Start by marking “Encore to an Empty Room (Exile, #2)” as Want to Read:
Encore to an Empty Room (Exile, #2)

Encore to an Empty Room

(Exile #2)

Summer always wanted Dangerheart—the band of talented exiles she manages—to find success. Now that they've become an overnight sensation, her hard work is really starting to pay off.

So how come her life seems to be snapping like an old guitar string?

Maybe it's because part of her knows that college applications are due soon, but another part of her can't imagine leaving he
Published April 28th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Encore to an Empty Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encore to an Empty Room

Trista
The sequel to Exile finds Dangerheart and Summer struggling with the band's sudden rise to fame while still trying to solve the mystery of the lost songs from Caleb's father. The fact that the band she's managing is finding success should mean great things for Summer but she finds herself at a crossroads between the band and college and who she wants to be.

I ended up enjoying this sequel slightly more than the first book. I still had some of the same problems with it but there was more happening
Kristine
I received an advanced readers copy from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I requested this book from Edelweiss because I thought the synopsis sounded good and at the time I did not realise that it was a sequel in a series. In fact, it wasn't until I was reading it that I began to think that it may be a sequel. Why was that? Because it made absolutely no sense what-so-ever. You know how some sequels can still be read and enjoyed without knowing anything abou
Daphne M.
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-hangover
Wow! The plot twists in this book were insane! Summer was faced with some hard decisions! I'm really worried about Val. Matt got on my nerves so much in this book, but I felt bad for him at the end. Poor Caleb! He just cannot catch a break! John is such a jerk for blaming Caleb for everything; it's not his fault. And Ethan needs to just stop already.

I'm so mad at Maya! I mean, Summer and Matt weren't completely right with what they did to her, but for her to completely turn her back on them was
Myndi
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sequel to Exile was just as good as the first. The same great characters, the same underlying love story, and the same search for lost songs. In addition to all of that, we get to follow along Summer as she attempts to navigate senior year, and decide what she wants from her future and if she can make it match what her parents want for her. I think high school students will really relate to this story and see that they are not alone in their struggles involving the future at this point in th ...more
Jillian Heise
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Standing ovation for Kevin Emerson! I think I'm officially a groupie of this series. I loved Exile, and was anxiously awaiting Encore to an Empty Room, and was sucked back in from the first page. In this second book, which avoids the sophomore slump a trilogy can sometimes fall into, the mystery discovered in the first book takes the headliner role while the romance and band trying to get a recording deal are the opening acts, with the dilemmas a high school senior faces in trying to figure out ...more
Corinne
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
I still am not in love with the main character. Her college essay was the first time I really connected with her, then I went back to not liking her. The road trip was exciting and I couldn't stop reading, but I found all of the band drama a little frustrating and annoying. Caleb is my favorite character because he can be sweet and thoughtful but I can't help but feel like everyone is taking advantage of him. The musical/band element of the book is interesting, though.
Dazz Ross
Definitely more conflict and intrigue in this sequel. Though I still think the romance doesn't really belong here, it was more tolerable in this book, and not too cheesy. There are some interesting questions that are going to pop up for sure in the last 20 pages, but let's see what will happen in the final chapter to this trilogy.
Wendy Windust
Jun 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm 126 pages in and might have to abandon this book. The protagonist, Summer/Catherine, is written in a voice that really gets on my nerves and I find it so hard to like her, let alone buy into her life and struggles. Does this book get any better?
Becky
This was a bit dull and repetitive until the end. I wish it had stuck more closely with the mystery plot line and less with Summer's internal drama (though more plot, less angst is kind of an un-Becky-like thing to say). I get it, Summer, you don't want to write your admissions essay, etc.
Caitlin
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At the end of Exile, Dangerheart became the hot new band once it was revealed that lead singer Caleb is the son of famous artist Eli White-and that Eli has left clues to find his lost songs. In this sequel, the band follows the clues to find Eli's songs, all while Caleb is trying to emerge from his father's shadow. Dangerheart's manager, Catherine Summer Carlson, continues to narrate in this entry. Readers feel connected to the issues that the protagonist faces, and the story line flows easily t ...more
Amanda
I enjoyed this book as the second installment in the series. I found that I'm kind of attached to the characters, especially Val. Looking forward to finishing up the series and finding out more about Eli's life/death? Major plot twist.
Jennifer Taylor
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this series, can’t wait till the next one!
Ashley
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
These books were alright. I didn't LOVE the characters, but there were some good ones. I haven't read the third one, since it isn't available in my library, but I'm kind of... not overly-disappointed about it? They were pretty entertaining, but not my favorite. And I don't know that it needed three separate books. I think I'm also salty because I'm kind of tired of the whole "this girl is different, she isn't the way she seems in front of her parents, she's wild and ambitious and blahblahblahbla ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Catherine is the obedient teen headed to Stanford, but Summer (her other – more authentic personality) is manager for a hot high school band, Dragonheart, and girlfriend of Caleb, the lead singer. This is the story of the band and their quest to find the songs Caleb’s dad left behind when he died, possibly suicide.
Although the story stretches plausibility sometimes, the idea of a high school band on the verge of stardom is certainly appealing. Catherine/Summer is a very typical teen struggling
Jeanette Johnson
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a sequel to Exile. Picking up right where Exile left off, Summer and her band head back on the road looking for the missing songs of Caleb's famous father Eli.

