Start by marking “Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)

Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus #3)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Life hasn’t been kind to Oliver Toye.

As if juvenile diabetes isn’t enough, he’s forced to live with his tyrannical grandmother in a snow-bound house. He spends his days doing chores and the nights listening to the forest rumble.

But when he discovers the first leather-bound journal, the family secrets begin to surface. The mystery of his great-grandfather’s voyage to the No
Published October 21st 2014 by DeadPixel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Flury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flury

Donald Hoffman
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, through the generosity of the author, I received a copy of Flury in exchange for an unbiased review. I happened on Tony Bertauski's work when I bought Claus: The Legend of the Fat Man. I admit I am a Christmas story addict and I hope to never recover. Mr. Bertauski's annual foray into Christmas legends should keep that hope alive.

Even though Oliver's move to his Grandmother's home in Colorado started out in a dark and foreboding manner, it was written in a much more light-hearted ma
Tony Bertauski
Aug 04, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
BERTAUSKI STARTER LIBRARY is FREE!
Get 3 full-length novels and 1 novella…Just tell me where to send them.
Sheila
Tony Bertauski’s Flury is surely one of those novels that’s just too good to be true. Totally absorbing, thoroughly enthralling, it draws the reader in until you’ll believe in walking snowmen, short fat elves, and even Nicolaus Santa (who really has very little to do with the tale, but lives at the North Pole).

Fifteen-year-old Oliver has diabetes and likes to read zombie novels. His mom’s a failed hippie. His dad’s disappeared. And now the family’s off to stay with his grandmother in her creepy
Bryce Wilson
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Flurry: Journey of a Snowman
By: Tony Bertauski

Flury is a wonderful love story. I do not normally read love stories and many would not call this book such. But after reading it I realize that it was indeed a love story. The love of an elven for a man. the love of a boy for a girl. the love of a mother for her child. and the love of a abominable snowman for a race of people not yet ready to understand all that he is.

Right from the beginning you are drawn into the story as a mystery begins to devel
Sophie David
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It was so so good. I love snowmen and I found this different view on them totally spellbinding! I would encourage everyone to read this! It can be read at any time but right now in the middle of Winter is perfect. We follow Oliver as he tries to get to grips with life at the cold and eerie house his grandmother lives in. Slowly he finds that things aren't all that they seem. He discovers a carved wooden orb and life gets exciting from there on! He finds things easie ...more
Louize
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites, 2014

Wow! I have to say, Tony Bertauski outdid himself with this sequel. The sense of humor, mystery, and the love moving along the pages are simply wonderful. It was thoroughly absorbing; I didn't let go until I am done. The story, like the two books before it, can turn a reader into a believer of the impossible. I mean, I am not a huge fan of Scifi Fantasy, but I am totally dumbfounded by this one.

If you’re still wondering why people build snowmen in front of their houses…
…read this book!

Read full
Teresa Kander
This was my favorite book of the series. Oliver is an extremely likable character, and I found myself rooting him on as he found ways to circumvent his grandmother's rules and begin to learn the truth about "the property." Once he finds out the secrets, the reader is off on another wild ride to the conclusion.
There is a great deal of humor in the story, and some really fun dialogue. I fell in love with Oliver's friend, Molly, from the moment we were introduced to her and learned she was wearing
Suzanne
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
Flury: Journey of a Snowman is the third book I have read by Tony Bertauski. I loved the others and this one did not disappoint. It tells the story of Oliver Toye and his adventures while learning life isn't always as it seems. The story brought back a few of the characters from the previous stories in small snippets (just enough to make you nostalgic for the previous books but not so much that it distracted from this one). I was excited to see that there are three other books planned in this se ...more
Lisa
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-liked
Flury was truly a treat. The author is a born story teller, and Flury just flowed. Sometimes when you just need a change from over the top sex scenes to too many dead bodies to count, this story is a refreshing pause. While there may be other books in this series, I had not read them when I started Flury so the book is easily a stand alone - although there are a few hints that made going back to earlier stories something I look forward to doing. Really worth the time to read!
Lauren
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a little harder to read than the previous book in the series, but I was joyful nonetheless. I sunk into the book and felt like I was there. I was anxious when something was happening, and sad when other things happened. I still think this is one of my favorite series and I look forward to the next book.
Melba
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
Another hit from Tony Bertauski!!

I just love how he takes classic fairy-tale subjects and reworks them, because it adds a whole new dimension to the stories.

