ahora viviendo en este país, he notado que muchas personas solucionan hasta los problemas más simples con una pastilla; ...more
Austin Luca
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Philosophy is therapy for the sane." This is a new perspective for me, and it is the reason why I like this book so much. This book isn't meant to dive deep into philosophy, it's only meant to offer some wisdom from the ages to common problems we face today, such as relationships, midlife crisises, and finding meaning in life if you've accidently killed God. I especially liked the way that the book is organized into sections by problems we face, not by philosophers.
Scoutfree
Jan 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You must read tens and tens of pages to find something interesting, while he reminds you once and again how much a philosophical advisory can help you. I just liked the part where he describes different kinds of philosophy, and there are better books than this one for that. I reached to half or so, but didn't finish it. Kinda self-aid or so.
King
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dont let the title mislead you. This book is not exclusive for those battling mental/mood disorders. Its for everyone whos searching for thoughts that would alleviate the nuisances of everyday life. Its also a great alternative for those who believe that not every thing psychology related should be treated on a neurobiological level.
Irving Sol ☀️
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Filosofía, Desarrollo Personal, Reflexión
El mejor libro que he leído donde se conjuntan la filosofía y el desarrollo personal. Con ejemplos muy sencillos y realmente genéricos. Un buen libro para cualquiera que quiera conocer un poco de filosofía y el como aplicarla a la vida diaria. Al final con un pequeño anexo de los filósofos mas destacados que han existido en la historia de la humanidad.
Milan Trpkovic
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Očekivao sam nešto više i malo drugaćiju formu, ali je i ovo bilo sasvim dovoljno za "mentalno razgibavanje", obnavljanje lekcija i odbijanje doze prozaka.
Αγγελική Μπούλιαρη
Το βιβλίο χωρίζεται σε τέσσερα μέρη:
1. ΝΕΕΣ ΧΡΗΣΕΙΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΣΟΦΙΑΣ
2. ΑΝΤΙΜΕΤΩΠΙΣΗ ΤΩΝ ΚΑΘΗΜΕΡΙΝΩΝ ΠΡΟΒΛΗΜΑΤΩΝ
3. ΠΕΡΑ ΑΠΟ ΤΗΝ ΣΥΜΒΟΥΛΕΥΤΙΚΗ ΤΩΝ ΠΕΛΑΤΩΝ
4. ΕΠΙΠΡΟΣΘΕΤΕΣ ΠΗΓΕΣ ΠΛΗΡΟΦΟΡΙΩΝ

Η γνώμη μου: Είμαι υπέρ των βιβλίων που δείχνουν το δρόμο για να ενσωματώσουμε τη φιλοσοφία στην καθημερινότητά μας, και πιστεύω ότι οι απαντήσεις σε πολλά από τα ερωτήματα που μας απασχολούν έχουν ήδη δοθεί στο παρελθόν, ως επί το πλείστον από τους αρχαίους Έλληνες φιλοσόφους.
Αν και ο συγγραφέας έχει κατηγορηθε
...more
Devika Koppikar
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read! As a Unitarian Universalist, I felt the book followed the same principles of our church - where you learn about various ideas, but decide on your own what is best for you.

Through his various techniques, Marinoff helps provide a way whereby you can see your challenge through various prisms, and thus, you can decide how, when, and if you want to resolve it in a certain manner.

Marinoff gives you various problem-solving techniques (with the “PEACE” macro) and examin
...more
Pablo
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta bueno para quien este interesado en tener una idea básica y general de que es la filosofía y sus distintas corrientes de pensamiento.
Aunque el libro no es de auto-ayuda pero puede parecerlo en momentos, deja una conclucion bastante tranquilizante: No importa cuales sean sus ideas o decisiones por mas locas que parezcan siempre encontrara un filosofo y una filosofia que respalde sus ideas.
El libro también cuenta con muchas frases celebres de filósofos.

