Start by marking “Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)

Flury: Journey of a Snowman

(Claus #3)

Life hasn’t been kind to Oliver Toye.

As if juvenile diabetes isn’t enough, he’s forced to live with his tyrannical grandmother in a snow-bound house. He spends his days doing chores and the nights listening to the forest rumble.

But when he discovers the first leather-bound journal, the family secrets begin to surface. The mystery of his great-grandfather’s voyage to the No
Published October 21st 2014 by DeadPixel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Flury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flury

Start your review of Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)
Donald Hoffman
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, through the generosity of the author, I received a copy of Flury in exchange for an unbiased review. I happened on Tony Bertauski's work when I bought Claus: The Legend of the Fat Man. I admit I am a Christmas story addict and I hope to never recover. Mr. Bertauski's annual foray into Christmas legends should keep that hope alive.

Even though Oliver's move to his Grandmother's home in Colorado started out in a dark and foreboding manner, it was written in a much more light-hearted ma
Tony Bertauski
Aug 04, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
BERTAUSKI STARTER LIBRARY is FREE!
Get 3 full-length novels and 1 novella…Just tell me where to send them.
Sheila
Tony Bertauski’s Flury is surely one of those novels that’s just too good to be true. Totally absorbing, thoroughly enthralling, it draws the reader in until you’ll believe in walking snowmen, short fat elves, and even Nicolaus Santa (who really has very little to do with the tale, but lives at the North Pole).

Fifteen-year-old Oliver has diabetes and likes to read zombie novels. His mom’s a failed hippie. His dad’s disappeared. And now the family’s off to stay with his grandmother in her creepy
Bryce Wilson
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Flurry: Journey of a Snowman
By: Tony Bertauski

Flury is a wonderful love story. I do not normally read love stories and many would not call this book such. But after reading it I realize that it was indeed a love story. The love of an elven for a man. the love of a boy for a girl. the love of a mother for her child. and the love of a abominable snowman for a race of people not yet ready to understand all that he is.

Right from the beginning you are drawn into the story as a mystery begins to devel
Louize
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc, 2014

Wow! I have to say, Tony Bertauski outdid himself with this sequel. The sense of humor, mystery, and the love moving along the pages are simply wonderful. It was thoroughly absorbing; I didn't let go until I am done. The story, like the two books before it, can turn a reader into a believer of the impossible. I mean, I am not a huge fan of Scifi Fantasy, but I am totally dumbfounded by this one.

If you’re still wondering why people build snowmen in front of their houses…
…read this book!

Read full
Teresa Kander
This was my favorite book of the series. Oliver is an extremely likable character, and I found myself rooting him on as he found ways to circumvent his grandmother's rules and begin to learn the truth about "the property." Once he finds out the secrets, the reader is off on another wild ride to the conclusion.
There is a great deal of humor in the story, and some really fun dialogue. I fell in love with Oliver's friend, Molly, from the moment we were introduced to her and learned she was wearing
Sophie David
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It was so so good. I love snowmen and I found this different view on them totally spellbinding! I would encourage everyone to read this! It can be read at any time but right now in the middle of Winter is perfect. We follow Oliver as he tries to get to grips with life at the cold and eerie house his grandmother lives in. Slowly he finds that things aren't all that they seem. He discovers a carved wooden orb and life gets exciting from there on! He finds things easie ...more
Suzanne
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
Flury: Journey of a Snowman is the third book I have read by Tony Bertauski. I loved the others and this one did not disappoint. It tells the story of Oliver Toye and his adventures while learning life isn't always as it seems. The story brought back a few of the characters from the previous stories in small snippets (just enough to make you nostalgic for the previous books but not so much that it distracted from this one). I was excited to see that there are three other books planned in this se ...more
Lisa
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-liked
Flury was truly a treat. The author is a born story teller, and Flury just flowed. Sometimes when you just need a change from over the top sex scenes to too many dead bodies to count, this story is a refreshing pause. While there may be other books in this series, I had not read them when I started Flury so the book is easily a stand alone - although there are a few hints that made going back to earlier stories something I look forward to doing. Really worth the time to read!
Melba
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
Another hit from Tony Bertauski!!

I just love how he takes classic fairy-tale subjects and reworks them, because it adds a whole new dimension to the stories.

All of Tony's books have been interesting to read, and this one is no exception. I look forward to reading the next installments in this series, and I am also looking forward to Bricks - in the Clay trilogy.
Lauren
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a little harder to read than the previous book in the series, but I was joyful nonetheless. I sunk into the book and felt like I was there. I was anxious when something was happening, and sad when other things happened. I still think this is one of my favorite series and I look forward to the next book.
Bollinger
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is amazing to me that three books by the same author, in the same series, with some of the same recurring characters could be so wildly different as Claus, Jack, and now Flury. You just can't get bored reading these books. They are my newest Christmas season tradition. Can't wait for the next one, and the next, and the next.... ...more
April
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I love the concept of how this book is written. The story once again introduces a brand new set of characters, starting out with a young man discovering some journals that his great-grandfather had written in the 1880s, after he survived a tragic accident that left him stranded in the Arctic. The story combines the two time periods via a retelling of the words written on the ancient pages, through a teenager's outlook. I would have loved to find something unique like that, and have th ...more
Debbie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last book of the Claus series is also the best of the three, in my opinion. While there's plenty of unexpected twists and surprises in the story, it's the characters that make the book excellent. The main characters, Oliver and Molly, are the best developed, but Oliver's mother and grandmother are also portrayed well. I particularly liked Oliver's mom. The book is a crazy mix of stark reality (Oliver's diabetes) and futuristic fiction ( elves with technology!) with the occasional tidbit of r ...more
Chris Wells
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having enjoyed Claus, Legend of the Fat Man and Jack, The Tale of Frost I was looking forward to reading this addition to the series. Although there are some familiar characters this book had a slightly different feel to it than the others. That’s not a bad thing at all and I loved it. There’s a tense atmosphere to the whole story and a tension to the scenes where Oliver is searching for answers that had me hooked from the start. Another great sci-fi reimagining of mythical characters we all thi ...more
Jim Kratzok
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story

But it's not all sweetness and light. There's a dark vein running deep in this book. Oliver and his mother are down on their luck and go to live with her mother. Ol' grandma is a serious buzzkill but the house is interesting, especially the "off-limits" areas. Oliver finds his great grandfather's journals a d begins to learn some family history that grandmother would rather he didn't.