All of Tony's books have been interesting to read, and this one is no exception. I look forward to reading the next installments in this series, and I am also looking forward to Bricks - in the Clay trilogy.
Bollinger
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is amazing to me that three books by the same author, in the same series, with some of the same recurring characters could be so wildly different as Claus, Jack, and now Flury. You just can't get bored reading these books. They are my newest Christmas season tradition. Can't wait for the next one, and the next, and the next....
April
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I love the concept of how this book is written. The story once again introduces a brand new set of characters, starting out with a young man discovering some journals that his great-grandfather had written in the 1880s, after he survived a tragic accident that left him stranded in the Arctic. The story combines the two time periods via a retelling of the words written on the ancient pages, through a teenager's outlook. I would have loved to find something unique like that, and have th ...more
Debbie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last book of the Claus series is also the best of the three, in my opinion. While there's plenty of unexpected twists and surprises in the story, it's the characters that make the book excellent. The main characters, Oliver and Molly, are the best developed, but Oliver's mother and grandmother are also portrayed well. I particularly liked Oliver's mom. The book is a crazy mix of stark reality (Oliver's diabetes) and futuristic fiction ( elves with technology!) with the occasional tidbit of r ...more
Kristina
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Weird.
Weird was a common feeling for the main character in this book - a 15ish diabetic ("the needle kind") who experiences the supernatural - and weird for the reader too.
It was a fun winter/snow/Colorado book but, man, was it weird!
This is a decent YA book for a kid who reads a lot and is willing to ride out the weird to get the point.
I wouldn't recommend the audio version - This was my least favorite narrated book / narrator.
Joshua Hair
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mister Bertauski is one heck of an original writer! I'm telling you, folks, you need to be on the lookout for this fella. So far, all three of his Claus books have supremely impressed me. I'm gearing up to read the new one (Humbug) shortly, so let's hope he can keep it going. Anyone who's interesting in Christmas at all will fall in love with Mister Bertauski's highly unique concepts and just darn good story telling.
Diana Sandberg
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than the last 2. I was rather more engaged with the central characters, and the story seemed to be more about them than about the science/magic. I did get a bit lost in the maelstrom of events at the climax, but altogether I enjoyed this one.
Sally Hannoush
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What can I say about this book? It was awesome. A great epic type of story. I love the characters, the magic, and the journal entries. I will be reading more of this holiday collection. This is book three. It really made me see things in a different way. Everyone should read this!
Diana
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting story. Not exactly what I had expected, however it was really good. Oliver was always a good kid and always stayed true to his beliefs. This book makes you go though many emotions; happiness, sadness, anger etc. I really enjoyed it.
Evelyn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tony weaves a story that gets into your head. The characters were easy to like/dislike. The ending was a surprise. I'm glad I own this book. It will be great for re-reading.
Ann Thomas
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this straight after Claus and Jack Frost, so the story was fresh in my mind, but I think it would stand alone too. A mystery, a love story, and a thriller. Great stuff.
Susan
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this -- really kept my interest and was concerned about the characters -- more so than any book in the series. Super bittersweet.
Sherry Fundin
I have read end reviewed Tony Bertauski’s original stories of Claus: Legend of the Fat Man and Jack: The Tale of Frost, so I am eager to begin on Flury: Journey of a Snowman. Tony’s ability to spin a tale and create new worlds is amazing. Every time I open one of his books, I am ready to be taken to a place I have never been before and meet characters that worm their way into my heart, at least most of them, and leaving me hoping I will see them again.

Malcolm Toye became separated from the group
Emmy
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Flury is a very exciting and suspenseful tale of a family's secret of the supernatural.

I agonized over the rating because Tony has become my "go-to" author when I want to immerse in a new dimension with unnatural characters and a sci fi twist. If I'm finding myself drowning in 1-2 star books, I pull up a Bertauski original and easily throw five stars up on the board with a satisfied smile.

Flury, however, lacked that extra magical touch. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oliver has a relatable
John J Questore
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tony hit it out of the park, again. Hopefully you've read my reviews of his other books - Claus (Legend of the Fat Man), Jack (The Tale of Frost), and his latest Humbug (The Unwinding of Ebenezer Scrooge). If you haven't go ahead and do so. I'll wait.

Tony has a fantastic way of taking Christmas legends and turning them into a sci-fi, steampunk, heartfelt, joy ride. And Flury is no exception. It's reminiscent of the story of Frosty the Snowman - but a snowman coming to life is the only true simil
Wendy
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Very much enjoyed this third book in Bertauski's Claus series. This book brings back a little of the magic that hooked me Claus: Legend of a Fat Man and that I found missing in Jack. While it is probably not necessary to read Claus first, I would recommend it prior to reading this book. I absolutely love the world of Elven that Bertauski has created. They are magical and in each book I find a little bit of the Christmas magic that turns us all into kids for the holidays. Love this author and his ...more
Chuck Bush
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe!

Tony Bertauski has created an intriguing world. An extension to our own, a race watching and waiting for the right time to join us. The Claus books are all gems. This one is no exception. If you haven't read the previous two, do so. They will make "Flury: Journey of a Snowman" even more special. Even as a stand alone, it is an exceptional read.
Zoë
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. Set in a modern day setting it was easier to read and follow than the last two books. The grandmother always came across as so mean and heartless while all the time she was just trying to protect her family x
Charles M, Lowham
A Good mystery for us oldest.

Very interesting, kept me curious and reading more. I liked I t. Would be fun to read to the Grand Kids.
Amanda
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this story!!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • OMG (Oh My God) (CUL8R Time Travel Mystery, #1)
  • Sela (Leland Dragon #2)
  • Divided against Yourselves (Spell Weaver, #2)
  • Read Me Dead
  • Born to Magic (Tales of Nevaeh, #1)
  • The Vampire Hunter's Daughter Collectors Edition (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter, #1-3)
  • At Odds with Destiny
  • The League of Delphi (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • Staying Human
  • The Reckoning (The Marenon Chronicles, #3)
  • The Trials of Caste (Paladin of a Hidden God, #1)
  • Demon Inhibitions (Caitlin Diggs #3)
  • Saint Sloan (Saint Sloan #1)
  • Whatever Happened to Mourning Free? Book 3 of the Olivia series
  • Through the Portal (Through the Portal #1)
  • Incantation Paradox
  • The Alhambra Decree (Flower from Castile Trilogy, #1)
Get my books FREE. Tell me where to send them at http://bertauski.com

He grew up in the Midwest where the land is flat and the corn is tall. The winters are bleak and cold. He hated winters.

He always wanted to write. But writing was hard. And he wasn’t very disciplined. The cold had nothing to do with that, but it didn’t help. That changed in grad school.

After several attempts at a proposal, his ma

Claus (5 books)
  • Claus: Legend of the Fat Man (Claus,#1)
  • Jack: The Tale of Frost (Claus, #2)
  • Humbug: The Unwinding of Ebenezer Scrooge (Claus, #4)
  • Claus (Rise of the Miser): A Science Fiction Adventure

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)