Jess Ram
Feb 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
At first I thought this was going to be a nice book to pick up on bits and pieces of different philosophies but I can't even get past the first section because all it's really doing is bashing psychology as if the author wrote this after having a bad experience with a psychologist or psychiatrist. I won't be finishing this book.
Μ C
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I read this book on a very difficult period of my life and I found it to be very good company. It is very well written, offers a simplistic approach to philosophy and how it can be applied to everyday problems, wouldn't hurt anyone to read it, and I think most people would find it to be a very beneficial read!
Hettie
Could not make my way through this. Just lost interest.
Pwlina
Oct 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Μου πήρε μήνες να το τελειώσω! Η κεντρική ιδέα (προσέγγιση των σημαντικών θεμάτων της ζωής υπό το πρισμα της φιλοσοφίας) αναπτύσσεται εντελώς επιφανειακά.
Roxana
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my kind of book, but it was a good reading anyway. To make the long story short, this books tell you that is much better to turn to the great philosophers of all times before medications and endless psycological therapies to solve problems.
The question that still remains in my head is how do you know which philosopher to read to every case, and of course, Lou Marinoff, being a philosopical therapist, will tell you to go to that kind of specialist as a guide. And I don't have any clu
...more
Nick Argiriou
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Χρήσιμο, αν και λίγο φλύαρο. Η βασική του ιδέα είναι ότι πέραν της ψυχοθεραπείας, υπάρχει και η "φιλοσοφική" θεραπεία που δίνει πιο άμεση λύση σε καθημερινά -όχι τόσο βαθιά- ζητήματα. Πλαισιώνεται από πλήθος παραδειγμάτων κάποιων ενδιαφερόντων και κάποιων βαρετών, και γίνεται μια εκ του προχείρου μεν, αλλά ενδιαφέρουσα περίληψη των διαφόρων φιλοσοφικών ρευμάτων που έχουν χρησιμότητα στην καθημερινότητα.
Michelle
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you like self help books and philosophy
Recommended to Michelle by: no one, saw it on a libray shelf and was intrigued by the awesom
i took it as a good review of the most popular ideas from philosophers. it's a how to on philosophical counseling which isn't too popular yet but a great idea, in my opinion (well obviously i'd say that since i have a philosophy degree and am going into counseling, he he). this method of counseling would be like going to your philosophy professor instead of your psychologist to fix a "philosophical problem" like contemplating switching careers, putting your mom in a home, or finding a purpose in ...more
Amanda
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book while searching for a less conventional answer to my emotional distress. I enjoy philosophy and also psychology and this book really hit the spot for me. It was refreshing to hear a psychology focus less on the reason behind your problems (i.e., your poor childhood did it) but rather to see the life philosophies that we hold onto that cause us to ignore other truths about life. What I mean to say is that this book really helped me question the philosophies I had about life ...more
Abal Neto
Não o li por completo, mas basicamente é um livro voltado para pessoas mais velhas. São varias histórias sobre como ele lidou com os problrmas dos pacientes, mas com o passar da leitura, se torna até monótomo. Não é um livro para se ler de vez.
Também o autor tem algo contra psicólogos e vive a falar que filosofia é melhor :v . Mas entendo o ponto dele, alguns psicologos fazem do tratamento uma jornada milenar e filosofar é mais direto, além de dar uma autonomia ao paciente.
Enfim, a leitura fica
...more
Tania
Jul 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much of a "self help" book for me. The title is very appealing, but the first part is just self promotion and bashing on psychology. Was expecting something quite different. Lost interest quickly. Moreover, the second part are examples, so it didn't feed my curiosity. You can prove the validity of any method if the right ones are picked. I didn't read them. Maybe they are compelling. I don't know...
Irma Toro
Es un buen libro para repasar los temas filosóficos que tanto me gustan, sin embargo el hecho de demeritar un poco la labor de la psiquiatría y la psicología sin lograr integrar una real solución desde la filosofía hace que pierda un poco la calidad literaria convirtiéndose en crítica de otras profesiones y defensa de la filosofía. Esperaba algo más profundo.
Jasmeet Salech
Is it only me or did anyone else feel like the author is defending Philosophy a little too much. I am only at page no. 27 and I feel like I am reading the differences between psychology and philosophy for some exam.
xger86x
Apr 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
El libro parece más un gigante folleto de publicidad que otra cosa. La idea de abordar determinados problemas desde una perspectiva psicológica no me parece mala en absoluto, pero el libro se queda tan en la superficie que merece más la pena leer directamente a cualquier filósofo que al autor.
Kehagia Klio
May 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too shallow and promotional. A downer and a disappointment!
Joseph Junior
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanto si te gusta la filosofía o no, es recomendable este libro porque define en pocas páginas las ideas de los diferentes filósofos desde los tiempos olvidados hasta hoy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Moral Relativism
  • A History of Philosophy, Vol. 4: Modern Philosophy, from Descartes to Leibnitz
  • Estudios sobre el amor
  • For the Sake of Argument: Essays and Minority Reports
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • Is There Life After Death? The Extraordinary Science Of What Happens When We Die: Why Science Is Taking The Idea Of An Afterlife Seriously
  • If Minds Had Toes
  • If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path
  • Prehistory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Delusions of Grandeur
  • The Journal of Jules Renard
  • Rousseau's Dog: Two Great Thinkers at War in the Age of Enlightenment
  • Despre îngeri
  • A New Stoicism
  • The Book Of Dead Philosophers
  • Darwin's Armada: Four Voyages and the Battle for the Theory of Evolution
  • Socrates, Buddha, Confucius, Jesus (The Great Philosophers, Vol 1)
  • Alla ricerca delle coccole perdute
34 followers
Louis Joshua Marinoff is a philosopher, author, and philosophical practitioner. Founding President of the American Philosophical Practitioners Association (APPA).
“And yet if every desire were satisfied as soon as it arose how would men occupy their lives, how would they pass the time? Imagine this race transported to a Utopia where everything grows of its own accord and turkeys fly around ready-roasted, where lovers find one another without any delay and keep one another without any difficulty: in such a place some men would die of boredom or hang themselves, some would fight and kill one another, and thus they would create for themselves more suffering than nature inflicts on them as it is.” —ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER” 1 likes
“A big thing can be simply the sum of small things.” 0 likes
More quotes…