Thus was a fun story with some tense moments. It's a good Y/A book with nothing too "adult themed."
Joshua Hair
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mister Bertauski is one heck of an original writer! I'm telling you, folks, you need to be on the lookout for this fella. So far, all three of his Claus books have supremely impressed me. I'm gearing up to read the new one (Humbug) shortly, so let's hope he can keep it going. Anyone who's interesting in Christmas at all will fall in love with Mister Bertauski's highly unique concepts and just darn good story telling. ...more
Kristina
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Weird.
Weird was a common feeling for the main character in this book - a 15ish diabetic ("the needle kind") who experiences the supernatural - and weird for the reader too.
It was a fun winter/snow/Colorado book but, man, was it weird!
This is a decent YA book for a kid who reads a lot and is willing to ride out the weird to get the point.
I wouldn't recommend the audio version - This was my least favorite narrated book / narrator.
Wendy
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars (Audio version)

Third in Tony Bertauski’s “Claus” series; a good stand-alone story.

Oliver Toye is forced to live with his overbearing grandmother in a remote, snowbound house, doing chores and living without wi-fi and electronics. When he discovers old journals, family secrets surface.

Enjoyed the story and the links back to the first book in the series. The technical explanations in the second half were a bit too technical for me, but I still enjoyed the story and this series.
Ami
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tony Bertauski, once again shares his great wordsmithing talents and vivid imagination. I love the entire Claus universe! I truly enjoyed Flury and the emotional roller coaster it throws you on, er, I mean provides, lol. I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Read via Kindle Unlimited
Sally Hannoush
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What can I say about this book? It was awesome. A great epic type of story. I love the characters, the magic, and the journal entries. I will be reading more of this holiday collection. This is book three. It really made me see things in a different way. Everyone should read this!
Diana Sandberg
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than the last 2. I was rather more engaged with the central characters, and the story seemed to be more about them than about the science/magic. I did get a bit lost in the maelstrom of events at the climax, but altogether I enjoyed this one.
Diana
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting story. Not exactly what I had expected, however it was really good. Oliver was always a good kid and always stayed true to his beliefs. This book makes you go though many emotions; happiness, sadness, anger etc. I really enjoyed it.
Sara Avrams
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Help I couldn't stop reading this book!

I particularly liked the journals in the book. I also really appreciated the discussions about the issues children with juvenile diabetes face.

LOVE THE STORY!!!
Yvonne M Wilt
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite

The entire not series so far has been amazing. Great books to lose yourself in. The characters are relatable and believable. I love that this series, although related, don't have to be read in order. Tony Bertauski is a very creative author. I love this series!!
Evelyn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tony weaves a story that gets into your head. The characters were easy to like/dislike. The ending was a surprise. I'm glad I own this book. It will be great for re-reading. ...more
Susan
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this -- really kept my interest and was concerned about the characters -- more so than any book in the series. Super bittersweet.
Ann Thomas
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this straight after Claus and Jack Frost, so the story was fresh in my mind, but I think it would stand alone too. A mystery, a love story, and a thriller. Great stuff.
Becky Adams
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you believe?

I loved this book. It has all the charm of a child's tale with the suspense of a novel. I recommend all of Mr. Bertauski's books .
Leona
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
So many twists and turns, Good right to the end

• Shine in Pearl
  • Under a Gilded Moon
  • Starfoot (Bob and Nikki, #4)
  • Hazel and Gray (Faraway, #2)
  • Bob's Saucer Repair (Bob and Nikki, #1)
  • A Killing Frost (October Daye, #14)
  • The Glass Woman
  • Pale Rider: The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How It Changed the World
  • A Splendid Ruin
  • Midlife Ghost Hunter (Forty Proof, #4)
  • Divided Sky (David Wolf #13)
  • Beyond the Pale (Beyond, #3)
  • But Not For Love (Clint Wolf #9)
  • Echoes of Betrayal (Paladin's Legacy, #3)
  • Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy, #5)
  • Deeds of Honor
  • Kings of the North (Paladin's Legacy, #2)
  • But Not For Naught (Clint Wolf Mystery #5)
Get my books FREE. Tell me where to send them at http://bertauski.com

He grew up in the Midwest where the land is flat and the corn is tall. The winters are bleak and cold. He hated winters.

He always wanted to write. But writing was hard. And he wasn’t very disciplined. The cold had nothing to do with that, but it didn’t help. That changed in grad school.

After several attempts at a proposal, his ma

Claus (8 books)
  • Claus: Legend of the Fat Man (Claus, #1)
  • Jack: The Tale of Frost (Claus, #2)
  • Humbug: The Unwinding of Ebenezer Scrooge (Claus, #4)
  • Claus: Rise of the Miser (Claus #5)
  • Ronin: The Last Reindeer (Claus #6)
  • Toyland: The Legacy of Wallace Noel (Claus #7)
  • Gingerman: In Search of the Toymaker (Claus #8)