Start by marking “The Better Man (Chicago Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Better Man (Chicago Sisters, #1)

The Better Man

(Chicago Sisters #1)

This might be his last chance at fatherhood…

Kendall Montgomery's six-year-old son has barely spoken in the past year, locked in his world of silent grief. Then one day, he spots his dead father across a crowded street.

Max Jordan moved to Chicago to be closer to his own son and prove he can be a better father than his deadbeat dad. His striking resemblance to Kendall's hu
Paperback
Published (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Better Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Better Man

Melody Cox
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have conflicting views on this story but I must go with my gut on this. While I thought the writing by Amy Vastine was very good and the pleasantness of reading a clean story that didn't include the invariable f-bomb on every page and blatant sex on every other, it was the actual story-line that I did not care for at times. It was intermittent but there were aspects of this story that I just didn't tolerate well. I know there has to be some angst and/or controversy in every book but I didn't c ...more
J.R.
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great adventure Amy took me on, you all! There are just enough sub plots happening, that it made reading about all of these characters so fulfilling and fun. It’s heartbreaking to read about Kendall’s son Simon, and the issues he begins to have after the death of his father but what struck my heart strings even more was the way he picked up on things Kendall had no idea he had picked up on (end of information over load there, no spoilers for you).

Then there’s Max Jordan, who breaks my hea
Lola
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

As soon as I heard of the tour for The Better Man and noticed it was written by Amy Vastine I immediately signed-up. I really enjoyed Amy her first book Th Weather Girl and I was excited to have the chance to read this one as well.

The Better Man is an emotionally charged story about two people who had a hard live and still go through a lot. There where happy and sad moment and it could be hard to see them struggle sometimes, but when they finally
Amanda R
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This author has become a go-to for me. I love the way she spins a tale and can keep you interested.

Kendall deals with more than any widow/single mom should have to. Her husband Trevor a Marine died during combat. When he died so much was going on that their son Simon stopped talking to anyone but his mom and grandma. Kendall felt like she was failing him, he hated going to school and he was just sad most of the time. One day after she picks him up from school after another episode, he sees his d
Katie W
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I can't imagine losing my spouse, but then trying to deal with the effects it has on my kids would be overwhelming. Kendall has a son who is mute most of the time since his father's passing. It's now up to her to build a name for herself in her new business, with her friend, partner, and design school buddy, Owen, as well as deal with her son's issues--and it seems that the school is constantly calling her.

One day, Max is spotted by this mother and son and his resemblance to her d
Christy
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a free ebook in exchange for an honest review which I've given. This review originally appeared on my blog Christy's Cozy Corners.

I absolutely adored The Better Man! I really love reading sweet and clean romance books. Just like the description suggests, they are "heartwarming." They don't have steamy love scenes. They are two normal people falling in love and usually overcoming some difficulties.

Kendall's difficulty lies in her son Simon's inability to communicate since his father'
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-for-review
I knew right away when I saw this blog tour that I wanted to be a part of it. I read another book by Amy Vastine and really enjoyed it. Amy knows how to write a good, clean romance that is engaging. I'm a fan of Harlequin's Heartwarming line because I always know I'm going to get a clean romance without any surprises.

Kendall is a single mother trying to hold everything together. Her son, Simon, has some serious issues going on and Kendall is struggling. She just doesn’t know what to do to help h
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I enjoyed reading this book! Amy Vastine has taken a realistic look at family and what it means to be a good parent.

Max has trust issues. His father abandoned him and his mother before he was born. He didn't understand that paying child support on time did not equate being a good father. Now, he has moved to the same city as his son and ex-wife. He wants to be a part of his son's life, but isn't sure how to go about it.

Kendall is the mother of a boy with select mutism. Her husband died as a sold
Ruth Hill
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, this is a clean romance that will appeal to all romance lovers who do not want profanity, violence, nor bedroom scenes. You will find none of that in this book. You will find a sweet romance that ensures happily ever after with a few twists along the way. And a few of those twists are awfully clever.

There are a couple things about the book that truly stand out as dynamic stylistic characteristics. For one thing, the author switched back and forth between the man's and women's persp
Myra Wardhana
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is always a twin in all of us...

Perhaps that was the biggest surprise in this book when you have to read all the way close to the end to know the biggest secret of all that lays underneath the surprise encounter between Kendall and Max, the man who exactly look alike her dead husband, Trevor.