From the School Library Journal:

At the end of Exile (HarperCollins, 2014), Dangerheart became the hot new band once it was revealed that lead singer Caleb is the son of famous artist Eli White—and that Eli has left clues to find his lost songs. In this sequel, the band follows the clues to find Eli's songs, all while Caleb is tryin
Stacee
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I had planned on rating this 2 or 2.5 stars and then the last 2 or 3 chapters happened and my mind was blown.

Still don't really care for Summer. Her wishy washy inner monologue was tiring and mildly annoying. There's a lot of strange dynamics happening with the band and the secondary characters. Some of it seemed almost overdone or added as an afterthought. And I'm not sure how I feel about it.

As always, the music aspect of this series is what keeps me reading. I loved what we learned about El
Ellen
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Summer & Caleb's stories continue in this excellent middle book of a projected trilogy. True to the earlier volume, Exile, this is not just a story of romance told around the central mystery of the missing songs of Caleb's dead rock god dad. Summer/Catherine is having to deal w/ college apps, and the central question of who she is, what she wants, and what she's willing to do to get there. I really appreciate that Summer's voice & issues remain central to the narrative, while at the same ...more
Kristin
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a little difficult getting into this sequel considering I had read the first book a year and a half ago, but once I got going the story came back and there was as much mystery and excitement as the first. I'll admit some details were lost on me due to the long break between books, but that is not the author's fault. I was swept back into the interesting life of being in a touring band and the intriguing mystery that began to unfold in book one. As a reader would expect, there was a great ...more
Alyse
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Encore was a captivating, road trip filled with music, mystery and more! I really enjoyed the pacing of this one, perhaps even more than Exile. I didn't see that plot twist coming at the end. Overall, I really enjoyed the format of this book as well as all of the references, twists and turns that surfaced throughout. I can't wait to see where Dangerheart goes next!
Kelly Sierra
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, arc
And the mystery continues... Summer and the members of Dangerheart are still in the process of finding the lost tapes, and now they are juggling some major success in the media as well. I liked where this book to the story, and I cannot wait to follow the gang to the next place.

3 out of 5 stars. Thanks Edelweiss.
Read InAGarden
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun continuation of the Dragonheart story that began in Exile. Summer and Caleb are still in the business of making the band and their relationship work while at the same time hunting for the lost recordings of Caleb's dead father. A great twist near the end leaves the reader eagerly awaiting final installment Abbey Road.
Megan Tonn
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-2015
I didn't think it was possible to beat the amazingness that was Exile. But Kevin Emerson did just that with this one! I could not put it down. The way Emerson weaves the story together, with all of the different facets and characters, is breathtaking. You will not regret reading this series. The only problem is waiting for the next book!
Karissa Goellner
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
**Indirect Spoilers**

I was SO right about this series on my review of the first book! It is a YA version of How to Kill a Rockstar by Tiffanie DeBartolo! I'll definitely be watching for the third book to come out.
TS
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
At this point in just reading the sequels because I want to know what happens and not because it's interesting. The writing is getting repetitive, there's too much telling and not enough showing, and the plot is getting annoyingly cliché.
April
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was in for a listening treat when it came to Encore To An Empty Room by Kevin Emerson. Read the rest of my review here
Vantoshi
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
It's more like a 2.5 out of 5 stars. I was not entirely impress with the sequel, I expected to be slightly better than the first one, but got disappointed. I'm willingly to read the next installment of the series because I like to torture myself and cause I want to give this book one last chance.
Jennifer Fountain
Great continuation of Exile...but now I have to wait forever until Abbey Road!

I love Kevin's wit and pacing of the story.
Julie
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
wow what a great 2nd book and no slump. I did enjoy this mystery and I can't wait to see how it ends. I loved that they are working on music and their relationship along with college choices.
Lisa Hoang aka The Consummate Reader
4.5 STARS. REVIEW TO COME.
Louisa
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fantastic book, and a wonderful sequel! Loved being with these characters again, and I can't wait to read the next book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Making Pretty
  • Etherworld (Elusion, #2)
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • Caged Warrior
  • Punk Rock Etiquette: The Ultimate How-To-Guide for Punk, Underground, DIY, and Indie Bands
  • The Lovely Reckless
  • Undecided: Navigating Life and Learning After High School
  • When We Wuz Famous
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Perry's Killer Playlist (Perry & Gobi, #2)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan (Justin Goldblatt, #1)
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • Hit Count
  • The Question of Miracles
  • Dreamland Social Club
  • The Cemetery Boys
  • Between Us and the Moon
Author of sixteen novels for children and young adults, most recently LAST DAY ON MARS, BREAKOUT, and the ATLANTEANS series. His books have been published in ten different countries. Formerly a science teacher and a creative writing teacher, Kevin is also a singer and drummer. He has won a spelling bee, lost a beauty pageant, and once appeared in a Swedish TV commercial.

Exile (3 books)
  • Exile (Exile, #1)
  • Finding Abbey Road (Exile #3)