And the heartbreak part that Max has to endure during the battle custody between him and his ex-wife, Katie, who gave birth to Aidan, their son.

It's kind of rare to find a book that goes the to the lo
Kate Vale
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
Kendall's husband is dead and her son won't speak in school. Until he sees his father--but that man can't be. Max Jordan is a restaurant manager, the spitting image of Kendall's husband. Simon talks to HIM when for others, he clams up, including with his paternal grandfather, who is convinced that Kendall doesn't know how to raise a son, HIS grandson.

Kendall's secrets prevent her from acknowledging how much she is attracted to Max and he to her--but his issues about fatherhood (from his own lack
Catherine Lanigan
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am quickly becoming one of Amy Vastine's biggest fans. I'm anxiously awaiting the next book in her series. Frankly, I wish there were more sisters in this family for me to read. Do yourself a favor, and buy this book if you love believable romances. I could not put it down and for me, that's ususual. Standing ovation, Amy!
Chrisann
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It grabbed my attention from page one! I simply could not put it down until I was finished. The character development was intense and quick, making me fall in love with the main characters by the second chapter. I was very intrigued to find out what had happened to them and what was going to fix them. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Ry
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been in a bit of a funk lately and unable to read anything. A bit depressed I guess. But last night I picked up this book to try to get myself back in the groove and I could not put it down. I devoured it. It's such a great story and you can't help but to love the characters. It's a must read
Carol
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
When I received this book I didn't realize it was a Harlequin book, I usually only read Christian fiction or YA. I did enjoy this story line and and the people were interesting. It had an interesting twist that I didn't expect. Thanks for the opportunity to read and review.
Tracy
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't think of anything I didn't like in this book. Kendall is great, Max is greater and how the story turns out is the greatest:-) This was a very easy read with many characters that are easy to connect with. Problems were addressed leaving no loose ends. Really liked it!
Obsmama
Gobbled it up!

what great characters! I love how well thought out this story is and how developed the characters are! I couldn't put it down. Simon stole my heart chapter one, and Max omg Max is a swoon SOB.
Peggy
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
~Received for an honest review~

First time ever reading from this author and was completely impressed. Her work is well written and easy to follow. This particular storyline is heart grabbing. Emotional, and will have you planted once you started reading. Well done Amy Vastine!

Lindsey
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I really like this author. Great romance with side stories but not too wordy. A unique story line I didn't see coming. Enjoyed it. 4 solid stars can't wait to read about the other sisters!
Bia
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-i-have
I really liked this book! It's full of all good things and the way every person can change and make thinks better.
I'll write a proper review soon!
Carolamex
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I would read each and every book that this author gifts us, she is a really great story teller. Loved this story. Very well written, compelling characters and plot.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Chicago Sisters
Nancy
Kendall & Max. A bit schmaltsy but SO much to like in this story.
Max is a very real hero as his flaws are evident early. This is quite a contrast to the alpha heroes in most of the romances I read. It is easy to relate to him.
Kendall has a real challenge with the special needs of her 6 year-old son, Simon.
The plot has no “filler” and really moves along !
This is my first book by this author and I look forward to reading more by her. I will definitely look for the rest of the Chicago Sis
Betsy VandenBerg
  • His Hometown Girl
  • Holly Hearts Hollywood
  • Always
  • Sense and Sensibility: A Latter-Day Tale
  • One Perfect Year (A Harmony Valley Novel #4)
  • Angel's Assassin
  • The Wanting Heart
  • The Second Son (Kings of Cardenas #2)
  • Some Like It in Handcuffs
  • The Bluebird Bet (Welcome to Tall Pines #2)
  • The Unlikely Gift of Treasure Blume
  • Playing the Maestro
  • Covering Home
  • The Bad Boy of Butterfly Harbor (Butterfly Harbor #1)
  • Cross the Ocean
  • Cursed be the Wicked
  • The Christmas Bride (The Burnett Brides, #4)
  • A Family Like Hannah's (Seasons of Alaska #4)
Amy Vastine has been plotting stories in her head for as long as she can remember. An eternal optimist, she studied social work, hoping to teach others how to find their silver lining. Now, she enjoys creating happily ever afters for all to read. Amy lives outside Chicago with her high school sweetheart-turned-husband, three fun-loving children, and their sweet but mischievous puppy dog.

Chicago Sisters (3 books)
  • The Best Laid Plans (Chicago Sisters, #2)
  • The Hardest Fight (Chicago Sisters #3)